Good Hotel, good location

Reviewed Sat 23rd of March 2013

"One of the best premier travel inns we have stayed in. This appears to be quite a new build. Everything was clean the room was spacious, with good facilities. We were very impressed with the standard of this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of June 2010

Usual no frills hotel

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Stayed for two nights in Southport and the only good deal I could get was with Premier Inn as there was a conference on.

Please note one of the nights was on the £29 deal, but the only way you are offered this is if you click the deal option – if you just enquire normally about a room this rate is not offered – a bit of a cheek I thought !!!

This is a normal no frills Premier Inn – quite modern – the only think I forgot is that there are no phones in the rooms and Internet is charged at £9 per day.

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the town centre and train station on a newly developed estate with plenty of restaurants and a cinema – its about a 5 minute walk to the beach, which must be nice in the summer and its quite at night not being near any main roads.

My only complaint was that I could not get the heating to work over 18 degrees – it was a cold night and the room was really cold – complained to the reception but nothing was done.

So, if you want a basic hotel this is as good as anywhere, but I would normally try and get a good deal in a better hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of November 2009

A big disappointment

Reviewed Thu 21st of March 2013

"After the good reviews from past residents, I thought I was onto a winner with this place. Staying with my husband and 3 children for two nights visiting relatives, we arrived at the hotel following a 7 hour drive in torrential rain from Dundee - 2 hours of which was spent in tail backs. The receptionist was rude and aloof - when my husband tried to make small talk with her she just ignored him.

The room was comfortable, but there were definite traces of the last occupants; hairs in the bath, dog-eared promotional literature etc. Having said that the beds were comfortable and all made up for us on our arrival, as well as a travel cot - and their were activity packs for the kids - which they enjoyed - including a bedtime story, which I thought was a nice touch.

Unfortunately our little ones were a little over excited - and a bed on the floor means only one thing to 3 and 5 year old boys - prompting a complaint from the floor below. They must have been quick off the mark though - we'd only been back from dinner for 10 mins!! The soundproofing didn't quite cut the mustard at 3am the following night either, when a rowdy group of lads returned from a night out.

There was also people blatantly people smoking in their rooms, as the corridor was in a fug - shame there were never any staff around to enforce the £100 fine.
Next time we will go to the Cambridge House Hotel - the rooms here don't cost a lot - but obviously not enough for a warm welcome."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of November 2009

Highly Recommended

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Stayed here twice & on both occasions it has been excellent. The staff are genuinely attentive & friendly,the rooms are clean & modern & the location on the edge of the town centre is great."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of October 2009

Typical Premier Inn good value, clean and value for money

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Steyed here for a night for my sisters wedding. They allowed us to checkin early as we had to get dressed for the wedding. The staff were fantastic, really kind, helpful and professional.
The room was fine - we stayed on the ground floor - it was quite with the only noises coming from the hailstones hammering on the window. The room was clean, basic but comfortable and for the price I would have no doubts about staying their again."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of September 2009

Pleasant Stay

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"I stayed with extended family at this hotel. All our rooms were of a good standard - no luxuries but everything you do need is done well.

Nice quiet night's sleep followed by a really excellent breakfast. I was surprised how nice the breakfast was! - lots of choice and good qquality cooked items.

Would definately stay again."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of June 2009

Good experience

Reviewed Fri 22nd of February 2013

"This was the first time I'd stayed in a PI, and was quite impressed. Good clean, new room, well kitted, and - apart from free WiFi not working at the time, (but they could charge me £3 for a 30 minute card...) - had everything I needed for a solo business traveler staying one night. The hotel benefitted from being next to a dining pub (for breakfast), and being probably less than 2 years old.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Total cost was £68 for room and £7 ish for breakfast, booked about 10 days in advance of stay.

Opposite is a leisure strip, comprising Frankie & Bennie, Chiquitos, Vue Cinema, and a bowling alley (I think). Free car parking outside the hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of March 2009

Excellent stays

Reviewed Mon 11th of February 2013

"Have stopped here on 2 occasions. Had a 4 night visit last year and 3 night last month.
Both stays have been excellent.

Hotel
Typical Premier Inn. You know what you're going to get - big bed, good rv and pub next door!
Since last year hotel has been extended. Stopped in a new room this time.
There are a number of restaurants right over the car park (frankie and benny, nando, a mexican, another italian...). There's also a cinema and bowling.

The service at the hotel is excellent. From the reception to the pub.

