Lobby

• bath shower
  • hair dryer
  • baggage storage
  • car hire
  • express check in check out
  • currency exchange
  • 24 hour security
  • on demand movies
  • laptop safe

Good

Acceptable, but will not return

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"I specifically booked this hotel, since it is literally above Victoria Station, steps from the Tube, and incredibly convenient to the Gatwick Express. I was looking for Marriott quality with train station conveniences, but was disappointed. I had booked a ROH (Run of House) room rate through Funjet, and after some education of the front desk clerk, the manager on duty finally acquiesed and approved my early check-in early into an upgraded and refurbished "Executive" room. (After extensive pricing research, Funjet did have the best rates for this property.) The matchbox size room was quiet, but I had requested a room on the side side facing away from train station. The closet by the front door was large, but all clothing had to be managed from it. There were NO drawers in room. The TV sat on a small dresser with the hot water pot, fridge, and safe within. The empty minibar fridge was handy, as was the small safe. In-room coffee was a horrible instant...bring some single serve packets and your own creamer and sweetner, or a small drip coffee maker like in most every room in America. The mattress was one of the worst I have ever slept upon...completely collapsed and needed to be discarded. There were very few TV channels...just the dry BBC, CNN, Bloomberg Business, and the like (but with a hour of Teletubbies preempting the news on 2 different channels in the morning). There was 5+ minute wait for hot water, but when it arrived the pressure was good and the water near scalding. The continental breakfast was mediocre...much worse than what one would get at a Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn. Certainly don't pay extra for the full breakfast...the only difference is the addition of mystery meat and eggs. There is a mini-mall / food court in the rear of Victoria station which was handy for needed purchases, but at a price premium. The entire area was busy and crowded 24/7. It appears Thistle hotels is not a chain per se, but a large marketing group (like Best Western). This hotel is actually the Grosvenor, dba Thistle Victoria. It was an OK hotel for English business travellers, but the standards simply aren't what we are accustomed to in the states. Next time I will lug my bag further on to a property more attuned to American standards."

• Travel date: 2nd April 2004

Absolutely fabulous stay at the Thistle Victoria

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Stayed for 6 nights at the Thistle Victoria. Hotel is above Victoria Station and has its own entrance to same which was very helpful when weather was bad. Staff at hotel was very friendly and helpful. Room was terrific and had a view of Big Ben and London Eye. Bathroom was comfy, large and even had a towel heater!!. Restaurant was wonderful. Dinner was delectable and continental breakfast was very tasty. Even when we woke up past closing time for breakfast one day, maitre de let us sit down and eat. Concierge was great and helpuful in all matters. All in all a very, very enjoyable stay. I would definitely stay there again"

• Travel date: 31st March 2004

Location, location, location

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Location, location, location. We stayed at the Thistle Victoria in February, 2004. The location was PERFECT to get to all of the London sites, and to pick up the tours for out-of-town. We knew the hotel was next to Victoria Station, but did not realize until day three that you can access the hotel directly from the station without ever going outside-- look for awning near main ticket office(closed circuit security made it safe). The station has a food court that stays open until 11 p.m.- just right for returning from a busy day of sightseeing, if you skipped dinner, or after the theater. Strongly recommend getting the week-long tube pass. Victoria tube station (same complex) easily connects to any line you need to get anywhere in London easily. Hotel gets a 5 on location, good neighborhood, convenience. Short walk to changing of the guard (also check out inspection of the guard- no crowd). Only gave it a 4 overall since front desk people not friendly, concierge staff completely clueless, small rooms (but expected), and not sufficeint elevators (get on in one area, need to cross over on 4th floor). Breakfast was good- efficient in terms of timing. Overall, had a great time and would definitley stay here again."

• Travel date: 29th March 2004

Wonderful!!!

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I cannot say enough great things about the Thistle Victoria, the staff was very helpful and the location is the best in London. Victoria Station is the hub for the tube, bus and trains out of and in London. We stayed in what they call the new wing and had a marvelous view of London."

