About Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel

• baggage storage
  • breakfast in the room
  • express check in check out
  • bottled water
  • bridal suite
  • spanish amenities
  • iron

Good

A decent hotel in an area with few

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"We booked via the Yell.co.uk website and had two rooms at about half the full rate- that was the first pleasant surprise. Check in was smooth and helpful, and our rooms in the Garden Lodge were Clean and well furnished if not lavish. The bathrooms likewise were perfectly adequate.

The grounds are lovely, and the bar is WS Gilbert's (of Gilbert & Sullivan fame) old library. The old building is a classic Victorian home with old wood panelling everywhere, and a charming atmosphere. Service was always helpful and prompt

I can't really understand oyther reviewers' complaints."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of March 2008

Lovely for a wedding, not good for anything else

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We stayed two nights for a wedding. The wedding side of things was lovely. We had great service, great food and the bride and groom were happy. Felt like the whole hotel was ours.
The dissapointment came with our individual part of the stay. We were in the lodge, the room was ok, a little jaded. Small things were annoying. We requested an iron which came black with a very exposed wire. We had to prize the plug out of the bath with a spoon to let the water out.
Our meal the first night was highly dissapointing. We were shoved in an alcove where it was left to us to move the table to get in and out. The place was full of christmas partys. Service was unattentive and food was unexceptional. Breakfast consisted of boiling plates and warm food which was the same for everyone, no choice.
This is an idealic location for a wedding which it seems is where the owners are placing there efforts. I do feel sorry for visitors not part of a party."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of January 2008

Nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home about either.

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"Stayed here on the night of a wedding held there at a reduced rate of £90. Not sure of usual price, but felt that £90 was enough to pay for the room. Clean, tidy and quite well presented with nice grounds, but not particulary different from anywhere else really- a generic wedding venue with accommodation. We stayed in the main building so not sure of the lodge (one of the party had their room broken into that night in the Lodge.) Breakfast was nothing special- again- generic. Nothng to complain about, but nothing to write home about either."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

Does not meed glossy brochure expecations.

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"We stayed here because of its proximity to Harrow; we saw their brochure before booking. While I don’t doubt that the other comments are valid, especially regarding the extensive grounds, I cant agree with the quality of the stay. Their brochure is glossy colour – the reality is more monochrome.

1.We paid £120 for a “Garden Suite” on a Saturday night. Their understanding of the word “suite” varies from mine. The so-called suite was just a large room with patio doors. As such I feel I was deceived.
2.The Jacuzzi bath was big enough for a dwarf.
3.The bed was rock hard.
4.There was only one bathrobe in this “suite”
5.The room was not ready at 2pm as we were told in writing it would be.
6.The restaurant was closed for a wedding, leaving pathetic bar snack sandwiches as an alternative.
7.Constant pestering was needed to get into the room, although they told us they would let us know when it was ready.
8.Room service was slow and the order taken inaccurately.
9.The reception is tucked away in a separate room and although the staff were courteous they were hardly friendly and smiles were rare.
10.Breakfast was served in the restaurant; there were several staff that didn’t seem to know their job.
11.We were shown to a table, which was not fully laid and had to reach across to the next table to get knives forks etc.
12.The next table was not replenished either.
13.They had run out of white bread.
14.They ran out of orange juice.
15.The restaurant manager only came in at the end of the meal, when the staff were in the corner chatting.

Overall, a disappointment; potentially a good hotel, run by amateurs!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2007

Not a big fan of dykes, but she weren't that grim.

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"This is a lovely hotel.....Especially if you are coming over from spain next week. I came over from Spain one week and met Tre and The Earl of Bradford when I stayed at this hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

This place is amazing, just a 5 minute d...

Reviewed Sun 17th of June 2007

"This place is amazing, just a 5 minute drive from busy harrow centre, you enter this quiet and serene oasis.
The hotel is stunning and the rooms are immaculate. Adjacent Gilberts restaurant is utterly fabulous, and the service is the best we've ever experienced, courteous, efficient and polite staff are everywhere from the moment you enter the place. An absolute must.

• Travel date: Sun 17th of June 2007

A paradise

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"The hotel is set in acres and acres of woodland, and you'd never know you're in a city. I couldn't resist wandering about in the woods for ages, until the light started to go. I didn't see another soul but I could hear some children playing. My room was in the annexe and it was lovely - £70 B&B through laterooms. I've paid that at Wembley's Travel Inn before and I know where I'd rather be! Dinner was okay - 2 courses for £15.95. I felt spoilt staying here."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

Good service and nice place

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"Stayed at this hotel for one evening. The room was very clean and although the decoration was not up to date, it was not bad for the price I paid. Also had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Dinner was very good, breakfast was also good. The service throughout was excellent and the staff were very friendly. Also the hotel is set in the middle of a forest so you do feel relaxed being there. Would go back."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of September 2006

Grim's Dyke -not so grim!

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"The hotel is in beautiful grounds and is an impressive building (the former country home of Gilbert of Gilbert and Sullivan fame).The room I stayed in was in the Lodge annexe. This was no more than adequate -the lodge is reasonalby recent, but the general accomoadation was little better than a new Travelodge. The restuarant (Gilbert's) was excellent - the chef is clearly very good and the food reasonably priced for such good food in such beautiful surroundings. A meal for two with wine and a tip came to £100. The room was £95.Would I stay there again?
Absolutely, but I'd ask for a room in the main building rather than in the lodge annexe."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of April 2004