The Superior Queen Room at The Ritz London

Good
Good

Reviewed 25th July 2013

"Who do THE RITZ think they are? A shameful Tourist Trap, bland food, herded in and out...DREADFUL. What a charade! A mechanical, Groundhog Day, appalling experience. My advice....forget about it. Don't go unless you want to feel like you are on a conveyor belt. There are 2 hour time slots throughout the day and it is highly regimented. Why not join the army instead? Army tea is probably better. The "Tea" here was bland.....the worst afternoon tea my wife and I have ever experienced by a long way. Just look at the "Terrible" reviews next and believe me.....this is the reality. I can’t understand how The Ritz get away with this. Perhaps people who pay for Tea At The Ritz feel privileged to be allowed inside the place? It's not worth the effort of booking months in advance, as we once tried to do with the voucher for Tea at the Ritz given to us by a friend who did not realise what problems we would have attempting to make a booking with a voucher. In my opinion and experience, the Ritz is a small, over-priced hotel which gives poor value with a staff who can behave like Rottweilers. I challenge the hotel management to comment on this revue by way of a public response instead of trying to get TripAdvisor to remove it. After our recent stay the Managing Director of the Ritz asked to speak with me: “Firstly I am very sorry your experience with us fell below our usual high standards. I am away from the office over the next few days and would be grateful for time to look into this. Furthermore, by speaking with you directly on my return would expedite an appropriate response.” I did not wish to be persuaded against reviewing our experience and so I declined to speak with the Managing Director. My wife and I recently stayed overnight at the Ritz AND experienced the afternoon tea. As a resident, it appears easy to obtain a table for tea and certainly, booking for Tea a few days earlier (at the same time as we booked our accomodation), was easy and we received a sensible time slot.... but pity those poor people who have been given a "voucher for Tea at the Ritz" as a gift! Are they going to complain that they can't book at table for the time and date they want to go? Of course not...the voucher was a gift! And yet the voucher will expire after one year after which the Ritz will no longer honor the voucher and you are left with a worthless piece of paper! So, we descended in the lift from our Ritz Hotel accommodation, into a scene more reminiscent of a rowdy provincial city center on a Friday night. It was bedlam in the hotel's public area as all manner of people arrived for their "Tea at the Ritz"" many of whom looked a little out of place, perhaps because they assumed they were somewhere extremely posh. It is the clientele and the staff of an establishment who create the standards and running a mass catering operation, as this is, turning over all the tables every 2 hours, en masse is bound to lead to a lowering of standards. The Ritz enforce a dress code but making socially inept, rude people (we were next to some in the queue and there were more inside) dress up does not make them contribute to the ambiance...far from it. Of course the previous 2 hour Tea slot before our 2 hour slot had not evacuated or been kicked out yet (you can't linger beyond your two hour slot) and so although resident, we joined the queue in which there was a fair sprinkling of lowlife. Four women in particular were absolutely disgusting as they eyed up the others waiting and also eventually sitting inside. We could not help but hear them comment loudly about other guests and sniggering. Posh it wasn't. If this was a queue for a flight it could have been the queue for economy flying to the dodgiest of foreign holiday resorts. If you want a great traditional British tea there are far better places to go than this cattle market. Try any other top hotel. And don't even think of staying here. The Ritz earned it's name early in the last century but in my opinion it no longer deserves it not only because of the ludicrous "Tea" operation but also because the corridors leading to the accommodation upstairs had a peculiar smell, our bedroom was dreadful, the value is poor and the location isn't brilliant.....go for Tea or stay down the road in Knights bridge or on Park Lane, both better locations. Choose the Berkeley or The Dorchester or 45 Park Lane. I think the place is the Kings' new clothes. What a dump. My family recently stayed in a lovely suite at Coworth Park Hotel in Ascot (the best country hotel in the UK) where "Afternoon Tea" is superb and half the price. Marks out of 10...Coworth Park....10 The Ritz...2. That is the reality. Avoid the Ritz Hotel tea... it's ridiculous and far too regimented. It reminded me of a Disney operation where staff just go through the motions time and time again......it's Groundhog Day and it is impersonal. We were herded in (and later herded out) at one of their 2 hour slots. They serve afternoon tea from a stupidly early time for "Afternoon Tea" to a ridiculously late time for "Afternoon Tea." Oscar Wilde would not have been impressed. It's far too commercialized (and why not one may ask, it is a huge profit center for the hotel) and it's not worth pretending that you are somewhere special as the reality is that Tea At The Ritz is has descended to become a sad tourist trap. I've never sat in a restaurant anywhere and seen so many sad looking people. Perhaps it was the treatment by the staff or the bland food or the realization that you are being taken for a ride? Tea at the Ritz is a very poor example of how taking tea at a top hotel should feel. Don't even think of buying a "Tea at the Ritz" voucher for anyone as a gift. My wife and I were once given a Tea at the Ritz voucher. As a result I felt very let down by the senior management and extremely disappointed. Our personal experience of The Ritz Hotel and their arrangements for reserving a table for their famous Afternoon Tea when one has a voucher that has been given to you as a gift is most telling..... My wife had not been very well and so a