About Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield

• hair dryer
  • baggage storage
  • bbq facilities
  • breakfast in the room
  • express check in check out
  • coffee shop amenities
  • coffee tea maker
  • steam room

Afternoon tea

Reviewed Mon 7th of March 2016

"A few work colleagues have just had afternoon tea . The staff where very helpful the tea looked and tasted lovely would recommend to anyone to try . "

• Travel date: Sat 5th of March 2016

Not Pleased!!

Reviewed Tue 2nd of June 2015

"This hotel is rated 4* I don't think so, a lot of work needs updating, to say the least, and agree with most reviewers
I booked through GROUPON GROUPON , and I think this was worth the discount!!, maybe not worth it .
The bathroom glass holders had evident dust-- this instantly made me think this room has not been used for a while, and I wandered WHY. Unfortunately our first night was a bit nippy-or cold , so needed to warm up the room, guess what ,the heater was broken- it looked old and as if it's not been in use for a while ( making me think even more whether this room is normally not in use) BUT because we had a GROUPON voucher maybe we " deserved" this substandard room. We got a portable replacement( thanks to the lovely lady)
Another surprise was when we went to have our dinner and given 2 menus, one was supposedly meant for prepaid GROUPON VOUCHER, not much choice,so I thought what's the point, I had done this as a treat for my daughter . It made us feel the service was substandard. My daughter requested to have a dessert instead of the starter, As a " swap", but at the end was asked to pay for it. It's not the cost I was bothered about but the inconsistency. The salad I got was old and had bits of Vegs that looked off, I decided to put them on the side and not bother
To crown it all as we checked out the next day we were presented with a bill of £35 for CAPPUCCINOS WE HAD THE PREVIOUS NIGHT!! this was obviously someone's bill as we did not have cappuccino or purchased any more than a small bottle of wine of £3,95 which I paid for cash on the night!!
The lady quickly said Oh this bill is not yours as you have not signed for it, and I BELIEVE YOU, waah!! This was all a bit offending to be honest, so overall I felt NOT PLEASE
I loved the swimming pool and jacuzzi so maybe might return just for this if possible
I hope these comments will help in improving the place

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of June 2015

In need of a major overhaul

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Owned by a small hotel chain that obviously know what is required, but have purchased a badly dated hotel that will require investment of a small fortune to bring up to standard. This place is a 70s timewarp!

Initial impression from the reception/bar area is OK but on the walk to my room I realised that I had made a terrible mistake and would have been better booking into a Travelodge for half the price.

OK, the room was clean & reasonably spacious, the bedlinen crisp and included a duvet , but it's all so dated, scuffed and nothing co-ordinates. They have tried to bring up to date with things like internet access but this is achieved via bolt on units. It really did remind me of a truly bad B&B room. The trouser press control was missing so it was useless, room do not include a minibar, the bathroom was awful with losuy toiletries. The most dated amenity tray I have ever seen - a beige plastic contraption connected to the wall socket and the naff floral cups & saucers you expect your granny to have But a nice touch was provision of a Kit Kat in addition to the standard 'hotel biscuit'.

Room service was spectacularly bad - Homemade soup of the day with continental breads - not sure that a white and brown roll with a container of Anchor and Flora count as 'continental'. Food very clearly bought-in food service with only arranging on the plate or heating up required of the 'chef'. My Caesar salad with shaved parmesan contained something like finely shaved cheddar! the cajun chicken was of the plastic supermarket variety. The Cedar Court seem so proud of the fact they don't cook their own food that they amazingly credit their foodservice suppliers on the reverse of the menu!!

Breakfast was excellent however and maybe I just made the wrong choice the evening before.

If it's a cheap convenient stopover on the M1 you're after, and you can get a decent rate then I suppose it's OK. Slightly better than a Travelodge as you can get room service and there's a pool, but Travelodge rooms are better

But as a 4* hotel - they've got to be joking."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of March 2007

4 star rating???

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Booked this hotel via Laterooms for Sat night-thought I'd bagged a bargain. This place is rated 4 stars, & on first impressions looks good. Decent enough reception area & gym facilities (swim, sauna, etc).
But the room given was dreadful. Very small for a couple, the décor is stuck in an early 80's time warp: matt black doors & red bathroom tiles!! A room curtain (judging by the design) that's been hanging for a very long time, furnishings that just look drab & a bed that was very uncomfortable. To top it off, poor soundproofing from the adjoining room.
4 star rating??? I don't think so!"

• Travel date: Sun 27th of August 2006

Never again - uncomfortable and not aware of needs of the disabled visitor

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the hotel with my disabled mother for two days attending a golden wedding celebration.

Adjacent rooms were requested for a disabled person and carer. The actual rooms were a good distance apart, causing distress to my elderly mother. No explanation was given and no alternative accommodation was made available.

The room for the disabled person had little adaptation. A couple of hand rails and a badly placed telephone in the bathroom, otherwise nothing (no red emergency cord) . Facilities, switches etc were at high level and inaccessible to a wheel chair user. The shower was contained within the bath. So if you couldn't get into the bath, you didn't have facilities to bathe or shower. Furniture was badly placed for accessibility. Access to the room from reception pushing the chair a long way through the corridors left me exhausted.

Parking bays for the disabled were taken up by builders equipment and storage.

Our own room was uncomfortable. Promises were made to rectify an uncomfortable mattress and pillows. Nothing happened.

