About Hotel Indigo London Kensington

• pets allowed

Good

Overall not bad - some rooms nicer than others!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"My friends and I stayed here on 2 separate occasions (during 1 week), and each time we had 2 rooms. So we saw 4 different rooms altogether, and I can tell you that your satisfaction will depend largely on the room you're assigned! It's a very oddly shaped building (or conglomeration of buildings), and some rooms are much roomier and easier to get to than others. Overall the place was clean, pleasant and well located. Don't stay here on your honeymoon, but it's a good base if you're planning to spend your days sightseeing. Yes, it smelled of smoke, but so does everything in Europe; the interiors were shabby, but again, that's Europe. And the free wireless in the lobby/bar area was a very nice perk. In our experience, the rooms with one double bed were much nicer than the rooms with 2 single beds, so keep that in mind if you're traveling with someone you don't mind sharing a bed with!"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of December 2006

The poorest hotel I have ever stayed in.

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Suggested by Travel agent in Australia and we are reporting back to them not to use Barkston Gardens for future bookings. We had the most run down room, broken bedside lamps, and old shabby dusty overhead drapping/swag, lumpy old disgusting mattress and pillows, ill fitting drapes on the windows. My husband slept on the floor for three nights of the week we were booked in, we requested to the Manager for another room with single beds and he said the whole of the hotel was booked out and to ask again in the morning which we did, not to him as he was not there but to his second in charge and was told there were three twin rooms not booked by anybody and we would have to talk to him later which we did and again he insisted this time that because it was a booking through the travel agent in Australia that we could not change the booking even though my husband was very willing to pay any extras, we were not looking for refunds just an enjoyable and restfull time in London. And I will not be recommending any of our friends or those who read this to stay there."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of November 2006

I second, what a dump!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Warning do not go here! This hotel was a complete disappointment. The only plus is the one other reviewers have mentioned in that it's close to the tube. The room was bigger than those in Europe and bathroom was quite large.. We stayed on the fourth floor and it needs a re-do. Did not want to touch anything, the bedspreads, curtains, carpet and chairs were filthy and very worn out. The windows don't close all the way letting in cold air, it got so cold I asked the desk how we turn on the radiator in room, he said you don't, but gave me a small room heater. Doesn't look anything like the picture, picture makes it look like it's out in the country away from things, it is not and there seemed to be alot of traffic noise for having a small park across the street from it. Have pic showing park just outside of hotel"

• Travel date: Fri 10th of November 2006

What a Dump

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"What a Dump! I was booked there for four nights at the end of October thru Brit Air. The room was reeking of mold and had rotten spots in the floorboards. The whole bathroom and especially the shower was festooned with mold. The desk people were surly and unresponsive and made no effort to at least get the mold neutralized in the bathroom and would not provide an alternate room. Maybe they don't like Brit Air customers- London hotel rooms are rarely a good value compared to any first world country but this room and hotel don't even qualify as third world. What a Dump! I see this hotel belongs to the Cairn group and if this is an example of their management competence, all their hotels should be avoided."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of November 2006

What's the fuss all about?

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"I booked a single en suite with continental breakfast for 65 pounds/night via venere.com. My room was great--clean, decent bed, and had a kettle and complimentary tea/coffe/cookies. The front desk was kind enough to bring me an electric heater when I called down--the heat isn't on this early in the season, and I'm from California so I have zero tolerance for cold! The staff was helpful, the hotel was clean and inviting. I couldn't have picked a more convienient location--close to Earl's Court tube station, food stores, a small grocery, and several pubs. I'd definitely stay there again, and would encourage friends to do so also."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of November 2006

Basic, but good hotel

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"I have stayed at the Barkston Gardens Hotel a few times now. The main reason being that is a two minute walk to Earls' Court Underground station which connects you onto the district line and piccadily line - great for eating and shopping in Covent Garden or going to see a show - ie Phantom of the Opera.
The staff are very friendly - for example my flight was delayed and then travelled up from gatwick airport and there were queues everywhere, i arrived at the hotel at 11am and asked if i could leave my luggage only to be told that my room was ready of me to check in to! Breakfast is also good. The restaurant serves beautiful food, only thing is it is nearly always empty and sometimes it is a long wait - but worth it.

I would agree that the hotel needs redecorated and new bathrooms, but when you pay £45 - 55 for a room in london you can't really compain.

I would recommend the hotel to people on budget and want it as base for a trip to London."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of October 2006

Glad there are mixed reviews!!!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We just got back from staying in London for 3 nights. We stayed at another hotel on the same street back in May, so I could compare. We paid 9 pounds more at this hotel (79 pounds for a twin - 2 people). I was worried when I found out that my son and I would be in a lower level (basement) room...but after going through several "Fawlty Tower" hallways and firedoors, we found the stair way down to our room. The room was better than I had anticipated on our way down. It was spacious, reasonable light and ventilization, although there wasn't a window in the bathroom. The bathroom and the bedroom were both in good repair. The TV was pretty small...but that's not why we travelled to London. And location...Earl's Court is a terrific compromise between price and convenience. I was concerned about writing too positive of a review, because I know that we will probably return, and I didn't want the hotel to raise their rates! I guess it really comes down to the room you are assigned. And fortunately, we won out this time!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

I have to question everyone who liked it

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I stayed in this hotel a few years ago and it was a dump. There is no other way to describe it. I was in London for a few days and I changed right away and learned immediately that when it comes to hotels, the terms, Nice, affordable and London or even adequate, affordable and London are oxymorons. Anyway, the Barkston Terrace by any criteria was a dump. When people describe this as great, I have to question their judgment. How do I describe a dump, well, the creaky floors, the window that opened up to some grimy backstreet, an ugly carpet that didn't mask the creaking, a window that had to be forced open and held open by a stick, the tininess of the room, I mean, I could go on and on. I find these places insulting except that they are all like this, I have yet to find an affordable, nice room of a decent size in London. Also the service was totally indifferent: I called the UK expedia number to change the hotel and it cost me eleven pounds, even though it was a local number.

Who knows, maybe its better now, although I doubt it."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

Stay somewhere else

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"The only plus with this hotel is the location. It is only 2 mins walk to the Earl's Court underground station.

The room we stayed was horrible.

-Transparent (sheer) curtain on bathroom window (the window is big and facing the bathtub. I have to get undress/dress behind the shower curtain, standing inside the bathtub).
-Extremely noisy. People yelling from the street (I dont think it is a good neighborhood) and you can always hear sirens from police car early morning and late night. You can also hear truck coming to pick-up trash in the morning.
-Paint in the bathroom is peeling off
-Wallpaper in the room is peeling off
-Big stain on blanket
-Rotten wood window frame
-Dirty carpet
-Dusty hair blow dryer

One thing we found funny is the mirror. It was cut from a big mirror (you can tell from the design and the cutting) and put in a picture frame. Another room probably have the other half."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of September 2006

Location, location

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"If you want a cheap clean hotel in central London this is the place for you. The hotel is just around the corner from Earl's Court underground station, in a very quiet side street overlooking a park. With Earl's Court providing direct lines to Heathrow airport and all the sights of London it is an ideal base for a few days sightseeing.
The hotel itself is basic but clean, with very friendly, helpful staff. They provide free wireless internet in the foyer and the breakfast is above average. All in alll a great place to stay in central London for the budget conscious traveller."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of September 2006