Good

great hotel

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2011

"we have stayed at the lord nelson sevaral times and i cant fault it the lanlord was very friendly we have stayed ther the last 6 years it has changed landlords since we were ther last but the new landlords wer just as friendly the breakfast was great and its location was great yes the rooms are only basic but its cheap and its got a bed in shower and bath thats all u need we go down stairs 2 bar and its a brill night with karoke n every one is friendly i sugest them who have given bad reviews should go and stay at the grand hotel and see wat that is like but make sure you have plenty of money with you cause you will need it "

• Travel date: Fri 12th of August 2011

absolute nightmare.

Reviewed Thu 15th of September 2011

"Regarding the revew (Absolute nightmare)at the Lord Nelson I would like to point out That the Landlord is not called Trev he is called Nick.I left in Feb 2010.The guest that stayed there in december said that (Trev)made remarks to her daughter and The landlady was still drunk from the night before. I would just like it to be known that it was'nt me and my wife has never been drunk in her life.Trev & Alli Grattan."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of August 2011

never again

Reviewed Tue 17th of May 2011

"My partner, another couple and their child decided to try the Lord Nelsons for our lunch. We had what was meant to be a carvery, slop would have been a better word, cold tasteless and we all left it. The staff were'nt interested. The child who was with us ate half of his and has had food poison and been poorly since. I am contacting health and safety, they should be shut down...please don't go there it's vile."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of May 2011

Absolute nightmare.

Reviewed Thu 16th of December 2010

"*Landlady very rude and could barely string a sentence together. Snapped at us at breakfast because she had supposedly had a late night, like that is our fault.

*Landlord (Trev) obnoxious and rude, made inappropriate comments to my 17 year old daughter and almost had a fistfight with one of his "regulars" whilst we were there.

*Bedrooms falling to bits, patches of damp, horrible smell. Imagine the worst and you won't be shocked.

*Bar staff moody, when my husband complained and then ordered a drink they refused to serve him, because he had complained about the hotel. Not on at all.

I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy, in short."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of December 2010

WOW !

Reviewed Tue 3rd of November 2009

"I have to say after reading some of these reviews it sounds like some people are not happy unless they are moaning.I have stayed at the hotel on a number of occasions as part of a large coach party and we found the staff helpful and friendly the views from the rooms and breakfast room fantastic. the rooms are basic but comfortable but you are not paying to stay at the ritz it is a bed and breakfast. we also had a fantastic night downstairs in the pub with the karaoke so take it from me if you are looking for a comfortable,clean,friendly establishment this is a good hotel to stay in "

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of November 2009

Great New Year Break

Reviewed Fri 2nd of January 2009

"We've just spent New Year at this place and had a brilliant time !! There were 6 in our party and all have only goods things to say about the place. Its in a brilliant location, the rooms were clean, the breakfast was really nice and Trev & Ali (Landlord & Landlay)are a lovely friendly couple. The nights entertainment with Trev and his karaoke are second to none . . brilliant !! We also had a couple of meals in there as well which were lovely and very reasonably priced . . What more could you ask for ?? We will definitely be going again."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of January 2009

best trip away EVER!

Reviewed Mon 24th of November 2008

"i can honestly say hand on heart, i've never had such a great weekend away. the welcome, the entertinment and the hospitality of the place. the whole experiance was better that the big mainstream hotels ive stayed in, you just dont get the family feel and the individuality we got at the lord nelson. the land lord and land lady, trev and alli, were so friendly and chatty, they spoke to us as if we were old friends even though we have never stayed before, the cooked breakfasts they made us were brilliant, exactly what you need, the morning after the night before.the bar staff,vicki, katie and sally, were so friendly and full of banter, we honestly felt that this pub had been our local for years, they made us feel so welcome. also compliments to alex, the chef, our sunday lunch was beautiful, gorge roast beef and yorkshire puds.
the rooms were spacious clean and had views to die for, you couldnt ask for more really from a pub b&b,

i would HIGHLY reccomend the lord nelson, to any one, negative comments previously posted seem totally unjustified to me. all i can say is maybe it wasnt the attitude of the staff that needed to be reviewed!!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of November 2008

Well what can I say!!!!!!!!. What were t...

Reviewed Wed 10th of September 2008

"Well what can I say!!!!!!!!. What were the other people on when they were commenting about this hotel!!!!!.

"The landlady needed a personality transplant" "The hotel was GROTTY" "It smelt of damp and of smoke" "The shower resembled a dripping tap".

Well I can definitely say hand on heart that they cannot be commenting on the same Lord Nelson public house/hotel we stayed at.

Reading the comments posted beforehand I decided to keep with my booking as I like to make my own judgment on places that I stay, and boy was I glad I did!.

