St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel

54 Buckingham Gate, London SW1E 6AF England

Good

Great Hotel, top Location, mosty good staff.

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I stayed at the crowne from a friday to sunday.
all in all i thought the hotel was great in my opinion,the room was very clean very roomy and an ideal location within minutes of the sights of london, probably 2 mins walk to the palace,also try to get a courtyard view.

I would of given the hotel an excellent rating apart from the odd thing, when arriving I was wearing tracksuits bottoms and trainers just so I would be comfortable on the drive down, upon entering the hotel the gentleman at the concierge desk looked me up and down as if I was something he had stood in and totally ignored me ,had I not been with my family I would have confronted him as I was a little annoyed to say the least,
Although the attendant who helped me to the car park was nothing but charming and courteous and a credit to the hotel.
The reception staff were also first class.
I have stayed at many quality hotels in London, hotel 41,Draycott hotel, and believe this hotel with a little more thought could be just as good for a lot less £.

I would stay again without doubt."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of June 2005

Location, location, location

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Lovely, friendly hotel with an American bent. You'll appreciate the plumbing, I guarantee it. After traveling extensively in the UK this hotel is above average and with the two "bars" and wonderful restaurants it's a sure bet we'll be staying again.

Location is ideal, you can walk everywhere and the tube is steps away. Safe and secure. I recommend it highly."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of May 2005

Will Not Stay There Again

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Checked in at 9 PM to a small room with a window facing a brick wall with an HVAC unit outside, pretty noisy. The room was very hot, the AC did not work. I went down to the desk & asked if they could look at it while I grabbed a bite to eat. Came back & they opened my window, still no AC, to the crappy brick wall & noise!

The room had no hand towels as I disovered at 11:30PM!!

You will need to wait for an elevator, only 2 with 1 working and it stops at every floor going up or down!!!

Next day I complained & got a beautiful room with a view.

OK hotel, convenient to Buckingham Palace"

• Travel date: Fri 6th of May 2005

Visit of London

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Our family of three stayed her for two seperate nights-Sat. March 26th and Friday April 2nd. Our first overnight was great. They were very helpful and breakfast we just wonderful! The location of the hotel is super-a 5 minute walk to Buckingham Palace and a 10 -15 minute walk to the Thames. Our 2nd night, however, was a bit different. Our key would not work in the door, we had to walk to the front desk-not a short walk as the hotel is in an interesting shape-there was a problem with the lock, so my family left the hotel for over 8 hours to sightsee. When we returned, our door was fixed, but we found out that we had no cold water-only scalding hot! Called the front desk and someone was to come up right away-15 minutes went by-finally called back down to ask for another room -we were giving that, but decided that we had too much to carry to another room, especially since it was close to 9pm. Asked for a discount on the room-after management was rude and tried to put the blame on us for the key not intially working!-management said that they would need to check into that-they called back and said, "Yes, we will give you a 30 % room discount." Perfect-we thought. Got down to breakfast in the am only to discover that they would not allow us to have the "breakfast included in you room rate" deal that we had made prior to coming! Talked to management again-no, not included in your room price-luckily I pushed and they finally included it. Very nice. I had a copy of the original confirmation in our room that said b-fast was included. Also, upon checkout, the door man insisted on carrying our bags back into the hotel while we waited for our taxi-once the taxi arrived the doorman tried to scam 10 pounds out of the taxi driver for a tip! Anyway, LOVED the location, Loved the breakfast, Loved that they gave us a discount on our room, but did not love the scamming, nor the difficulties to get into a room, take a bath, etc."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of April 2005

Not a 4-star experience/Watch your luggage

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I traveled to London with a study abroad group of graduate students in March of 05. We stayed several nights, went to France, and then returned to the hotel for one more night before flying home. Unfortunately, I did not have positive experiences with this hotel. I felt that, for a 4 star hotel, the front desk staff was incredibly rude and to top it off one of my friends had his laptop stolen right from the hotel lobby.

