About Hotel du Vin York

• desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • bathrobes
  • iron
  • paid private parking on site
  • taxi service
  • dvd cd player

Good

Not sure what all the fuss is about

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2013

"Went for a weekend break in York, and having heard a lot about HdV, thought we would try it out. Reading some of the reviews on this site we were expecting something special, but it didn't really come up to standard - at a weekend rate of £175 per night (room only), we were disappointed to be shown into a badly-lit smallish room right above the kitchen (we were assailed by the smell of bacon fat at the crack of dawn, and like an earlier reviewer, our smoke alarm was set off several times by the fumes). The bed was certainly comfortable, but they're also comfortable at the Premier Inn, and that's half the price and only just up the street. Not that we slept very well, what with the kitchen ventilation system, the noisy in-room air conditioning and the fact that the room overlooked the bar terrace. And there are SERIOUS problems with the bistro here - six main menu items were "off", we waited an hour and a half for our main course and it was the same story again at breakfast (my top tip for HdV, besides, would be to employ a breakfast chef who actually knows how to fry an egg). When we were leaving, we saw that someone had written in the visitors book that this is "just a posh B&B", which seems pretty spot on to me. I wouldn't bother again (unless they bring down their prices - the midweek rate of £99 sounds about right). Perhaps the more expensive rooms are a better deal, but frankly a roll-top bath, upstairs or anywhere else, doesn't do it for me, so I'd rather save my money for spending out and about in York than put it into the HdV coffers.

PS. One last thing - checking out, I discovered a mysterious £28 "supplement" on my bill, which was removed when I queried it. I mention this because although I've not stayed overnight at an HdV before, I have eaten in their bistros at Winchester and Brighton, and every time (four out of four) I've been charged for something I didn't order. Coincidence? Or policy? Who knows, but my advice is to check your bill carefully..."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of July 2008

Grea hotel and bistro!

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2013

"We loved our stay at the hotel. We had a superior room, which I would highly recommend. The bathroom is upstairs in a loft area and was fabulous. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were comfortable and stylish. The hotel itself had many different areas you could relax in: a bar, outside courtyard, library. We really enjoyed our stay here. It was also nice to have the bistro attached to the hotel. It had quite good food and a wonderful sommelier. He introduced us to a wine we had never tried and it's now one of our favourites. The only slightly negative thing I would say about our experience is the room we stayed at was right next to a busy road and we were woken up early in the morning by the traffic. It would have been perfect stay if I had to get up early or wasn't a light sleeper."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of July 2008

very comfortable

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2013

"Stayed here for one night. unfortunately only arrived about 5pm and it was raining so not able to see much of York.

Hotel is lovely. found space in the car park and check in was easy. We were accompanied up to our room which was a deluxe with a bathroom upstairs ( novel ). The bath was massive so much so that my wife said she kept slipping down it as she couldn't reach the other end with her feet ! the shower was also massive with a big rainwater shower head. bed was very comfortable.

Had breakfast the next morning in the bistro. didn't intend to but it was chucking it down so we decided to stay inside. it's not cheap but was good and plenty of choice .

Would definitely stay here again, despite the price - sometimes you pay for what you get !"

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

Fantastic hotel

Reviewed Fri 18th of January 2013

"Stayed here for one night in May and loved it.

We stayed in Planeta, all the rooms are named after wine companies which i thought was a really nice touch & different. As for the bedroom it was really nice and very comfortable.

We paid £99.00 for the night and it was worth every penny.

So glad to see York get a hotel like this, it really suits the city.

This is the best hotel we have stayed in at York."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of June 2008

Not quite up to the standards of others

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2013

"To put it bluntly I have stayed in better Hotel du Vins. The one in Glasgow springs to mind.

In saying that, this wasn't bad ... it just wasn't quite up to the standard I was expecting. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room was fine. We were in the new bit across the road from the main building. It had a nice comfortable bed and a bathroom upstairs, which was rather different. However, I could not stand up in the shower and its temperature varied somewhat. I'm 6' 3" which should not prove difficult for a newly installed shower!

We had dinner in the Bistro, which was nice but noisy. Excellent sommelier though."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of June 2008

A Great Hotel

Reviewed Sat 19th of January 2013

"We were checked in very quickly and both receptionists were polite and very helpful, our room was great and very quiet, the room itself was very modern and had everything a traveler would need, the bar was great with a good selection of bottled beers at a reasonable price, but be aware there are no draft beers at all!

The hotel is situated just outside the walls of York and is only a short walk from the city centre (about 15 mins), I have stayed in several York hotels and would say that this Hotel is up there among the top 3, but be aware that because this is a 'Du Vin' hotel you have to expect the odd pretentious idiot, usually taking the form of a middle aged female who insists on saying 'Ya Ya i am in the Du Vin' very loudly ove rthe phone and asking for Champaign by the glass, you know who you are! But dont let this put you off staying here, they are few and far between.

Overall a great stay and worth the price!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of June 2008

A wonderful experience

Reviewed Thu 24th of January 2013

"We stayed here for our first anniversary in the Raoul Collet room and loved it.

After a bad experience at HdV in Birmingham which prompted me to write a letter of complaint (which they never bothered to reply to), I was put off HdVs completely. However my husband booked this as a surprise and it was wonderful.

It's definitely worth the extra £20 for a superior room as the extra space, roll top bath and huge shower made it all feel so much more luxurious. We paid £165 for dinner, bed and breakfast. This basically means £27.50 per head to spend on the a la carte menu at dinner (compared to a paltry £16 on the same deal at Malmaison).

Dinner in the bistro was delicious, cocktails on the terrace while reading the sunday papers were delightful, the staff were friendly and efficient. I'm looking forward to returning in the winter to take advantage of the big leather sofas and real fires.

