Good

The pits

Reviewed Wed 25th of July 2018

"My children treated me to a weekend in Grand Hotel for my birthday. I walked into Reception and it was horrible - it is really rough. Empty glasses everywhere; shabby décor and no indication where the Reception desk was. Had to wait in a long line to book in. Quite a few people were complaining that their rooms were not ready and it was 7.30 pm but the harassed Reception staff said that it would be done up to 8 pm.
Despite my instincts telling me to walk out immediately I went to see what the room was like. The room was on the 3rd floor and we managed to find the lifts - the lift was horrible (stained and smelly). We opened the door to the room - it was very small with only a bed. The carpet was horrible - you would not be able to walk on the floor with no shoes on. There was urine all over the small bathroom floor and there were no towels provided. There was no way I could have stayed in this room or this hotel.
The Reception staff were scruffy and not welcoming or helpful. Parking is impossible.
The short time I spent in the hotel has given me nightmares and I would never recommend it to anyone it was scruffy and horrible."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2018

Disappointed

Reviewed Tue 24th of April 2018

"After queing to check in for at least 30 Minutes I was sent to a room on 4th floor which had someone else's belonging in, I went back to reception to tell them and to say it also smelled of cigarette smoke, to be told by very unhelpful staff he didn't know how this had happened and yes the fourth floor rooms were all smoking rooms....is that not against the law!! Our friends on 6 th floor had a window that wouldn't close its February..it's cold! We all got our money back but felt they couldn't care less , will never go back"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of February 2017

Totally spoilt wedding anniversary stay

Reviewed Sun 13th of November 2016

"My husband and I stayed here in May this year, unfortunately!!!! It was our wedding anniversary and then Niagara falls comes through the ceiling. We went to reception 2 people who did not introduce themselves came and had a look, no apology just said okay go to reception and they will give you a new room, all I wanted was for them to say sorry for the inconvenience and please have a bottle of complimentary (free) wine on us and I would have been happy, they didn't even offer to help us move!!!
We emailed to advise that their customer service was a little lacking upon our return home, they were apologetic and offer us a complimentary room with dining upgrade hahahaha only for me to ring up and speak to Ana to take them up on what I thought was a kind offer only to be told no that is not what they meant the meant a complimentary room upgrade and I had to pay £40 for the pleasure of staying there!!
I declined and re emailed the manager, Mark, told him his email was misleading and that I assumed complimentary meant free! He told me he was sort I had misinterpreted his email and yes the could do me a reduced rate again declined!!!!!
So very disappointed yes this hotel is not the cleanest, the rooms are not the smartest but we were repeat customers who enjoyed the history of the building and Scarborough itself but after the last visit and the couldn't care less attitude of the management we shall not bother visiting the Grand again.
I must add the lady in the premier restaurant for breakfast is the most redeeming feature of this hotel, kind friendly and can't do enough for you."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of October 2016

Horrible Staff, Damp room

Reviewed Mon 3rd of October 2016

"Disgraceful place to stay. Location is brilliant but the staff are useless and inexperienced and we were put in a room with no window and it was like been in a dungeon with the damp. On top of that they close the doors after 11 and we had trouble trying to get back in to the hotel. AVOID AVOID AVOID"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of October 2016

views and opinion

Reviewed Mon 26th of September 2016

"The not so Grand Hotel .have just come back from a 5 day stay.What can i say,absolutely awful.if you have booked to stay here cancel,lovely downstairs but when you get to the bedrooms different story.the cleaner came into my room once but not to clean the dust on TV was an inch thick.dogs in hotel well maybe but when it comes to taking them in the dining room,should never be allowed.the food appalling if you threw the bacon against the wall it would not have broken it was so hard.people staying in the basement,with no windows how can they do that,They are going back years when it was staff quarters.As for the staff it self ,what staff there were,needs retraining they didn't no a lot not helpful at all.they had one jobsworth in the restaurant early 20s he will be manager next week.2 restaurants the one upstairs for the people who payed more money,we should have been treated the same,as far as i am concerned.Scarborough is lovely,but avoid the Grandat all costs.people were booking in,after an hour they were booking out again.not disabled friendly at all.never seen anything like it.rant over.Just making you all aware."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of September 2016

I would never stay there again!

