Cliftonville Hotel

Rundown

Reviewed 30th September 2016

"This is a very tired rundown hotel, needs updating asap, views are great but window ledges were dirty, room comfortable but very small, TV instinctual, toilets and so noisy when flushed they wake the whole floor. Al a cart menu was not available on my stay, and no lobster dishes , when I inquired why this was as it was still shown on the Web site no answer was available. We were left with a very unsatisfactory menu, saving grace was an excellent breakfast menu . Al in all ill not be staying at the Cliftonville Hotel in future. "

• Travel date: 28th September 2016

Overpriced for what was on offer

Reviewed 8th September 2015

"Location was good the room needed updating but views were good. The bathroom always smelt of raw sewage and was poorly designed. The bar man was not only miserable but could not even poor a gin and tonic properly. The breakfast was good but restaurant in evening was not good value. WiFi hit and miss. Think for price charged not good value for money."

• Travel date: 31st August 2015

I enquired about availability via the on...

Reviewed 18th April 2008

"I enquired about availability via the online enquiry form on the hotel website and got an email response within an hour. I then contacted the hotel to make our final reservation, and only the total of the first night was taken as a deposit rather than the full amount usually expected from other hotels, so I was pleased with that. We received a confirmation letter through the post within a couple of days detailing our booking and steps for checking in and out of the hotel, which I thought was handy. Upon arrival, we were blown away by the classic beauty of the hotel. It's situated right on the seafront and the views of the coastline really are spectacular! The features of the hotel have been retained to a very high standard and yet all of the up to date necessities are incorporated as well. There are two restaurants to choose from and a large, comfortable bar area as well as a real log fire! The welcome we received was one of the best we've experienced yet, with all of the information we needed provided clearly and succinctly. A welcome pack was also to be found in our room which helped to remind us of anything we might have forgotten. The staff were extremely friendly and very helpful, seeming to genuinely enjoy making us feel as comfortable as possible. Our room was lovely, large and overlooking the sea. I believe we were on the second floor. It was also clean and well presented which should come as standard but doesn't seem to these days, at least in a lot of places we've visited lately! We ate in Bolton's Bistro on our first night and the food was very tasty and cooked to perfection. Again, the staff were efficient and seemed to be permanently smiling! We had a full three course meal and didn't have long to wait between each course which made the meal that much better. I would highly recommend the Cliftonville Hotel to anyone, even my closest friends. It's probably one of the best places I've ever stayed and my partner agrees, although he probably would have preferred it to be in the middle of Spain rather than the not so sunny Cromer! But the weather is one thing this hotel has no control over and for that I'm sure they can be forgiven. Everything else was 100% perfect."

• Travel date: 18th April 2008

Enjoyed our stay

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Stayed at the Cliftonville for 4 nights mid March. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite (Room 34), not our honeymoon but chose it because of the view from the room, and paid £75 each per night for dinner bed and breakfast. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. The hotel is very old fashioned, not a problem for us, we like a bit of faded old style elegance, but modern it most definitely isn't. The staircase in the entry hall is very impressive and the main residents dining room is amazing - wood panelled walls and a minstrels gallery. Decor in the upstairs corridors is rather well worn and in need of a lick of paint and new carpet, but still very clean. Our room was on the top floor, which meant we had one flight of stairs to go up after getting out of the lift. Room was a good size with a huge wardrobe and bathroom, with fantastic views from the round window and seat in the turret. We could see all along the coast in both directions. Breakfasts were standard full English, with very good quality bacon and sausages. The first night of our stay we ate in the main dining room. There is also a Bistro onsite which is open to non residents. We were told that we could choose from the daily restaurant menu, which was included in our half board package, or we could order from the Bistro menu (all food is cooked in the same kitchen anyway) and pay any difference in cost. Because the hotel had only a few people staying, after our first night they asked us if we would eat in the Bistro, as it would be more pleasant than eating in a large empty dining room. What a good idea! Bertie's Bistro is very modern in decor and has a menu with eveything ranging from pasta, steaks, seafood and traditional english. It was nice to be able to eat in both restaurants and the food in both was very good. I had a superb fillet steak on one evening. There is also an all day coffee shop that does snacks etc . The only disappointment really was that the residents only lounge with a mural on the wall was in reality more like a large function room with no comfortable chairs, dining chairs all round the edge of the room, and absolutely freezing cold. There was no way that you would want to sit in there, which is a shame because I think that if the hotel was fully booked then the lounge areas in reception would not be big enough to cope with all the guests. We found that all the staff we encountered were consistently polite and helpful without being overly casual. Waiting staff in both restaurants were friendly and efficient, as were reception staff. We had a problem with the radiator is the room not getting hot enough (and with this March's freezing weather and gales we needed them) and when this was mentioned to reception they had someone up to bleed the radiators within 10 minutes, and also brought a portable heater to keep us cosy. We would stay at the Cliftonville again when we return to Cromer, but a sea view room would be essential."

