Good

please don't stay here

Reviewed Tue 24th of April 2018

"Royal Hotel Scarborough
Scarborough
food poisoning,disgusting georgise looking hotel and very grand but disgusting please don't go near this palce!!!!!!!!!!
Arrived at the restaurant to book in but the gentleman booking us in was confused when i gave my name in and despite checking the restaurant papers he spent five minutes looking for the paper confirmation and kept apologising looked very under staffed indeed with waiters working at the bar racing from bar to restaurant.I booked the meal; for 8pm but was finally served a bowl of coldish disgusting soup tasteless bland and disgusting staff seemed very bad tempered and apologetic that the starters had finally arrived at 8.50,the wine glasses were filthy.I booked the restaurant as part of groupon voucher which should have included wine but they never brought wine and when i approached staff i was passed to three different staff befor being made a show of in front of other guests seemed to me they knew it included wine but they would only give it if the guest made a fuss,main meal was red snapper with freezing cold potatoes,carrots,RAW FISH AND RAW GAMMON!!! NO JOKE IT WAS RAW PLUS ONE OF THE WAITER SMELT VERY UNPLEASANT,4TH FLOOR ROOMS WINDOWS GLUED DOWN OR PAINTED OVER,NO FAN IN ROOM DO NOT BOOK HERE I HAD DIORREHA AND SICKNESS THAT WRECKED MY HOLIDAY.VERY EXPENSIVE TO PARK THAT IS IF YOU ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A SPACE
Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Location
Sleep Quality"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of April 2018

Not great

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2016

"On arrival very confusing had to unload car then go find parking. Was given no directions to room so unsure what lift to use. Room was some what clean but so hot . Eventually opened window but was worried as there was a big crack running down the bottom of it. Was nice to have a bath and shower but seeing other peoples hair.... on floor not nice. Outlook of room awful and some sort of extractor that kicked in every night very noisy. Beds were so hard couldn't sleep asked at reception and was offered an extra quilt to put underneath. They were so thin didn't make a difference. Found if you did have a complaint no one seemed to want to know. Friendly when you checked in after that forget it. The saving grace for us was the friendly bar staff Thomas and Dan but that's about it. Waited for entertainment then had an hour and then finished by 9.30. Scarborough is lovely but feel the hotel lacking big style. Feel like its trying to live by the grandeur of reception area but the hotel is tired and needs lots of work and walking through corridors where lots of items have just been dumped. Sorry but never came away from holiday feeling refreshed just came home with a very bad back and tired from lack of sleep. Needs some very large upgrades at this hotel in terms of maintenance and customer service."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of September 2016

Give this hotel a miss

Reviewed Tue 27th of September 2016

"We spent just one dreadful night in room 521 before checking out and driving home. Flea-ridden, dirty room, uncaring staff and generally dowdy hotel. We are now seeking compensation from booking.com for having to check out early and the lumps from insect bites on my wife's body and face.
Thanks for wrecking our vacation, Royal. We will be reporting you to health and safety. You will be lucky if my wife's bites don't cause us to sue you!

• Travel date: Sun 25th of September 2016

Don't waste your time or money

Reviewed Fri 26th of August 2016

"This was a surprise weekend away planned by my husband for myself and our two little girls. We are so disappointed. The hotel is so dated, dirty, unorganized, I could go on. Where to start..... We paid just under £300 for TWO NIGHTS for a family room. I would rather have burnt the money! It's like faulty towers, without the comedy. We stayed in room 234, second floor, pushchair for our 16 month old, our four year old and my husband and I couldn't even go in the lift together, the ONE lift for what is a large hotel only has the capacity for 3 persons. Great! You can imagine how busy the lift was (when it was working). When we got to the room we were disgusted, dirty, dated, noisy! The carpet was filthy! Our little one split her water on the floor, I got tissue to mop it up and the color of the tissue was what you would have expected if I had been mopping up tea! We spent as little time in there as possible which was for the better however left a sting knowing we had paid over £280 for the room for two nights! We attempted breakfast in the hotel, after waiting ten minutes to be taken to a table (not sure why this was as there were plenty of empty tables set up and plenty of staff plodding about) I attempted to pay (before we had even got a glimpse of any food). I wanted to pay on card, I had to be escorted to the reception by restaurant staff with a receipt to pay for the breakfast. They only have ONE card machine in the whole hotel! The bar it was the same Palava. Anyway after finally paying nearly £30 for breakfast we were met with empty trays where the hash browns and bacon was meant to be. Slow service and not so friendly staff. So we didn't hang around long. That evening we got the kids ready, my husband got showered then he took them downstairs so that I could get a quick shower and get ready for our evening. 2 minutes into my shower I hear a mans voice shouting something clearly in my room. Scared to death I turned the shower of off and jumped out to see what was happening, I was greeted at my door by the duty manager and the handy man, stood there in nothing but a towel and shampoo they told me there was a leak in the room beneath us and they needed to sort it. I told them I had to rinse my hair first, that seemed like a inconvenience to them. After quickly rinsing my hair unable to shower properly I threw some clothes on and went back to the door, no apology they came in and went straight to the bathroom, I am stood there thinking what the hell is happening plus I want to get ready quick to join my family for the evening! Long story short, leak was fixed after the manager had left and then entered my room again (without consideration I was there) with a few towels, they said it was sorted, I got a 'sorry about that' and they were off! To say I was angry is an understatement! So once I finally got ready I marched to reception to complain, after going through a long list of complaints I was offered a free drink for all in our party, so that's a pint, glass of wine and two fruit shoots then?! Thanks but no! So I was offered 10% off of our bill! I said so that's around £30 then, he said no £15, I said no 10% of £300 is £30! He said oh is it right, and HES THE DURY MANAGER! What are these people doing! Why hasn't this shambles been closed down?! Poor is not the word. Rant over but please do not make the same expensive mistake as us! I will be following this up with the Brittania Hotel Group!"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of August 2016

