Good

a pleasant stay

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"firstly we visited scarborough during a very wet weekend to support our childrens swimming club, we were going to camp but the weather conditions were terrible. this caused us to contact Steve at Chatsworth hotel at short notice, he was very accomodating and sorted our family room within a flash unfortunatley due to a missunderstanding via staff he contacted myself a day later stating that the room had been double booked and that he could offer us a twin and a double at a discount.

upon arriving we found a warm welcome and two very clean and respectable rooms, our only grumble was a loose towel rail in one room and a light not working in the bathroom in the other.

We were informed of the hotel policies via a great little folder within our rooms which was full of helpful numbers and local facillities.

breakfast is of a buffet style which we were given permission to use a little earlier than stated due to the kids having an early warmup. this was great as the kids could eat a light but filling breakfast of toast, cereal and patiseries. and which also meant no breakfasts that were paid for but not eaten i.e full english!!

all in all a pleasant stay

just a hint do the games room up alittle and a few more provisions in their for families would be fab!

thanks"

• Travel date: Sat 30th of June 2007

Enjoyable stay at the Chatsworth

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My adult daughter and I stayed at Chatsworth between the 17th and 20th August 2006. We found it pleasantly located on a quite street, near to most of North bays attractions and the Public Swimming pool was just opposite.
The street parking was free and we had no problems finding a space anytime we parked our car. On arrival we where met by a member of staff who was very pleasant and helped us with our cases to the reception hall where the owner booked us in and took our cases up to our room.
Our twin room was airy, light, clean, tidy, all the appliances worked, and the en-suite was a generous size also well maintained with plenty of hot water available at all times. The beds where comfortable with spotlessly clean bedding and I must say I slept soundly and woke refreshed each morning.
Breakfast was *serve your self* style, where we found everything we needed for a continental breakfast in the clean well-equipped kitchen. There was of plenty milk, hot water, coffee, tea, juice and no limit on food available. The breakfast room being clean and pleasantly presented with plenty of tables and comfortable chairs. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast choosing a table near the window where we had a nice view of the North cliff and Scarborough Castle in the distance.
We found the owner and staff although quite casual in their manner very helpful and genuine and the style of this hotel suited us nicely. We where quite impressed to note one guest had her well-mannered little dog accompany her during her stay and learned she stayed at this hotel each year on her annual holiday.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would recommend it to those who like a quite, clean, reasonably priced holiday accommodation.
Owner and staff where very thoughtful and helpful with my daughter when she wanted to phone home, being Australia. Allowing her husband & kids to ring their own private phone each morning to say goodnight before they went to bed. I thought this a very kind gesture to a mother missing her family having been away from them for the first time.

We would happily stay again here and for those who enjoy a casual hotel I would say go and stay there."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of June 2007

Easter break

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Scarborough is my favourite resort and we had a lovely time at the Chatsworth; we managed to book last minute and the staff were helpful and friendly over the phone. Our room had a fantastic view of the castle and was clean and comfortable. The price was really reasonable, given the excellent location. Our kids enjoyed the breakfast in particular, where, instead of a stodgy fry-up, there was a choice of options which they could help themselves to! We would definitely stay here again!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of June 2007

May Bank Holiday Weekend

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My husband and I booked this short break after searching the web and we were impressed with the hotels website. They were quick to respond to our emails and answered any queries that we had regarding our stay especially as we have two small children and expecting our third child very soon.
On arrival we were greeted warmly and given the keys to our room which was a family room with a double bed, bunkbeds and en-suite. The room was clean and tidy with clean sheets as you would expect.
The breakfast in the morning was basic which you help yourself to and it would have been nice to have another choice of cereal. The owner was fantatsic though as I was allowed to use their microwave in the kitchen to heat up my childs breakfast.
The only thing I would say is that dont let the previous comments put you off booking here as two days before we were due to travel I found this website and I was worried sick about what we would find when we got there.
As we all know people are quick to judge when things go wrong but never praise when things go right. If you are expecting the Ritz go and pay Ritz prices!!
So one last thing we will definatley be booking again next year."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of June 2007

It's not as bad as they said

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We rented three double rooms for one night whilst we attended my parent's diamond wedding. I booked it through the internet. The booking itself went fine, and whilst one of the rooms was small, the other was average and my husband and I had a very nice, large, light room. All the rooms and bathrooms were clean and we had a large and a small towel for each person. The room price is very reasonable for the area. We were not promised a four star hotel, and I found it adequate for our needs.

The tea and coffee making facilities were fine. There was off-road parking for several cars, as advertised.

