HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Reviewed Mon 14th of January 2013

"iF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A PLACE TO STAY WHERE NOTHING IS TOO MUCH TROUBLE, YOU ARE TREATED LIKE ONE OF THE FAMILY, YOU AND ALL YOUR 26 FRIENDS ARE GIVEN THE VERY BEST WELCOME THEN YOU MUST STAY AT THE LA BAIA HOTEL. I have stayed there 4 times now and can say without any shadow of a doubt I have received 5 star service. The hosts are wonderful, professional at all times yet warm hospitable and very friendly, nothing is too much trouble for them.. I have stayed at La Baia with a group of colleagues from a theatre group and our numbers have grown year on year. We would all recommend it. It is immaculately clean and they do a breakfast to die for!

Sylvia and members of CrigglestoneTheatre Company"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of May 2008

'Clean' at the La Baia

Reviewed Mon 14th of January 2013

"I was looking for a good venue for my golf society. 12 men 35-70 years of age. After a quick search on smoothhounds web site I went on the Grand hotel,,, one of the alternative nearby hotels listed, included the La Baia hotel, Scarborough.. I made contact back in September with Tony and Elaine, the owners and arranged a quick review of the hotel with my wife..

My wife and I drove over from Manchester the following weekend so we could review the hotel,,,,,,,nothing worst than 11 grumpy old men giving me earache if they were not happy with the facilities,,,,,we were amazed by the spectacular view of the North bay coast and North Sea from the front door of the Hotel. We were met by Tony and Elaine and given a quick tour,,,,it was just what we needed,,,My wifes first comment was it was 'clean',,which as organiser was music to my ears,,,I quickly spotted the well stocked bar and as the hotel was reasonably priced I made a firm offer as quickly as I could for 5 days bed and breakfast..

When May came the weather was kind to us and we didn't sea a cloud for 5 days,,,and hardly any wind,,, perfect for golf.. We played at Malton and Norton, Whitby, North Cliff, Kirkbymoorside and Flamborough Golf clubs.

My 11 playing partners were all delighted with the hotel,, its accommodation,, food,, bar facilities and the helpful hand of the proprietors,,,and yes it was spotlessly clean..

We will all reflect over the coming year,,one member said "probably the best golf trip our golf society has ever been on", another thought it was the best hotel we had stayed in,,,whilst a third thought the breakfasts were the best we had ever experienced,, our society is now 20 years old,,,we have been around the block.. We enjoyed ourselves so much we have arranged to go back for the same 5 days in 2009,,,we will play at five different courses but the base will stay the same,,The La Baia Hotel,, looking forward to it all ready"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of May 2008

A friendly welcome

Reviewed Thu 10th of January 2013

"A short break to celebrate a birthday, easy booking, a great welcome and also help with parking locally
I mentioned that it was a special occasion and we were offrered a very nice sea view room. They even booked a local restaurant for us on the Saturday night!
Breakfast was very good and lots to choose from. They do evening meals if you pre book
As with all hotels and B & B's in this area the rooms are not large, but the room we had was very adequate and comfortable

In short, we had a nice time, the owners are very welcoming and friendly people, the price was fine and we are sure to return"

• Travel date: Sat 26th of April 2008

Friendly and good value for money

Reviewed Tue 1st of January 2013

"We stayed here for a family get-together in October. As others have said the owners were very welcoming and accommodating - holding a meal for late arrivals until after the restaurant had shut.

We had rooms at the back of the hotel which were comfortable, although we couldn't get more than tepid water out of our shower. We woke to a strong smell of fried food in the morning even though we were on the very top floor. The breakfast was good, and the evening meal also - not a huge choice but ordinary standard English fare. We had one bottle of wine, asked for another but they only had one that was already opened. They bought extra in for us the following evening.

This is the kind of place that people come back to again and again because of the friendly atmosphere, sitting in the bar was a bit like being in a friend's front room and all the guests were chatting to each other. Several said that they had been there many times and particularly recommended Christmas and New Year,"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of January 2008

What A Lovely, Welcoming Couple....

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"How often have you been to a small hotel or guesthouse and wanted to go into the bar but instead retired to your room because you didn't know anyone?

My wife Pam & I (in our 50's) stayed at La Baia recently and thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

The owners, Elaine & Tony treated us as friends rather than guests but without ever intruding on our privacy. So the first night we were welcomed into the bar to say hello - and of course we stayed....

Rooms were spotless, views over Scarborough's North Bay exhilarating,
breakfasts superb and service from this lovely couple and the two young lady assistants was warm, friendly and efficient.

We tried a couple of evening meals and the only downside was that we didn't try them earlier in our stay....

