Exterior

Good

Just the best in LONDON!

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"June of 2006 was our 6th visit to the hotel. We have stayed in many of the rooms, find them extremely nice. The staff is great. The restaurant delicious. The Goring is now our London home; we wouldn't stay anywhere else. Yes, it's expensive, but so is all of London. We are now making our plans to return in June 2007."

• Travel date: 11th January 2007

An oasis

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"I've been staying at The Goring for over a decade and look forward to every return trip. I spend far too many nights in hotels around the world, but only at The Goring do people greet me by name when I walk in the door. I've seen comments about the decor of the rooms. In my view, this is not a hotel where you hole up in the room to hide from the world. One of the best features is the lounge, which is a great place for a drink, a light meal, and for just hanging around where Brian and the staff will take very good care of you. And, Jeremy Goring is likely to drop by to make sure you are being cared for. This is a hotel that is about people, service and relationships -- and is unlike any other in the world."

• Travel date: 16th December 2006

Needs updating

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Some aspects of this hotel are fine: good location; reception staff pleasant enough; fine but not outstanding restaurant; clean rooms. But five star? Sadly, no. We had a 1-bedroom suite located on the second floor. Although both the bedroom and drawing room were of a reasonable size, both were dreadfully dated, with tired-looking decor and unappealing funishings. The TV in the drawing room was abysmal - actually, a poor quality PC monitor! The bathroom was of an acceptable size, but again dated, tired and in need of renovation. Service was reasonably quick, but room service in particular needs to buck their ideas up. When accepting an order for afternoon tea their reply should be "certainly, Sir" or even better to address the client by name. "OK. Alright. It'll be with you in a bit" is just sloppy! The restaurant decor is pleasant, with muted yet warm colours, comfortable chairs and polite service. The rather flickery, grey light from the straggly LED ceiling lights leaves a lot to be desired, as does getting our main course order wrong! The food itself is unremarkable. In its current state of repair The Goring is in reality a rather down-at-heel four star, with high prices, service that aspires to mediocrity but a nice enough location. The Sofitel in St James offers more for less outlay and would be my choice of the two."

• Travel date: 13th December 2006

How Did This One Get A 5 Star Rating?

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Beware of room 113 in this hotel. Charges of the order of 329 pounds per night - small, dark, depressing and ill appointed room that needs urgent refurbishing. This hotel does not warrant its 5 star status, and cannot compare to some of the other well known London names. Perhaps trading on bygone reputation. Area around Victoria Station not the best. Deputy Manager seemed surprised that I cancelled my additional nights, and was prepared to find me a better room?? Apparently it was news to him that room 113 was not attractive. He could have handled the situation substantially better. Perhaps he might try sleeping in this room for one night. I felt so strongly about the charges and the poor room I had received that I cancelled my return trip which was scheduled for a few days later, and headed off for the safety of another 5 star property in the West End. Need I say more. Staff, with the exception of this Manager, tried to be helpful and efficient, but were the overall charges justified - no. The Athenaeum produces much better service and rooms that are infinitely more comfortable. You are warned."

• Travel date: 12th December 2006

Superb Hotel

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"We booked this hotel very much last minute and therefore got a very reasonable price. The Goring is classy with a wonderful atmosphere, attentive staff and spotlessly clean. Huge rooms and bathrooms and wonderfully comfortable bed. Will certainly go back and recommend to all."

• Travel date: 16th October 2006

Friendly elegance

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Lovely hotel in a great location (near Buckingham Palace, easy walk to St. James Park, Victoria Station, etc. - but on quiet side street.) Service was excellent, personal, and had a genuine warmth and friendliness. Rooms and all public areas very clean! (Big deal to us.) Bedding comfortable, room arrangement good. Concierge swiftly and calmly arranged for house doctor and follow up trips to 24-hr chemist on Sunday evening when one of our party, an elderly heart patient, had forgotten to pack the vital medicine. Decor feels appropriately "English," but is updated, warm, and all funtional necessities are updated. Ask for a room with Barbara sheep :)"

• Travel date: 6th October 2006

Fantastic!