• Travel date: 28th March 2004

Fraudulent charges

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"Just came back from my vacation to find out that Thistle Victoria charged me for the restaurant service that I never received or requested. At the hotel check out I found out that somebody charged a restaurant dinner to my hotel room. Well, I never went to the hotel restaurant and never ordered any room service. So, somebody in the hotel charged 53-pounds dinner to my room. The hotel assured me that their charges were wrong and I will not be charged for the restaurant service. I came back to the States to find out that they charged my credit card for that dinner. I was lucky to remember the name of the girl who was checking me out of the hotel; the first day I called her she said she would check with the accounting to make sure I receive the credit. That never happened. I called her today, now she says that there is my signature on the dinner receipt and I have to pay for the service. Well, that kind of fraud and service ruins my whole good impressions of the Thistle Victoria and London vacation."

• Travel date: 4th March 2004

Dont get suckered into staying here, much better bargains close by

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"This place was an over priced dump. I was put in a room on the 7th floor that took 2 elevators and a flight of stairs just to get to. Ugh! The room was tiny, smelly, and old. The bed was very uncomfortable, as were the hard flat pillows. If you have much luggage, you'll be lugging it yourself. The location is great, but since the Underground and taxi service are so convenient from many locations, don't get suckered into thinking you must stay in the heart of things. I also stayed a mile away at the Dolphin for a few nights, and it was a first class two bedroom suit for not much more money than this dump. I will NEVER stay here again."

• Travel date: 3rd March 2004

Wonderful place to stay

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"My wife and I just returned from a seven day stay at the Thistle Victoria, accompanied by our daughter and her daughter, who stayed in a separate room. While the hotel is old, it is also very attractive and in a superlative location. We have spent a lot of time in Europe both on business and pleasure trips, and I would classify the Victoria as a nice European style hotel, which is what we wanted. Our rooms were both quite large, in the older section of the facility, and aside from being just a bit threadbare, were very nice, with good bathrooms and very comfortable mattresses. The hotel staff, almost without exception, was pleasant and very accommodating. We had the continental breakfast included in our rate, and it was very good, with more variety than I really expected. We had a couple of minor problems (a poorly closing bathroom door and a missing remote) that were taken care of in record time. They did offer to change our rooms, but we didn't feel that was necessary. Everything in London is easily accessible from there, including Buckingham Palace which is just a short walk away. The underground, busses and trains are colocated with the hotel at Victoria Station with direct indoor access. We didn't have to get cold or wet. An extra bonus. Would we stay there again? Yes, we would, with great pleasure."

• Travel date: 24th February 2004

Had an excellent stay at the Thistle Victoria

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"My husband, children, and I just returned from a five-night stay at the Thistle Victoria. We reserved two rooms: a triple and a twin. The twin was a little tight, but the triple was a pretty good size with two chairs and a table and room for the kids to play. We made reservations through the Thistle directly and got a web deal. It was still relatively expensive, but included the full English breakfast. Breakfast was served in a very elegant room and service was good. The food was set up on a buffet table. We enjoyed the whole experience and even my picky kids ate very well. When I made my reservations, I wanted an English hotel, and not a typical American-type hotel. The Thistle Victoria was beautiful, but it is old and quirky. I thought the hotel was well maintained and very clean. It took us two days to figure out that we needed to take one elevator to the third floor in order to get to our room on the fourth floor in the next wing. Our sink was clogged when we arrived. I called the front desk and within 10 minutes a service man arrived and fixed the problem. Our room overlooked the bus circle. We had views of the London Eye and I think the roof of Buckingham Palace. It was really fun to make tea in the room and sit by the window and watch London go by. Right outside the hotel were many buses which we took quite often. The tube was right near the hotel and the hotel can be accessed from the train station. There is a little shopping mall and several inexpensive restaurants at the station. There are also at least two grocery stores very close. Some of the previous reviews worried me, but we had a very nice stay at the Thistle Victoria and I would stay again. We visited in February when I am sure there are no crowds, but our experience was very positive."

• Travel date: 19th February 2004

Loved the Thistle Victoria!

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"I stayed at the Thistle Victoria in May 2002 with my Father and 2 sisters for a week. The staff was great, the hotel was gorgeous and service was fantastic. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would stay over and over again. A truly great hotel."

• Travel date: 11th February 2004

A Delightful Hotel!

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"We stayed 2 nights at The Victoria and had a great experience. We did request a room in the renovated wing away from the train station announcements, and it was lovely. The location is excellent, especially since we arrived by train from Gatwick, and it's proximity to all the top attractions is perfect. The staff was very polite and helpful as well. I would definitley return to The Victoria on subsequent visits to London."

• Travel date: 9th February 2004