Trevor and Alli (THE LANDLORD AND LANDLADY)were the perfect hosts during my 2 nights stay.
The landlady Alli who needed the so called personality transplant was really helpful and cheerful and was always making sure myself (PRISON OFFICER) and my best mate (POLICE OFFICER) were always ok.

The landlord Trevor who I must say has a great voice on the old karaoke made myself and my mate really welcomed and relaxed during our stay, we felt like one of the family whilst we were there and nothing was too much trouble.

The hotel room was" VERY CLEAN" with fresh bedding and nice "SOFT "clean towels.

The shared bathroom was again very clean and the shower was brilliant "HOT AND POWERFUL .
The view from our room was most spectacular right on the sea front over looking both the beach and the harbour.

The breakfast we got in the morning was delicious (a FULL English breakfast yum!yum!)
Trevor and Alli and their WONDERFUL, and HELPFUL staff made our two night break away from our stressful jobs a real relaxed and happy time.

We strongly recommend this establishment as a venue to stay if you visit Scarborough and want somewhere close to all of the amenities. Once again our thanks go to Trevor and Alli and their excellent staff for all their hard work and we will undoubtedly see you very soon.

• Travel date: Wed 10th of September 2008

After reading comments about this place...

Good
Reviewed Tue 26th of August 2008

"After reading comments about this place I was a little apprehensive but I thought I would give it a go. It's really is not as bad as what the comments were making out as the room is basic but clean, we had a lovely view. The breakfast was very nice and the staff were friendly. The pub is a little run down but it adds to the character. We will be deffinately stopping here again."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of August 2008

We stayed at this accomodation for 2 nig...

Reviewed Mon 18th of August 2008

"We stayed at this accomodation for 2 nights as a group of 14 women on our annual girls weekend. We were aware that the accomodation wasn't ensuite as taking up most of the rooms we weren't concerned with sharing with other parties. My attitude is to always expect the worse and you can't be disappointed, and we weren't. It was as bad as we expected!!!

I was in room 7. The room was large with 4 beds of which one was broken (the wooden slats underneath were broke) resulting in my friend sleeping in a feet up "stirrup" position. I'm assuming we had a sea view but I couldn't tell for all the bird muck on the window. We checked out the other parties rooms and they were as grotty as ours, in dire need of refurb. with drawfronts missing, burn marks on the carpets, broken beds, and showers that resemble a dripping tap on both floors.

The land lady (we assumed) neded a personality transplant. Our first morning breakfast was greeted by a "well I haven't got enough breakfasts for you all", no good morning, did you have a good night? or anything. Having sat there for nearly 10 minutes with no acknowledgment my friend on another table asked for breakfast and was snapped at that "it was coming". I'd not finished my breakfast but my table was rushed off so she could clean up!!

On a positive note, the breakfast was lovely, we couldn't fault it.

That evening my friend with the broken bed mentioned it to the landlady. We did't expect her to do anything but it was more that we'd paid a bond of £20 per person for anyroom damage and didn't want to be blamed for it ..jeez!! anyone would think we we all on an 18-30 holiday..if only, our party ranged from 35-55 years. Again we weren't surprised when we got no acknowledgement or apology about the bed.

The departure was an eye opener. We all left our rooms (tidy) and congregated in the bar to collect our bonds back, as told to do so. A group of 4 sharng one room wanted to depart for an earlier train but was told that until we had all handed in keys and all the rooms checked for damage they wouldn't receive anything back. On questioning this they were told that any damage in any room we would all be responsible. Again this was said in a very off hand manner. The laughable thing was that our bond money totalled £280. There wasn't £280 worth of furniture in the whole place. Of course there was no damage and our bonds were returned after an argument with the stroppy woman, who basically treated us all as though we were all a bunch of troublecausing teenagers. If they have a problem with groups they shouldn't book them in. In total we paid them £700 to stay there not to mention the money we put behind the bar!! (Note to landlady, spend some of it on a new bed for room 7).

If you like to throw your money away this is the place to go.

One last positive note, both Trev the landlord and the cleaning lady were very pleasant."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of August 2008

Staying at a new place as always can be...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of September 2007

"Staying at a new place as always can be a daunting experience as I’ve said before. Doubts can be easily dissolved, or be a harsh reality.

First let me tell you about the Lord Nelson, its set right on the sea front with the arcades and has been a popular boozer for many a years. Ideal location, the price is a query on that. Is it really worth the money? Let’s find out!!

Onto the review.
As I get 1 weekend off in 8, me and miss EC decided to go away to the coast for the night, as we both love Scarborough! Having stayed previously at the Red Lea hotel and also the boundary guest house, we were looking mainly on location and value for money but with essentials such as an en suite room which was our main priority.

Upon booking the lord nelson for the night, we questioned did was it en suite. We were assured 'yes there is a bathroom in your room'. After no hesitation, Miss EC booked it costing £60 for the 2 of us.

