The Adelphi Hotel & Spa

Good
2037

Disappinting in many ways

Reviewed 26th August 2018

"Stayed at the Adelphi for 4 nights with a friend a couple of weeks ago, all was fine when coming in as main area and rooms were as they once had been, lifts were sluggish though and no one to take our luggage up or down from rooms. Bed in my room was in an alcove with no bedside tables which I asked a couple of house keeping staff to do something about which they did by moving bed and providing a table quite quickly after asking! The fire door behind main door to my room smelt a bit smoky as did the corridor outside... The bed area had a smell which I couldn't quite identify but the bed was comfortable and clean also the towels were clean.... Bath panel was torn and both taps leaked the hot one on bath almost unscrewed but I was able to fix this... the hot taps were fixed quickly after I mentioned it! But water was very hot and made more difficult but the shower head being fixed to wall making it difficult not to get wet hair,, in fact I hopped out of the bath to alter taps and then got back in again... lino in bathroom had seen better days as had the furniture and carpet... the old window was fixed open luckily it was warm and the double glazing was hard to move. My friend could not open any of her windows and there was bird droppings in between the two... mine were dirty. The tea/coffee in room and in buffet were not a good quality and there was only 3 types of wine red/white/rose luckily we like Pino Grigio so that was ok for us. The main bar area which was open to the public smelt very strongly of alcohol. The rooms were facing a quadrangle which was nice and quite so at least we could sleep well... although we had a good time in Liverpool and would defo want to come back we would like to see this Hotel restored to its former glory, the rooms were cheap but it would be worth paying more for something much better... staff were helpful at all times.."

• Travel date: 1st August 2018

5 days at the Adelphi

Reviewed 24th April 2018

"Stayed at the Adelphi and put my case on top of the wardrobe. Went to take it down the next day and the bottoms of the case was covered in dust! Reported it to reception when requesting more hangers, two of us had just four. He was shocked at the dirt and said he would deal with it. He didn't. Had to ask two ladies who came to make the beds etc. In the dining room I asked for some vinegar and was astounded to be told that there was no vinegar in the hotel!!!! Down and out was found laying on a settee in the lounge, he had taken his shoes off and put a newspaper down for his feet to go on, very thoughtful of him, but looked like he had slept there the night. While in the lounge one evening a man came in with a cup and was asking an elderly lady for £10. It was another guest who came to her rescue and told him to get out - very loudly, no staff came!! Come on Adelphi you can do better than this!!! "

• Travel date: 4th June 2017

I still feel sick when I think about it.

Reviewed 12th January 2017

"As with , others,we found the room dirty, smelly and shabby. I got into bed and after a few minutes felt dampness. The sheet showed a damp patch - the sheet had been clean and smooth when I got in. Pulled the sheet back and the mattress was soaked with urine. Unbelievably the bed had been freshly made on top of this. No need to say anything else."

• Travel date: 12th January 2017

Tatty shabby hotel

Reviewed 8th November 2016

"The first room was no347 and it was an upgrade from a standard room Omg , mouldy bathroom with a mustard coloured room and tatty gold tarnished taps ... Filth round the skirting boards on the floor , the room had a miss match of tatty furniture which was falling to bits , wood panels and flowery 70,s wallpaper on walls which was hanging off , complained and got another room no 147 ... An improvement but still in need of a revamp. As soon as you are in the beautiful building you can actually see how tatty the place is . Thread stained carpets , filthy chipped woodwork , scratched and scrapped doors .. I shall always book a hotel chain from now on at least you know what to expect ..An expensive lesson learned ...only plus this hotel has us its location "

• Travel date: 11th October 2016

Our Stay at the Adelphi...!!!!

Reviewed 16th June 2016

"The worst stay at a hotel we have ever had, the rooms we booked were tatty, the bathroom is one star!!! the noise from the street kept us awake all night.. so spending £280 for two rooms for one night I felt more than short changed, I took my displeasure up with the duty manager who was uninterested and unwilling to take my complaint and offer any form of compensation, not even an apology, he simply said you should of had the windows shut, well even shut and with the supposedly secondary glazing did nothing to dull the noise outside. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who has enjoyed a four star even a three star actually a two star would of put this hotel to shame, as for breakfast, it was a cattle market ... so so disappointing, beware before you book!!!!"

• Travel date: 13th June 2016

Ignorant staff and awful food

Reviewed 17th December 2015

"I recently attended an event for Blind and Partially sighted people at the Adelphi hotel, it was our Christmas meal, I am blind, and was asked by a member of staff, whom I wasn't aware of their presence to begin with, to 'move my phone' so she could rudely place down a bowl of barely warm soup, without care she walked away with me not realizing I had a bread roll next to me either. Next, as it was supposedly 'Silver service', I waited for my dinner to be plated up, I was given the turkey, but they didn't tell me what was just placed on my plate, so unknown to me I was sat there with a half empty plate for 5 or 10 minutes before another member of our party alerted the staff to me not having anything else on my plate, they took my plate away and then added stuff, but still didn't announce when they had arrived back at the table or that they'd added food to my plate. Overall, I am greatly disappointed with my first experience of the Adelphi hotel, as a blind person attending an even for blind people, you would think that with a party of that size that the staff would be aware of us, and to treat us with dignity and respect, instead I was deeply upset and embarrassed that I wasn't able to eat in a comfortable manner and feel reassured in my surroundings. I feel the staff need Visual Awareness training, so they know how to guide and cater for people who are blind or partially sighted in a satisfactory way. "

• Travel date: 11th December 2015

rather sleep in the bushes!