very dear friend gave us a kind gift, being a voucher for Tea for Two At The Ritz. I think he got his idea from seeing The "Ritz" Cow, that we bought at a Sothebys charity auction to support the wonderful UK helpline for distressed and "at risk" children known as Child Line. Prior to this it used to stand directly outside of The London Ritz Hotel as part of London's "Cow Parade" which was a London-wide event that raised money for a great cause. It is blue and gold. Every time I see it, I'm now reminded of the Tea At The Ritz voucher which we could not use. I tried to book Tea at the Ritz using the voucher but there was never availability when I tried. Tea at The Ritz is clearly big business and a very busy affair as we discovered a few weeks ago. There is a 12 month expiry date on the voucher and it has to be used before this fairly swift expiry date. Why is that I wonder? I mean....The Ritz were paid for the Afternoon Tea when the voucher was bought....they enjoyed the use of the purchase money.....why should it have an early expiry date? Why should these vouchers not be valid for five years or even ten years? Even London parking vouchers once purchased from local councils can be used for years. Anyhow, when I finally managed to book, after my wife had been too ill for some months to go out anywhere.....and told The Ritz that we were using our voucher, a snooty sounding woman, in a tone that could freeze the entrails off a rabbit, informed me that we could not use our voucher (which was now useless), because it had expired. I was so irritated that I did not proceed with the booking as I had no intention of allowing the Ritz to charge twice and she was clearly not prepared to budge. I then spoke to a more senior manager who politely but firmly put me in my place. They do that at The Ritz! Just read some of the many negative experiences of others on TripAdvisor. All I now have is a worthless piece of paper and the Ritz has my friends' payment IN FULL for an Afternoon Tea. Yes, they eventually offered a refund but we declined as we preferred to report our experience on TripAdvisor. When my friend purchased the voucher for me, he paid by credit card which I discovered when I mentioned that we were never able to use the voucher. He confirmed to me that when buying the voucher he was certainly not advised by The Ritz that he had a 7 day "cooling off" period nor was he advised that the voucher was only valid for 12 months. He has now told me that had he realized that, then he "would not have wished to impose such a gift on me." In the UK, the purchase of goods and services over the Internet, by phone or by mail order generally is subject to the Distance Selling Regulations. One of the most important implications of these regulations is a cooling off period of 7 days during which you have the right to cancel. My friend should have been informed by The Ritz at time of purchase of the voucher but he was not. I have been advised by a department within the Office Of Fair Trading that it is illegal not to inform a consumer when buying over the telephone that there is a cooling off period! The frantically busy Ritz Tea Operation provides 2 hour time slots in which to have your Traditional Afternoon Tea in the supposedly posh setting of the London Ritz, starting at 11.30am with the last slot being at 7.30pm. Oscar Wilde's Lady Bracknell would surely have considered the socially acceptable hour for Afternoon Tea at The Ritz to be half past 3 o'clock. Most people would agree. As for Tea at The Ritz at 7.30 in the evening, this is ludicrous. I consider even 6.00pm to be a time for cocktails, not Afternoon Tea and at 11.30am people on holiday are just getting over breakfast! The only times and dates that I was ever offered when I tried to use my voucher were totally useless to me. People want to book a table when it suits them not when it suits The Ritz. I'm hardly surprised that there is a "high demand" for Tea at the Ritz service given they accept reservations: on the internet; via travel agents; via various web-sites; via agents; they cater to residents; accept telephone bookings.....as well as selling unlimited gift vouchers to unfortunate people who have to then scramble around trying to reserve tables before the voucher expires. Every single time I tried to reserve a table in advance for my wife and I, the Ritz staff told me that none were available for the date and time I wanted when in fact it seems that tables are always available. I understand that The Ritz keep tables available for hotel guests who may decide to take tea at very short notice. Perhaps the Ritz should suggest to hotel guests at the time they make reservations for accommodation that if they hope to enjoy Tea at the Ritz they also book it early, instead of taking full payment in advance from those purchasing gift vouchers and then considering such people third class citizens, to fill in the gaps. A senior manager has suggested that I should have kept calling in the hope of picking up a cancellation! Does he not realise that people have a life? I had actually made numerous attempts to book more than three months in advance. I wonder just how many Tea at the Ritz vouchers, valid for only one year, have been sold and not redeemed? I wonder why they have such a short valid date window for people paying in full for Tea, in advance, when it is clearly so difficult to book for Tea at The Ritz? The M.D. of The Ritz declined to answer. This senior Ritz executive has claimed to me that demand for Tea at the Ritz is managed "efficiently." I can only assume following my own experience, that this means that they are doing so in a way to maximise profits for the owners, very powerful people who also own national newspapers. Their methods certainly are "efficient"..........Tea at the Ritz appears to be run conveyer belt style, as if it was a Disneyland attraction. Other top hotels in London allow customers to take as long as they like over tea. I know who The Ritz think they are and it is laughable. You can’t claim to be as high class as The Ritz considers itself while providing a Tea service as dreadful as this one. Don’t go. "

