Good

This hotel is very nice although very ex...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2008

"This hotel is very nice although very expensive. I stayed for 2nights last month on business.

The most striking thing about this place is the decor. It's somewhat unique, to say the least; 'over-the-top' in places, even tasteless. It is the one thing that I will never forget about the place (oh, and the cost). You're paying for the location not so much the quality of the place - check the online prices and you'll see what I mean.

I was in the double deluxe room but it was probably one of the smaller double rooms I've been in. The bed was comfortable enough but I did feel somewhat claustrophobic as there wasn't much room to walk around in or for your cases. The bathroom was nice and clean (fresh, clean towels) though - always a major plus. The staff were friendly enough but it did seem somewhat false. The noise levels from outside the window and corridors/joining rooms is bearable but could be better. The breakfast was good though and was a saving grace.

Ideal for tourists (a less than 5mins walk to the British Museum) and close to Covent Garden but not if you are on a budget. There are plenty of cheaper and better quality hotels out there in Central London with much better decor. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better quality as this hotel proves beyond any doubt here. I'm not sorry to say I won't stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of January 2008

My mother had a wonderful stay.

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"After reading through many reviews of London hotels, I booked four nights at the Montague for my 74 years old mother who was traveling alone. Because of her age and health conditiuons, and also of her limited English, I had some concerns, so I sent an e-mail to the hotel one day before her arrival, asking to make sure that she could get a quiet non-smoking garden-view room, and also to talke extra good care of her. I did not really expect reply to my e-mail, but the Concierge, Mr. Alan Frangleton, not only sent me a reaply e-mail assuring that he would take extra good care of my mother, but also sent me a follow-up e-mail after my mother's departure. I was impressed.

My mother says Mr. Frangleton did take care of her personally, and that it was quite a cultural experience to be treated like a upper-class English lady by Mr. Frangleton. He struck her as such a classic English butler type that she felt as if she were in a movie.

Aside from being impressed by the level of service provided, my mother loved her room facing cortyard, though a little small, and the fact that the newly remodeled large bathroom had a plentiful suppy of hot water. She was also impressed by the quality and the presentation of food served at the restaurant.

I would like to stay at the Montague one day myself.

Yoko Miyamoto"

• Travel date: Sat 30th of July 2005

Good things. . .small packages

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"The rooms are small. . . there, I said it. But in every other way, this is a very nice hotel. The staff is terrific, the rooms are well appointed and the air-conditioning works very well (not a given in London). The location is great, next door to the British Museum."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of July 2005

Charming hotel, but get the larger rooms

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Montague on the Gardens for four nights, pre-cruise. We arrived with typical cruise luggage, which is to say, lots of it. The hotel is in a wonderfully convenient location, just off Russell Square, a block or so from the British Museum, in easy walking distance of Russell Square, Holborn, and Euston Tube stations, and with a bus stop across the street. It would be hard to find a more accessible or central location.

We booked directly with the hotel, choosing the standard queen room, Early Booking Discount, including full English breakfast for two, at 109 GBP per night, a relative bargain for central London.

The hotel is made up of a series of, I believe, Georgian era townhomes which have been converted into a single hotel. There are restaurants and bar areas on the premises and pleasant public rooms. The lobby area is compact but efficient.

Breakfast was tasty and plentiful, with wonderful coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice, scrambled eggs, English and American styles of bacon, fruit, cheeses, pastries, toast, sausages, and a variety of other hot items.

The staff is international, and very attentive, pleasant, and eager to be helpful. We were provided with a converter to assure that our laptop computer wouldn't have any problems, as the staff wasn't sure that the simple adaptor would be sufficient to regulate the differences in the power.

With all of these positives, I must add that our room was very small and very crowded. We had virtually no drawer space, and barely enough room in the closet to store our bags. There was ample closet space for hanging, but the closets were quite narrow. There was a great deal of furniture in a very small space. We had a queen bed, two night stands (each with one tiny drawer) a desk with three drawers, and a larger space which contained the set up for making tea/coffee, but no refrigeration, and which was unusable for any other kind of storage, three drawers in the desk which were occupied by the affixed hair dryer, and two huge phone books respectively. There was a small round table and two chairs jammed into the remaining space, and the tv was on top of the dresser. It was literally impossible to walk between the desk and the bed if anyone was sitting in either the chairs at the table or at the desk.