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"Top quality hotel, excellent personal but non-intrusive service but thenm you would expect that for the price that you pay. We went to celebrate our anniversary and it was the perfect location for it!"

• Travel date: 21st September 2006

Good for tourists with money to spare...

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Having booked our stay via a hotel website, the price was a greatly reduced £150 a night but, as soon as I stepped inside the room, I cancelled our second! For a 5* hotel in central London the price isn't bad but, beware, The Goring has some tiny rooms and they wont be afraid to give them to you! The bathroom was nice with Molton Brown products but, averagely sized as it was, it was almost the same size as the dim, claustrophobic room. The service was extremely good and the staff friendly and helpful. We ate at the restaurant and I couldn't fault the food. I had an eggy favourite of the Queen Mother's to start and salmon for main, while my husband had beef tartare and best bit of lamb. All of the ingredients tasted fresh and were well-prepared, with delicious vegetables and potatoes to accompany included in the price. Not so good for vegetarians though. The only problem was that it was £38 each for two courses (plus £4 extra for the lamb; I restrained myself from choosing the Dover Sole because of the £8 supplement) so, including wine and 12.5% service charge, it was a lot of money. Whilst I can't complain about what we received, it doesn't reflect value for money; that price could quite easily get you a three course meal in similar hotels. We treated ourselves to afternoon tea the next day. We were there half an hour before the usual 3.30pm serving time. We didn't at all mind ordering a cup of tea to drink whilst waiting for the half hour to pass (although a truly good 5* wouldn't mention the fact that you were early but would do everything to accomodate you regardless). The afternoon tea came, served beautifully. We were a little unsure as to how many teas we had ordered: plates came with two scones and cream, but then only one finger of each of the four types of sandwich and only one of each variety of miniature cake (the miniscule battenburg was rock stale anyway), including only one small square of the much-boasted of speciality fruit cake, which was specifically mentioned as a significant element of each single afternoon tea. Nonetheless, the bill came and we were charged £17.50 per head - two halves of a finger sandwich and half of a few cakes added up to that amount each, PLUS, the "2 tea and biscuits" we had apparently ordered (being the interim-filling cups of tea - no biscuits were served whatsoever) came to whoppingly cheeky £10. Including the 12.5% service charge it was £50 for two cuppas and some fussy fairy cakes. Whilst we enjoyed ourselves, The Goring really does not offer value for money. It has the version of English charm that is slightly contrived for the American tourist; my heart sank when I saw a brassy kiosk next to the check-in desk brimming with bright and leary leaflets and bustour posters. I would advise the English couple looking for a quiet London break choose the far superior Number Eleven Cadogan Gardens, which, it appears to be, just cannot be beaten."

• Travel date: 12th September 2006

True British Class in the Heart of London

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Our stay at the Goring was like a window opening on upper crust British culture. Sitting in the lounge at tea time is great people watching oppourtunity. The staff are friendly and helpful, they would go through a lot of trouble to help the customer. The food is good if you want to eat expensive and fancy food every night but many casual pubs are only a short walk away. The rooms are a nice sive with beautiful bathrooms to complete the setting. The hotel is also centerally located; within walking distance of Buckingham Palace, Parliment and Westminster Abbey. The hotel appeals to a mainly British croud but, as Americans we treated like family as well. The Goring is a Triumph for British high society and one of the great hotels of London it was a joy staying at The Goring and being in a London in a true British sense. Bob Gaffey, New Jersey, USA"

• Travel date: 9th August 2006

I love the gorgeous Goring!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I took my wife to stay at The Goring for our wedding anniversary and it has earned me a lot of brownie points! The welcoming staff and comfortable surroundings were just as I had hoped, and my wife adored the little extras in the room (that's as well as the funny sheep that popped up everywhere!) Location was great for central London, but the fact that it is tucked away a bit removes you from the city when you step inside the hotel. We also had a fabulous champagne afternoon tea on the terrace on our actual anniversary. I highly recommend this lovely haven to anyone for a weekend to treat yourself."

• Travel date: 31st July 2006