Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport

Good

GET REAL.

Reviewed Fri 11th of November 2016

" We know this hotel used to be a luxury ,so was the whole of Southport, but those days and the clientele are gone now,so let`s get real. First of all, a lot (if not most) of reviews about this hotel are YEARS out of date ,we are in 2016 and should know by now that we get what we pay for,this is a 3***/budget hotel as advertised. I have just had a mini break there and the experience was great .There is Wi-Fi/good decent food/entertainment in the lounge every evening/friendly staff/etc;etc:
The hotel is a tired old lady,but has been ,and is under refurbishment,she is getting her second wind ! Some of the rooms are basic.....Lots are not,just ask.
Give it ago and just expect 3 star service, breakfast is serveed yourself ,as much as you can eat,it`s really tasty and hot,there is even REAL porridge.
The bar has a good choice of beers, wines and spirits."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of October 2016

Week end stay

Reviewed Tue 2nd of September 2014

"Friday night food awful the salmon was still whole and full of bones only ham on carvery all other main meals were in container size portion which I thought were sauces. Chilli Carne , Liver. mixed bean casserole,[email protected] chicken also rice was in a small container. I chose the over cooked liver asked 3 times to replenish empty rice container. As for veg it was cabbage or sweetcorn. dessert was no better a very grey looking rice pudding which looked more like sago very dry chocolate sponge so I chose Lemon Meringue tart had to leave it after one bite could not taste the lemon and full of lumps of sugar . I come from a family of chefs and know about tricks of the trade every trick in the book was used up on this visit. you maybe on a tight shoe string in the catering department but this time it was the elastic band that broke. The only improvement on Saturday was more veg on offer but the leek and potato bake was over cooked potatoes gone to mush . we were in an executive suite the bathroom floor was filthy.

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2014

back to the 19th century

Reviewed Mon 21st of July 2014

"Don’t go there if you are younger than 85. It is back to the 19th century. No WI-FI, no telephone, back to basics. The worst hotel in more than 30 years.

I regularly stayed in this hotel 25 years ago on business trips. Then it was one of the best hotels in town. Therefore we decided to book this hotel again for our trip to the British Open Golf Tournament. How wrong you can be……………..
Unfortunately things have changed dramatically during this period of 25 years. A summary:
- During check in one lady was helping a customer with some inquiries. Another lady in the reception area didn’t even look at us. Apparently it wasn’t her job to look after customers. We had to wait more than 5 minutes. It was just the beginning.
- The lobby was filled with old pensioners. Average age: well above 80.
- In 1995 the carpets and paint on the wall looked already a bit outdated. I don’t think that they redecorate since then and it shows. Holes in the carpets, worn paint, creaking floors. And it smelled as if it had not been cleaned for quite a while. Dust and dirt was hanging on the ceiling of the breakfast area. Sometimes it dropped down on a plate.
- Outside a disco was playing loud, but he window in the bathroom could not be closed because of a rotten window frame.
- The lift was broken as indicated by a scrappy paper on the door. Guests had to use the very small lift for the Staff in a very cramped area. I wonder if this would have been approved by the Health and Safety Officials. When a coach arrived with new guests (average age well over 80) more than 10 people were waiting in front of this lift to go upstairs with their luggage and wheelchairs. I only can say that I admire the patience of these people.
- The room was very, very basic. When you moved in the bed the headboard of the bed moved against the wall. We/ had to put a towel between the bed and the wall to prevent creaking.
- The TV was the same as 25 years ago as well. Small, old-fashioned picture tube, square, no teletext, no news. They never have heard of flat screen I suppose.
- It wasn’t possible to call a friend in the UK from the room! When I asked the lady at reception she told me that the telephone only can be used to call her or to call other rooms. It told her that this is 21st century not the 19th. “Company Policy, Sir…………………” So I had to use my mobile phone. Much more expensive, because I am a foreigner.
- No WI-FI in the room. Again to the lady at reception. A different one this time. “I am sorry sir, there is no Wi-FI in the rooms, Company Policy, sir. But you can use the WI-Fi in the lobby”. It didn’t work, so back to the lady. “I will check and come back to you in 15 minutes”. After 30 minutes I decided to ask her about the situation. “We are very sorry sir, but the WI-FI is broken. We have send for an engineer, but it can take 2 days or more, we don’t know”. Then it appeared that there was one area at the end of a corridor sitting on a chaise lounge from the 19th century (how appropriate……….) where we had some reception. This was very, very, very slow. So hardly usable.
- Breakfast: a very small buffet area and very little choice. On the first day they run out of toast, eggs, juices etc regularly. The old pensioners patiently waited in the cue. The breakfast area was packed and the staff could not cope. The second day the area was almost empty and still no fruit or toast. Why would you open a new tin of fruit (yes, it was from a tin) or prepare toast for a couple of guests? We asked 2 staff members, but it took more than 10 minutes to fill up some of the supplies. The 3rd and 4th day we just coped. The dirty ceiling is already mentioned.
My wife called it Faulty Towers, but I disagreed. Faulty Towers was good for a laugh, the Prince of Wales isn’t at all.