Prices can be expensive but there are also reasonable options available, just make sure you know what you are buying (for example, choose a glass of wine from the menu, don't just ask for a glass of dry white.)

Thanks HdV, York....we'll definitely be back soon!"

• Travel date: Thu 12th of June 2008

disappointing

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2013

"I recently stayed there with my partner and another couple. We fortunately had a very good rate, otherwise I would have been extremely annoyed.
The room had a bathroom with a door that would not fully close and the shower handle kept dropping off. I also thought that the bathroom was dangerous, as it was very difficult getting in to tthe bath for a shower. The bath was high and the shower screen didn't move.
On our second day, we returned at 3.45pm to find the room was not ready and it took nearly 45mins until it was finished. The breakfast was disappointing in that the selection was very poor and the full English had poached eggs like rubber - inedible! However, the worse was yet to come. We ate in the restaurant for our final meal and I though it was good but very expensive for what was served. My partner was not thrilled with having his steak served on a chopping board - he thought it was unhygenic. One of our party had the cheese board and was offered port. What the waitress failed to say was that it would cost £9.75. The same thing happened with the wine that was bought later. I had a glass of house white for about £5.50. When I was offered another glass it was different wine and appeared on the final bill at checkout as being £14 per glass AND I had two - what a shock.
I was really lookming forward to this trip and have to say that it did not live up to expectation. I can only say that thank goodness the rate was good."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of June 2008

Superb - we'll be back!

Reviewed Thu 17th of January 2013

"We stayed in the Hartenberg room for 2 nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The room was superb. Massive bed, Huge bath and a shower big enough to have a party in. Worth every single penny.

Staff were friendly and very helpful. We would certainly stay here, and other Hotel Du Vins again."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of May 2008

Good hotel, slightly on the expensive side for the facilities it offers

Reviewed Fri 25th of January 2013

"HdV York is a brand new hotel, and feels it. Everything is finished to very high standard and the even the standard rooms have a very high quality bathroom with a large bath.

The bistro at the hotel was very good, with excellent service and food. The bar also made excellent cocktails.

The only real drawback was the slow checkout at the end of the weekend. Not wanting to join the long queue, we took the express checkout option, and ended up getting overcharged by £300. This has since been resolved, but is annoying nonetheless.

HdV has the cheek to suggest in the room services guide that guests should check out early in order to avoid the check out queues between 10.30am-11am on Sunday morning. Why should I sacrifice my Sunday lie-in?? Why can't HdV print out the bill for each room early on Sunday morning and slip them under the door in an express checkout envelope??

Slow checkout aside, I'm still a fan of HdV. They are a consistent hotel brand, offering tasteful and comfortable accomodation and an excellent alternative to the usual big chains. They're pushing their luck on the pricing, and £140 (room only) for a standard room is comparable with the York Hilton which is much more central.

Good points
Excellent bar and restuarant
Very comfortable bed.
Luxurious bathroom with big bath

Bad points
Long checkout queue
Errors on bill
£140 for a standard room, no breakfast"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of May 2008

Beautiful Hotel

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2013

"After booking a standard room we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded upon arrival to a superior room.

The hotel itself is a few months old and are still finishing the grounds etc and resolving the 'snagging issues' but that did not effect our stay at all.

Our room was air conditioned with a large comfy bed, fluffy pillows, crisp linen, cozy duvet, a fully stocked minibar, magazine selection, DVD player (with selection of DVDs at reception).

The bathroom was up a few stairs from the room and was as big as the bedroom itself, the floor was heated so great to walk on. There was a large freestanding tub in the middle of the room and a shower big enough for half a football team. The shower head was about a foot wide and the water rained down - endless supply. Although we had a minor leak of a few drips from our room into the library below.

There were complimentary dressing gowns within the bathroom which were not the usual laundered within an inch of their lives cripsy affairs as you often get with other hotels. The complimentary bathroom items were in 125ml sized bottles by Aaron Aromatics and there was a note encouraging you to take them away.

Breakfast was either a continental or fully cooked choice at a rate of £10 - £13.50. The quality and choice were second to none. As somebody has previously mentioned all Holiday Inn managers should look at this to see how they can sort their standards out.

We didn't eat evening meal in the hotel but the restaurant always seemed busy. The bar was extremely well stocked and had knowledgable staff who encouraged you to try somthing different rather than stick to your usual choices.

All the staff were exceptionally helpful and couldn't do enough to help.

Even though we are not smokers there was a specially designed smoking hut in the grounds with heating, leather chairs, widescreen TV etc."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of February 2008

Do do de du Vin!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"We got a good dinner, bed and breakfast deal for a superior room and stayed one night late January 2008 at the York Hotel du Vin. The hotel is an easy ten minute walk from the railway station and about the same into the centre of the city (downhill on the way in).
Without exception we found the staff to be lovely, friendly and helpful; professional but relaxed. They all seemed genuinely proud of the new hotel.
Our room on the first floor above the main bistro area (called Schloss something) was the kind of room that makes you late for dinner...really comfy kingsize bed, flat screen tv, open plan bathroom with big bath, walk in shower and under floor heating...lovely.
The bar area is smaller than the bars in the Harrogate or Brighton HdV's but has smaller rooms off it with squidgey settees and leather armchairs for good chillin' out!
The Bistro is popular and had a good buzz about it. Food was lovely, big portions and really obliging staff (plenty of them as well). Breakfast was great; big selection of cereals and fruits and the best cooked english breakfast I have ever had (tasty sausages, bacon, black pud etc etc), all served with a smile.
The Hotel du Vin might be more pricey than other hotels but it definitely offers great value and a quality stay in classy surroundings. We had a great time!"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of January 2008