About Mercure Haydock Hotel

• heated pool
  • indoor pool

Good

Nice enough hotel, dress warmly for dinner!

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We stayed in the Thistle Haydock while attending the horse racing. The hotel is very convenient to the track, about 15mins walk. We had booked directly with the hotel website and got a good deal at £178 B&B for the 2 nights in a deluxe room. The room was well appointed with double bed, desk, table & 2 chairs, TV etc, good size room, with separate dressing area and ensuite bathroom. The décor was old, but not shabby, quite nice and comfortable. One thing I would have liked in the room was a mini bar, but there were tea making facilities. The foyer of the hotel has ample seating, although the sofas have seen better days and a lot of the furniture here needs urgently updated! There is a swimming pool and gym here, which I didn’t know about, so therefore didn’t have my swimming gear with me, it looked nice all the same!

There is some construction being done on the function room at the back of the hotel. We ate in the main restaurant on the first night, the food was just ok (small bit of steak, 5 chunky chips and rocket leaves £18!!) There was a draft, think its due to this construction. I thought it was air con, but when I asked the waiter to turn it off he informed me it was a draft and that there was nothing they could do about it. There was only one other couple in the restaurant at this time, 8pm Fri night and they were wearing jumpers, so be warned dress up warmly for dinner! The second night we ate in Narini’s Indian restaurant, excellent food and atmosphere. 20min taxi run to get to it, but worth it! This hotel is out on it’s own, not really any restaurants about it, the Holiday Inn is just down the road, we passed it on the way to the race track. We flew into Manchester airport and it took about 30mins to get to the hotel, and cost £45 in a black cap from airport. It only cost us £25 on the way back as the reception organised this for us with the taxi firm they use, make sure you get a fixed price on this as the cabbie tried to charge us £36! The girls in reception are most friendly and helpful for booking taxis and restaurants, very efficient!"

• Travel date: Mon 20th of November 2006

really enjoyable

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"My husband and I recently spent a weekend at the Thistle Haydock as we were visiting relatives and it was a great experience. Bathroom was very clean with good products from the spa (Which were replenished), a free coffee/tea service bar, trouser press and lovely comfy kingsize bed.

We tried out the gym which was small but very adequate. I also had a massage which was only average, rather disappointingly.

We were also pleasantly surprised at how reasonably priced the rooms were. We didn't pay for the breakfast (they wanted £20 for it!) but that wasn't a problem. We were also very very pleased with the evening meal which we had on friday night at the restaurant. It was very reasonably priced and v good quality.

They were very busy with weddings that weekend (I think they had 3!) but we never felt in the way and we couldn't hear noise from the wedding party (except for one drunken bridesmaid and her friend for about 10 minutes). They placed us in rooms that were not near the wedding parties - very considerate.

We would stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of July 2006

loved the peaceful surroundings

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed in the Thistle Haydock for a weekend in July. We specifically booked it to be close to the racecourse, which it is. We were able to walk there and back.

I thought the hotel was very impressive upon arrival, check in was extremely easy and efficient. Our room was on the ground floor and was a typical hotel bedroom with everything we needed.

There was an event in the tented area outside our window but it was over by 12.30 a.m. and the noise didn't bother us at all.

All the staff were polite and efficient. The restaurant was excellent serving a wide range of good food with excellent service.

All in all I thought this was a lovely hotel and will definitely be back the next time we go racing to Haydock."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of July 2005

A Pleasant Surprise

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"We recently bidded on the last minute auction site for a weekend break entitled "Romantic Weekend Break". We bought the break for a reasonable £89 for two persons for 2 nights.
Thought there would be a catch, indeed there was not. The hotel for a three star was quite charming, pleasant reception area and pretty courtyard to sit in with lovely hanging baskets (plus a marquee....slight warning a wedding dico went on to around 12.15am).
I noticed a sign on the desk to upgrade for £20 PER ROOM PER NIGHT, so I enquired as the deal stated an executive room. No need I was told, we have put you in a studio. Thought this very genuine and proper.
It was prettty, freshly decorated and comprised of a bedroom with drapes to a sitting area, ensuite bathroom (this could have done with a brighten up), and area to iron/make drinks.
Leisure Centre has small pool, gym, jacuzzi and steam room.
Dinner however was absolutely lovely, attentive service from young and keen waiters/waitresses. We stuck to the 3 courses for £19.95 and were very pleasantly surprised, duck confit terrine, rich soups, salmon pate and main courses of chicken, steak, red mullet/trout to name a few. Desserts were lovely, the patissiere apple pie was splendid and light.
The £89 SOON ROSE TO £236 however, it was well worth it. All staff well trained and friendly in hotel, hard to find entrance originally of Junction 23.
Get directions first... Considering 3 star - a great deal. Enjoy....angie"

• Travel date: Wed 6th of July 2005

DONT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the thistle hotel haydock and we both felt extremly let down.
We stayed in an executive room and it was horrible. The room was below average, poorly decorated, the bathroom was dirty, and one bedside light was broken.
We ordered room service and the food was terrible, and not cheap!
We had NOT been informed an event would be taking place in the court yard OUTSIDE OUR WINDOW therefore we could not even get a good nights sleep due to the noise!
The hotel in general is not very impressive and is in urgent need of updating itself into the year 2005!
Overall the Thistle hotel haydock is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in!"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of May 2005

Excellent hotel

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"A nice, clean, modern, friendly hotel with excellent facilities. A wonderful welcome, rooms spacious and impressive. Would recommend to anyone."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of October 2004