The bathroom was of adequate size, although it had a tub with shower, and a rather ineffective glass shower deflector. Water sprayed around, under, and past it onto the floor, however, and it was apparent that not everyone mopped up, as there was water damage to the panelling around the tub and the sink. Robes were provided and towels and linens were of acceptable but not outstanding quality.

The Montague is in such a great location, and the service is quite good. If we went back, we would go for a larger room, facing the gardens rather than the street (there was a degree of street noise) but would still go through the hotel's web site as they have wonderful specials, and also a web low price guarantee."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of July 2005

One bad apple

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"I had stayed at the Montague before in 2004 and had a wonderful stay. For this reason I booked this hotel when I took my elderly mother on a trip to London as a special treat she really needed after my dad had died in October and she had suffered a stroke. Our arrival was a total disaster. The room they took us to was not ready and was dark and oppressive. We asked for the room to be changed to one with more ventilation. We were told by the desk clerk he would see about this and were left in the lobby, during which time my mother was feeling quite ill after a transatlantic flight. Everything would have probably been alright if one of the senior employees had not interfered. I do not remember what fancy title he introduced himself as, some middle level manager or something, but he insisted that we take the room we did not want for reasons neither we nor anyone else at the hotel seemed to understand. This man was rude, crude and impolite. I was finally able to get us changed to a lighter, brighter room but he exacted his revenge by keeping us waiting for it for over an hour. I know the wait was unnecessary because the head of housekeeping, a very lovely woman, appeared shocked by our treatment and said she could have had the room ready in 10 minutes but that no one had informed her of the problem. I cannot imagine why ANY hotel would allow this man to work with customers. None of the staff seemed to like him and some appeared downright terrified of him. Other employees felt bad at the way we were treated and were lovely to us, but the ordeal was just too much enable us to enjoy our stay. I will NOT be back. When we returned to London we stayed at the Rubens and received wonderful treatment. I suggest going there instead of the Montegue until they sort out their management problem."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of July 2005

WOW - What a hotel!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We stayed for 3 nights in one of the Junior Suites, definatly worth the small extra charge. The room was large, as was the Bathroom. It had his and hers sinks, jacuzzi bath and a very good power shower. Each evening you get canapes and ice delivered to your room along with the evening turndown service. If you are there for business there is a fax in the room. And if you want a quite night in you have complimentary use of DVD's and CD's. The service was second to none, attentive without being "in your face". The breakfast was fantastic, really set you up for the day's sightseeing. We also ate in the Chef's Table restaurant on one of the evenings. Very well looked after and the food was to die for. The only very small critism I have over the Montague was the tea and coffee tray. It was located under the TV in the cabinet with the Minibar, great for keeping it out of sight, however when you wanted a cuppa, you had to either empty the flowers and water from the side table or empty the things from the desk as there was no-where else to place the tray. The location practically just off Oxford Street was excellent. It took us just 10 minutes to walk to The Ivy and 15 to Covent Garden."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of June 2005

Another Great Stay at the Montague

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"This is the first time I had stayed at the Montague as a business traveller, I normally stay at the weekends with my family. Was I treated differently? No, the welcome from reception and the concierge was as warm as ever. Check in is easy, and I was asked if I would like my luggage taken to my room. I didn't even have to ask. I was given a ground floor king size room (see pictures).

The rooms are all different at the Montague - no two rooms are the same (as far as I am aware), as the shape of the hotel is unique. The room was clean and functional. My only small gripe was that if you sat in the chair at the desk/dressing table in the room I was allocated, you couldn't get out easily. There wasn't much room between the chair and the bed!

My room had fresh fruit and water in it, a nice touch.

The bathroom was fine, although the jacuzzi bath wasn't working, but I reallly wasn't that bothered. The shower is something else, it does tend to go over the shower screen onto the wall - be warned! but it is a good refreshing shower with plenty of hot water. My room had slippers and bathrobes...just what you need to feel relaxed after a long day.

There were also an assortment of magazines to read in the room, which were up to date and also included a useful London magazine.

I had room service. I ordered a chicken salad + dessert + half bottle of wine. But you can't order a half bottle of wine before 11pm. So I ordered a glass of wine instead, as there is no mini bar in the room. What actually came was a hot chicken dish looking nothing like a salad. The waiter really wanted me to have this dish, even though I hadn't ordered it, he even said he would discount it to the price of the salad. But I insisted on what I had ordered and off he went. He came back with something resembling what I had ordered, but then tried to charge me for the original dish he had brought. So I asked him to go back and return in 15 minutes with the correct bill. But the hotel were very nice about this, and although couldn't understand the confusion, did everything to put the matter right.