Reviewed 29th June 2015

"Booked the Adelphi through local decent coach company,when we got to the room my partner went ballistic,a nasty taste invaded the mouth ,changed rooms 3 times all really dated in fact 1914 .I am not joking ,I wanted to like it but couldn't,some people didn't seem to mind though.400 rooms need renovating.Yes it was cheap but I expect basic and clean no more but it was depressing spent 200 at holiday inn to stop dearest moaning ,earache agonizing!go there first "

• Travel date: 14th June 2015

Bad start to our weekend away!

Reviewed 5th March 2015

"Would strongly advise anyone that is thinking of booking this hotel to look for other accommodations, it is absolutely horrendous. My girlfriend had booked three days away in Liverpool for my birthday and she was told to book this hotel, as soon as we arrived in the hotel I felt that it wasn't going to be a pleasant stay, it is really dirty and is really out dated. The room that we had been given first of all was disgusting the smell as we opened the door was sickening, there was dust all over the surfaces mainly on the skirting boards. We then went back to reception to complain and asked to be changed room which they were more than happy to do but when we got to that room it was just as bad as the first so are minds were made up from there we had to find somewhere else to stay and we returned to the reception to complain once more and to cancel are booking. We went even in the hotel an hour but it was enough to last us a life time, this hotels only saving grace is that there staff are very helpful and friendly but i would strongly advise against anyone staying in this hotel anytime soon."

• Travel date: 4th March 2015

an expensive disappointment, lesson learned

Reviewed 18th February 2015

"I was very disappointed in this hotel. It was not what I expected. As you enter yes it's beautiful but looks at first can be deceiving!! It seems the main front of the hotel is stunning but leads Booker's into believing the whole hotel is as grand. It is not. The corridors are mucky and UN-kept.The rooms are a massive let down they do have a en-suit bathroom that was standard but nothing special, the TV supplied had bog standard channel's ( no free view etc). The decor was shabby and UN-kept. Curtains that had paint dribble on, peeling wallpaper, damp stains everywhere and furniture that fell to bits. The hotel facilities were a disappointment as there is extra charge to use the pool,gym etc. The website should make this clear!! All of which I do feel maybe could be forgiven and classed as part of the history of the place IF you were actually made to feel welcome by staff. I'm a big believer in happy, helpful and friendly staff are what makes your stay, so Adelphi Hotel I would advise you use one of your many conference rooms to train your staff in hospitality, as a 5 bed Bed and Breakfast with a shared shower and no official star rating would out shine the Adelphi Hotel . Lesson learned expense does not always win!! "

• Travel date: 16th February 2015

Was glad to get home.

Reviewed 10th November 2014

"Staff polite and helpful, bed sheets clean. Building very shabby indeed. Other guests very noisy until 5am. Did not feel safe at night. Not a good experience."

• Travel date: 8th November 2014

Liverpool experience with National Holidays

Reviewed 11th June 2014

"This an iconic hotel, however our room was dated, old fashioned, no shower. It was in desperate need of restoration, it was dirty, dusty and in a poor state of repair. The food was average at best. Staff were miserable. Wouldn't venture there again. "

• Travel date: 11th June 2014

Not an Hotel I would Choose on a personal basis

Reviewed 27th June 2013

"Location was good, within walking distance of main centre and attractions. The room was a twin bedded room. Beds were good and comfortable. Cleanliness of room left a lot to be desired, carpets stained in several places, paintwork chipped and peeling in numerous places. Secondary double glazing very stiff and difficult to open and shut, space between very dirty. Net curtains were grey and in need of a good wash. Door to bathroom did not shut properly as catch and stop attached to top of door broken. Taps in vanity sink in room delivered hot water via both taps. Television was old fashioned portable with remote that did not operate properly. Tea making facilities in room adequate but for twin bedded room could have been more. Several complaints made to reception regarding complaints re other faults, reply, "It's an old building" One lift inoperative for whole weekend. Meals, food adequate but for supposed hotel rating, overall food poor. Helpful hint, hotel needs a complete remodel and a more enhanced maintenance regime in place. Would certainly not use it again or recommend it as a venue for events."

• Travel date: 23rd June 2013

Hotels near Adelphi Hotel & Spa

Top traveller tips for Adelphi Hotel & Spa

• by Fortescue38

"Get a room on the first three floors; avoid the lift; take a strong lightbulb or two with you."

• by lanesra

"book else where too avoid disappointment "

• by Franny21

"Best tip don't stay here "

• by r1121

"please go somewhere else!"

• by Eoghan M

"Find somewhere else to stay!"

• by Wayne C

"Magical mystery tour."

• by robert2l

"Liverpool is great for a night out"

• by Pepperpot

"If you like vinegar take your own. Check the top of your wardrobe for dust before putting your case up there."

• by Lisa R

"A total modernisation and revamp "

Adelphi Hotel & Spa is also called