Good

Not up to the standard we expected.

Reviewed Thu 26th of May 2016

"The staff were excellent and the breakfast, although a little on the expensive side, was good but the hotel it's self was far below the standard we expected in a town like Harrogate, which we visit on a very regular basis, and let down an otherwise good start to our weekend. I have read other reviews before writing this and notice that one says the car parking was free. Not so in our case as we payed £10 for the one night parking. The hotel seems to decorated in a shabby chic style but to us it was far more shabby than chic and definitely not a place we will be visiting again. The cost of £113 for a double room, for one night, £20 for breakfast and £10 car parking made this an expensive night compared to other establishments we have stayed at in the Yorkshire Dales area. We have previously had two nights, with change, in Layburn for the cost of one night here. Anyone wishing to stay overnight in Harrogate would be well advised to find alternative accommodation until the White Hart is brought into the 20th Century. Thankfully we did not let this experience, of staying at the White Hart, spoil our stay in Harrogate but it would have been even better if this hotel was up to a good standard. "

• Travel date: Sat 14th of May 2016

A ruined weekend!

Reviewed Tue 4th of June 2013

"A long planned girls weekend was cut short by this incompetent establishment. We initially excused the off hand way in which we were checked in and over charged and the shabby room we put down to faded glory.
What we didn't bank on was being baked alive in a tiny room in which the heating was stuck on...a maintenance issue we accept...it was the 4 calls to reception, 3 visits and two visits to our room...from 3pm to 11.30pm...it was being blatantly lied to and given the run around which we objected to! Had we been listened to at 3pm the issue could have been resolved - we could have gone to another hotel if need be. As it was we were stuck there for the night...we had a sleepless night with the windows wide open but were boiling.
Next day we both felt terrible and decided to just go home...cutting short our stay. Again we were given the run around...told the general manager would be arriving....then he wouldn't, and anyway he doesn't talk to customers (!)...I won't go on...you get the picture. We've received some money back after countess attempts at contacting them...I give up...life is too short.
My suggestion, don't stay there! "

• Travel date: Fri 31st of May 2013

HANDY HOTEL

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Ideal hotel for all Harrogate central attractions. The rooms are a little dated but clean and tidy. The breakfast is buffet style with plenty on offer and hot (most buffets aren't)! The car parking is secure and FREE!
I would defiantly stay there again."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of September 2009

Great Location, Rooms could do with modernisation

Reviewed Thu 7th of March 2013

"Easy to find and right in the centre of Harrogate. Great secure car park. Public areas are lovely and looks like been recently done up. Rooms let it down a little (we stayed in a standard double). Wallpaper coming off but you get what you pay for. The location and parking facilities are reflected in the price. Bathroom appeared to be new but is more of a wet room (not a problem). The hotel is very very clean!! Bed is very comfortable. Slight noise from outside (various vents and traffic) but nothing you couldn't sleep through. Breakfast is ace!! Waiters very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of July 2009

Great place to say to enjoy wonderful Harrogate

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"After reading thr reviews on this site i was worried about my stay. DO NOT BELIEVE THE BAD REVIEWS - THIS PLACE IS GOOD!!!!!
Stayed here for two nights whilst going to York Races!!
Hotel was very very clean and the breakfast was the best i have had whilst on a holiday!!!
The location is brilliant been so close to the hotel.
We stayed over the weekend and it was very peaceful and a good night sleep was had.
The car park is very handy been just to the rear of the hotel and secure.
Would deffinatley stay again in the future.
The room wasnt five star but it wasnt ment to be. I think we got good value for what we paid £80 per room per night!!! The room was clean and tidy the only thing it could be faulted on was the aging styled decor, but we were only staying there not living there for ever. The bathroom was modern stylish and again very clean with plenty of soap etc.

Would stay again to morro (Didnt want to leave) !!!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of July 2009

Reasonable and quite comfortable

Reviewed Mon 4th of March 2013

"I stayed in this hotel with my mother. We each had a single room. My room was quite spacious with a three quarter bed, however my mother's was smaller with a small single. Hers was less comfortable.
There were no complimentary products in the bathroom sadly.
The breakfast was good with a varied choice for all tastes.
There seemed to very few staff in the hotel
One criticism that I have is ,because I had stayed there before, fo a wedding, I was aware that the bathroom floor was extremely slippery when wet. Although there was a warning to this effect and I took great care i still fell.
Being aware of this problem, on my second visit I asked for a non slip bathmat to be told they did not have one. Very poor service.
, especially if elderly guests are staying.
Apart from this I quite like the hotel and it is very reasonabley priced"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of June 2009