• Travel date: 19th July 2013

Warning about TEa at the Ritz !

Reviewed 15th August 2011

"Be careful before buying a Tea At The Ritz voucher as a gift. This is my experience of The Ritz Hotel and their arrangements for reserving a table for their famous Afternoon Tea. My wife had not been very well and so a very dear friend gave us a kind gift, being a voucher for Tea for Two At The Ritz. I think he got his idea from seeing The “Ritz” Cow that we bought at a Sothebys charity auction to support the wonderful helpline for distressed and “at risk” children known as ChildLine. The “Ritz” cow is now positioned on a lawn at our home. Prior to this it used to stand directly outside of The London Ritz Hotel as part of London’s “Cow Parade.” It is blue and gold. Every time I see it, I'm now reminded of the Tea At The Ritz we have never received. I tried to book Tea at the Ritz using the voucher but there was never availability when I tried to arrange to use it. Tea at The Ritz is clearly big business and a very busy affair. There is a 12 month expiry date on the voucher and it has to be used before this fairly short expiry date. Why is that I wonder? I mean….The Ritz were paid for the Afternoon Tea when the voucher was bought….they enjoyed the use of the purchase money…..why should it have an early expiry date? Why should these vouchers not be valid for five years or even ten years?
Even London parking vouchers once purchased from local councils can be used for years. Anyhow, when I finally managed to book, after my wife had been too ill for some months to go out anywhere…..and told The Ritz that we were using our voucher, a snooty sounding woman, in a tone that could freeze the entrails off a rabbit, informed me that we could not use our voucher which was now useless, because it had expired. I was so irritated that I did not proceed with the booking as I had no intention of allowing the Ritz to charge twice and she was clearly not prepared to budge. I then spoke to a more senior manager who politely but firmly put me in my place. All I now have is a worthless piece of paper and the Ritz has my friends’ payment IN FULL for an Afternoon Tea. When my friend purchased the voucher for me, he paid by credit card. I have only just informed him that we were never able to use the voucher. He has confirmed to me that when buying the voucher he was certainly not advised by The Ritz that he had a 7 day “cooling off” period nor was he advised that the voucher was only valid for 12 months. He has now told me that had he realised that, then he “would not have wished to impose such a gift on me, knowing how poorly my wife then was and that we also don’t live in London and rarely visit London together. In the UK, the purchase of goods and services over the Internet, by phone or by mail order generally is subject to the Distance Selling Regulations. One of the most important implications of these regulations is a cooling off period of 7 days during which you have the right to cancel. My friend should have been informed by The Ritz at time of purchase of the voucher that there was a 7 day “cooling off” period but he was not. I’m now advised by a department within the Office Of Fair Trading that it is illegal not to inform consumers of their rights when buying over the telephone that there is a 7 day cooling off period. The frantically busy Ritz Tea Operation provides 2 hour time slots in which to have your Traditional Afternoon Tea in the posh setting of the London Ritz, starting at 11.30am with the last slot being at 7.30pm. Oscar Wilde's Lady Bracknell would surely have considered the socially acceptable hour for Afternoon Tea at The Ritz to be half past 3 o'clock. Many people would. As for Tea at The Ritz at 7.30 in the evening, this is ludicrous. I consider even 6.00pm to be a time for cocktails, not Afternoon Tea! The only times and dates that I was ever offered when I tried to use my voucher were totally useless to me. I’m hardly surprised that there is a “high demand” for Tea at the Ritz service given they accept reservations: on the internet; via travel agents; via various web-sites; via agents; they cater to residents; accept telephone bookings.....as