I've seen some reviews elsewhere that said the en-suite areas were on
the small side, but we had no problem with this and certainly they were no smaller than some of the en-suites I've seen in some big London hotels.

Scarborough is by nature a hilly town and although there are some steep routes back from the centre, others are less taxing and still around the 10 minutes or so walking distance advertised.

Overall an excellent short break and it would be unhesitatingly our first choice if we returned to this part of North Yorkshire.

Pam & Bob
Liverpool"

• Travel date: Thu 25th of October 2007

Really nice people

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"There are a huge amount of places of this size and shape to stay, I used this site to make my decision as I usually do now. Just as well I did, as I may have come unstuck otherwise. Yes you could say some aspects of La Baia are a little dated, however if you want grand surroundings then you arent looking in the right section to begin with.

This place does what it says on the tin and you arent likely to find better hosts than Tony and Elaine. This to me is the most importang thing in a small place. Far too often my stays elsewhere have been ruined by miserable or unhelpful staff. That wont happen here, you are always an individual and not a number. The breakfast is excellent, I never got to try the evening meal but it smelt good I have to say. Tony and Elaine are great people, and you wont find nicer if you look for hours, so stop looking.

The chef has worked at top hotels in the past and Tony, the owner, is also a qualified chef so you will be fed well if thats your worry.

I would have no qualms recommending this place to anyone and will return myself at some point.

Two things to bear in mind, its very hilly here so be careful if you have mobility problems, and secondly...... you MUST MUST visit The Magpie at Whitby ( 21 miles away use bus service H56 from rail station). You will never taste fish like it, you will have to queue to get in but dont be put off its worth the wait.

[--]

I am happy to answer any questions you wish to ask, mail me at [email protected]

Regards

Marc"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of September 2007

Perfect, for a B&B

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This looked very similar to all the other B&Bs in Scarborough, but i was assured not all were as nice inside. the decor was a little old fashioned for my taste and needed updating a bit- but the photots of the hotel given on the website are an accurate reflection of the B&B. I think i was expecting a hotel, so was a little disappointed by the decor, but my boyfriend was happy with it.

The best thing about this B&B are the hosts, the owners are great and make you feel very welcome.

price is average, £56 for a sea view room for two people.

however it was a little noisy at night, and we could hear the people's next door TV.

hotel was very clean and tidy and breakfast was great! thanks for a lovely stay."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

The best

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"What a lovely welcome we received from Tony & Elaine, this was our first visit to their hotel, it will i hope be the first of many!!.
Our rooms were spotless, warm and very comfortable, with en- suite facilities,toiletries, hair drier, and tea/coffee. Nothing was too much trouble.
Everyone was very friendly and courteous, and we enjoyed our stay (only 2 nights) very much, and look forward to another visit
in the near future.
Jen & Trev"

• Travel date: Sun 11th of February 2007

A lovely place to stay

Reviewed Tue 6th of February 2007

"My wife, daughter and I stayed in the La Baia for a couple of nights in January. It is located above the North Bay and is conveniently placed within walking distance of all the town's amenities. We were given a pass entitling us to free on-street parking for the duration of our stay and we were able to park outside the front door of the hotel. Our rooms were warm, clean and comfortable with adequate ensuite facilities, television, radio alarm, hair dryer etc., and had breathtaking views over the North Bay of Scarborough. The staff were friendly and courteous and went out of their way to be helpful, making our stay there a very pleasant break indeed. Breakfast was a generous affair with a wide range of options besides the full English Breakfast. I would recommend this hotel unreservedly and look forward to returning as soon as I get the opportunity."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of February 2007

Home sweet home at La Baia

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the La Baia Hotel in July this year after it had been recommended to us by a friend. We had a lovely weekend there and didnt want to leave. The Hotel stands on the cliff top overlooking the north bay and the views truly are breathtaking. We were in room 4 and enjoyed panoramic views of the sea and the beach. The room was large and very clean with an en suite shower and bath. It also had a kingsize bed that was extremely comfortable and very welcome after our long walks around Scarborough! The hotel is run by a lovely couple, Tony and Elaine. They were very welcoming and made us feel at home. The Hotel has its own bar and boasts a selection of different whiskies which we had fun sampling! There is a seating area in the front garden of the Hotel which is great for sitting and having a drink while you watch the sun setting over the bay. In the morning our breakfast was cooked to order in the victorian style dining room. They have a large and tasty menu to choose from and they do serve evening meals too if required. You also get a parking pass and have the benefit of free on street parking. We are definately going to stay there again as we enjoyed it so much. They are doing some out of peak season offers where you pay for one night and get one night free. The Hotel is so friendly we felt as though we had been staying with friends. We strongly recommend the La Baia."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of July 2006