Windmill Balcony Suite Kingsize Bedroom

About The Windmill

• kitchenette
  • bath shower
  • hair dryer
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • complimentary toiletries
  • iron
  • sofa

A Great Choce for a few days away

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I have just returned from the Windmill after four days with my wife and little boy. We usually go for self catering lodges, so this was a bit of a departure. The accommodation itself is very comfortable (we stayed in the flat) and once you shut the door it is easy to imagine you are out in the middle of nowhere, not a seaside resort. The location is great for checking out the area. We visited Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick Bay, Staithes, Whitby and also spent a day at Flamingoland (or is it Chavland?) All in all, an enjoyable few days away. Finally, can I just talk about the owners. I had noticed some pretty personal criticism in another review. So, I admit I was intrigued to meet them. In my opinion, Roland and his family were always friendly and helpful every time I spoke to them helping us particularly with local cuisine. Just felt I had to add that...."

• Travel date: 1st June 2008

Welcoming and pleasant stay

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"We have stayed here on a number of occasions, and have always had a pleasant stay. We were made to feel welcome and our business was appreciated. The rooms, food and facilities are all more then adequate and very good for the price. The website gives an honest and accurate impression of the hotel, so make sure you have a look before booking!"

• Travel date: 15th January 2008

Spectacular views from up high...

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Though only for two days, I stayed in the 'top flat' in mid 2006 and was delighted by the balcony that wraps around the entire windmill. It offers superb views of Scarborough and as far as I know, this is the only hotel of its type in Britain. This tripadvisor page should also have some more photos so that visitors can get a better idea of the beauty of the place. I highly recommend it for a romantic getaway, though try to go during the warm summer months!"

• Travel date: 9th January 2008

Roland rules the roost

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"This establishment is all about the proprietor, Roland, and what he wants. He certainly doesn't come across as frivolous or jolly, so don't expect a warm welcome. On arrival you will have to pay for your stay as, apparently he is too busy to take your money after breakfast on your day of departure. By the way, breakfast ends at 9 am sharp. Guests who arrive after this time, say two minutes past nine, are turned away. You will be informed of the rules of the guest house on arrival but to reinforce this there are plenty of notices on the wall of your room to remind you of what has already been explained to you. There are more notices on the walls of the bedroom than there is wallpaper. Roland's pets roam freely in the courtyard leaving their mark, which is not regularly cleaned up. Therefore you should tread carefully when arriving back after dark. We were not left a hospitality tray on the final two days of our visit and our luggage had definitely been tampered with."

• Travel date: 17th September 2007

A lovely, peaceful Windmill break

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"This was a short break booked for March 2007. When we saw the hotel website, we thought this would be a short break with a difference. We stayed in the upper floor flat within the windmill itself. On arrival, we were met by the owner who was very pleasant and check in was a very smooth transaction. The flat is on two floors of the windmill - the lower floor being a bedroom/bathroom (the bed is the comfiest that I have stayed in) and the upper floor open plan living and kitchen areas. We were left to our own devices and came and went as we pleased. This is situated in the town centre so within 5-10 minutes walk you are in a shopping area with places to eat and drink - very handy. A short drive takes you to the castle, marine centre or museums/art galleries and the area is just nice for strolling and taking in the scenery. Well recommended if you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life for a few days. All in all, the stay was very relaxing with a visit or two from the windmill cats (they're so cute) and great views from the balcony. Would definately stay again."

• Travel date: 4th May 2007

Pleasant stay

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"My partner and I stayed in the upstairs flat in the windmill itself for 2 nights in March 2007. The windmill is located quite centrally within Scarborough. The upstairs flat was quite compact but the views over the rooftops and towards the harbour were great. There are dehumidifiers in the property which we were encouraged to keep switched on in order to keep the air dry, and these can get quite noisy, as well as affecting your electricity bill (electricity is paid by unit of expenditure). Self catering/cooking facilities in the flat were good. The owner was friendly and forthcoming, and since we are both animal lovers we did not mind allowing one of their two cats come and 'visit'. We went to Scarborough in order to explore the East Coast, so we did not spend much time in the flat, and for this it was more than adequate."

• Travel date: 6th April 2007

Fair deal for fair price

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"The Windmill Hotel, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. Reviewer: frances_d123, County Durham, England We were somewhat worried after reading earlier reviews, but we found this hotel to be clean, tidy and the food good. The owner was as pleasant and friendly as many others we have encountered on our travels. Yes the room was small, especially for a four-poster bed, but for a short break there was plenty of room. We really can't understand what people are whinging about, especially at this price!"

• Travel date: 23rd September 2006

Great value for money, kids will love it

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"The first two reviews are somewhat unfair - ok, it's basic, but you get what you pay for. We paid just £30 a night - the room was cheap and cheerful, but the breakfast more than made up for it - an extensive menu all cooked freshly for you. Good vegetarian choices too, which you don't get in more up market hotels. Kids will love the toy museum and The Windmill is an unique location for a short break. Made a nice change from the faded grandeur that dominates the rest of Scarborough."

• Travel date: 10th September 2006

Unhospitable

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"My wife, 7 yr old son and I stayed in the windmill for 2 nights in August 2003. The owner was possibly one of the unfriendliest people we have ever met. He demanded cash up front, which we thought was unusual. We had a 4 poster bed in the main room and that was about it, there was little space for anything else. Throughout the room were little notices advising guests what not to do. It really was quite appalling. The breakfast was awful, we got the distinct impression that the owner just wanted our money and then wanted us to clear off. Car parking was very awkward and the place was overun by the owners pets. For us it was everything that is bad about english tourism. Stay there at your peril. I"

• Travel date: 10th July 2006

Avoid, avoid, aviod!!

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"I found this hotel via their website. It promoted accessibility for the disabled. It stated certain rooms that were non-smoking. On emailing the hotel, I stated I required a smoking room. Nothing was said. The deposit was cashed. To my horror, upon arrival, I found we were put on the second floor with the most hideous steps to climb. The room was NON smoking. On pointing this out, we were met with the most miserable, dour hotel owner we had ever had the misfortune to meet. Nasty wasn't the word for the wife. The place was appalling and we were made to pay up front. The food was awful, the accomodation was basic. It cost us over £70 for one night B&B for 2 people. Letters I sent were ignored. I reported them. Their website was changed and ramps installed. I still cannot get my money back. Don't go anywhere near them"

• Travel date: 26th May 2006