Breakfast Dining Area

Good
Good

wonderfull people and hotel

Reviewed 22nd January 2013

"I recently stayed at this fabulous family run hotel,and i can only say that this is the best hotel i have ever stayed in. the owners Jim & Collette are great and nothing is 2 much trouble. Collette evened ironed my partners shirt for him when he asked if he could borrow the iron. They have very good sense of humours and bounce of each other witch is very welcoming. The hotel is VERY clean and the rooms are really nice. Jim seems to be the cook and i must say this is the best full english i have had and also not small. overall this was a great weekend and we would definatley go and stay there again. thanks you so much for a great stay. Tricia & Paul"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2008

rude and unpleasent owner

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Hotel owner Jim obviously thinks he is a comedien, but unfortunatley I personally found him an extremely rude and unpleasant man. When asking for decaffeinated coffee with my breakfast, his response was P**S OFF !!! This was a joke I believe on his part, but this individual does not know me. I had stayed only one night, and this was my first impression of this man. It was almost like he was doing us all a favour cooking our breakfast and found it to be an inconvenience. maybe he expects £65 per night just for the pleasure of sleeping in his rather average B&B. Therefore I will not not be subjecting myself to this level of abuse again when visiting southport in the future."

• Travel date: 24th June 2008

Perfect !

Reviewed 7th January 2013

"Thanks for a nice weekend ! Really nice place. Owners are great !!! Best breakfast See you in June Jason and Kate"

• Travel date: 28th January 2008

Go on a diet if you want to use their ensuite!

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"We stayed overnight at Villa Clifton last week-end. My first impression was not positive, because the hotel entrance was blocked by parked cars and the truck. There are many B&B on the street there as well. We had to make an effort to maneuvre in order to get to the entrance. Next morning we were asked to move our car so that other visitors could leave. Btw, the check-out time was 10am. Then, the actual room was really tiny with a small double bed. And this is not the place to stay for the view. The ensuite does not fit with any basic ergonomics- I was glad I was size 12, because I would not be able to get to the loo otherwise. I am not joking. We liked the breakfast - it was big and tasty. People were friendly, sure. I read some comments about modern interior - I can confirm that it's not it, the interior is quiet outdated and I think that owners have a bad taste. Okay, it is clean, fair enough. But I always expect places I stay to be clean, it's not too much to ask, is it? Alltogether, I think it's a rip-off to pay 60GBP for a tiny room like this. There are a lot of other places to stay in the same location."

• Travel date: 31st July 2007

Home From Home !

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"I came to southport for the first time for my best freinds wedding and what a great town it is, we had so many good meals around the town and we found a really good cocktail bar were we went to most nights. Hotel was great and the woman there (sorry cant remember your name x) was really good fun and even had a drink with us B4 we went out. Breakfast was TOP !! and was fussed no end each morning. thanks so much for making are time in southport a holiday to remember ! love Kate . Ian , clair , mike !"

• Travel date: 16th October 2006

PERFECT !

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Just got back from a 5 day stay with my wife and 6 year old son. what a great find this hotel is after us comming to southport for the last few years !. Hotel was very clean and people who ran it were really down to earth people who took the time out to make are stay a great one !. thanks so much to every one at the hotel ! see you next April Ian + lisa + david"

• Travel date: 16th October 2006

dont stay here

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I just stayed at the Clifton Villa in Bath Street Southport on the occasion of my partner's birthday treat. Dates were Sept 22/23. I enquired with proprietress Colette before booking that my main criteria of dates and doubleroom/bed were met, which she said could be. I was also told the rate would be £27.50 per night per person. (£110 total) I was asked to call a few days previously to confirm all details, which I did as requested. On arrival Colette showed us to our room which had twin beds. When I commented she took us to a better room (her words) that had been allocated to another couple who hadnt arrived ye and which also contained single beds. I expressed my displeasure but not wanting to spoil the occasion I didnt make too much of a fuss. On enqiring we were then told our breakfast time was 9 o clock and yet people were still coming down after 9:30. We felt like we had been "allocated" a time to suit. After our stay I came to pay our bill which should have been £110 but manager Jim said it was £120. I pointed out we had been quoted £27.50 pppn ie £110 but he said, I took your booking and also it's firework cometition weekend and so everyone has paid £30 pppn. I pointed out that I had never spoken to him on the phone, only his wife. Again, not wanting to cause a scene and spoil my partner's weekend I reluctanly paid him and said I wasnt going to get into a petty arguement over £10. Overall his attitute was one of surliness over the weekend, with trips to the kitchen at breakfast time on the Saurday morning seeingly to continue an arguement with his wife. I would certainly NOT stay there again. I requested by e mail a refund of £10 to be sent back which doesnt even go part way to resolving my unhappiness with our stay. This was ignored. Verdict. Find somewhere else to stay and get confirmation of details in writing"

• Travel date: 1st October 2006

Confirmed, but lets your room go...

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"After reading previous reviews on tripadvisor and from both Southport travel office and relative reccommendation, we made our reservations for two rooms, two nights stay in September 2006. Out of courtesy, we telephoned the hotel twice to re-confirm our details again two days before arrival. They were very helpful on each occasion and said they looked forward to welcoming us after our long drive. Despite letting the hotel know again that we wouldn't be arriving until circ 9pm when we telephoned for the second time, after travelling over 300 miles from South East England, the hotel let both our rooms go for both nights and took no responsibility saying the excuse that they were let down by previous guests the weekend before so didn't know if we were turning up. Despite telling us our details were in their books as "confirmed" it makes no difference to their systems and they'll take advantage of an easy booking and cash in hand over anything you request. After a long telephone conversation at the espense of my mobile phone travelling up the M1, without anywhere to say we listened to the escuses of the owner and his wife blaming of how some people let them down so it costs them etc etc; however it doesn't help the honest people of the world who go over and above their requirements to check their bookings on several occasions. My personal advice is to stay at the Premier Travel Inn just down the road where you couldn't get more of a helpful and friendlier service from the staff. Even though they didn't have availability themselves for the Southport branch, their reservations staff called all their other braches in the area for us which and found us rooms just before we finihed our 5 hour drive. Thank you again to them for all their efforts. Should you wish to chance this hotel, you may wish to get something in writing from them before you set off , though this may not help any case (or at least have the Premier Travel Inn's number saved in your mobile too). The risk is yours..."

• Travel date: 1st September 2006

what a smashing little hotel this is !

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"we came to stay at the clifton villa hotel in june for a well deserved weekend break with my wife.. slight problem when we checked in but that was are fault as we got the dates wrong. rooms were everything you could ask for ! very very clean and all so quite modern as well. You could tell that the owners had put a lot back in to the hotel over the years which showed in every way ! owners were great ! and did everythign possible to make are stay a break to remeber. You sometimes worry when you book in to these smaller hotels as you think they wont be that nice but the clifton villa was excellent in every way. So good we have booked for Jan. you wont be dissapointed !"

• Travel date: 2nd July 2006

everything you could ask for and more

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"went to southport 5 weeks a go for my sisters wedding, what a loverly little town it is !!. we stayed at the clifton villa hotel rooms were very modern and the owners were great !! such down to earth people. 100% recomend ! see you next year ! kate+ jeff"

• Travel date: 28th June 2006