We were disturbed by noise from adjacent rooms - a large party of people getting up at 4am - there was little soundproofing. The hotel knew about this but didn't advise of a potential problem. I was told by the duty manager that the hotel and had been built 20 years previously and what would I expect?

A disco to 1 in the morning disturbed our second night's sleep.
Again the hotel knew of this potential discomfort but did not advise. I was told that the hotel chose to run discos to this time because licensing laws allowed them to do so. No-one seemed to care one jot about the people who weren't attending this function and wanted to sleep.

The attitude of the duty managers was defensive . No-one was available on-site to make real decisions about our complaints - left unresolved as we left - we were just told to write a letter.

I would not choose to stay here ever again."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

Very Average

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Stayed at the Cedar Court for two nights on a conference. The hotel room whilst large was very dated - the burgundy bathroom with white suite was a triumph. The room wasn't particularly clean and furniture desperately needs updating. (although a friend had managed to obtain a room on the 3rd floor with a four poster - impressive lace hangings!)

The main areas of the hotel are nicer than the rooms. The food was fine but breakfast service is incredibly slow - the first day only one person was delivering cooked breakfasts and the second they managed to lose our order, which meant a wait of 30 minutes and no food until we complained (both nights the hotel was full).

The conference room we were assigned was in the office park at teh far side of the car park. There were no signs to warn those attending where to go outside the hotel - fortunately it was a sunny day, as wondering across the car park in the rain wouldn't be a good start to any event. AVOID LUNCH - we had wierd combinations on both days but the best one was the beef curry with optional breadcrumbed fishcake!

Overall I'd the hotel needs a serious overhall."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of May 2006

Wonderful Hotel

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I stayed at the Cedar Court Hotel, Wakefield last Saturday night. My boyfriend had booked it as a suprise. The night was wonderful, we had booked a suite and there was champagne in the room. It was so hastle free, polite and effecient staff checked us in and the room was perfectly clean and quiet. Everyone was so nice from the bar staff to the cleaners. The breakfast the following morning was delicious with so much choice on the cold buffet. I recommend anyone wanting a night away in this area to book this hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of November 2005

Fantastic

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I had a really good stay at Cedar Court in Wakefield. The staff are friendly and helpful. The food was good and the service was fantastic."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of October 2005

Don't bother!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Went to a Wedding and Reception here....glad I did'nt have to foot the bill for it, would have been devastated if it had been my Wedding.
Food was cold and tastless and no more than a pattern on your very tiny plate, at the evening reception it was a "Hot Buffet" this again was sadly NOT the case, food was luke warm (and a breeding ground for bacteria!) and very uninsparational.
I know the couple paid alot of money for this hotel and the food was way below par of anything I've had at a reception..chicken and fish nuggets in breadcrumbs, cold, hard and wet bread cake sandwiches. Even the sparkling wine we had for toasts was no better than the 99p plonk you get at a bargin basement supermarket.
The drinks from the bar were totally unbelieveable..the beer and lager were flat and undrinkable..even the barstaff admitted this and had to pour numerous glasses of it away..and the wine..£4.75 for a glass of what is basically Blossom Hill, when a full bottle from a supermarket only costs £3.50!
But you are a captive audience, and the hotel knows this and can charge whatever they like for bar prices.
Infact at the evening reception most of the people had left by 10.30pm..no doubt to catch a bus into nearby Wakefield for something decent to drink and at a far better price!
There were 4 other weddings that day, and all these poor brides milling about in the hotel foyer, everyone sizing up everyone elses wedding, not the most romantic start.
To sum up..vastly overpriced, food not even rateable, and a conveyor belt for weekend weddings!
If this is what "Floats your boat" then the Cedar Court is for you...but I think you would find better at ANY of the other hotels around Wakefield.
P.S Or Mcdonalds is only a Junction down the M1..and what they serve, as bad as it is..its far, far better that the Cedar Court!"

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of September 2005

Great stay at Cedar Court Hotel

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"The staff were all very friendly, check-in and check-out was quick and efficient. The room was clean, although the heater control was broken, we just pulled out the plug! The food at in the restaurant was pricey at £12 each for breakfast and£25 for dinner, however the local Asda serves a good breakfast, and there is an excellent fish and chip restaurant called The Kingfisher about 100yds from the hotel! another guest told me that the hotel food was good, but as you can guess we didn't eat in. The swimming pool area was excellent. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel or rebooking"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Dated Badly, avoid until refurbishments complete

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"I asked for top floor non smoking when we telephoned our booking. We stayed there 18 years ago and returned due to it being good then.

They messed up our booking and was offered a ground floor room - as a lone female traveller I don't feel safe on ground floor rooms , the only top floor they had was smoking. The stench was horrendous - far worse than any smoking room I have stayed in.

They did deliver breakfast to my room as I had an early start but I could only eat the eggs and cereal.

The service was fairly laclustre and didnt feel very confident they were trained to the standard I expected.

Also I was not warned it was being refurbished when I booked the room."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of June 2005

a safe bet

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"My experience was good. The staff are friendly, the rooms are clean and spacious, and the beds comfortable. Has good bathrooms. I'd say its a good stop over as its close to the motorway. The breakfast was a bit gross - tinned button mushrooms and an under done sausage let the side down. But overall you should have a good time."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of February 2004

Hotels near Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield

Top traveller tips for Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield

• Cindytaku15 by Cindytaku15

"The place could do with a face lift "

Cedar Court Hotel Wakefield is also called