When on business in the area would always stop here."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of March 2009

great value and location with excellent staff

Reviewed Sun 27th of January 2013

"Just returned from a weekend break at Premier Inn Southport. We have stayed at a Premier Inn before and you will find they are all built to the same specification.
We were 2 families of 4 at £65 per night for 4 I think the value is unbelievable, some pretty poor looking B + B's were more expensive.
Throughout our stay the staff were exceptionally friendly, welcoming and professional. We were checked in quickly and on arrival the rooms were spotless and well equipped.
The rooms have 1 kingsize bed, a bed settee and a floor mattress, it didn't leave a massive amount of room but plenty for a short break. We really couldn't fault the hotel and would defintiely stay again.
As for location the hotel is located on a leisure park with cinema, ten pin bowling alley, and a range of chain restaurants.We were a little concerned that there might be a lot of noise from the sorrounding area but we slept all night with the window open for fresh air and went undisturbed .
During our stay we ate at the attached Brewers Fayre which has a small kids play area indoors and was again really good value at 2 adult meals for £9.00 on the Friday evening . We also ate one night a Frankie and Bennie's which is directly opposite and made use of the Bowling Alley.
The leisure park is conveniently located for the resorts attractions it is on the main sea front area and the back overlooks the park with a pitch and putt, crazy golf, boating lake and railway. We had a full day in the park and the kids loved it.
You can also get onto the pier direct from the leisure park, the pier has an exhibition centre at it's far end with old penny arcade games and a history of the local area, worth a visit for those who like nostalgia.

Southport is a bit of a mixed bag, it has some really smart shopping areas and a much bigger centre than we expected. The leisure park and areas around it are very new and there is quite a lot of building work which makes it look like the resort is trying to update itself but there were also some really run down areas. The fair in particular is pretty poor it looks like the original fair closed down and a travelling fair decided to move into the site, the original buildings are only partially occupied so what used to be the food court is now a semi-derelict store area. It was also pretty expensive at £2.00 a ride for even the most ramshackle of children's merry-go-rounds and £3.00 per person( not car) for the dodgems. It looks like there used to be a zoo adjacent to the fair but that is shut down.

Just beyond the fair is a leisure centre with water flumes , we didn't use it but it looked like it was pretty big.

All in all a great weekend break and if the resort continues to develop those areas that are rundown it will be a smart British holiday destination with plenty to do and lots to offer"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of August 2008

All absolutely fine

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2013

"I arrived to check in at about 4pm, and this was done quickly and easily. I then went off to work, and when I got back at about 9pm, could only find a car parking space at the furthest reach of the car park. The restauarnts nearby weren't busy, so the cinema opposite must have been absolutely packed.

The room was fine, clean, warm and comfortable. It smelt (very) faintly of smoke. I was only given two small towels. Outside (the car park) was noisy at about 11.30pm.

The shower water pressure was very low, and breakfast was pretty good.

All in all good value for money, but could have been better by providing bigger towels, better water pressure in the shower, and venting the smoke properly."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

Surprising

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2013

"Surprised but perhaps I shouldn't be. Had a three night stay with the family in one of the family rooms. Great value for money, excellent location and easy to find. Staff very pleasant and appeared to be really efficient. The hotel is located adjacent to the sea (not that you have a view!) with a number of chain restaurants, fast food outlets, a Vue cinema and a bowling complex directly opposite. The hotel is within walking distance of both pier and town centre. Hotel is a standard Premier Inn, albeit quite a new modern looking establishment. Clean throughout offering basic facilities (tea maker, hairdryer, shower gel etc). Attached to a Brewers Fayre (not well regarded locally). Only one niggle prevented 4 stars - the extra beds in the family room consisted of a sofa-bed and a mattress on the floor, the latter being v uncomfortable."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of June 2008

Recommend!

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2013

"Stayed here on Wednesday evening, as was attending a funeral on Thursday in Southport.
Arrived about 4pm and had a very friendly lady check us in so a great start, went up to the room and was pleasantly surprised, the place was spotlessly clean, I don;t think the hotel is too old so everything looks pretty new and is well looked after.
The bed was great, a kingsize with lovely white duvet etc, had a great nights sleep.
There is a Brewers Fayre attached to the hotel, we had dinner here - it was good value and lovely pub food. The hotel is situated in a new complex, so also in the complex is a Frankie & Bennys, a cinema, bowling, Chiquitos and a pizza place so lots to choose from.
We didn;t have breakfast the next morning as we had to leave early but saw it advertsied, looked like the full monty!
Southport is a lovely town, a real seaside town, lots of great shops highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Fri 1st of February 2008