Tries hard but doesn't quite get it

Reviewed Fri 22nd of February 2013

"Reasonable hotel for a one night stay but don't expect too much service. Typified by me by the sign outside the breakfast room saying please wait to be seated but with no-one there to greet you and direct you. The staff didn't really care where you sat! Soap containers in the bathroom were empty but late evening service in the bar was good."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of May 2009

brilliant location

Reviewed Tue 12th of February 2013

"our second time staying here and had to write a review due to some of the other 'bad' ones. it's a very old hotel with alot of character, brilliantly situated for the town centre and situated in the montpellier area of harrogate, also very near the valley gardens. we stayed on the third floor with a lovely view of the christmas lights on the trees, the top of the hotel is a bit like a castle so the view can br restricted sometimes but not in a bad way, room 312 was very large and comfortable, the heating is controlled by reception but we just opened the window if it got a bit hot in the room, the breakfast was great, we didn't share a table either time, free newspapers and a good selection, and great coffee! would definitely stay again, i don't know what some people expect for £50 to £60 per night when you consider the upkeep of such a building, if you want down and out luxuxry then go pay £200 and stay somewhere else!"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of December 2008

Probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in

Reviewed Fri 1st of February 2013

"Terrible doesn't even start to describe this hotel and my stay there. We were booked in to stay with work during the CIPD conference in Harrogate. I arrive after 10pm to check in and was given the keys to my room.
It was a single room that contained a single bed, a single free standing wardrobe and a dressing table. Where do I start to describle what was wrong with it. The walls were dirty, the wall paper peeling off. There was open pipe work on the walls. The bedding was dirty. The bedding consisted of a sheet and a air cell blanket, the type hospitals used about 30 years ago, one pillow and a counterpane. The pillow was dirty, as was the blanket and counterpane. The room was freezing.
I wanted to walk out there and then but as it was conference time, the chance of finding somewhere else in Harrogate at 10pm was slim, so I did what I could and went down to the front desk to complain.
Apparently in this hotel you have to ask to have the heat turned on in your room, though I have to say it never did come on for me.
I asked to be moved to another room that was at least clean to be told that there were no other rooms available, they had even had to give out the room the staff slept in! I guess I got to room the staff normally sleep in!
There was nothing to do until morning.
Breakfast was a disaster. One waited started to clear my plates away while I was still eating my cereal! He even tried to lift my coffee cup when it was still full! And the selection is poor, not to mention having to share tables with people you dont know.
As I was sadly staying two nights in this excuse for a hotel I packed up my bag and on my way out to the conference stopped at reception to say I would be leaving my key and that when I came back at 5:30pm I expected to be moved to a cleaner, bigger and warmer room and that I didnt expect to have to pay a penny for what I had had to endure the previous night.
On my return from the conference I had been moved to another room, which was cleaner, bigger and warmer. I had a letter waiting for me from the GM apologising for the previous night and saying as a good will gesture they would only charge me half price! What an insult.
The bath in this room was filthy. I was so looking forward to a hot soak after being on my feet all day but the amount of scum rings around the tub was enough to put me off that little pleasure.
I was say stay anywhere else rather than here. This hotel needs to be rubbed out and started again. Do yourself a big favour and stay at the Premier Travel Inn across the road."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of October 2008

No going back

Reviewed Wed 2nd of January 2013

"No warm welcome on arrival.Stayed 3 nights for a conference. The room was small with no bath only a wet roomand as for a view.......a brick wall! We were seated with other guests for breakfast giving a feeling of a school canteen. The one positve about this hotel is the parking."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of November 2007

not what you would expect

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"i booked the rooms through late rooms.com, as it was my first time in yorkshire/hrrogate i was exited about my stay there! The hotel looked like it was in private grounds on the photograph, however it was on the rad, adjacent to the stray.
A good point about the hotel was the car park at the back, from the front it was also a lovely building!
When we got to the room we thought it was ok, the bathroom was small but recently decorated and the bed seemed comfy.
The 'double bed' was in fact 2 singles pushed together, all the light switches were over the bed where the headboard should be, thus causing a fire risk when in bed! i also kept hiting my hands on the switches whilst in bed. The tv didnt work as well and the room was very shabbily decorated. We didnt complain as we were only there for 1 night but we would have complaind if we were there for longer!
close to bars/restaurants and the conference centre though!"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of October 2007

Adequate!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We booked this hotel through Airmiles and were very disappointed to find that we had been put in a pokey room at the back of the hotel. Why don't they give you the chance to upgrade? However, as it was only for one night we thought that it would be adequate, which it was. The bathroom had been renovated and was very modern and pleasing.

The room was a very odd shape which made it seem even smaller. One of the strip lights wasn't working which meant that the only light was from the small bedside table lamps. We did report it to the desk and they offered to send someone to fix it but we said 'No' as we were ony there for one night. They could do it when we were gone.

the girls on the reception desk were very friendly and helpful but the Bar staff were rather dour.

The breakfast was O.K. - again I would say adequate."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of September 2007

Hotels near White Hart Hotel & Apartments

Top traveller tips for White Hart Hotel & Apartments

• Jennyjoy by Jennyjoy

"Plenty of good hotels in Harrogate. Try the Travel Lodge- at least you'll get a good nights seep. "

White Hart Hotel & Apartments is also called