Exterior

Great for the money!!

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Norfolk Plaza and was very pleased with what I got for my money. I was booked into a single room, but put into a twin room (had prepaid with expedia). The room and bathroom (tub with shower) were larger than I expected. It was not fancy, but clean and comfortable. I didn't think the breakfast was worth the price, but I was only getting the buffet and don't eat meat. The only internet access was dial-up and it was very slow dial-up. That said, for the price it was a great place to stay and I would definitely stay there again. It's a great location for both places to eat and Paddington Station."

• Travel date: 19th March 2005

Pleasantly Surprised

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"We chose the Norfulk Plaza because it had the best reviews of the hotels offered by the tour company we were using.. We chose it with fear and trembling because it had mixed reviews and we had no experience with Eurpoean hotels but had not heard great things. We were pleasantly surprised. We were please with our accommodation, a front room on 2nd floor. The room was clean, we had plenty of towels and hot water. The room would get a little warm occasionally but the windows opened so there was no problem. We had closet space, a small desk and chest and 2 chairs. The bath was small but not uncomfortably so and had a tub/shower combination. The location was very handy to Paddington Station. We had the "Continental Breakfast" which was rolls with butter and jelly, ceral, juice and coffee or tea. We did find it interesting that our only problem was communication. We are English speaking only and I don't believe that English was the first language for anyone working in the hotel. Every employee was always polite and courteous; we just had trouble understanding and being understood when we had questions. I rated the hotel 3 because it was average in comparison to similar accommodations in America. I would stay there again and I would recommend it."

• Travel date: 5th March 2005

Terrible!

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"This hotel is just terrible if you get a room in the basement. This is our worst stay in a hotel ever. The room was cold with a wet and unpleasant air. I must say that I have experienced more comfort in a tent in - 10 degrees Celsius then this room. In addition, we only got a useless and a dirty blanket. When we turned on the radiator the temp was ok but the bathroom was still very cold. However, the next morning the room was extremely cold again. When I informed the staff that the radiator didn’t work anymore they told me that the heating system had a timer. I explained that it was too cold in the room without the heating on and ask them not to turn it off. The next night they kept the heating system on for a bit longer time but turned it off again during the night. Although the lobby was great and the hotel looked ok besides of the rooms in the basement. The breakfast was also ok. The location is great!"

• Travel date: 1st March 2005

Good Location

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"I stayed here one night for a Business Trip on 23 Feb 05. It has a great location for the Heathrow express at Paddington and thats why i chose it. It is a bog standard 3 star hotel, it aint the Hilton and it aint a Hostel. The reception and downstiars bar are misleading as they are modern, bright and pleasent. The rest of the Hotel is tired, a little rickety and not as pleasent. My room was clean and comfortable, mini bar and TV, trouser press all excellent, small bathroom a down side. Overall this Hotel will be acceptable or not depending on the price. I think any more than £75 per night is too much for what you get. Staff, breakfast and location spot on, if you want trendy decor and bright modern living then dont book a room, sleep in the reception or bar area!"

• Travel date: 25th February 2005

Avoid, if you can; enjoy, if you can't

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"We stayed in this hotel for five nights 1/19-1/24/2005 in two different rooms. The first room, , a double, booked through Expedia, was on the top floor and very small -- but clean. It had no view and was rather claustrophobic. Due to a change in our travel plans, we needed to stay for another three nights in London. We looked to alternative hotels in the area and elsewhere -- but decided to stay in the same hotel. Booking directly with the hotel, we were offered a better room on a slightly higher rate which included breakfast. The room and breakfast was acceptable. Hence the first recommendation: If you decide to stay in this hotel, book directly and ask for a better room. More generally, having stayed and inspected different hotels in London over the last quarter century, I should say that it is very difficult to get a good-sized hotel room in London at a reasonable price. Upon my return, I noted that it is possible to get rooms in better hotels for the same price through priceline. In conclusion, due to its location near Paddington, friendly staff and clean rooms, this is an acceptable choice for budget travellers to London."

• Travel date: 24th February 2005

Dissapointing room

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"Stayed for one night due to its good reviews and budget price (60 quid for the night). Arrived at 13:30 (which is only 30 mins before correct check in time) and was told to wait for 30 mins before the room was ready. The hall entrance looks very nice but the room we got was far from it, very small, not great furniture and very basic. Not bad location, but the entrance hall is certainly more impressive than the rest of the place!!"

• Travel date: 21st January 2005

Great price/location combo!!!

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"My wife and I just returned from a 2-week trip to Europe where we spent time visiting London, Paris and Rome. While in London we stayed at the Norfolk Plaza, and I have to say that we were very pleased with the accomodations. We paid approx. $120 a night (before taxes) for the stay, so obviously we weren't expecting a 5 star hotel. The front desk attendants and staff were all very pleasant to work with and the room was very decent and clean. It was close to Paddington Station, and there are lots of restaurants and shops in the general area to visit. What do you get @ the Norfolk Plaza - great location, somewhat small but very decent room, 13" television, nice and clean bathroom, and there are non-smoking rooms available. What don't you get @ the Norfolk Plaza - 5 star accomodations, a great view from your room (we had no view)."

• Travel date: 16th November 2004

Norfolk Plaza - great location

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"This hotel met our needs very well. My husband, nine-year old daughter, and myself were booked in a clean, non-smoking triple room. The hotel is 2 blocks from Paddington Station, which made going anywhere in London simple. Hyde Park was a few blocks walk and there were modest restaurants, bakeries and grocers within a block. Our room had no view, but those facing the street get a beautiful view of the square. We never used the dining room, so I cannot vouch for breakfast, but the place was clean, with working plumbing and electric, and fresh linens daily. I would recommend this hotel, and would stay here again. One cautionary note...the fire alarm went off a couple of times the first night/day. We later realized that this was because someone down the hall was smoking on the floor - despite it being posted as Non-Smoking. A complaint to the front desk got rid of the problem."

• Travel date: 27th September 2004

Great Find!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"After cycling in Holland for week and living on barge, the Norfolk Plaza Hotel was a welcomed surprise. Located just a few blocks from Paddington, it was convenient and very quiet. It's on a small tree lined street and there are some excellent restaurants in the area. The small bar was a nice place to relax at the end of the day. The staff was pleasant and the room was clean and comfortable. I got a rate on the Internet for $80 per night and considering some of the dives I have stayed at for over $100, I couldn't believe my luck. I would highly recommend this property."

• Travel date: 16th September 2004

Get what you pay for

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"Stayed here for weekend in August 2004, booked last minute. The rate on their Website and on many of the "book your hotels" website was £70 per night excl breakfast. As their site had no secure boooking form I rang them and persuaded them to give me a double room with breakfast for £55 ! It's right beside Paddington but far enough away from the noise, room was OK, clean but the mini bar didn't work, all drinks very warm. Bathroom was clean with plenty of towels. It was damn hot and there was a large fan in my room when I arrived, which did help me sleep. Window wouldn't open though. All round, for £55 and location it was quite good. (Didn't have breakfast as it was only a buffet, went out instead !). Yes I'd stay here again if I got the same rate or may be upto £20 more."

• Travel date: 15th August 2004

Hotels near Norfolk Plaza Hotel

Top traveller tips for Norfolk Plaza Hotel

• by Angela N

"Have some decent customer service and empathy to your customers. "

Norfolk Plaza Hotel is also called