well as selling unlimited gift vouchers to unfortunate people who have to then scramble around trying to reserve tables before the voucher expires. Every single time I tried to reserve a table in advance for my wife and I, the Ritz staff told me that none were available for when I wanted when in fact it seems that tables are always available. I understand that The Ritz keep tables available for hotel guests who may decide to take tea at very short notice. Perhaps the Ritz should suggest to hotel guests at the time they make reservations for accommodation that if they hope to enjoy Tea at the Ritz they also book it early, instead of taking full payment in advance from those purchasing gift vouchers and then considering such people third class citizens, to fill in the gaps. A senior manager has suggested that I should have kept calling in the hope of picking up a cancellation! Does he not realise that people have a life? I do not feel it is acceptable for my wife and I to have to travel up to London to have tea at a date and time to suit The Ritz and furthermore I would expect to enjoy tea at The Ritz when I plan to be in London in the first place, as part of our day. Given how very difficult it is to reserve tea at The Ritz, it makes the limited 12 month validity period rather unfair. Last week I went online to The Ritz website and tried to book a table for two for Tea at the Ritz giving more than the indicated 12 weeks notice. First I looked at the current month of August 2011 on their Tea reservation system and I found that a number of dates have a red cross through them. I presume this means that these dates are fully booked. I then moved on through the online Ritz Tea booking calendar to the month of November 2011 where there are no red crosses blocking out dates. I then clicked randomly on November 19th 2011 with the intention of seeing if it was possible to book a standard Tea for Two. A notice appeared stating, “Unfortunately there are no more tables available online for your requested time and date.” November 19th was my first random choice to attempt to make a test Tea reservation at the Ritz at more than three months notice after reading on their website that booking 12 weeks ahead is advised. November 19th was in fact more than 14 weeks in advance! What is going on? I wonder just how many Tea at the Ritz vouchers, valid for only one year, have been sold and not redeemed? I wonder why they have such a short valid date window for people paying for Tea in full, in advance when it is clearly so difficult to book for Tea at The Ritz? The M.D. of The Ritz has declined to answer. This senior Ritz executive has claimed to me that demand for Tea at the Ritz is managed "efficiently.” I can only assume following my own experience, that this means that they are doing so in a way to maximise profits for the owners. Their methods certainly are “efficient”..........Tea at the Ritz appears to be run conveyer belt style, as if it was a Disneyland attraction. Other top hotels in London allow customers to take as long as they like over tea. Tea at the Ritz is big business. I calculate that it brings them around £11,000,000 per annum….there are 5 of what their M.D. calls “Traditional Afternoon Tea” sittings per day, every two hours from 11.30am to 5.30pm. Given this massive income they can easily afford to make vouchers valid for far longer than one year. "

• Travel date: 7th August 2011

Good sized room, executive king. Fresh d...

Reviewed 29th March 2006

"Good sized room, executive king. Fresh decorations, nothing showing signs of wear. Everything you could need, ice, slippers, bath gown, current magazines. Well stocked bar. Large bathroom, twin basins, bidet. Hot water instant. Towels changed during day whenever you went out. Toiletries from Bulgaria. Discrete service to room, turning down bed etc. Excellent attention from very professional staff. Breakfast offered everything you could ask for, with lots of fresh items and above average ingredients. Bar relaxing in evening. Security reassuring but not intrusive. Front of house staff attentive and knowledgeable. No queuing on arrival or departure. Difficult to see what could be improved."