First, a little about the hotel: The location is fantastic; it is walking distance to Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. Rooms vary widely in terms of size and distance from the elevator. We stayed at the hotel two separate times, and one time we had an "upgraded" big room near the elevator and another time we had a tiny room buried in some corner of the hotel. The small room had a lovely view of the courtyard. The big room had a view of other hotel rooms. The furniture in the hotel rooms was nice. The lobby is beautiful but does smell like smoke. If you don't smoke, make sure to get on a non-smoking floor because all the other rooms reek of smoke. Breakfast was included in my package, and I found it to be okay. Service in the dining room was good. We did ask for a room with two beds and received a room in which the beds were zipped together. Housekeeping unzipped them for us and moved them apart.

We arrived at our rooms a little early, around noon, and the hotel generously checked us in early. When I keyed into my room, there was a man in it and the smell of furniture solvent emanating from the room about knocked me over. The man explained he was repairing the finish on the furniture and the room was supposed to be empty. He said it wasn't his fault and left. I was jetlagged, and all I really wanted was a nap in a room that wasn't full of toxic fumes. We called the desk and asked for a different room on account of the strong smell of furniture solvent. The desk told us what we smelled was not furniture solvent, but a lavender smell from the inserts from the drawers. I explained it was not the lavender, it was furniture solvent, and then was told it was a "normal" furniture polish smell in the room. The (rude) woman wanted me to wait in the room for who-knows-how-long until they could find us a different room. The air in the room was completely unbreathable, so my roommate and I waited in the hall for a couple minutes and then hauled our luggage back down to the lobby to wait for a room. They did find us another room, but not before the woman at the front desk told us our noses were "overly" sensitive to a "normal" furniture polish smell. At that last comment, if I had not been staying with a group, my response to this woman would have been to immediately take my business elsewhere.

Our last night in Europe, we checked in to the hotel around 10:30pm. My friend's laptop was stolen right from the lobby as he checked in by a man and a woman working together. We found this out after the hotel reviewed the security tape. The hotel said it was "the start of the season." The hotel did buy my friend a drink at the hotel bar.

The morning I was preparing to leave, I had no British pounds but desperately wanted a bottle of water. I tried to buy water from the hotel gift shop but I was not allowed to charge it to my room. I was not allowed to charge it to my credit card, either, because the woman was "new" and did not know how to do credit card sales. She couldn't fetch anyone who could do them, either.

I would not recommend this hotel for leisure travelers and I would not return to it."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of March 2005

51 Buckingham Gate

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I'm not sure how to do this - as I don't want to write a review for the Crowne Plaza itself - instead for its suites located next door at 51 Buckingham Gate.

We recieved an incredible deal for a 1 bedroom suite for a week in London. The bathroom was incredible - huge separate garden tub, shower, fantastic full size molton brown toiletries. the kitchen was well appointed and the washing machine a bonus (for those of us who are used to handwashing our gym clothes). cd player. dvd player. sitting area. television in both bedroom and living room. high sppeed internet and a gym. all amenities and everything modern and serene.

I look back at our week spent here so fondly - it was a like a home away from home.

Go to http://www.51buckinghamgate.com to book ..."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of March 2005

Location Location Location

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"The entrance and lobby are impressive.....polished dark wood, marble, comfy lounge sofas.

The rooms a a little less modern than anticipated after seeing the lobby (as I usually like modern hotels), although my mother described it as quaint English style - so if thats what you are after you may like it. It has everything you need, and is spotless, but it was maybe a little too 'English' for my liking. A bit frilly.

One plus was that our standard room no. 558 had a door opening onto a balcony, where we overlooked the pretty central courtyard with fountain. I imagine on a summers day this would be lovely.