• Travel date: 18th April 2008

Noisy and unpleasant

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Spent 2 nights in this hotel recently. First problem was the horrendous noise from the main road immediately below our bedroom window. It stopped around 1am and started up again at 4am - I heard it! Room quality is variable - my husband and I had a small room with a very small ensuite shower room - our daughters fared better with a decent sized room on the floor below. I cannot vouch for the food other than breakfast. This was OKish (not outstanding) but I was less than happy to be seated at a small table right next to the door into the kitchen on our 2nd morning. There were 2 tables in the window overlooking the sea (and road!) and I asked to be seated at one of these. Apparently one had been reserved (fair enough) but the other had already been used. The staff did not offer to re-lay this for us and I did not feel like causing a scene although I did complain at reception as we left the dining room. Interestingly the 'reserved' table was never used and I watched as the staff relaid it for dinner!! Needless to say I will not return to this hotel."

• Travel date: 14th August 2007

Superb honeymoon

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"E-mailed hotel to check on honeymoon suite availability and got a response within 1 hour, room then booked by phone. Everything about this hotel was fantastic as far as my wife & myself are concerned. The room (suite) was everything the website had promised and more, breathtaking views of the Cromer coastline from the bedroom windows, fabulous bathroom with shower and spa bath. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The food (both breakfast and dinner) was magnificent with extremely generous portions. A perfect honymoon."

• Travel date: 10th June 2007

Fantastic! the best!

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"We booked a short break as a surprise for my partner intending to stay for 2 nights but ended up there for the whole week !! What a joy. It is a classic Edwardian Hotel but has the atmosphere to bring it up to modern day. We spent hours people watching while enjoying lovely coffees and then a meal to die for in Boltons Bistro locally and freshly cooked crabs and lobsters being my favorite. We especially enjoyed walking on the seafront which we could view from our room. We choose an executive on the third floor wow!! If you want to treat someone its not cheep but worth it!"

• Travel date: 21st April 2007

Nice room, shame about the food

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"Stayed for 1 night during a short break in Norfolk during early February. Looks great on website, prides itself on Edwardian elegance and indeed, the welcome at the hotel etc is very good. The Hotel appears to be going through some refurbishment. We stayed in an 'executive' room on the top floor with a turret overlooking the sea. Room refurbished,if a little dated decor, but huge with a lovely window seat overlooking the sea. Comfortable bed and huge bathroom with a lovely jacuzzi bath but the worst shower I have had in a long time! The key positive at the Cliftonville has to be the staff. We ordered room service, which was prompt, we had some problems with the heating in our bedroom and this was dealt with quickly and efficiently. The food in the bistro, however, was where it all started going sadly wrong. My partner is very allergic to bell peppers, so we told the waiter this as we ordered. His deep fried brie came out on a salad of.... .....bell peppers. This was sent back! The next lot that came out looked great (no peppers). However, on cutting into the brie he spotted a huge piece of green mould in the crust of the breadcrumbs. At almost the same moment I removed a huge hair from my mouth that came courteousy of my mussels starter. It went from bad to worse. The main course came with a pepper garnish.............the potatoes and vegetables were old and flabby like they had been cooked for a couple of days and reheated. We were told that this was the first time that the chef had left the kitchen in the charge of his sous chefs. I would suggest he doesn't do this again until he has trained them to cook. Our meal spoiled what could have been a good experience. I certainly would not return."

