Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel

Exterior

fantastic

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"this was a very last minute decision to stay in central London on new year's eve and I was expecting the normal irritations - problem with booking, unfriendly staff, tiny room, noisy etc. Am delighted to say I experienced NONE of this at the Radisson Edwardian! I arrived late afternoon and the reception/check in staff were friendly and efficient. My room was lovely - a big single bed by anyone's standards, a furry comforter which was very comforting, good size clean bathroom and huge heavy drapes which helped to shut out the city noise and the wind/rain. After an hour or so of checking in I got a call from reception to ask me if everything was OK and did I need anything - I thought that was particularly impressive especially as they looked busy on new year's eve. I checked out equally quickly and I have to say I'll be recommending this hotel to everyone. Thank you for a lovely stay."

• Travel date: 1st January 2007

Not bad for central London

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"Don't be put off by some of the poor reviews, this hotel isn't that bad and has one of the best locations in covent garden. We stayed from 29th-31st December, double room on the 3rd floor. The rooms are small but when staying in central London you have to ask yourself how long you intend to stay in your hotel room!. The hotel is right in the middle of the theatre district with most shows within 10minutes walk we saw Mary Poppins (5 mins walk) and The Lion King (10 mins walk), coupled with being only 5 minutes from the tube stations at either covent garden or leicester square you can't go wrong if you want a decent hotel in a great location. Providing you don't pay full price the hotel is excellent value, shop around on the internet and you should be able to get a room B&B for between £105 and £125 per night."

• Travel date: 31st December 2006

Don't bother

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"The one thing that the hotel can do nothing about is its only strength - its location We booked at the last minute and booked an upgraded room. When we checked in (at the second attempt - when we first turned up they did not have our booking), the room was little more than a converted cupboard - we could not even lay our small cases on the floor. The ceiling was low and the aircon/heating oppresively loud. The "curtain" harldy kept out any light. When we pointed out the mistake, reception thought of a thousand excuses not to sort it out (maybe we could move to another Radisson, for example, but not just yet their computers were down and woudl take hours ot fix!). London is a huge tourist city, and that is why this place survives, it does not care that people will not return, as Heathrow will provide it with a constant source of new punters. Avoid"

• Travel date: 23rd December 2006

Disaster

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"Stayed overnight in this hotel mid week. Excellent central location although offered a twin room when paid for a deluxe. Was up on the 7th floor and was annoyed all night by the noise of a large generator. Ear plugs are a must! The breakfast offered was excellent and there is a nice bar within the hotel (although vodka is overpriced and over-iced)."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2006

Beware of Overcharging!!!

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in the Mountbatten many times due to its excellent location. What I dont like is the constant attempt to overcharge. I recently stayed in a Standard Room and paid the amount that is normally charged for a Suite or a Deluxe Room. Please make sure that you are getting the room and the value you are paying for."

• Travel date: 21st November 2006

Liked it a lot

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"Selected this particular hotel because of its location. Situated 5 Mins walk from Leicester Sq its an ideal base for seeing the sights and theatreland. The rooms are quite small yet well appointed and very clean, many thanks to Fatima for our room service. Check in and out was swift, and all staff were very polite and pleasant well worth a visit"

• Travel date: 13th November 2006

honeymoon sight seeing

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"An excellent base for sight seeing everywhere theatres etc. within a short walk. Staff were friendly beyond the call of duty. Would certainly stay again. Highly recommended"

• Travel date: 11th October 2006

Had a Great Time!

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"I spent a long weekend in London over the Labor Day weekend wiih my sister giving her some brotherly support (breakup, tears, etc., etc.) and wanted to find a place near Covent Garden & SoHo; I correctly thought that a lively 'hood might cheer her up. Boy, did I choose correctly! The Mountbatten is in the PERFECT neighborhood (Seven Dials) for shopping, theater, music, dance, museums, restaurants....so near Covent Garden, Leicester Square and the afore-mentioned SoHo that we hardly used the Underground or taxis. The neighborhood itself is charming and funky, and reminded me somewhat of my own neighborhood of Chelsea in NYC. My room was comfortable (the bed was great, the bath was clean and served its purpose) and while on the small side, as another reviewer pointed out, one doesn't spend all that much time in one's room during a trip to London, so the fact that it wasn't cavernous was not a problem with me. It was immaculate, housekeeping cleaned the room everyday (including Sunday, which surprised me,) the newspapers placed outside the door everyday were greatly appreciated (you'd be surprised how many establishments do not bother with this amenity nowadays) and at an average of $290.00 per night for central London, I was very pleased. I did not eat in the hotel's restaurant, but did have drinks in the lobby bar, and the staff were attentive, pleasant and friendly, as were the concierge and front-desk personnel. Unless there had been major changes subsequent to the recent negative reviewers' stays, I really can't understand why they had such unpleasant experiences. My stay was great, and I'd definately return."

• Travel date: 22nd September 2006

We'd Stay Again - Brilliant Location

Reviewed 29th December 2012

"We booked this on londontown.com it was a secret hotel booking, I must admit when the name was confirmed I was worried given the amount of poor reviews in here but I needn't have worried. Great Location, clean & modern, yes rooms & bathrooms are small to be expected in central london & in London your out most of the time anyway. (de-luxe rooms may be bigger but for the extra expense is it worth it!) We paid £95 a night Tax included which given london hotel prices is great, you could pay the same for a crappy 2 star. ?Having said that I wouldn't pay £200 a night for it. We also did a pre check in on-line on the raddison website which was great we requested an early check-in, a room on a higher floor and a quiet room and all needs were met, our room keys were ready on arrival and it took 2 mins to complete check in. Breakfast not included was £18 obviously we didn't have the breakfast! There's tons of nice places locally in Soho, Govent Garden etc and its far more enjoyable to get out of the hotel to breakfast, we had lovely food for £15 in total for 2. In summary don't pay full wack for it, book on-line deals, eat out for breakfast and you can't go too far wrong with this hotel."

• Travel date: 4th September 2006

loved the hotel

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"location is absolutely great u cant beat it.We stayed at this hotel me and the wife for our anniversary and within minutes of our arrival a bottle of wine was sent to the room compliments of the hotel (nice touch). The room was lovely albeit small but hey it was comfortable.Concierge were very helpful.breakfast was good unfortunately we were busy eating out did not sample the dinner."

• Travel date: 12th July 2006