What a refurb!!!

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"This place is obviously under new management! The refurbishment job that these guys have done is excellent, and i hear they will be finished adding an extra dozen rooms in the new year. The place is clean and modern with a fantastic atmosphere. For such a low price they offer all sorts of extra services that i would never have expected: wireless internet, free secure car parking and they even gave my clients a free room upgrade. An excellently priced hotel, ideal for business stop-overs."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of December 2005

this hotel is on the up

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"stayed here for one night and found the hotel staff very friendly. good new bar under hotel and room clean and at a very good price.decent breakfast. judging by earlier comments this hotel has improved dramatically, following recent renovation.will definitely stay again."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of December 2005

Dreadful Place

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"I was booked into this hotel after we were told it had been refurbished. It was obviously being cleaned up but was not clean! Obviously they dont expect people to stay for more than one night. It was more basic than camping. On the plus side the staff were friendly and helpful."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of November 2005

The worst hotel I ever stayed in

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I booked into this hotel for three nights but had to leave after two... I couldn't stick it any longer. The rooms were dirty, damp and smelly. The furniture was old and basic. This hotel has nothing going for it whatsoever. The person who rated this as Excellent is either the owner or normally resides in a sewer. I would sleep in the street before I would stay at this dump again."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of November 2005

Very noisy!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Just come back from a 1 night stay at the Lord Nelson Hotel and found the staff very friendly. We stayed on the 1st floor but didn't get much sleep as it was very noisy all night with people coming back in banging on doors or from people downstairs in the bar area. Rooms have creaky floorboards and are very basic. It was ok for 1 night but couldn't stay there any longer."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of April 2005

interesting but noisy

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"i recently came back from a stay at the hotel, we found the place had some problems. the floors are very creaky so it is not easy to sleep when you can hear every little thing, we kept getting woken up by people banging on doors etc my friends even had someone walk in to their room in the middle of the night, to be fair they hadnt locked it properly but still! apart from that thought i would say a good place, the reception staff and bar staff were on the whole very friendly, it is a 24hr residential bar which was great for me and my friends but maybe not suitable for families, played good music and even took requests! not sure i'd stay again but it was definitely interesting!"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of April 2005

a Dump.

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I booked this hotel over the phone, and didnt know what a dismal place it was till I got there. As soon as I saw my room, I went back downstairs and demanded a refund ( I got back all but £10). The place is falling down, with antiquated plumbing in the cracked bathroom, holes in the walls, and ancient furniture and fittings. I stay a lot in Liverpool, but this was far and away the worst hotel I have seen. Anywhere. Do yourself a favour and choose another hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of September 2004

Not as bad as I expected

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"The ferry to the Isle of Man was substantially delayed and I was stranded in Liverpool late on Saturday night. They had a room. It was cheap, cheerful and perfectly acceptable for the price.

Good location to make the most of the delay and go for a nught out in Liverpool."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of March 2004

Family nightmare

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We arrived on a Friday night and left exhausted on Sunday Morning. We had been booked into a room for 3 instead of a room for 4 and had to spend our first night in twin rooms. But on Saturday we were moved to a room for 4 which happened to be above the bar which had a karaoke evening until 1am . Needless to say we had little sleep, and were awakened by a door alarm at 7 am. Our children might as well have come to the pub with us. The receptionist said that they never get complaints about the bar noise, but all the night and Sunday morning staff said they get complaints like ours all the time. We got a refund for one night , but only after insisting we spoke to a manager. All this and the hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of March 2004