Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven

2081 reviews
Good

worst holiday ever

Reviewed 20th July 2016

"As we had always been surrounded by great food and entertainment for past 2 years when we got home we immediately booked again for this year. WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now last year we had been in what they called then a summerhouse, which was large,clean near the facilities which i had asked for being disabled. So this year we booked a summerhouse again and had a check-in of 2 pm, we finally got our caravan keys at 3.45pm (we later found out it was due to overstretched staff and not enough staff to cover), we got to the "summerhouse" it was tiny it was as far away from the facilities as it could have been, the caravan was on a slope now i use 2 sticks it was a nightmare and we had to park away from the caravan as we were right next to a maintenance storage facility. Now my partner, myself and my 12 yr old niece all tried using the bathroom WHAT A JOKE it was so small none of us could close the door and they are very skinny we decided this was unacceptable and even thought of driving the 6 hours home again. Then when we did check off of what should have been there many items were missing so we called reception and after 30 minutes the extra items were brought in by maintenance. Trying to make the best of it we headed down to the newly renovated brig house (formerly the mash and barrel) it looked amazing that night we just had some tea, but decided we would def return the next day after finding out what was on the carvery. We then went up to the entertainment and spent about 2 hrs there no longer as we had been up since 6 am and had made a 6 hr drive from Scotland. On Sunday we found through the owners staff that we could call reception tell them what had happened etc and if possible they would move us closer and i'm glad to say with no hassle at all Rachael did all that for us to within a 3 min walk for reg people slightly more for me but much closer to the facilities. So once we had moved we headed to the brig house for the Sunday carvery we ordered and took our place in line, when at the front you were asked for your receipt to prove you had ordered, which my partner did, however when he got to the meats on offer instead of the chicken we had been told the night before was on it was pork, so i ended up eating the roast beef which was passable, thinking this was maybe just an off chance we decided we would return at dinner. Now i ordered what i had had for 2 years previously which was the children's roast chicken dinner, when it arrived i started to eat then saw instead of roast chicken i had been given char-grilled chicken, when i asked about this to one of the waiting staff they said let me speak to the chef i will be right back, they never returned so i ate what else was on my plate and left the chicken. When the waiting staff returned to ask did we enjoy our meal and clear the table i replied no, explained what was the problem, he apologized for that he would speak to the chef immediately and come back to me once again no one returned. Now to anyone this is unacceptable when a diner asks for one thing and receives another then you go out of your way to find out a solution to the problem but no help from them what-so-ever. After yet another disappointing day at this park we decided to head on up to the entertainment what did we find AN ABSOLUTE SHAMBLES all that week shows were changed at last minute, or not even done at all, the 2 senior fun stars did all they could to keep everyone entertained but even they could not save this holiday from hell, there were two shows i wanted to see a new show called Carnaby W 1 and a favorite from last year called Signed Soul Delivered we arrived for both they weren't put on or even given reasons of why not til i found out (wont disclose who) that they were without there regular female vocalist that week and they didn't have a replacement. My partner and niece went up each night giving them the benefit of the doubt and only on one night did they deliver decent entertainment from guest vocalist called Hayley Russell she was amazing had a great rap ore with the kids and adults alike made the night very entertaining. I am sorry to say but there is NO WAY IN HELL you will get me back down here, no one knows what the hell they are doing and i know from some other people also that people were not enjoying the facilities either. I will be returning to haven again but to a park closer to my home and one which although we haven't been for years still looks amazing and is even bigger with more kids activities available. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT AND I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS PARK TO ANYONE."

• Travel date: 17th July 2016

Awful, dirty and Chavvy brilliant lol

Reviewed 27th July 2016

"Disgusting and dirty caravans considering we're in a more expensive one. The fact that it feels like you're going to blow away in the caravan and the fact that it rocks at night really is an off put to stay for your duration of your holiday. The fact that there is screaming drunks and their children walking round till 2am at night around caravan. The bed sheets were not clean, washing your laundry costs a fortune so I advise bringing enough clothes. The food is disgusting everywhere, including Burger King don't think you got lucky finding one you didn't, the staff at the fast food court are unbelievably slow you may as well go half an hour before considering food. There's also a constant beeping noise, guessing there's an alarm not properly functionally in the caravan that hasn't had a safety check since god knows when. Also if you're planning on pitching a tent out here I wouldn't you'll blown away. If you like filth and chavs and over expensive disgusting food and drinks then feel free! With the extra dose of appalling night life for those who want it, then come on in. If not and you want a decent family holiday or holiday in general PLEASE GO ELSEWHERE ! "

• Travel date: 15th July 2016

drunk drivers

Reviewed 26th May 2016

"We just returned from blue dolphin staff excellent work they socks off to keep kids happy camping field a bit wet but what do you expect (BRITISH WEATHER) all i can say its not the staff its the people who go to the pub on the night can't be bothered to walk then get in they cars pissed up with they kids in and drive back to they caravans its appalling. "

• Travel date: 3rd May 2016

We love the Blue Dolphin

Reviewed 2nd November 2015

"We have been coming twice a year for 4 years and have never had major problems. On a few occasions there have been minor issues such as blown light bulbs but these have always been resolved rapidly by the brilliant staff. If you have any problems all you do is contact the girls in reception who will resolve them. Many people have issues without giving management the opportunity to resolve them then they post scathing reviews. Not fair."