Avoid at all costs!

Reviewed Fri 19th of August 2016

"First of all I'd like to apologise for the length of this reviews, I know there is nothing worse than a long winded review but my experience here I feel I need to share with you to prevent any other people from wasting their hard earned money and time off in this place one can only describe as a down market Faulty Towers.
From the outside this hotel looks beautiful, grand, elegant and sophisticated.
The entrance area, lobby and staircase are regal and of a bygone age.
However that all stops there!
From here on in its a downwards spiral, from the guest relations and customer service to the rooms and facilities.
I have stayed in many hotels around the world and this is by far the worst I have ever stayed in, after one has passed through the beautiful communal areas the problems starts, terrible and slow customer service awaits you, it took 20 minutes of standing in line to be checked in, when we finally checked in we were greeted by a 'robot' with no customer service skills, no interpersonal skills and not one ounce of customer care.
The next negative experience was our cell, sorry, our 'room'.
Firstly we were greeted by the overwhelming stink of warm, stagnant air mixed with a stale urine smell. No air conditioning which added to the problem and a bathroom that stank of mold and mildew.
The cell is basic, imagine a really neglected, dated, low budget Travelodge, with no air con, second hand ugly bedroom furniture and a very old, lumpy and uncomfortable mattresses with sheets that don't fit the bed and become un tucked in the night and you wake to be lying on a exposed smelly, stained mattress!
The cells are also very badly insulated and you can here every little noise from your neighbors and people passing in the hall.
The tiny, little bathrooms are also very basic and have a general feeling of uncleanliness, the small dirty room smell bad, has cracked floor tiles (which my partner cut his foot) and the flush was missing from the toilet, so you needs to put their hand into the back of the toilet to flush the it!
The shower was black with mold and was stained and dirty, the towels, small with holes in, old and discolored, I had to drip dry they are that disgusting.
Check out is at 10am! Why so early I have no idea, absolutely ridiculous a check out time so early in the day, it seems they just want your money then want rid of you asap, check out again was robotic, no 'did you have a nice stay' or anything. They've probably stopped asking as they know what the answer is.
How people can rate this dilapidated place any higher than terrible is beyond me, I can't even begin to imagine what they normally stay in!
Next step is an email to Britannia hotels with my complaint, but from other people's reviews I'm not holding much hope of a constructive response, still I'm guessing it will be better than the 'manager' at this hotel, he's about as useful as the rest of the staff.
There are many lovely hotels in Scarborough, stay at any of them, but not here.
Do not waste your time or money here, you'll only be very, very disappointed.

• Travel date: Sat 13th of August 2016

improvements required

Reviewed Mon 18th of April 2016

"The room we were given was poor [4th floor]-nothing like photos on website it was very sub-standard-and as my wife has a disability ,i knew she would not manage the high sided bath for showering [i had informed of mobility problems when booking .There was a draft ,but the window was closed, the wood of the window frame was holed because of rot,i could put my fingers through to out-side, also the curtain linings were in tatters,My wife decided a complaint was in order following a sleepless night due to springs sticking through the mattresses.
A very helpful young lady gave us a much nicer room on the second floor[we had to move our own luggage there was never any offer of help],we did struggle as we are both mid seventies.
just one little problem,i did report a dirty, non- working bathroom extractor fan,i was informed it would be attended to
asap- 5 days later,upon leaving it was still the same.the rest of holiday was good, staff mainly pleasant ,they work hard.