• Travel date: 29th March 2006

Unprofessional staff, beautiful room

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I laughed at a previous review for this hotel since I actually did arrive in a Rolls and wasn't treated any better. I'm used to staying at "snooty" type hotels and even this place was over the top for me. We usually stay at Claridges but I've always been curious about the Ritz; I'm sorry we stayed. There were a few pros. We had a one bedroom suite which is beautiful and large with two nice sized bathrooms and beautiful sitting room. Also, the housekeeping staff is exceptional. I think they must be psychic, they anticipated every need. The front desk staff is great. However, I am deeply disturbed by what appears to be inappropriate profiling by the security staff. During our first evening we enjoyed a few drinks at the Rivoli Bar. I excused myself to go to the powder room and was followed by a member of the security staff both to the powder room and back toward the bar. After I seated myself the bartender asked us what our room number was and then mentioned that they “need to ask these things”. I didn’t have an issue with this question as I understand the need for security although I fail to understand the concern since we were appropriately dressed and behaved. During the second evening of our stay we returned from an evening out. Again, I was well dressed. As my husband and I approached the reception I saw the same security staff member. I made eye contact with him and said hello and he acknowledged me as well (this was during our third day of the stay). As we were collecting the room key I heard him mention to the other security staff member “She’s okay to be here” in reference to me. I’m rather confused why he felt the need to explain this. He saw that I overheard and walked away quickly. I suppose my spouse and I seem to be a mismatched pair since he is in his fifties (a young 50) and I appear to be in my twenties (though I am somewhat older). However, we are both successful professionals united in a legitimate marriage. Since we were in the process of collecting our room key from the front desk (you have to leave it at the desk if you leave the hotel), why would there be a question that I belonged at the hotel? At the very least I feel the staff’s comment amounts to sexism, at the most the implication is far more insulting. I was deeply embarrassed by the lack of discretion exhibited. In his zeal to ensure that each guest met his approval, he ruined my stay at the hotel. My husband discussed this the next morning with the concierge; I wasn’t harassed for the remainder of our stay but the damage had been done. The Ritz needs to reeducate their staff as to the importance of discretion and diplomacy. Additionally, it would be helpful if they didn’t apply their own clichéd stereotypes when judging the suitability of those present in the hotel’s public areas. I believe the policy dictates proper attire and presumably acceptable behavior. I met both criteria so treatment with as much respect and dignity as the other guests should have been automatic. I have nothing but respect for their profession, I really didn't deserve this treatment. Both my husband and I travel extensively and enjoy staying at finer hotels. Perhaps we have been scrutinized at some of these hotels but the difference is that their staff is trained to be subtler. We also had dinner at the restaurant. The food was horrible and we actually went to a second restaurant after dining there. I expect service to be at a leisurely pace at a restaurant like this, and it was, but not in an elegant way. We sat there for quite awhile before a server came for our drink order and it's not acceptable to wait 20 minutes for your first bottle of wine or drink. We also had lunch one afternoon, which was fine (had the salmon) and tea twice (entertaining guests). The tea is nothing special but I wasn't expecting much. The sandwiches were typical finger sandwiches and the petit fours were good. Also, a good tea selection. All in all, I'll be staying at Claridge's again. It's a shame since the location is perfect."

• Travel date: 16th December 2005

far too snobbish

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Found the hotel far too snobbish.if you want a classic hotel with all the style and sophistication you would expect from a hotel of this class, just a lot more friendly, try the Savoy.i stayed here and was made to feel honoured that you deem to spend money with them, i stayed at the savoy as a gift (taking in gordon ramsays chelsea restaurant too, try it, it is amazing) and was given a complimentary upgrade as it was a gift !!! superb !!.the ritz should take some lessons from them."

• Travel date: 16th November 2005

You better drive up in a Rolls to be treated well!!!!!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My family has stayed at this hotel for 50+ years. I myself have probably stayed at this hotel 3-4 times a year ever since I was born. I spent my spring semester and summer in London and my parents came to visit several times. On my parents most recent trip, I went to the hotel to pick them up...I had just finished playing soccer and didn't see any reason to change before I walked into the hotel as I had walked through the front door a thousand times before in gym clothes. The valet @ the front actually said, "Um sir, may I help you." I told him I was there to see my parents - And he wouldn't let me in the hotel!!!! He asked me to wait as he had someone call up to their room(he, of course, asked me for their names)!!!! While I was waiting, another valet realized who I was and apologized...they gave my parents a free night bc I lost it on a manager as he walked me up to their room apologizing the whole way...big deal...I've never paid to stay here, but would bet my family spends more at this hotel/year than most people there make...or more than I make now for that matter. I really could have cared less about this incident but 2 days later I had some friends over to the hotel to charge up my parents bill (w/ their permission of course). 2 girls and a buddy were all stoped at the front and asked if they could be helped for absolutly no reason!!!! One of the girls was british, with a small title might I add. I did loose it on the hotel and they again, apologized over and over again for the rest of my parents stay. However, this behavior seems to be a pattern with this hotel. My parents will still stay @ the hotel, but I will never spend a dime there. The staff is always overly nice to me, with the exception of this one incident, but only because most of them know me and are probably afraid of me now. The employes at this hotel need to remember that the ritz is not a private club, and even if it were, they wouldn't be the members. If you want traditional British Hospitality, stay at Claridges or the Stafford where, like most of the Brits, they treat everyone with kindness...ie, if you are just a tourist and want to walk through the lobby of either hotel, you will be treated kindly. Fell free to email me with questions."