• Travel date: 19th March 2007

Overpriced and tatty

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"POSITIVE - the food was excellent. the evening meal was a pleasure, the breakfast generous. The restaurant is a pleasant space with a Edwardian Gothic decor. NEGATIVE - the whole place needs a redecoration and some new furniture bought. The rooms I saw were too small. The plumbing needed seeing to and the shower stopped altogether on one of the hottest days of the summer! The hotel has a lift and a very narrow ramp access - and that is where any resemblance of disabled friendly stops. The toilets are very low and the cramped rooms are very difficult to negotiate if you have any mobility promlems. Most of the chairs in the hotel are low. I found some of the staff to be unfriendly and unhelpful. CONCLUSION - If you are looking for a holiday in a traditional English seaside hotel then this would fit the bill. However, It is overpriced and not at all suitable for anyone with mobility problems."

• Travel date: 27th July 2006

Definitey a hotel to avoid

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Suddenly needing somewhere to stay on the Norfolk coast we broke our rule of looking at Tripadvisor before booking. The web site looked promising – an Edwardian hotel with ‘Gone with the Wind’ staircase, all rooms with sea view. At £114 for double room and breakfast we thought it ought to be of a reasonable standard. We arrived at 7.30 pm on the hottest day on record after several diversions to avoid traffic hold-ups. What we had not realised from the photograph of the hotel was that the main Kings Lynn/Cromer road was a few feet from the front of the hotel – so close that when we parked on the ‘guest’s parking area’ at the front of the hotel the car bumper was half over the pavement. Our room (Number 20) was via a lift and up a short steep flight of stairs but no assistance with luggage was offered. The room, although fairly recently decorated, was very small and up in the eaves of the hotel. The only seating apart from the bed were two small wooden chairs at a small table in the window. There was a small musty ensuite shower/toilet but the wash basin was in the corner of the bedroom. We were now too tired to argue or look for somewhere else. We decided to eat in the Westcliff Dining Room – a beautiful room with minstrel gallery and stain-glass windows. We were looking forward to the local speciality of crabs but at 8pm there were none left (nor three other main courses on the menu even though only three other tables were in use) Our waitress did advise if we wanted them the next night we should order them at breakfast. The food was very good although slightly over-priced for what we had. The dining staff were all very pleasant but the ambiance was spoilt by the choice of music – more pop than classical. Bring an older hotel there were plenty of fire-doors which were constantly banged as people returned to their bedrooms. As the room was so small and with a low ceiling it was far too hot to sleep with the windows shut. We then discovered why the windows were double glazed – heavy traffic passed under the window continuously throughout the night. In addition there was thumping from the plumbing whenever the people next door used the bathroom. We often stay in hotels and rarely have any problem sleeping. We had booked for two nights but after virtually no sleep we decided to book out after breakfast. At breakfast the waitress made a mistake of asking did we sleep well. On being told no she asked why and replied that it is even worse in winter. The rooms are too hot and with the windows open you get the noise of the sea as well as the traffic.The receptionist could not have been more apologetic but there was no way we would ever stay there again."

• Travel date: 21st July 2006

atmosphere of shabby 1950's boarding house

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Gimcrack furniture, a really depressing run down feel. we had booked by phone for 2 nights and had paid a deposit by credit card (one night's rate) when we saw the room we did not stay but the owner insisted on keeping the deposit. I suspect they have had many such encounters with unhappy would be guests. Caveat emptor: this really is one to avoid!"

• Travel date: 10th July 2006

Relaxing

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"Enjoyed our overnight stay. The room was ok but the bathroom needed a lick of paint. Food was excellent, good choice, well cooked and presented and served nice and hot."

• Travel date: 1st April 2006

Hotels near The Cliftonville Hotel

Top traveller tips for The Cliftonville Hotel

• by Phill holiday

"Teach bar staff to smile"

The Cliftonville Hotel is also called