Good

The crown hotel top one south bay scarborough

Reviewed Tue 24th of April 2018

"The Crown is opposite sea spectacular front sea vie rooms spacious with telescope in rooms pink mood lightening and tv in bathrooms some rooms suites on fifth floor have very big beds immaculate clean rooms white linen fireplaces in some rooms gown and slippers hotel has large back car park or can park in front of hotel there is large numerous choice of big variety of breakfasts for 3 hours in morning hotel has good food various dining rooms bars coffees teas cocktails can get busy weekends is open all year has lovely spa sauna jacuzzi swimming pool gymnasium and foot spa ice room etc with many lifts stairs to all floors hotels opposite sea gardens near to beach theatre spa and near to another nice little hotel the esplanade"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of April 2017

simones several scarborough crown spa stays

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2016

"The Crown Hotel in Scarborough is very nice for b and b but i don't like poor choice food and choice n cooking of evening meals The hotels best rooms are at front with balcony and sea view and telescope but side back rooms not as good and top floor rooms at front stunning but without sea view as windows r tiny the rooms are comfortable nicely decorated sum with fires fireplaces and television in bathroom n telescopes and all bathrooms pink mood spot lights wow and some more expensive rooms have massive beds etc delightful The breakfasts are excellent lots of choice of anything hot or cold help yourself or hot meals served and small rooms for evening dinner burnt pizza or pasta fish or ham Sea Bass s is good and reception staff very nice helpful lots young staff cud have few more mature ones and bedrooms cleaned daily excellent if don't want room cleaned stay in bed late in morning in dressing own slippers provided they leave bag of towels tea coffee soap biscuits etc on your door handle."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of August 2016

Poor management

Reviewed Thu 11th of August 2016

"We turned up at the restaurant to be told it closes at 9.15 pm. The room card says it is open until 9.30pm we arrived before half nine and we were turned away. We complained to the manager but he clearly was not interested at all. Like previous reviews the management team at this hotel are poor at best. Totally not interested in customer service. Our evening meal for our night away consisted of a local Chinese takeaway that was delivered to the hotel and eaten in our room. It says it's a 4 star hotel. It's 1 star customer service and for that reason we would not stop here again. "

• Travel date: Wed 10th of August 2016

4 Star Arrogance

Reviewed Tue 28th of October 2014

"I could not agree more with BMAscots review of this hotel and the dreadful attitude of the Operations Manager who admittedly I didn't get to meet but would dearly loved to have done because of his subsequent attitude to correspondence; how this sort of person keeps their job is beyond me anyway.......
We booked this place for a 50th birthday celebration and booked an executive double sea view room at a price of £145 for the night after being told how superb the room was; "why it's even got a telescope sir" we were told; coupled with our visit we wanted some fine dining and so the CS looked perfect.
On arriving we were shown to Room 508 and what a disappointment; the room was nothing more than a loft extension albeit with decent fittings and a "sea-view" through a 1mx0.5m window with the view only visible when stood directly in front of it; no telescope either but that would have been difficult due to the lack of floorspace and extremely small vista. the bed appeared to be a queen double and so as a six footer my feet hung over onto the furniture at the bottom of it. I made my feelings known to management who promptly offered me an upgrade for an extra £100. On refusing this we were then told we could go elsewhere if we wished. How nice!!
The restaurant was a disaster with staff who were very young and who despite trying appeared to have been poorly trained; no courtesy in escorting us to the lounge; no appetizers or breads then simply shown to a table and left there. We ordered two starters at a cost of £8.00 each which arrived as a deep fried goats cheese samosa and a croquet with risotto in it; both served blandly on shredded lettuce and both tasteless; we got up and left walked into town and had a Thai meal which we could have done at home.
The box room was stiflingly hot at night with a ceiling fan to cool us down so no sleep either.
All through our stay we made our feelings known and not a single member of the management team appeared to have the authority to do anything at all; subsequent to this my correspondence has been met with a shameful attitude from the Operations Manager in that the hotel can do nothing wrong.
In short a weekend ruined by what I consider is opportunism and price gouging; poor service and extremely poor customer relations. You can do better than book a room at this place.

(As a footnote the manager told me the room had been shown to an AA assessor due the hotels concerns about the laughable "sea-view" and she had sanctioned the description. How fortunate for her that she wasn't paying £145 for the privilege)."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of October 2014

excellent place to relax and enjoy life.

Reviewed Tue 10th of September 2013

" I have stayed at this Hotel many times and it is first class eg. food
welcome, comfort ,rooms, cleanliness and the staff are always the same
pleasant in every way to make you as there guest comfortable and happy"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of September 2013

Reviewed Mon 20th of June 2011

"“Dreadful.....and don't risk complaining to the "Operations Manager" or he is likely to shout/argue or insult you....and do so in front of children! Our recent stay, with my 9 year old daughter at the Crown Spa Hotel in Scarborough was quite extraordinary.....it was so bad! Masquerading as Scarborough's premier hotel, the Crown Spa's operations manager yelled over to reception that they should immediately give us our bill (which I took to be a demand to leave) after I dared complain following a horrible over-night stay and disgusting breakfast experience. The previous evening my daughter wanted some supper....we absolutely sat down in time, last hot food orders are 9.30pm, I was served flat champagne in a dirty glass while we looked at menu. Even after a wait (due to being ignored for what passes for service), the timing of our first bill receipt proves we sat down well within time. At 9.31pm they told me that the chef had gone home. We should have followed his example.