The owner was very accommodating and four of us arrived after midnight with no problem. Lots of hotels will not let you do this. I would stay there again, if I were to return to Scarbrough."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

Worst hotel ever

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We booked this after seeing it on the local tourist board website. It looked really nice and after phoning and booking a family room we were looking forward to a pleasant experience. What a shock we got. Upon arrival we were asked for our money upfront by someone who appeared to be the owner. He seemed taken aback when asked for reciept. When we went up to the room we were shocked to find something that can only be described as a boxroom. It contained a three quarter bed and a bunkbed. It had a TV conveniently placed above your head where the bed was and you couldnt actually see it. The kettle did not reach the socket and once we moved it to a convient socket found the milk was off. The ensuite was about the same size as the bedroom and the whole lot was unclean. Breakfast was a joke. Cold croissants, bread, you could toast if you required, jam and cornflakes if you really looked hard. They were easier to find than the owner though. We never saw him again from the moment we handed over the money. The staff appeared to be of far eastern background and were having breakfast before the guests could get to it !! Didnt go back to the room till really late for the 2nd night and avoided breakfast altogether the next morning. Lots of notices around the place blaming previous guests for the state of the place, for small towels because the big ones had been nicked. No food for breakfast because the guests were leaving more than they eat !! This really is one to avoid unless you are desperate. Reminded me of Fawlty Towers but without the laughs."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of June 2007

Would not stay again.

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"6 of us booked to stay in 3 rooms at the Chatsworth for a girls weekend away. We initially had problems with the booking being lost, however got this sorted after several phonecalls. 2 of us arrived at 12noon ish, no-one available, no off road parking as advertised on website and had to leave car parked on front street. Eventually got into rooms at 4ish, and owner wanted cash upfront. All 3 rooms were of a similar standard, very poky, yes the beds were comfortable and bedding clean, but the rest of the room and bathroom were not clean at all. Milk had gone off in the tea and coffee supplied in room, curtains too small for windows and very threadbare carpets. Room locks did not fill you with confidence and security downstairs was very poor too.

Breakfast was shocking, a few pots of marmalade and jam, several loaves of stale bread in their packets, no tea of coffee machine, just same packets as in the room and no fresh orange, just weak diluted juice. One plastic box of cornflakes and half pint jug of milk with a dodgy looking film on top completed the breakfast buffet. Lets just say that all 6 of us ended up having a bacon butty on the beach for breakfast!

Hotel looks quite pretty from outside, but very badly maintained inside. Only stay here as an absolute last resort, and don't plan on having breakfast in the place.

Certainly not for couples or families, OK for overnight "party night/pub crawl" stay if you're not planning on spending any time in the room at all!"

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

Enjoy the Chatsworth

Good
Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We have just had one nights stop at the Chatsworth, Scarborough. The family room was plenty big enough for 4, very clean with good facilities. The owner was very friendly and helpful. Will definitely use again."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of May 2007

worst hotel

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We booked to stay over the easter weekend after looking at the nice pictures on the website we arrived and was greeted by the owner and given one key which opened the front door and the room doors plus keys where in the entrance hall which anyone could get a hold off no security what so ever. The owner wanted paying up front as soon as we walked into the hotel. Which luckily for us we said we would pay when settled but after going into the room there was black marks all down the walls a bunk bed and double bed cramped into the room no storage space for clothes.
We couldn't even bear to be in the room it was horrible we tried to contact the owner but for some reason he had vanished so after a while we posted him the key back and left the hotel not bearing to be able to stay in it for even one night."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of April 2007

Worst hotel ever

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel in Aug 2006, This really is the worst hotel ever, the pictures on the website for this hotel are not a true reflection of what you are actually getting for your money, The owner is never around you have to post a note in a box if you require assistance, which after a day is still sat there, I genuinley believe they do not own a hoover, the carpets were that dirty that I could not let me my daughter play on the floor, you have to pay on arrival, which I now know why, there is no cooked breakfast just diy toast and a plastic box of cornflakes that everyone and their mother has had their hand in. When we approached the owner for our money back for the second night to go home as we felt we could not take our daughter back in the room he was rude arrogant and really couldnt care less, He also said he doesnt claim to have clean rooms, however he states on his website spotlessley clean what a joke. I have actually cried about this as it spolit our whole weekend and we had to drive 2 hours home at 8.30pm with no refund. The room carpet really was that bad it had flies on the floor and sweet rappers, and grass and muck there was something down the wall which I darent even wipe off it was utterly filthy, please do not take your children there it is unclean and unhygenic.!!"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of August 2006