• Travel date: 29th October 2015

poor camp pitch

Reviewed 26th August 2015

"camping Lumpy unprepared soaked in the water from the rain sold as level can,t say i found any part that was level or flat ,resembles a plowed field that grass had been allowed to grow over , i thought going to haven would be a better bet than a local farmers field ......I was wrong Farmer Giles here we come next time you can take our money , and as for the club house etc yes it was there but as the place was FULL to over flowing we never saw a spare chair or table so there was no chance of using it unless you we going to stand all night "

• Travel date: 22nd August 2015

Camping

Reviewed 10th August 2015

"We had such a lovely time, yes the water could have been hotter but it was great my boy loved it. Thank you dolphin for a nice time, only negative is the activity staff need more treats or work related bonuses they seem not bothered no get up and go , kids love up beat staff this was not the case . Shame for the staff x "

• Travel date: 8th August 2015

bad holiday

Reviewed 23rd July 2015

"My husband, mum and myself went for a weeks holiday at the blue dolphin site the caravan that we had was smelly and had seen better days one of the single beds was so uncomfortable and it rocked from side to side we could not get the grill on the cooker to work when we got into the caravan one of the smoke alarms was bleeping so we reported it to reception they said they would send someone to sort it out no one came the whole time we were there my husband had to take it down and take the battery out of it also there was no frying pan so I had to fry bacon in a saucepan there was no TV remote when we went to the barrel and mash the food was rubbish and expensive the tables were sticky and dirty I would never go back there again . Last year we had a lovely holiday in primrose valley (sun holiday )we only paid half the price and had a better holiday I would not recommend blue dolphin site to anyone "

• Travel date: 23rd July 2015

thanks God it was only 2nights

Reviewed 16th September 2014

"Arrived 2pm on Saturday and we were an hour early for check in, so we headed to the Mash and Barrel for lunch as we had been driving for 3 hours. We paid £48 for my partners 8oz steak (a huge lump of grizzly fat) with some cold frozen peas. I had a 'steak and ale' pie, with raw carrots. I dread to think what the pie filling was, but the mash was good. My 2 and 3 year old boys had sausage and mash. A lady came and asked if our meal was ok which I replied actually no,,, to which she cut me off with 'okay 'and walked away. Disgusting. Even the coca cola tasted like greasy fizzy water. Great start i thought! We checked in and thankfully the caravan seemed ok. A bit of a foist smell but we could live with it I guess. We stocked up with food at the onsite spar as I was not planning to eat at the bar again. On Sunday we went swimming, the pool was the coldest ever. My 3 year old loved the slide though, unfortunately they would not let my 2 year old on so he was upset. Getting out and dressed was awful, the place needs heating!! We went for a drink after swimming and the carvery had just started. It did look great so putting the bar meal behind us we gave it a go, and it was beautiful. I am pleased to say after it costing £50 for a dinner and a drink each. I used the onsite laundrette to wash and dry our towels after swimming which was £8 at the laundrette. On Sunday night we went to the galaxy bar. My lord. Full of hooligan chavs with kids running wild. My 2 year old was attacked right in front of my eyes and the older boys parents were nowhere to be seen. My son was dancing about 2/3 metres from myself and my partner and a boy around 4years old approached him from nowhere and pushed him, my son pushed back and the boy just went crazy scratching his eyes, by the time i got to him and pulled him off my son(about 10seconds) my little one was bleeding all over his face, his for head and his eyes were scratched. I had to go to his Mother to explain what happened and showed her my sons face and I got 'ahh, sorry about that' The drinks in the bar were expensive, i got one vodka and it was £6.30. I must say though the Fun stars were great with the kids. They wandered around and talked to us. Monday morning came and thankfully with it, so did home time. We had a half hour in the soft play which my 3 year old said 'this isnt a very good one' We stay at caravan parks 4/5 times a year and we have stayed at 4 Haven Parks, this is one of the worst and can't see us using Blue Dolphin again."

• Travel date: 15th September 2014

Crap

Reviewed 17th September 2012

"We arrived on a Friday late afternoon to the first welcoming sight.....an old lady sat on her mobility scooter smoking a cigarette, whilst neatly balancing her Oxygen mask on top of her head. Lovely. We arrived at our luxury, non smoking caravan, close to the main complex. The caravan was filthy and had a deep seating smell of fresh cigar smoke, so much so our clothes smelt after we had sat down. We ambled around the complex for a while, again, it was filthy, over priced and crap. Nothing really worked, the carpets were sticky and it had an aroma of stale sweat. We thought the saving grace of the swimming pool might just shed a little ray of sunlight on the situation, but we were wrong, dirty changing rooms, and the tiles on the pool floor were so sharp that they left little cuts on your feet. We complained, and nothing, zip, zilch. Most of the remarkably unhelpful staff appeared to be from some sort of Drugs Rehabilitation program, or zombies, or both. Needless to say we left early, again we complained to the girl at reception, who could not and did not care less. We will not be back "

• Travel date: 17th September 2012

Live crabs in the Caravan!!!