Reviewed Wed 21st of September 2016

"My partner and I booked this hotel for my 50th birthday. Booked double room/ 2 night stay. On arrival we waited half an hour to book in. . I was so disappointed with parts of the hotel ( run down) we were placed in a family room ( looked more like a hostel. It was clean, but had to climb on a bed to see the sea. The wall was damp and only one socket, all the others were sealed off, despite being safely out of a child's reach. We paid £ 178 for this awful , depressing room, felt cheated. We spent the two days out of there and only went back to sleep. Such a shame, beautiful building and so run down. Never again. "

• Travel date: Fri 9th of September 2016

Cesspit

Reviewed Sat 10th of September 2016

"I have stayed in Guesthouses and Hostels all over the world and this is without question the worse place I have stayed in. We checked in and when we asked where our room was we were grunted at ant told over their??. We spent 5 minutes navigating our way past boxes of rubbish and eventually found a lift, which low and behold did not work. Staff did not speak much English and were very unhelpful. The way to our room was through a maze of underground corridors and steps and each floor and section had very unpleasant moldy damp and chemical smells. The corridors were stained and rancid. The room had no Air and within 10 minutes we found it difficult to breath through the stagnant air. No window no venting for air. The sink was blocked. The tv did not work, The bed sheets were soiled. The handle to the drawers were broken etc etc. When we complained we were treated like dirt. The staff and manager on duty was unhelpful, obnoxious and deeply unpleasant and we told it was our fault for booking a budget room and they could upgrade for another 20 pounds. HEALTH AND SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH WOULD HAVE A FIELD DAY IN THIS HOTEL. "

• Travel date: Sun 4th of September 2016

NOT THE GRAND

Reviewed Tue 2nd of August 2016

"OMG!! Worse than a backpackers hotel. Rooms cheap and nasty, windows filthy and don't open. Food you wouldn't give a dog, the whole place is filthy including the terrace. Very miserable and unhelpful staff. It's cheap for a reason. You have to queue at reception for everything. I queued for 20 minutes for milk and was told they had none left. I had to go to a shop and buy some. So sad and depressing to hear people at reception so irate and in tears trying to get a room change or some other problem. Avoid it like the plague. I'm stunned as to how they have a license. A picture of the bath, no shower. "

• Travel date: Mon 1st of August 2016

Sinking ship

Reviewed Tue 9th of August 2016

"Just back from the grand worst food for years could not even cut my cauliflower with a knife cold tea and dirty cups this is our fifth visit we love Scarborough and the hotel but every year it gets worst this week sewage came up the toilet bowl and onto the floor this is what another holiday visitor told us keeping our fingers crossed that the Grand Hotel can get a cash injection to improve the place. "

• Travel date: Fri 29th of July 2016

What a shame

Reviewed Fri 29th of July 2016

"I booked 2 nights for my family as a treat as we have not been away together before. I booked 4 twin budget rooms and at the time of booking I had no idea that there were no windows in the rooms. The reception told me that they could upgrade for an extra £10 . When we eventually found our rooms which in itself was very stressful as the directions and lifts was like being in a mace we were very disappointed .If there had been a fire it would have been difficult to escape in spite of the fire exit signs. My niece's room smelt of smoke and cooking and she complained and was given another room and the lock came off in her hand.When she tried to upgrade she was told there were no rooms ! The customer care is extremely poor and all the staff look indifferent when trying to address these concerns . Its hardly surprising as they must have developed this attitude as a protection for the complaints they must receive and its not their fault its the management team that should be addressing these issues . My family all left within 2 hours to find alternative accommodation and I felt like I had let them down . It should be made clear when booking that there are no windows in some rooms . It really was very stressful and disappointing. A beautiful grand building left in the hands of poor management!!!!! what a shame. "