• Travel date: Mon 18th of April 2016

Easter holiday stay 4 days 3 nights 2016

Good
Reviewed Wed 20th of April 2016

"It's is a nice clean hotel I find that on arrival we entered the building to a nice welcome, however wasn't told of where to park the car so we was left to find a random car park and had to pay £10 for 24 hrs ... On the last day we was told car park through the hotel that only cost £3 a night! When told what room we was in they have basic directions, however it's like a maze and numbers everywhere staff don't help with finding room we ended up asking a cleaner who said we was on the complete wrong side of the building and have us better directions to the room. For us the room was a decent size but if any couple was to stay in the room and spend a lot of time there wouldn't be enough room! On our first night it's was quiet and relaxing however last 2 nights have had what sound like trolleys wheeling or beer barrels rumbling down the ally way at the side of the building plus I assume hotel workers leaving and shouting 'talking' to each other. Also the shower plug was broken so couldn't use the shower good job for the bath! After the first night we went down on the front on return we notices our bed was fully made and all tucked in ... This was the way we found out that they came in to change bins make bed etc.. We didn't get told! Bar staff were always cheerful and happy to help! Even though there was quiet a few silly things wrong hotel is lovely and a relaxing place to stay also close to the beach and plenty of things to do in the hotel it's self, just lack of info."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of April 2016

a nightmare

Reviewed Tue 8th of September 2015

"This is the worse hotel we have ever stayed in. From the start it was bad. Having waited in a Que to book in the receptionist lost her temper with one of the cleaners on the Walkie Talkie and said she was p___ed off with them. We went up to the cell sorry room and felt like crying it was the pits. As we had our dog with us I went down to change the room whilst my partner took the dog for a walk. I felt that some of the staff couldn't be bothered and eventually got another room but it was far from perfect in fact the whole stay was far from perfect and I would certainly not recommend this hotel. Britannia hotels should be ashamed and I would recommend someone from their head office stay under cover and get back in touch with the reality of how this place is "

• Travel date: Sun 6th of September 2015

Reviewed Tue 24th of March 2015

"Well I don't know where to start, on the way up from the Midlands due to arrive late about 8.45 called hotel to confirm evening meal. Website says till 9pm was told 8.30 management reserve the right apparently wow! Asked about local restaurant, was told Italian 3 doors away, asked would he book me a table "no"! You will find on Google mmmmm! What a start! The rooms are sadly too far gone! Staff attitude problems are outstanding 10/10 they seem to attract a certain type of clientele and that shows in the way they treat all guests! Britania your a disgrace! They must know of the problems! Walked out the restaurant, what a joke, poorly trained staff and food to die for, well you might if you ate it! No wonder they charge you for your stay on arrival because most would leave 10 minutes afterwards. What a shame! Victoria would turn in her grave! If ever a Royal charter should be removed it's here."

Reviewed Tue 24th of March 2015

"Well I don't know where to start, on the way up from the Midlands due to arrive late about 8.45 called hotel to confirm evening meal. Website says till 9pm was told 8.30 management reserve the right apparently wow! Asked about local restaurant, was told Italian 3 doors away, asked would he book me a table "no"! You will find on Google mmmmm! What a start! The rooms are sadly too far gone! Staff attitude problems are outstanding 10/10 they seem to attract a certain type of clientele and that shows in the way they treat all guests! Britannia your a disgrace! They must know of the problems! Walked out the restaurant, what a joke, poorly trained staff and food to die for, well you might if you ate it! No wonder they charge you for your stay on arrival because most would leave 10 minutes afterwards. What a shame! Victoria would turn in her grave! If ever a Royal charter should be removed it's here."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of March 2015

Royal Toilet would be more apt...

Reviewed Wed 3rd of December 2014

"Not a pleasant one at that. No words can describe how terrible the service and accommodation is....eventually we were allowed to choose from three very tired rooms with old stains/spill marks on carpets, stains on the duvet cover, scuff marks, and paint falling from the ceiling......suffice to say the executive room we chose as we had paid for this had mold around the windows, we had to restrain our three year old from touching the net curtains and chair in the room as can only presume they were waiting for a specialist removal team to destroy them, the shower did not work, on a plus note they did employ energy saving methods although having a single bulb working in chandeliers was a surprising way to do this. This was the best of some horrible rooms.....due to lack of signage we had to ask rude staff the way to our initial room....obviously to give us the shortest route was too much effort, and the lift did not work. There were panels hanging off in the hallway and fire hoses that have not been checked like much of the hotel from the ‘the Regency Period’.
We arrived at 1300 were told we could not check in until 1500 and the main reason we chose this hotel was the swimming pool....it was a paid extra and closed at 1600. To cut an already long story short the service was so dreadful we ate and drank at the Grand hotel part of the same chain. On a plus note if you can overlook the tacky arcades Scarborough is lovely and well worth a visit.....just don’t stay at the Royal is my advice.

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of December 2014

Hotels near Royal Hotel Scarborough

Top traveller tips for Royal Hotel Scarborough

• Charlieb123 by Charlieb123

"- give out more info and how to get to rooms, where places are.- when staff leave leave quietly as those with side rooms hear every little move. "

• Stevie76 by Stevie76

"non, avoid at all costs! "

• Zara G by Zara G

"Won't be going back here "

• sara d by sara d

"clean all the rooms please "

• sara d by sara d

"clean all the rooms please "

Royal Hotel Scarborough is also called