• Travel date: 27th October 2005

Tea on TV?

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"If you're mad enough to go for the afternoon tea you might notice the CCTV cameras peering at you from all over the place. Whether this is because you might steal a tea strainer or streak the palm court, I don't know, but I know I don't like it. You will go away hungry, too."

• Travel date: 11th October 2005

ritz? more like the blitz

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"I went to the ritz london on saturday 01/oct/2005 to reserve a room for the weekend of 29/oct/2005 to celebrate the birthday of my partner. I was rudely greeted by a young man who told me that i could have done this on the internet or over the phone to save 'their' time. I only went down in person as i work a few streets down. I was shocked at the reception i got considering the amount of money i was ready to spend on what i thought was an exceptional hotel, one where i was looking to spend a night to remember. If this was their attitude then i thank my lucky stars that i hadn't booked over the internet or by phone and experienced the first class hostility and arrogance in person and saved myself the disappointment later on. i take reviews i read on tripadviser with a pinch of salt, i now think anyone considering staying here to take them with something a lot more stiffer to prepare them from the shocking, cold, couldn't care less who you are attitude that awaits them. Good luck if you plan to stay here and DON'T assume if you've stayed at a ritz-carlton hotel before that this is more of the same stuff, it's just a bluff !"

• Travel date: 5th October 2005

The Staff think they are the customers :(

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"I am going to be short and sweet about this hotel. I cannot take the ambience away from this hotel, it is grand in its appearance and interior. I booked a standard double and was offered a deluxe suite for about £100 more, over looking Picadilly (the road). All was well, apart from the staff. They have this superior attitude. I felt like I was priviledged to be walking in their presence. All changed of course when I walked out of my chauffered Bentley...suddenly I was not this young guy with the scruffy clothes...enough said. There are better 5* hotels in London who want your business. Try Claridges if you want a classic style hotel."

• Travel date: 27th September 2005

Trading the brand to death.

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"Unless someone invites me, I won't choose to visit again. Absolutely unremarkable, excepting the enduring legacy of the name. However even that can't take the punishment of the indifferent experience I had. I took the ritual afternoon tea and had to watch the undignified behaviour of a guest (I guess), physically maulling the seated female oriental pianist as if he owned her. Gross. I wish I had got up now and done something about it! She left after finishing what she was playing and did'nt come back. The staff all have a high opinion of themselves, which has to have something to do with the place they work. But when the staff put themselves above the paying customer, showing little humility and not giving the impression that "nothing was too much trouble"; well then I take my dollars elsewhere. I don't regard this as a "Brit" attitude, as most of the staff seemed European. The Casino is a better place to lose your money, than wasting it staying at the Hotel."

• Travel date: 18th September 2005

fabulous

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Simply fabulous - This hotel is great. The service was terrific and is centrally located to everything. Make sure you eat at the Wollesley (terrific atmosphere), eat at wagamma(asian). Yes, this hotel is upscale but the service and staff were awesome. I couldn't wait to get back to my room to lie on my bed, it is that comfortable. London is extremely pricey, be prepared for that, way more than a New York City."

• Travel date: 17th September 2005

A classic hotel

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"The Ritz is absolutely classic, it is not in the spirit of the mega resorts. I loved the service, room and location! The conceirge desk was incredible, ask for Ray to handle your needs in London.He arranged car to and from Heathrow, restaurant reservations etc....... The rooms large with great beds and character. A world class hotel in a world class city!!"

• Travel date: 16th September 2005

Hotels near The Ritz London

Top traveller tips for The Ritz London

• by BMAscot

"Don't! Stay at The Dorchester or The Berkeley or 45 Park Lane instead and the locations of all three are better"

• by BarryAscot