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2014

awful

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We were forced to stay at this hotel as the function we were attending was being hosted here. Having read the reviews we were not expecting much. We paid a little extra hoping that an executive room would be better. Next time I will think twice. The room was drab with old fashioned bedding. The shower head was filthy and the window frames were all peeling. The shower was falling apart. I rang reception to ask why the room was an executive one. It had a slightly bigger bed. She said she could not upgrade us as the hotel was full. There was a bottle of wine and a basket of fruit. The next morning there was a huge queue for breakfast . There were two staff on. Many tables not cleared in time. The breakfast itself was nice. I am still waiting for the hotel to contact us. The manager agreed that the room was shabby and not worthy of its executive title."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of July 2007

No complaints , good location

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"my wife and I recently stayed at the hotel and found it to be good value with an excellent location close to all the local attractions. Granted the hotel was a little worn in places but this must be expected for its age and it did not deter us from having a good trip. The staff were helpful but the reception could do with being larger to reduce crowding at peak times. The room was a little on the small side and could do with a little updating. Overall for the price I found it to be good value."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of June 2007

Dreadfull

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"terrible place, had a room on the 4th floor and the noise from the lifts was so loud we could not sleep. checked out before breakfast the next morning
looked like it was good once, but not any more."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of May 2007

No complaints

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"My husband and I have stayed at the Prince of Wales Hotel twice now. Our room was lovely and clean, we always ask for a luxury jacuzzi room, these are not priced any different from other rooms. They are spotless. There was a good variety at breakfast, and all staff were friendly and helpfull. I have no complaints at all about this hotel. We intend staying there next time we vist Southport."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of April 2007

dont believe info on hotel

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"just returned from weekend in Southport which is a lovely place to visit but let down by hotel -Prince of Wales, looked good on photos so thought we would treat ourselves. On arrival we were asked to pay upfront which was ok but we were not giving an option to keep card open, newspapers not offered and no information on mealtimes given until asked. Room was clean, very small but it and hotel needs a massive upgrade particularly the bar. Service was poor at mealtimes especially breakfast. We went out for a late Easter Sun lunch so requested room service at 9.30pm to be told we couldnt have anything till night shift came on at 10.30pm as catering staff had left early as they werent busy in the dining room! On discussion with duty manager food arrived at 10.00pm, poor quality sandwiches.
Despite this we enjoyed Southport itself, great shops and coffee places and one of the best restaurants i have been to The Cloisters which is up a side alley by Barclays bank but word of warning it is so busy you need to book."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of April 2007

Truly Terrible

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"I stayed at this hotel as my friend was getting married on the same weekend as the Southport flower show and it was hard to find a room anywhere. Staying here was a horrible experience. The hotel was dark and damp, the sheets were dirty and ripped and the bathroom was mouldy. The only saving grace was the breakfast and friendly staff. The building is beautiful and very historical and some of the function rooms looked lovely but it needs a lot of work."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of January 2007

Wouldnt stay again!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"We booked an executive double room at this hotel and to be honest we've stayed at better premier lodges in a basic room. It was outdated, dirty and the bed had seen better days, there was damp on the walls and the wallpaper was peeling off. We had to cue for nearly two hours to book in and there were not enough parking spaces. It was very noisy at night with shouting and banging going on inside the hotel until 4am. Staff inefficient and unhelpful. Breakfast was nasty. Staying at this hotel spoilt our weekend, it needs shuting down for a year for a full revamp."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of December 2006

Buyer beware

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I have stayed at the Prince of Wales on numerous occasions over the past two years. However I have only stayed there when I have got a deal from late rooms or Britannia Hotels own website. I would not dream in a million years of paying what they describe as their normal rate. I write this review now only because I saw on late rooms that they were asking £140 per room this weekend. Anyone who paid that price would be bitterly disappointed. The hotel has had charm in the past and some of it still remains. However the hotel needs massive investment to bring it up to scratch. I have been assigned rooms which I have simply refused to take and perhaps because the reception staff have recognised me as a fairly regular customer I have always been ended up in a room that I was happy with. Do not even think about having dinner in the hotel - even though it is very reasonably priced. Breafasts have improved over the year both in presentation and in the management of the dining room. I have however seen it in total chaos when they couldn't cope and it was horrendous - week-ends are obviously worse than other times. The basement rooms are nicely appointed and if you are only staying a night it perhaps doesn't matter if there is little natural light. This hotel ,all over, has seen better days and it is only worth considering if you pay around £50 mark - more than that it simply is not worth. Also the bar is dingy and depressing. The staff vary from the bright, intelligent and caring to the dull and unhelpful - pretty much like anywhere else. However if you don't like what you get complain. Be firm, polite, but insistent."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of October 2006

Appauling Hotel, Appauling staff

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"I have recently stayed at this hotel following a function. The rooms were old, small, damp, dirty, ripped sheets, and is need of desperate repair and updating.
Staff at reception are just infuriating, I got the impression that they enjoy going out of their way not to help. I asked to book into a room prior to 2pm, and was afforded no leeway at all. But was amazed to hear that when I arrived, numerous people had already booked in prior to our arrival. I asked some polite simple questions, but was given rude, 'Im too busy' replies.
The furniture and decor in the hotel is very outdated, and worn, but the bar staff were reasonable.
Breakfast was poor, a mixture of scalding and cold food, and again, staff not interested in helping. All in all a very poor experience, and for the price they charge for a double room and breakfast, is bordering on theft.
DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL, IT IS APPAULING."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of September 2006

Hotels near Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport

Top traveller tips for Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport

• Bill T. by Bill T.

"In the evening,get an alcoholic drink or a cuppa,and sit in the Lounge,watch t.v. or wait for the entertainment,8.30pm ish. Chill out. There is no Disco. "

• Anne C by Anne C

"better catering also refurbishment to the building "

Britannia Prince of Wales - Southport is also called