My daughter who had wanted hot pasta was told there were only cold sandwiches available. She declined. So much for available food at “The Top-Rated AA Hotel on the Yorkshire coast.” Whatever happened to decent room service. Not only was no hot food available in the entire hotel after 9.30pm but they didn’t even have a packet of crisps at the bar.

Not liking the sound of any of the cold sandwiches on offer, we retired hungry to a bedroom which became increasingly hot as the night progressed as I see others have also reported on Tripadvisor. Why was that? The radiator was switched off and it had not been a particularly warm day in Scarborough. Very odd. Perhaps that's why we found, the following morning, that the shower only had two temperatures...cold and freezing....as also reported by other guests on Tripadvisor.

Arriving in the sea-view bedroom the previous day, I noticed a dirty teddy bear on the bed, an experience also mentioned re this hotel on Tripadvisor. Heavens knows where the bear had been. In many hotels, clean, new bears are gifts for children however at the Crown Spa it is available to buy for £9.99. I wouldn’t have it for nothing. Also on the bed were rolled up towels. The Crown Spa Hotel boasts on it’s website (where we booked) that it is the only 4 Star hotel in Scarborough and the TOP AA-rated hotel on the Yorkshire coast, which is why I booked. No top rated hotel leaves towels for their guests rolled up on the beds.....that’s what one expects at a DHSS rooming house of which there are quite a number to be found in down-at-heel holiday resorts which, sadly, Scarborough has clearly become......a relic of the grandeur of its’ past when Max Jaffa performed daily at the Spa open-air theatre.....and the Royal Hotel, with its’ Hollywood connection, reigned supreme. It was clear to me that the staff at the Crown Spa were badly trained locals with barely a clue about the hospitality industry....along with a sprinkling of rude East Europeans....one of whom I saw kick open a bedroom door. Another, carrying a tray (it seems someone was going to be on the receiving end of what passes for room service) pushed past us, into the lift, much to my astonishment, whereupon the doors immediately closed before my daughter and I could enter. We had been politely waiting for the lift having called it before this employee pushed past us.

Ignored again on arrival at reception point at breakfast as three waiters blanked us as just the two of us waited to be seated, we were taken to a table laid with some filthy cutlery. I walked to the buffet area for cereal and the top bowl in the pile was encrusted with old food. I lifted it to find that the bowl underneath was equally filthy at which point I pointed this out to a passing waitress who watched as I uncovered a further four dirty bowls before finding a rare, clean one. The waitress apologised, the only apology I received during my entire stay and asked for my room number.

On leaving breakfast I decided to inform the management of our Crown Spa Hotel experience. “May I see a duty manager” I asked the receptionist. “What do you want to see him about” I was asked. On explaining that I wished to complain, some seats were pointed out where I was instructed to go and sit, like a naughty schoolboy.

Along came the duty manager, in his shirt sleeves. On seeing his demeanour and expression, I immediately explained that while I had a complaint to make, I did not want anything deducting off my bill nor any other benefit. I then started with the shower, which the “Operations Manager” who has commented on posts below, turned into an argument. This manager believes that if you have a faulty shower it can be repaired by the hotel in “two to three minutes” and he had a go at me when I admitted that I had not called reception for help. In fact no hotel can repair a faulty shower within “2 –3 minutes.” Just telephoning reception, having them answer and explaining the problem can take that long, then you are put on hold, or called back at some time in the future (more than any 2-3 minutes). If a maintenance person is available, if he is not busy repairing some other bathroom, it will take more than any 2-3 minutes to find him and at the point when arrive with their tools, one may as well settle down for a while....and that is IF they can repair it. I see that when another guest who posted below made a similar complaint, they were moved rooms. The fact is that my daughter was hungry and she wanted her breakfast, not to be stuck waiting for an hour or so for a shower to possibly be repaired and so, following a disgusting breakfast experience, I decided to complain.

The duty manager turned my complaint into an undignified row. I explained why we had not called and attempted to go over our other complaints but this “operations manager” shouted over to reception that we should immediately be given our bill. I took this as a demand for us to leave. That is what we did so I never ever got a chance to visit the Spa as had been our intention. Possibly just as well. If the water in pools is not treated properly nasty infections can result. We are careful about using pools and only do so in hotels we can trust which is why I was quite happy to be told to leave.

I was perfectly happy to pay my bill in full as obtaining any benefit through my complaint was never the point. I had just wanted to explain what had gone wrong and was shouted at.

