Good

nice building - shame about the single rooms

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a two night stay at The Mansion House Hotel with my dad and I have to say we wont be returning.The building itself is beautiful and has been furnished to a nice standard but the single rooms really let it down.
They are tiny but are just about acceptable until you see the size of the bathrooms which are quite frankly pathetic.The showers should get some sort of award for being the smallest ever invented-I am by no means overweight and I seriously struggled to manoevre in it.
On the plus side Freeview for the tv is a nice idea and the breakfast was good with plenty of choice.We also had no problems parking outside the hotel but I can imagine in the height of summer this may be a different story.
Perhaps we would have had a different opinion had we booked double rooms but I have to say I am a regular traveller and I have seen bigger broom cupboards than what we paid £40 each per night for."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

Lovely week in a listed building

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Having just spent a week in a seaview twin room at the Mansion House Hotel, I would highly recommend it to anyone. My friend and I were impressed from the moment we arrived. We were able to park directly outside (for free) and were offered a complimentary drink upon arrival.

The room was comfortable and exceptionally clean, with carefully considered storage space. Breakfast and dinners were delicious and the staff were discreet; going the extra mile in offering local knowledge to improve our visit to the area.

We even got chocolates on our last day! :-)

Easily the best hotel we have tried in Scarborough. I will be back.

Rosie Alcock, Durham"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

We can do nothing but compliment the whole running of the hotel

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"My wife and I have just spent another couple of days at Mansion House Hotel, once again we can do nothing but compliment the whole running of the hotel as a first class establishment. We have stayed on many occasions now and have yet to be disappointed by any aspect at all. Jonathan certainly runs the hotel professionally with all the special touches from start to finish. The rooms are spotless and the decor in the various rooms in which we have stayed in are welcoming and extremely well furnished paying attention to home from home detail, even down to binoculars to enhance the spectacular views of the bay (in premier sea view rooms) A special thank you also to the way the restaurant is run by obliging, friendly and efficient staff, for which nothing was too much trouble. Even a couple of complimentary chocolates were provided on the day of our departure! What more can an establishment do to make your break memorable?
The location is superb and with none restricted safe car parking only adds to our desire to return to the Mansion House at the earliest point."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of August 2006

great breakfast...and lovely touches!

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Having just spent 2 lovely days at the Mansion House i felt compelled to write a review having just read a nasty review of the exact same room i stayed in!

We booked the room 10 days prior to our arrival and asked if we could have a ground floor room but really didnt hold out much hope at such a late date...however, i was very pleasently surprised when room 2 was allocated to us...and contrary to the other review...we found the room very quiet and convienient....we even missed breakfast the second day because we never heard the 30 or so other guests pass our room...so thats how much it bothered us??

The hotel is a fair walk from town but not miles...and its a good idea to walk along the front to the spa cable car which for 70p hoists you to the cliff top and the hotel is literally 2 minutes gently slope from there.

The gardens of the hotel are small but immaculate...the entrance is fresh and in very good taste. Our room (room 2) was small but not restrictive..although the bathroom was a squeeze but in its defense it had plenty of hot runing water and clean towels..(one thing i would have liked to have seen was better quality complimentary toiletries but this is a very minor point) the bed was comfy the windows opened to allow in lots of sea air and because the room isnt over looked we never drew the curtains.

The breakfast is worth getting up for and rivals many 5 star hotels..the waitress coped well alone and the choice was amazing..piping hot and scrumtious throughout.

We were even given gifts of chocolates upon departure and will definately be returning.

My only concern as mentioned in the other review was the one key opens all doors concern....maybe they dont...just wouldnt have liked to have found out in a bad way.

Overall a faultless hotel with good attention to detail ...keep up the good work...we will definately be back ."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of July 2006

room 2..no view...

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"I have just returned form a weekend in the Mansion House..unfortunately I will not be returning.
When we arrived the owner had left to get a takeaway and the staff although very nice had no idea about us etc.
Finally showed us to room 2 which was very small and had a view of a brick wall.
I realise theres not a lot to be done about this but the room was grubby the bedspread stained and a needle was sticking out of the carpet...so I don t think it had been hoovered.
The ensuite was extremely small and the bath front had layers of dust.
The room is at the top of the stairs that lead to the dining rrom and adjacent to the public toilet..so not a lot of privacy or peace and quiet.
I found the owner to be distant and very unhelpful when he finally came with our room key.
He stated there were no other rooms available.
Finally I found it very unsettling that your room key also opens both the front doors...does this mean that one key fits all!!Not very secure.
On a brighter note the staff are very nice and breakfast was lovely."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of June 2006

Good Holıday

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Recently vısıted the Mansıon House Hotel ın Scarborough and had a very pleasant stay. Thıs small hotel/guest house ıs sıtuated rıght on the South Clıff and ıf you are lucky enough to get a Sea Vıew room then the vıews are wonderful. The hotel ıs quıet but very nıcely presented and all amenıetıes are wıthın a short walk away. The hotel ıs lıcensed but does not have a bar as such but there ıs a bar 5 doors down whıch ıs open untıl quıte late. The bars ın the town are also open untıl very late and there are numerous very good restaurants wıthın walkıng dıstance. The weather was very good whıch made thıs trıp to Scarborough a very enjoyable one. I would cetaınly recommend thıs hotel as ıt was very peaceful and rather up-market whıch suıted us. However ıf you want an all nıght bar wıth entertaınment thıs ıs not the place to be. Wıll defınately return."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of June 2006

great value and very pleasant

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I do not agree with some of the disparaging reviews of this hotel. After travelling all over England, we found this place to be a tremendous value. We were there the last week of May, and had room #5 and indeed it did have a magnificent view of the castle and harbor. Yes, the bathroom was small, but my experience in Europe is that all bathrooms are small if not eccentric. We found the service to be more than pleasant. The breakfast was, to me, typical of what we found all over England, not to my taste, but this breakfast was as good as any. The room was very comfortable, slept well, and it was quiet. It never ceases to amaze me how people in a hotel at the same time can have such different experiences. I can whole-heartedly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of June 2006

OK for small elderly tourists

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We spent two nights at The Mansion House in May 2006, and have mixed feelings about our experience.

The hotel is very well located to the south of the town – about 15 minutes walk to the town centre – and has plenty of free car parking spaces outside. We paid the top rate for a “Premier Sea View En-Suite” (Room 11), in the expectation that we would enjoy a comfortable and relaxing break.

Although the room offers splendid second floor views across the bay to Scarborough, it stretches the imagination to call the room comfortable … adequate would be more accurate! The bed is old and the mattress very soft, and the so-called en-suite is truly an engineering achievement … I never thought it possible to fit a sink, toilet and shower into such a small space (about the size of a wardrobe).

Breakfast was OK, but lacked real choice and imagination. Further, it was only available between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., which may not suit everyone. However, I think that this hotel is geared towards elderly tourists, who tend to be more ‘accommodating’ than younger people; the evening meal, for example, is served at 6:00 p.m. prompt, and we overheard the breakfast waitress taking orders from other guests for their evening meals, which is not our way of doing business … we walked into town and enjoyed some good meals at a couple of decent restaurants; try the ‘Tuscany Restaurant’, which serves excellent steaks.

Despite these predominantly negative comments, Jonathan (the owner) was very helpful and friendly, and there were some nice touches, such as umbrellas to borrow to fend off the torrential rain that battered Scarborough throughout our visit! Overall, this hotel is OK, but nothing special, and is probably more likely to suit small elderly visitors … they would probably be happy with the catering arrangements, and might stand half a chance of turning round in the en-suite without bashing their elbows on the walls!"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of May 2006