Breakfast was leisurely. I just had continental with pastries/toast/cereal/fresh fruit/cheeses etc., it set me up for a long days meeting. The check out was as friendly as the check in...they even gave me directions to my meeting place.

All in all a friendly little hotel, ideally situated not far from the tube/british museum/oxford street etc., the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the rooms are airconditioned. Just a little attention needed to those showers!"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of June 2005

Wonderful stay!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Just returned from a three nights at the Montague, and we were very pleased. Yes, the rooms are very tiny (we stayed in a standard), but the beds are extremely comfortable and the bathrooms are quite nice, in a tiny kind of way. The decore is a perfect fit for the hotel. The gardens in the back are lovely, and the bar is so very comfortable after a day of sights. The staff was very friendly, although they did try to "upgrade" (upcharge) our room as soon as we got there. We loved the area, very close to the tube, and easy walking distance to Covent Garden. Extremely quiet for sleeping, for which we were very thankful. Would definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of June 2005

Excellent stay in Loverly London

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I had an excellent stay at the Montague for 4 days in June. The staff was very polite and helpful - especially Mr. Vijay Singh (Yeah, he gets that all the time), and the concierge staff. Remember that a "double" means two people - not necessarily two beds, so confirm your arrangements before you get there. The room was about as large as can be expected outside of the states, and I agree about the shower, but using the hand-held part worked better to keep the water off of the floor. The hotel is in a great area, in that the street is very quiet; it's across from the British Museum and very close to a park, several restaurants, Soho, shopping on Oxford Ave., and the tube.

The coffee/tea service (regular and decaf instant coffee, cocoa and teas) in the room is a very nice touch and the drinks in the evening are wonderful. We also had a happy hour of sorts on the Thursday evening of our trip, with excellent music and drink specials.

I would definitely stay at the Montague again!"

• Travel date: Tue 14th of June 2005

Just average

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Inconsistency is probably the operative word with this hotel. Reading earlier reviews, one sees varying opinions on this hotel. This probably can be attributed to the fact that the small rooms vary in the degree of smallness and the fact that personnel vary in terms of friendliness and professionalism.

Is IS attractive. The decor is very nice and gives one a sense of gracious old England.

The rooms ARE small. Ours must have been one of the smaller ones although it did overlook the garden. We "rolled" with it and actually laughed a lot about how ridiculous the whole situation was. This room had a desk and a round table lined up across one wall with a cabinet closet. If one of us sat at the desk, it was necessary to get up to let the other pass. And there was absolutely NO WAY we could have used the round table, even if we'd had two chairs. And there was NO WAY to put another chair in that room. Believe me, cooperation and good humor were necessary to coexist in that room. I know European rooms are smaller, but we have traveled extensively, and I can not think of another room that approached this tiny size. And this room wasn't cheap.

Inconsistency. As we waited to register, I heard another guest praising a staff member who had been gracious to him the previous day. The desk staff was stiff and unaccomodating to us. When we returned to our room at 2 pm and found it uncleaned, I called to request that it be cleaned and was rather abruptly told that they "have a schedule to keep." After it was cleaned, we noticed that wash cloths, bottled water, and tea biscuits had not been replaced. A call to request these items was not graciously received, and I was also told that you only get free bottled water on the first day (two small bottles). I thought that if I paid the same price each day, I should expect the same amenities each day. Who knew? In addition, don't fall for the offer of delivering a paper to your room in the morning only to find out they charge a pound each day to do so.

One of the concierges and the bellboy and breakfast waitresses were lovely and helpful

Would I stay here again? Unlikely. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to the British Museum, but there are many other hotels that probably offer you more value. Keep looking. You never know if you'll be the one to be given a room the size of a postage stamp and be treated like you are bothering the desk personnel."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of June 2005

Great Little Hotel

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Montague for 8 nights at the beginning of June. We had an excellent stay. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the housekeeping was immaculate, and the hotel is beautifully decorated. We were particularly pleased with the concierge service. The only reason I did not give 5 stars was because of the size of the rooms, but hey it's London not Oklahoma. The bathroom was very large, but the shower was sort of strange. The shower door only covered about 1/3 of the actual shower and I'm not sure how one is supposed to take a shower without getting water everywhere. Oh well. Bloomsbury is a great area to be in. The street the hotel is on is very quiet. We requested a garden room and really enjoyed it!"

• Travel date: Sat 11th of June 2005