Hotel

• babysitting
  • butler service

Great London hotel!

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"Loved this Hotel! So convenient to many great sightseeing places, 100 yards from tube station. Big comfortable room, big sooooooo comfy bed! great reception and concierge. Across the street is the London visitor office, and a great little cafe where you can get a cooked breakfst for 5 pounds - thus avoiding the 20-pound hotel breakfast. This is where I will stay next London visit!"

• Travel date: 5th July 2005

Excellent, in spite of the blackout

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"My mother and I stayed for four nights in June 2005. We loved this hotel for its location, service, and comfort, which were all outstanding. The bathrooms are lovely, the beds luxurious, and the service highly attentive. The only thing I would change would be to give more closet/drawer space for wardrobe. The bathrooms are quite nice. The hotel's public rooms are handsome and comfortable. The restaurant service could be a bit more organized, but then we had dinner in the Cafe Roux restaurant the evening after a blackout. What does a hotel do when its generator breaks down and there is no electricity, running water or phone service? That's what happened to us one night during our stay. Well, it began at 1:00 in the afternoon, and ended the next morning. The staff at this hotel did the best job they could under the circumstances. They had us move to the Soho House (and paid the cab fare) for one night. It was actually quite an adventure, as Soho House gave us a suite. Sofitel St. James paid for the difference in cost. We returned to Sofitel the next day, as they tried very hard to make this necessary trip as pleasant as possible. (We got free drinks, some free breakfast items, and numerous apologies for a problem they could not have helped really.) We dined in the restaurant the evening after the blackout, and I attribute the slight slackening in service to the fact that some of the staff had only had about three hours of sleep. I would definitely return to Sofitel. The location (near so many attractions yet so quiet) made it easy for my first visit to London. I slept better at this hotel than I have in years. I thought it was a very god value, given the dollar's weakness. Note, join the Sofitel's frequent stay program before you book your reservation. It gets you some extra perks. Cheers!"

• Travel date: 1st July 2005

Elegant, Centrally Located Hotel

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at the Sofitel St. James. It was a bit pricey (£300+) but that was the best price at the time. The price is generally much lower, but there were three of us sharing a deluxe room. There were many PROS and just a few CONS described below: PROS: 1. Unbeatable location: it is within minutes of tube stations, and the hotel is near many attractions (i.e. National Gallery, Trafalgar Sq., Piccadilly Circle). For those who want to watch "Phantom of the Opera", the theatre is literally behind the hotel. In fact, the hotel is located in the theatre district. 2. Super comfortable beds with pillow top-like mattress. 3. Extremely clean room with spacious bathroom, reflecting a relatively new, modern and well-kept hotel. 4. Attentive staff (requests were fulfilled within minutes). 5. Spacious deluxe room, even with an extra second bed in the room. 6. Quiet location. 7. Nice amenities, such as slippers and free small bottles of Evian water. CONS: 1. Tub drains too slowly. 2. Hairdryer is in a drawer underneath TV table instead of in the bathroom so there was no mirror (this appears to be the case in many London hotels). 3. View of an office bldg and hotel generator of some sort, even though the hotel clerk indicated there would be a garden view. It was not really an issue since we were out sightseeing for most of the time. Overall, we thought it was fantastic hotel that is very clean and modern. I didn't give it a 5-star, as this rating, in my opinion, is reserved for superior resort hotels and true 5-star hotels with truly excellent service and amenities to match (i.e. Four Seasons)."

• Travel date: 23rd May 2005

excellent

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"We were in the Sofitel St. James hotel from the 12 th till the 15 th of may2005.We had a excellent stay and the hotel was one of the nicest I've ever stayed.Excellent location near Piccadilly. Very friendly staff. Because of my birthday I was upgraded to a deluxe room. We had very good breakfast and dinner and we were sleeping in excellent beds.The room was very quiet.Looking forwards to a next stay."

• Travel date: 15th May 2005

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"Stayed for one night for a very good rate as I booked online with Sofitel. Could not fault the hotel at all in any way. Rooms are spacious, gorgeous and have everything you need. Staff were excellent. Looked after our bags for the day when we checked out. Within working distance of Oxford Street, Covent Garden, most theatres. We didnt need the tube. Will be returning asap. One more thing the beds are so comfortable you wont want to get up in the morning!!"

• Travel date: 8th May 2005

Best Valued 5-Star Hotel

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"This was a very comfortable and quiet hotel. You could hear very little or no street noise inside the room which I've found to be unusual for any London hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I only eat breakfast at the hotel (which was good) but the restaurant had a decent menu. Price was reasonable at £120 excluding breakfast on a Sunday."

• Travel date: 29th April 2005

Excellent Hotel - Will definitely return

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"I will definitely return to this hotel, excellent location not two minutes from piccadilly circus and less than ten minutes to oxford st, we were able to walk everywhere and didnt need taxis or tube. the hotel itself is a 5 star, large classy rooms, lovely bathroom with extra strong shower, bathrobes, slippers, everything you might need. we had no trouble organising a late check out, extra hangers, nothing was a problem. when you come back at night they have cleaned the room a second time, emptied all the bins etc, turned down the bedsheets and left out slippers and a bottle of evian for each guest, very nice touch! newspapers are delivered to the room each morning. we booked online and got a classic room for stg £130 per night, i thought this was excellant considering i had stayed in more expensive london hotels which turned out to be horribly substandard (Grange Holborn, Jurys Kensington.) This was fantastic value for money and I will definitely return. The only negative I would mention is that the breakfast is extremely expensive at stg £23. We chose to eat out instead so I cant actually say whether it would have been worth it or not!"

• Travel date: 26th April 2005

Great Hotel!

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"We spent 3 nights here last week, and had selected the hotel based on earlier comments in the forum. It's an absolutely fantastic property! Great location, the room was quite posh for the money - excellent bedding, and nice amenities throughout. Just a couple of blocks from Picadilly Circus with tube links to everywhere. I'd highly recommend this hotel - I was unsure if the room would be large enough by our usual US standards - it's absolutely big enough for a couple in a regular room! Very large bathroom with excellent fixtures and a great soaking bathtub and good toiletries! Have travelled extensively, and this hotel absolutely exceeded my expectations. It's one of those hotels that is nice, a touch of luxury, but not pretentious. That to me is a hard balance to have a hotel maintain - yet this hotel definitely does it well! Highly recommend this hotel if you're planning a vacation to London."

• Travel date: 23rd April 2005

Excellent, Centrally Located Hotel

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"We stayed at the Sofitel St. James for one week near Easter. The hotel was excellent. Clean, comfortable, great service, great plumbing (in comparison to other London hotels), reasonable price for the accomodations, and otherwise First Class. Would stay again."

• Travel date: 11th April 2005

Wonderful location and hotel

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"Stayed 2 nights over a weekend in March 2005. Paid 140 Euros excl VAT. Nice room - small-ish, but not so that you feel uncomfortable and cramped. Par for the course in London. The room was quiet, beautifully decorated (especially the bathroom). The bistro style restaurant downstairs had a nice theatre dinner menu that was good value as well as being plain good. The location is excellent too - especially for the West End. And if you're travelling light, Piccadilly Circus tube station is literally 3 minutes walk away. I plan to stay there again on my next trip to London."

• Travel date: 26th March 2005