As there are no pictures of the rooms, we got slightly worried on the 70 mile journey to Scarborough, and were pretty glad we didn’t bring our 11 month old daughter.

We asked about car parking, to be told this has to be paid at our own cost and it was on the marina...not good at all as most hotels give you free parking permits. We were told by the bar staff they had stopped this a while ago, but she seemed very disinterested in our questions or really to absolve our doubt. She had no idea about most of the things we asked as well.

We were given 3 keys, 1 to open the door to the second lot of stairs to the bedrooms, another for the pub door, and another for the room. We were allocated room number 5.

The pub itself is very run down and in need of a serious refurb, this shows all around, even going up the stairs.

We were glad we left our daughter at home, with the amount of stairs and doorways to pass through, it would have been near impossible with a pram.

So we got to the bedrooms, rooms 1-5 are on the second floor, with rooms 6+7 on the 3rd.
Miss EC pointed out a bathroom down the hall before entering the room; I got increasingly worried about what we would find. My fears became reality in an instant.

Opening the door we both crossed our fingers, hoping for the best... this didnt happen.

We were greeted with a smell which was a mixture of damp and pipe smoke. A nauseous feeling came over me. The room was small and very pokey, a double bed along with a really collapsed chair type bed sunk into the ground from use and the room was severely outdated. I dropped the bags in shear disbelief and couldn’t believe what I had paid my hard earned money for.

I looked for a bathroom, well... we found a door, but it was sealed shut and screwed in... where was our en suite bathroom! The TV looked like something from the 50's that was in black and white and had to fiddle with the aerial in order to get a decent signal! I didn’t dare turn it on incase it was correct.

So as you can guess, we were very unhappy, I said to miss EC, we aren’t staying here... id rather sleep on the beach. We have to find somewhere else and I don’t care how much it costs. Miss EC was nearly in tears by this point as our night away was really in tatters.

Enraged, we went downstairs and questioned the lady on the bar and told her how horrified we were and that we would be finding elsewhere to reside for the night. Again, she was totally disinterested which made my anger even worse. She rang the landlady who said to give us room number 7; I said I want to look at it first.

Miss EC was already on the phone at this point frantically trying to find us a place to stay, as by now the time was already 2pm. Red Lea hotel offered us a room at £43.50 for the both of us with an en suite room and a fantastic breakfast. You can see my Red Lea hotel review when you search. We got the key and had a look, after climbing 3 sets of stairs. We were offered it as the bathroom is only shared by 2 rooms ...still not good enough. This room was slightly larger and had an extra single bed in, however it was still very outdated and a long way to climb after a night on the tiles.

I sat on the bed and pondered....then I thought... why not try the Royal hotel?

Miss EC got the number and rang; they offered us a double room for about £40 each. I said ''sod it check how much a deluxe suite is!'' I wanted the best room they can find, as money is no object after this! We got the reply of £225 for the room, and booked it instantly. Most who know me on holiday watchdog know I don’t enjoy paying a whole lot of money for a place to stay. But desperate times call for desperate measures and we deserved a bit of luxury for a change. However all of this is covered in a separate review.

Back to the Lord Nelson.
We grabbed our bags and headed downstairs, in the bliss that we would be in a luxurious hotel in our own private suite with lounge, bedroom, and bathroom right at the top of the tram station that takes you from the beach to the town.

I said to the lass on the bar, not good enough we're leaving now. She said well the landlady won’t be in until 8.30pm to get a refund as it was done by card (another big mistake) I said fine, we'll be back.

We did return at 8.30pm prompt that evening. Polite as ever, I said good evening, yes we booked the room today but due to unfortunate circumstances relating to the poor communication from staff we've gone elsewhere.

Needless we left, and I had several beers to get over what I’d seen during the day. If it had been like £10 each I could have made some exceptions, but I do have levels of standard, to which this place didn’t even benchmark.

I picked up an advertisement for the rooms as I left and just had to laugh. The pictures of the rooms must have been when everything was new, as it doesn’t look anything like it now. Lord nelson would be ashamed to have his name on this public house.

Take heed of the warning how room pictures aren’t posted on the internet.

So ladies and gents please do take my advice and steer clear. It may be a fantastic location, but the standards are to which I wouldn’t even house a dog in. I can’t even imagine what the breakfast would have been like!

I hate giving bad reviews, but the word about this place has already spread like a bush fire. I give nothing but honest, true advice. Being in the customer service industry all my life, I know what to expect and what other people expect as well

If they do ask you to pay by card here, DO NOT DO IT! as if you choose to leave, it can become quite a time consuming experience and you won’t get your full amount back.

We will never make the same mistake again without viewing the room first.

All the best and happy travels wherever it may lead you!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2007

Hotels near Lord Nelson Hotel

Top traveller tips for Lord Nelson Hotel

• unhappy guest by unhappy guest

"A blight on Scarborough's wonderful beachfront. "