Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel

Exterior

Good

Excellent refurb of Victorian sea front hotel - superb for families.

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Just returned from a 2 night stay at the recently opened Travelodge in Scarborough. This hotel used to be the St Nicholas Hotel and is one of the old Victorian hotels overlooking the beach high up above the sea front. Travelodge have really got it right as regards location here. It is ideally situated for anybody wishing to spend a few days in Scarborough. The refurb of the original hotel is very good and is in typical simple Travelodge style decor. I could find no fault with the hotel at all apart from maybe the restaurant at breakfast in the morning could have done with a few more staff and it took a while for them to replenish the bacon, scrambled egg etc. However, this is typical of all Travelodges as they seem to ever only have one person on duty in the restaurant, hence the tables are always messy and the food does run out. This to me though was only a minor fault and the staff made up for it with their helpfulness and friendly approach. A great deal for £54 for 2 nights in a family room and we didn't even get charged fro breakfast!!! Would definitely recommend to others."

• Travel date: 29th July 2009

Ideal location

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Location was great as was our welcome. Bar staff were still getting to grips with varied demands but everyone was polite and helpful. Our room was at the back but perfectly adequate. Our friends` was bigger with a view of the sea and The Grand. Extra towels and pillows readily supplied. Overall good value, especially if booked ahead at best rate. Only drawback we had was noisy seagulls--not the hotel`s fault!"

• Travel date: 6th July 2009

VALUE FOR MONEY

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"This was our first time in a travelodge, but wont be our last , we have 3 more breaks booked at other Travelodges so hoping they are all as good as this one. Hotel was all new and clean, we had a seaview room on first floor, nice bathroom with a very comfortable bed flat screen tv and tea coffee making.Hotel was central.Check in was very quick and friendly there were no queues. Parking was £1.50 an hour near hotel but if you put an hour in at 5.05pm ticket is ok till 9.00 next day. Alternatively you can park in the ncp car park, get your ticket stamped at the travelodge and show this when you collect your car and it is £6.50 for 24 hours."

• Travel date: 1st July 2009

Give it a try

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"I travel all over Europe and the UK and think the hotel is great value for money - if you get a good price and book early. We stayed there in May when the hotel had recently opened.The hotel is in a fantastic position. The best rooms are the ones with a sea view. Because the rooms do not have any air conditioning in, they do get very warm, due to Health and Safety regulations the windows in the rooms only open slighty. I think the hotel would benefit from having air conditioning in the rooms - the new central Travelodge in Blackpool has it fitted as standard, so I cannot understand why its not installed at the Scarborough hotel. All rooms are not the same size or layout, some have shower only, some bath and shower and the size of the rooms varies a lot - I know because I went in a few that were being cleaned after the previous guests had left. Breakfast is cheaper if you book on line in advance - great value if you have children as they eat free, if only adults staying and you do not eat much for breakfast try one of the cafes nearby - much cheaper. If you can eat a lot though the buffet breakfast should keep you going until tea time. We tried it and enjoyed it, though they had run out of buns and croissants and I was told they were waiting a new deivery. As much tea, coffee, juice, yogurts, scrambled egg, bacon and sausage as you want. I will always stay there when visiting Scarborough and think it is an excellent choice for any discerning traveller."

• Travel date: 29th June 2009

Great Value

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I have to wonder who writes some of these reviews. Years ago I bemoaned the lack of cheap hotels in the UK, Travelodge provide us with reasonable accomodation at a more than reasonable price & people complain. Amazing. My daughter lives in a prime location overlooking South Bay but, understandably, doesn't encourage guests, who would use her apartment as a free hotel, me among them! Next best thing to me is a well located, well priced hotel & the new Travelodge is just that. I stayed there with two Canadian friends who have travelled widely. They had a room with a sea view, I had one with no view whatsoever. We were all delighted with the quality of accomodation, the comfort & the location. The young lady at the reception desk was the happiest, bubbliest, most helpful person any of us had met in a long while. If only all hotel employees around the globe were as helpful & cheerful. I must confess I would not want a room next to the elevator & I sympathise with the reviewer here who had one. We did not take breakfast here, although during the same trip I breakfasted at Travelodge's at Heathrow Central & Bath Waterside. I like a bargain & at first considered £7.50 expensive but it was eat as much as you like & boy, did I get my money's worth. Bear in mind also that kids eat free. So, take your choice, usual rip-off Scarborough or bargain Travelodge. Personally, I hope you choose the former so I can benefit from the latter. In case it appears I have affiliations with Travelodge, I should point out I also stayed at a couple that were cheap but not so cheerful."

• Travel date: 27th June 2009

You CAN polish a third (censored - think Irish fractions)

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"The worst makeover I have ever seen. A tired old Hotel transformed into a tired new Hotel with the aid of a few cans of gloss and new carpets. It's only been open a few weeks and already it's started it's decline. I know Travelodge are cheap and cheapful but I thought with this one being newly refurbished..................................... PS Judging by the overall shudder of everything everywhere when someone shuts a bedroom door, this is the place to be if there's a fire."

