London Central Southwark hotel exterior

• desk
  • 24 hour check in

Basic and Clean

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"The hotel was very basic but it was clean, new and had a reasonable amount of room. There was no hairdryer in the room but reception would provide one. The one thing I did think was odd was there was no telephone in the room, not even to call reception. There were train tracks just outside our window but if I hadn’t looked down to see them I doubt I would have known they were there as they were so very quiet. The window did not open at all which means it was a bit stuffy when we got in but the AC worked reasonably well and it was not a problem overall. Be sure to bring you own shampoos and other toiletries as they are not provided. Over all it was a clean hotel at a reasonable rate. The hotel was very convenient to the Southwark metro station. We walked from the hotel to the Tower of London but it was a lengthy walk. Overall the location suited us well. We are a family of three with a child <1yr."

• Travel date: 17th July 2008

Great Price & Location

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I stayed at the Travelodge Southwark for 4 nights (6/1/08-6/5/08). The hotel had only opened a few weeks earlier, so everything was very new and clean. The hotel is only a 1-2 minute walk from the Southwark tube station, so the location/convenience of this hotel was excellent. I also enjoy walking, and I had no trouble walking as far west as Westminster Bridge, and as far east as Tower Bridge. When you get to the hotel, you walk in the door and immediately take the elevator up to the first floor where the reception desk is located. Once you check in, you can go to the upper floors to your room. You'll need your room key to gain access to these floors. The first floor also has a bar/lounge area. Breakfast was served every morning, but the cost was not included in the price of your room. In my opinion the breakfast was overpriced and not very good, so I would definitely advise against purchasing it. I found a nearby store and purchased some fruit & bread to eat for breakfast every morning and saved a bunch of money. The bar also serves dinner and drinks in the evening. Food was ok..not great, but not bad. The rooms were very basic, but very clean. There was a large desk area, which was convenient. There is wireless internet, but it is quite expensive. There was a nice tv, but very few channels. There was an electric kettle and tea/coffee in the room. A/C worked well. The bathroom was small, but not tiny. Everything worked well, although a bit more water pressure in the shower would have been appreciated. There was a US-style plug next to the sink for my electric razor, which was convenient and didn't use up one of my adapters. My room faced away from the street...but despite the heavy train traffic behind the building, the noise wasn't bad and I had no trouble sleeping. Housekeeping came to the room every day and made the bed and brought clean towels. However, I don't think she swept the floor during my stay. One problem I did encounter with this hotel: there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. While this wasn't a problem for me personally, as I was sleeping on my last night, the fire alarm went off around midnight because somebody else in the hotel had taken a very hot shower, and the excess steam set off the smoke detector (which is located just outside the bathroom door). all in all, this hotel was very clean, in a great location, and a great deal if you can get one of the saver rates. I would absolutely stay here again."

• Travel date: 13th July 2008

Fab Hotel

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"I have just returned from a 2 night stay with my boyfriend and my parents we had 2 rooms booked via the travelodge website. Well what can I say this hotel is just perfect, we travelled for lesuire to do some sights and a theatre visit, (there is a closer hotel to theatre land but as the London Underground is easier to work out than a bus time table we found the hotel to be just as close) there is some great pubs opposit and at reasonable London prices for drinks. This hotel is just 2 min walk to London Southwark tube station, 15 mins walk to the London eye or 1 stop on the tube. 5 mins walk to the Tate Modern, and Milenium bridge, Well worth a stay the hotel is brand new and the hallway carpets still smell new I could have slept on them, the rooms are basic but the hotel is a basic hotel you have everything you need and anything else you may forget (toothbrush or hairdryer for example) they usually hire or you can buy in reception. Whilst on my stay I met a family who had got a room for £9 a night well you just can't turn that down, thats how good the hotel prices are. check website for fantasic deals. The only downside I would say is the price of breakfast it cost £7.50 per person (altough you don't have to add this on at the time of booking, you can add on arrival or in the morning if you wish) the food is buffet service altough its eat as much as you like there really is only so much food at breakfast you can eat. other than that I would stay here again, and continue to use Travelodge hotels. Just brilliant."

• Travel date: 20th June 2008

Great base in London - does the job!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We booked this hotel through Travelodge.co.uk ... got it for 2 nights for £39! Bargain for the location. Hotel - basic, clean and new - this is a new hotel to the Travelodge chain. Rooms are new and clean, nothing fancy, does the job! Location - the tube station (southwark, also new) is only 2 minutes day. Making it an ideal base to explore London. The Tate Modern is just 7 minutes by foot, and all the Thames attractions just minutes away. The London Eye is only 10 minutes by foot. We did not have breakfast there, so we can't comment. Overall, this hotel does the job! Will definitely go back."

• Travel date: 14th June 2008

Excellent base while in London

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"I was highly impressed by my 2 night stay at the Travelodge Southwark. I found this hotel via a search for cheap hotels in London. It was offering a room for a 'saver' price of £19 a night. I was highly sceptical but needed a cheap place to stay and was familiar with the area so I booked it. I paid a supplement for a full English Breakfast, for both mornings of my stay. I was held up and didn't arrive till about 1am, I phoned a head to make sure my rooms was still being held. I was offered directions (about 2 mins from the tube) and reassurance and talked through the security system. To get in to the hotel between 10pm and 6am you must either use your room card or buzz into reception, once thought the doors you really only go into the reception area, once you leave the elevator on each floor you must use your card again to reach the corridors and rooms. On arrival I noticed the walk in room rate was advertised at £108, so defiantly check out the saver rates. My room was clean and comfortable, tea and coffee making facilities where available but no toiletries except a bar of soap - but I had been warned of this at the time of booking. There are no bedside tables but two small nooks - just large enough for a travel alarm clock. The window faced into a central courtyard so while not very pretty was exceptionally quite. I slept late the next day and didn't leave my room till about 3, I returned about an hour later and my bed had been made and towels replaced. While I found the hotel incredible value for money, unless your making the most of the kids eat free options, its probably better value to breakfast elsewhere. Although breakfast is an all you can eat buffet, the range is limited and the breakfasting area always full. The other slightly irritating thing was that only one elevator worked, which meant at busy times the elevator was crowded or you had to walk up the stairs – my room was on the 7th floor so I only tried that once. I'd definitely recommend staying there if you're going to see London as its a perfect base, while not 'central' its proximity to the tube means that you get anywhere quickly and the Tate Modern and Watertaxis are almost on your doorstep."