My advice, if you must visit Scarborough, is check out some of the three star hotels on Tripadviser as I hear some of them are far better than the Crown Spa. I looked at the nearby Crescent Hotel and chatted with the lovely guy who owns it. That’s the place to stay in Scarborough, not The Crown Spa."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of June 2011

Wedding from heaven

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I, like any bride had an idea of what I wanted for my perfect day to be like. I had met the perfect man, got the right dress, found the church of my dreams and all I needed was the venue for the reception to make the package complete. I had several 'show rounds' at various hotels but the service from the word go at the Crown was amazing. Daphne and her team were faultless from start to finish. They made my our day truely memorable for all the right reasons, the room looked so classy and was finished to the highest standard. Food - beautiful, my husband is a bodybuilder and a food fanatic (aren't they all) and he was thrilled, I even heard him say he was 'full up' at one point. Nothing was too much trouble. Our guests conented throughout the day on the quality of the food and service and I was so proud that our day was described by many as 'the best wedding ever'. I thought that would just be my husband and I who would be saying that. The Crown Spa signature buffet was gorgeous and just right. A wide selection of cheeses, roast ham and beef, carved at the table and olives, crackers etc. Delicious. I cannot praise this hotel and it's staff highly enough - girls (or boys) if you want the wedding you've always dreamed of, with delightful staff, service and views of the beach then go the Crown Spa. I will never forget it. Five star!"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of September 2007

Disappointed of Leicestershire

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"we have just returned following a 3 night stay at crown spa. We were very disappointed. we had booked a feature room with balcony. The views are amazing but balcony was very dirty and plastic chairs and table were very poor quality. The room was very large and the bed was huge and sheets were lovely. However the decor was very tired and in need of refurbishment, cracks on ceiling, dirty marks on walls , grotty areas in bathroom.For £160 per night we felt the quality poor. Breakfast was mainly in a very dimly lit room and not much space between tables. The sunny dinning room which could be used for breakfast was used with reluctance from staff. Breakfast buffet tables messy and some cereal bowls dirty. Generally poor standard.
The view from the bedroom did mean we put up with the rest. What a shame the hotel has so much potential"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of September 2007

Lovely Hotel

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We stayed just for one night while visiting family in Scarborough, but wished we had booked for a longer stay. The hotel and staff were very nice. The hotel room was clean and well maintained, breakfast was very good with an excellent selection. Location of the hotel was great for us, on top of the south bay cliff (fab views of the bay), which meant a bit of a walk down to the harbour, but the weather was good so that was fine. Walk back up was not so much fun, but there seemed to be plenty of buses and taxis for those not able to make the walk. We will definitely be going back to the Crown Spa."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of August 2007

Quality

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Myself and my wife wanted to have a break from every day life and guess what? we got it. We could not have picked a better hotel to spend the bank holiday weekend at. The Crown Spa has a great look and feel to the place. It's very well furnished and decorated with that home from home feeling. The room we had was a good size with the added bonus of having a very large shower room. The staff are very helpful, polite and pleasant, nothing is to much trouble for them and the food is excellent. The only thing we didn't get to see or use was the Spa, which was our main reason for booking at the Crown. This was our own fault due to us taking advantage of the 24hr bar service that is available in the hotel, but hey, gives us a good excuse to go back. I can't praise the Crown Spa enough so all i will say is:- Well done on achieving such high standards and thank you to all the staff for making our stay pleasant and memorable. 10/10"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of August 2007

a jewel at the crown

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My elderly mother and I were recommended the crown spa for a short break and when i telephoned the hotel to book, the staff were very helpful. When we arrived at the hotel, the room we were given was too difficult to access for my mother. The receptionist immediately transferred us to another room. All the staff appeared to be well trained and nothng was too much trouble. They were cheerful and keen to make the stay as comfortable as possible. The room was clean and warm and plenty of hot water for showers etc. The restaurant was pleasant and the food very good although the portions were a little large for an elderly person. Lite bites might be a useful addition to the menu. Parking is a bit of a nightmare unless you are lucky enough to get a space at the front of the hotel. There is a car park at the rear but this also gets busy because of the health club customers. Maybe the spaces at the front entrance would be better for drop off and pick up as I found the drivers that had to wait for residents at the hotel to embark or disenbark became irate at the wait. Otherwise an excellent experience from a hotel that is obviously working hard at upgrading their status and winning."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

Had a most enjoyable stay with my wife,...

Reviewed Sat 28th of July 2007

"Had a most enjoyable stay with my wife, despite the rain. However, the hotel gym and pool, Jacuzzi, saunas made up for it.

The wife even had a spa treatment for £35, a facial; she told me she spends more for one back in Leeds.

The staff were friendly and food very nice in a new city style restaurant.

Bedroom was very nice best views, bathroom needs updating but very clean."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of July 2007

Hotels near The Crown Spa Hotel

Top traveller tips for The Crown Spa Hotel

• BMAscot by BMAscot

"Stay at the nearby Crescent Hotel instead "

• holiday girl @ home by holiday girl @ home

"sit back and let the staff look after you, wonderful "

• simonesimmonne by simonesimmonne

"B and B is better and top floors fancier "

• Tom katt by Tom katt

"Front sea rooms or fifth floor rooms are better choice great private car parks "

The Crown Spa Hotel is also called