• Travel date: 10th June 2009

Great location...but terrible service

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"We stayed for one night at the end of May with our baby daughter. We arrived at 2.30pm to be told we would be charged £10 if we wanted to check in before 3pm. So along with other families, couples etc we waited till 3pm in the the ever extending queue to check in. When 3pm arrived it took a long time to check in. We were unable to get a drink while waiting because the cafe/ bar did not open till 5pm. Room was on the first floor and the lift nearest to our room was out of order, meaning we had to carry our pushchair up a small flight of stairs. Room was clean and tidy because the hotel had only just opened, although we needed to ask for extra towels as our double room only had one bath towel and one hand towel. Most frustratingly, we had booked to have breakfast in the hotel because we had a small baby. We made our way down to breakfast to be told , quite casually , breakfast was cancelled due to a flood. While we accept this was not the fault of the hotel staff we were not impressed by the insincere apologies offered. Check out was another long, slow moving queue and other staff appeared to be just standing in the recepetion area with their hands in thier pockets. All things considered, the location of the hotel was excellent but the service left a lot to be desired, not what we would have expected from this chain."

• Travel date: 3rd June 2009

Lot better places to stay at reasonable prices

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"We stopped at the Travelodge for two nights in May and we were very disappointed with our stay. When we arrived to check in there had been a leak and part of the hotel was shut off, we were told our room was not quite ready. (Luckily we decided not to check in at 3pm and visit other places in the area before going to the hotel and checking in, we finally checked in at 5.45pm) I was rather annoyed to find that after waiting half an hour for a room the receptionist gave one room that was ready, to a woman who had just arrived!! After sorting out the problem with reception we went to our room which was on the first floor. It was small, basic and the view out of the window was rubbish, but it was clean and the bed was comfy. Surprisingly, although it was a double room, they left us one towel and one hand towel which was rather annoying. For the first night and first morning the cafe bar was closed so we couldn't have a drink or any breakfast. The lift on our floor was out of order as too were the internet computers and the snack machine. We know that it was a Travelodge but after paying over £100 we feel we could have found a better, more reasonable priced hotel, we certainly will not be returning nor will be recommending it to anybody."

• Travel date: 1st June 2009

Brilliant Location

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"Just returned after a bankholiday staying in this hotel with my husband.This hotel is in a fantastic location opposite the Grand Hotel and has only been open just over a week so did have some teething problems but nothing major. On arrival we asked for an early checkin room and were given a double so back down to reception as we had booked and payed for a family room as you get more space and were given room 306 which is on the front of the hotel and has sea views which were lovely. We tried to have a drink in the hotel bar at 3pm only to be told they had a long queue and i mean long queue of people checking in that the manager would not let them open it until 5pm which we thought was a little bad as we had already checked in and paid an extra £10 which im pleased we did and could not use the hotel facilities so we walked across the road to the Grand Hotel and had a drink in there instead. On a evening you can order food ,we had some chicken wings at 9.45pm when returning to the hotel only to find them cold and having to send them back and get some new which when they returned were very well done.You can also have pizzas which come in a box so you could take to your room if you wished. Breakfast was basic with everything crammed in a small area which made it hard to get in to select what you wanted,there was a choice of scrambled eggs,bacon,sausage,tomatoes,beans which you did sometimes need to wait for them to get filled up.There was also cereal,toast,juice,tea and coffee.We had booked this when booking the hotel as you got a discount so we paid £6.00 each but on the day i think its around the £7.50 mark which is quite expensive for what it was. Parking there is only limited outside the hotel and a maximum of 3 hours you need to pay but on the hotel reception there was a leaflet saying you could park beside the wilkinsons shop for a set fee of £6.50 per 24 hours which is a good deal if you are willing to walk theat extra way but for us we parked in the Palm court multi storey round the corner and it cost us £24 for the privilage./"

• Travel date: 31st May 2009

Great hotel in the right location

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"We went here for just one night on the 21st May and enjoyed it very much. The location is excellent - we were not lucky enough to get a sea view room though even though we had booked many months earlier. I don't think there are many sea view rooms anyway. The bedroom was very clean, as was the whole hotel. Not much space at all between the bed and the radiator in our room but not a great problem - we would certainly go again without hesitation - although there is some pay and display parking outside it is not long stay so we paid £12.50 for 24 hours in the nearby Palm Court Hotel car park - about 5 minutes walk away. It is not a 24 hour car park though. I think it closes between 11.00p.m. - 7.00 a.m. not exactly sure of these times. Cheaper car parking can be obtained a few streets away but as we were only there overnight we decided to use the nearest one for us even though it was a bit more expensive. The weather was a bit cold and mixed but with the addition of the radiator in the room there was no problem. I think the hotel would probably attract a lot of older people, although we saw one family too. I would say it was suitable for all ages. It is very central being very near the shops and restaurants. The young lady and gentleman on reception were very hospitable and I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. We hope to go back again later in the year."

• Travel date: 30th May 2009