• Travel date: 11th June 2008

Convenient for Tate, Globe, Tower Bridge

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"This Travellodge is brand new and very close to Southwark tube.(It was 15 pounds for a cab from Paddington) It is a clean and convenient location. It is quite industrial around it and you have to walk about 10-15 minute to Tate and Globe for sites and restaurants. Also can recommend a restaurant near The Tate called Amanos (great coconut Mohitos and Pizza) and there is also a good greek restaurant along the Bankside near the Globe. We also did the breakfast buffet in the morning (kids eat free). It was very convenient with kids with an average food spread. I would also recommend walking along the southbank to the Tower Bridge...lots of interesting things to see on the way."

• Travel date: 4th June 2008

Convenient overnight place to stay

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"I stayed here for one night for an overnight business trip. It was very convenient (only about 2 mins walk from Southwark Tube station), clean and reasonably priced for central London (£85). My room was a very good size, and the bathroom was nicely done out with red tiles. Downsides 1) no bedside table 2) the room did back out onto the main road - but I put my earplugs in and didn't hear anything after that! I didn't pay extra for breakfast, but there was a quite nice-looking cafe bar where you could buy breakfast if you wanted, which I haven't seen in other Travelodges. The hotel does seem pretty security-savvy too - the reception is on the first floor and you can only get through to rooms by using your room key. All in all, a convenient place to stay on a budget."

• Travel date: 2nd June 2008

A good, clean hotel. Good location.

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Stayed at this new hotel for 2 nights. It opened on 12th May 2008. The rooms are basic, as you would expect, but very clean. Again, I kind of expected this as we were the first guests to stay in the room. The shower is the only downside, it trickles water out; but does the job at the end of the day. The beds were really comfortable and the room had sufficient amenities for the basic traveller. There is no shower gel in the bathroom so remember to bring your own. Staff was pleasant and helpful. The bar area looks nice, but for some reason doesn't open until 5pm so we used the bar over the road, called The Lord Nelson- we liked it here for a few drinks before heading out at night. There are plenty other bars nearby like the Union Jack to the left of the hotel and then quite a few on ' The Cut'. We were a group of 5 so travelled in taxis most times. To Leicester Sq costs about £11. You could walk to places like London Eye quite easily as it is not far, perhaps a 20minute walk for a fast walker:) I preferred this location to the Travelodge on City Road and would stay here again in future. Also, the hotel seems very secure with card swipe entry before you can access the floors/lobby etc. We got a bargain for this at £49 a night. I've given this a rating of 3 as it is more than adequate for a traveller but doesn't have room service, toiletries etc etc."

• Travel date: 21st May 2008

Great Budget Hotel

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We booked a family room at this hotel for £49 pounds a night and were quite anxious about what kind of room we might get. We were pleasantly surprised and it was definitely a great deal! Our room consisted of a large bed as well as a sofa bed that pulled out. Both were very comfortable. The room was of normal size (not huge, but adequate). As promised, no toiletries were provided. Housekeeping changed towels daily as long as you made it known that you wanted that done. There were tea/coffee making facilities (a plug in kettle). Hairdryers and irons had to be checked out from the reception and were able for use for one hour at a time. The hotel was only a two minute walk from the Southwark Underground Station which made it convenient for travel. The area was very safe, and restaurants and shops were nearby. Overall,we had an excellent experience. You really can't beat the price and the rooms are exactly as promised. A few downsides: Not sure if housekeeping really vaccuumed (or if they did, they didn't do a great job), one trash can is provided that is reallllly tiny, and the tub is very treacherous! It is easy to slip and fall because there is no bathrug, and the tub is somewhat elevated. Also, no exhausts or windows in the bathroom. Positives: Great price, comfortable beds, good television, fairly clean, nice staff, hairdryer/iron availability, location."

• Travel date: 21st May 2008

Just what we needed for our weekend break

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"When searching for accomm in London for last weekend, we found this hotel. We could book it for £49 a night which we were quite happy with for somewhere so close to the centre of London. The hotel only opened on the 9th May and we were going on the 10th. This worried us a bit but there was no reason to as it was all fine and completed when we got there. There was a slight smell of paint but the newness of the hotel was nice. Some of the doors had a tendency to stick but am sure this will be sorted when its been open a while. Our room was great. As we just wanted it as a base to stay, we weren't too bothered what it was like but it was nice. It was reasonably sized and modern. The bed was comfy and large, the tv was modern and we had adaquete wardrobe space. They don't provide hairdryers, irons etc in the room but apparently you can get these from reception if needed. The bathroom was a reasonable size, and the shower worked well. The only thing I would grumble about would be the cleanliness. The room was very clean when we arrived (suspect we may have been the first to stop in that room). However, the cleaners didn't seem to do that good a job when they'd been. The carpet didnt appear to have been hoovered, they didn't take away or clean our used teacups and they took away the dirty towels and only replaced them with 1 hand towel and one body towel. Not great when there were two of us in the room!! I would definitely return though, and highly reccomend it to anyone."

• Travel date: 20th May 2008