Reviewed 13th September 2012

"Check in was great, had booked a prestige caravan. Looked nothing like it did on the website. The caravan was very basic looking, just paid for a bit of extra space really. It was an 8 berth and the dining table only seated 4!! I also found there were not enough pots and pans to cook for 8 people and ended up borrowing from my mams caravan! We had just finished unpacking when i screamed at the horror of finding what I thought was a bloomin tarrantula!!! Turned out to be a crab the size of a saucer. It scurried behind the couch, my brother lifted the couch up and we found 4 more, then some more under the other couch and one under the bed!!! 12 in total. We phoned management and they came with a hoover!!! After realising that would have been a little ridiculous, they removed them by hand. We had two 2 year olds with us and were not prepared to stay. Granted we were moved quite quickly but they were reluctant to move my mum (who had booked a seperate caravan close by as she has mobility problems) as she hadn't paid for a prestige and there were none available near our new caravan!! I would have thought the least they could do was upgrade her anyway! She was moved close by in the end anyway so turned out ok. With regards to the rest of the holiday, mmm, not too bad. The club had two entertainment bars, the one which looked most entertaining was always full...we didn't find any spare seats on any of the nights (we did go in July though) the other bar was easy to find seats but the entertainment was a bit rubbish. Our toddlers entertained themselves! The swimming pool was very overcrowded so we didn't stay inn long. The little ones loved the arcades and it was hard to tear them away. They also enjoyed the outdoor park, boats, soft play etc and we went for a few lovely walks along the coast. The drinks in the complex were very overpriced...I paid £11 for two glasses of rose wine!! The food in the Mash and Barrell was not good, the chips were hard and the rest of the food had been reheated so was a little stale! My brother ordered a breakfast sandwich that did not arrive...apparently the computer had crashed so they waited for people to return to see where their order was so they could reorder!!!! Errr, why not go around asking?? We spent most of our week having BBQ's, had the kids in our paddling pool, chilling around the caravan so we made our own fun. If your after plenty of entertainment from the complex, you may be a little disspointed!"

• Travel date: 13th September 2012

Amazing 2 night stay

Good
Reviewed 31st August 2012

"On my way home from Blue Dolphin today I was reading some of these reviews and I am shocked at what i was reading. We stayed for two nights arriving on Tuesday 12pm with my Fiencee best friend and daughter who is 2. We stayed in the overflow camp site and straight away was impressed with the service, we were given a warm welcome and given maps and details of activities etc. after setting up the tent the first thing we did was go to the pool which was great! my daughter had a fabulous time only complaints i have is the slides were too old for her (had a height restriction) and the toilet had a strong smell of urine and the door didn't lock. When we reported this problem staff were very friendly and helpful. That night we went to the entertainment over the 3 days we were there the entertainment was excellent for all the family my daughter thoroughly enjoyed herself and the funstars helped her with her confidence, from being weery of adults my daughter went to having confidence to talk to the funstars and other children! The funstars got the children and adults involved and were very friendly and helpful making our stay very enjoyable. The toilets on campsite although only portacabins were cleaned regurarly with hot water and locks on all doors!i will be going back next year and I recommend to all!"

• Travel date: 30th August 2012

what a rolercoaster camping trip

Reviewed 17th August 2012

"after fighting for over an hour with the wind to get the tent up went to have a look around the toilet was so worm and clean over are stay saw the lady in there cleaning several times . the showers was lovely and hot . . my friend had an accident in the show bar as the chair broke the staff made light off the situation and made us giggle and feel better , when we spoke to the manager he was so helpful and really listened to what we had to say , the lady in the office moved heaven and earth to make us settled and happy and also got a complementary 3 cores meal witch was the most amazing meal i ever had the male bar staff was so entertaining and funny they was a credit to haven there was only one grumpy one on the bar .the arcades was nice and clean all tho a few off the games didnt work . when checking out in the poring rain the word an came to help us put the tent down, the only thing i could com plane at is the flipping duck 6 times it attacked my tent and when i moved it on it came back and pooped on my tent , im going back to the blue dolphin in aug and cart wait "

• Travel date: 14th August 2012
  • ...

Hotels near Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven

Top traveller tips for Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven

• by shemma09

"we went to beamish open air muesuem fab day out"

• by Cynvin

"Go with an open mind and a determination to enjoiy yourself and you will."

• by Linda B

"avoid blue dolphin we had a horrible holiday "

• by nat_dyer

"get full use of entertainment facilities"

• by leanne87

"dont go . that a good tip"

• by FussyMum

"The views from the coastal path accessable from the park are brilliant on a sunny day."

• by Sallyj

"Look out for offers for local attractions theyre all about"

• by William

"Don´t waste your time if you are disabled or not ."

Blue Dolphin Holiday Park - Haven is also called