The bathroom is spotless, marble, with great shower. In comparison with my parents rooms next door, our bathroom was smaller but the bedroom bigger, and vice versa for my parents. I personally didn't class the room as small at all. There was a lounge chair, coffee table, 2 bedside tables, a desk, TV with about 10 channels, and mirrored bar alcove, with plenty of room for the 2 of us.

The hotel apparently has a gym, although because we were only there one night we didn't use it. There is also a sauna and jacuzzi but no pool. Also within the hotel are 3 restaurants, and 2 bars. The bar we have visited many times before on previous trips is Zanders, which has the longest bar in Europe. Expect to pay a good 20 for a round, the same applies to the Hampton bar inside the hotel, where a Baileys, 2 whisky & Cokes and a Mai Tai cocktail were 28.

Victoria tube station was baout 5-7 mins walks, past several cafes, cash points and if you must, a Mcdonalds & Burger King - all around the Victoria area.

St James Park tube station is closer, although we didn't use that one.

The best thing for me was the location. It's not too far from the tube, it's on Buckingham gate which always feels very 'London' to me, and you are only 2 mins walk from the Queens house so that can't be bad. I prefer this sort of location rather than being smack bang in the middle of Picadilly.

One of the best parts was getting off at Green Park tube station, and walking through the park, past the palace and then to the hotel, in total only a 15 minute walk.

As a general rule, I really woulnd't worry which area of London you stay in, as long as it's relatively safe, and you are near a tube station, then you are sorted. Although I'd recommend the Crowne Plaza St James - just don't expect the world."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of February 2005

Very nice hotel, will stay again

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed here this past New Year's Eve and had a great time. The room was very clean and well appointed. The marble bath room was very large (for Europe) with amazingly soft bath towels and personal robes with a towel warmer. The room had a great heating system with an electronic thermostat.
The included-buffet breakfast was very filling and had a nice variety of cold and cooked foods. The concierge gave us great tips on where to go and how to beat the crowds, especially on New Year's Eve. You can not beat the location, St. James station is across the street and Buckingham Palace is around the corner. Westminster Abbey is also a short walking distance.
My only complaint was the view. We stared at an empty lot filled with loud vagrants. I tried to get a garden view, but the hotel was completely booked. They claimed there was nothing they could do.
If you want a hotel that is safe, clean, with very large rooms and in a great location this is the hotel for you. You will definitely find cheaper hotels, but this hotel guarantees a wonderful vacation. Just make sure you ask for a garden view!"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of January 2005

Pleasant stay, very convenient location

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"I stayed in a room with a king-sized bed. (I assume it was a "deluxe" or "superior" designation, but I am not sure because it was part of a package.)

The room was spacious, and overlooked a beautiful courtyard. The hotel has at leat 8 floors... I recommend a high floor with the courtyard view.

The baths were modern and very nice. The staff were quite accomodating and helpful and the location is PERFECT. Very close to almost all major tourist destinations.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to the health club, but heard from a friend who used the facilities that was great, too.

I recommend this hotel. I enjoyed it.

p.s. The full breakfast buffet is extremely large and filling!"

• Travel date: Wed 26th of January 2005

Entrance main Lobby stunk always with smokers toxic fumes

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Got a nonsmoking room but apparently in UK it is OK to subject people to it in their main lobby. It was like a pub. Awful. Had to run through it and hold breath. Huge lobby. They had a nonsmoking sign at the check-in desk. What a joke. Those poor employees who chose not to smoke are smoking everyday and every hour. Will never return even if it is a nice old hotel in good location. Expense. London has lots of hotels to choose from and we stayed one night in early December 04. Due to my husband having conference in the east end we moved to the Holiday Inn Express which did not have this smokers section problem in the lobby as it was small. And was not a Crowne Plaza but was extremely clean and well taken care of. The Indian restaurant next door to Crowe Plaza St. James is excellent and voted best in London. We agree."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of December 2004

Hotels near St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel

Stayed at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel? Share your insight.

St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel is also called