• Travel date: Fri 29th of July 2016

Reviewed Wed 22nd of June 2016

"My Mam and i stayed here last week with National Holidays.
We were allocated a room on the 4th floor, it stunk of stale smoke, the window wouldn't open. i asked if we could be moved. We were informed by reception staff that the 4th floor was the 'smoking' floor. i didn't realise it was still legal to smoke anywhere in hotels anymore! We were moved to the 1st floor. This room had such a loud noise coming from the generator that i didn't get any sleep. It was very cold for my mam who is 81 and the radiators wouldnt work. i asked about this at reception about these and i was told they were turned off so they would bring a heater up but they never did!! We lasted in there one night, but after no sleep (due to the cold, noisy generator and the entertainment starting at 10pm), i asked to be moved again. We were moved to the 6th floor which was marginally better but the television kept going off. We were promised someone would look at it but that never happened either, so we gave up!

The food wasn't too bad, apart from having the same 3 vegetables on all nights, but the cleanliness of the restaurant left a lot to be desired. My Mam asked if she could have a spoonful of honey for her porridge, but was told she would have to have been booked into the 'premier' restaurant for that!

We sat with different company every day, and did not meet one person who said they would return to the hotel.

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of June 2016

dirty

Reviewed Mon 27th of June 2016

"Myself and my family stay and the Grand Hotel for 2 days and what an experience , arrived there only to be told that we hadn't booked enough rooms and needed to book another which we did OMG what an absolute mess no window in room no air right next to the kitchen no remote for TV and no proper covers. ended up not staying in that room but stayed in my mums room which wasn't that good either the beds were very hard also think they need lessons on how to make a bed towels for washing with we had 1 towel to go between 4 which was bad asked for some more and they said no , my grandma stayed in another room and she had towels in hers but that not the point each room should have the correct amount of things in , my brother took his 2 little children with him and when it came down to tea time he had to pay £12.95 for there tea's as well as his own but we all know that little one's aged 3 and 4 don't eat a lot and we asked if they could eat of are plates just get them a side plate to put some food on it and they said no if you don't pay l cant let you in he replied which l thought was disgusting l ended up on the floor at night time and got up the following morning to fly bites and when l packed my things up they were all over my bag and running up my leg."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of June 2016

Hotels near Grand Hotel Scarborough

Top traveller tips for Grand Hotel Scarborough

• manyoufan by manyoufan

"The town, the beach and the front are great if you can find a decent hotel "

• manyoufan by manyoufan

"There were lots of great restaurants, a nice harbour and good shopping "

• xxTinkxx by xxTinkxx

"Lovely place makes you feel like a child again with the rock and ice cream! "

• Bobbby by Bobbby

"Previous visits to the area - Loved local scenery - Robin Hood Bay, Whitby, Pickering and Moors "

• J clapham by J clapham

"TRICOLOR- Italian was excellent "

• Petaandy by Petaandy

"Scarborough itself is lovely. Something for everyone. "

• Petaandy by Petaandy

"Visit the castle run by National Heritage and Sea Life. "

• suebbak by suebbak

"Scarborough is lovely "

• angie2710 by angie2710

"castle, harbour speed boatrides and pleasure boats seeing scarborough from the sea is amazing "

• angie2710 by angie2710

"take a trip on the pleasure cruiser "

• stickman by stickman

"visit scarborough keep away from the grand hotel "

• Smurfy by Smurfy

"A nice place, but stay at a B&B. "

• Smurfy by Smurfy

"The pub just along from the SeaLife Centre - I forget it's name, is great. "

• "avoid it at all costs "

• gp by gp

"Avoid unless you want to loose stuff. "

• tru by tru

"do not expect a 4 star hotel "

• PB by PB

"Scarborough is a nice place - just DON'T stay at The Grand! "

• IJ by IJ

"See for yourself. It doesn't always pay to believe everything you read "

• maverick64 by maverick64

"Never, ever stay in this dump "

• budge & the trollop by budge & the trollop

"total value for the money "

Grand Hotel Scarborough is also called