Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street

Wrights Lane Kensington, London W8 5SP England

Agree with others...

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"It was very hard to find a decent reasonable hotel in London given the current exchange rate of GBP to USD. So were were quite pleased to find this place after searching the internet & asking countless people for recommendations for our price range. Yes,the room was quite small but how much will you be in your room? It was was clean, functional and comfortable. Very efficient staff. Most of all this hotel is convienently located to shops, tube & food!"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of February 2004

i agree!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I agree, this was a fine place to stay on my first visit to London.
Very close to Kensington High St. tube station, though I always took buses everywhere, they were so direct & easy to figure & plentiful!

The hotel was clean and comfortable -- like everyone has said, the room was small. The staff was attentive, responsive. We had tea in our room in mornings, and could take baths, which was nice. Also had access for 5lbs extra per room to the gym/spa -- agree that you should book in advance for massage or facials. And be mindful that they close at 9:30pm, which was too early for me.

3 Different restaurants on site -- though we preferred to go across the street for breakfast at The Muffin Man, where they had the most delicious sausage (served with eggs) and strawberry preserves... I hadn't expected to just wander into a good meal so quickly at a random British restaurant!

Great neighborhood too -- very close to Hyde Park, and to good shopping (though exchange is far too bad right now to truly take advantage.) Not as exclusive an area as I'd anticipated though!

I recommend!"

• Travel date: Wed 18th of February 2004

Honestly, you get what you paid for

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I read through all of these reviews before going to London. They are all very positive. I would have to disagree strongly. While the hotel is not bad, it is not great either.

The rooms are about 8 by 8 feet. (no joke). The beds are very soft so if you hate soft beds, you are out of luck -- we tried two rooms so i can tell you this is the standard bed they have. I think the beds have bed bugs -- something not to take likely since they can come home with you. The bathrooms are tiny as well and are not that clean either.
Don't expect to use the concierge. While he is usually there, we asked him several questions and each time he couldn't recommend anything.
They are basically reservation makers. They don't know much about the city -- very surprising. We tried 3 different people and they were all bad.

Overall, this is the kind of hotel that you don't really want to walk barefoot around your room.

The place is a hotel but the rooms remind me of red roof in motel rooms.

Again, it isn't terrible but you get what you paid for.

The one thing going for the place is that it is right around the corner from the underground station and in a cute section of town.

Overall, i think the holiday inn in kennsington may be a better place -- much bigger and much nicer.

Last year, i spent over 100 nights in various hotels and so i can speak from experience.

in summary, i am not sure i would stay there again for the price. you can do better."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of February 2004

Can't find a better value

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"Having been all over Europe for two months for work, I found myself in London for the weekend, exhausted, and had a few requirements: 1) nice gym/pool/spa facilities where I could exercise and relax since I had no time during the week; 2) a clean room with a comfortable bed; 3) good, non touristy neighborhood close to the Tube. This hotel was perfect on all three, plus at a very reasonable price. Added bonus - I was so tired on Friday that I stayed in and got room service, which I almost never do for fear of bad food. It was delicious! Yes the room was small, and the hallways/common areas look a bit faded, but oh that wonderful bed with the fluffy down comforter. I slept for ages. Oh, and the health club - for 5 GBP you get full access to everything, and it's a real health club like you'd join at home. Only thing is - if you want a facial or massage, book ahead of time because apparently they sell out early. Even on my own dime, I'd stay here again for sure."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of February 2004

Overall very good

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Stayed for 2 nights in february, the room was abit on the small size (for a double bed room), ensuite bathroom was again small but adequate.The hotel staff were pleasant and the hotel's pool & gym were reasonable.The main restaurant was pleasant but the food wasn't as nice as I would have expected (might have been an off day). 2mins walk from the tube.Overall I would stay there again. 7/10"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of February 2004

55 dollars US/night!!!!

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"For this price in this pound/dollar environment,one expects the equivilent of a Bowery fleabag. Not the case!! Definitly three plus stars. Singles are indeed small. In fact, cruise ship stateroom small, but having travelled a few times to London and having stayed in selected, so-called, three star hotels, I must say that this was the best of the lot. The neighborhood is smart and the Hotel is close to Kensington High Street Tube. Very convenient to both Paddington and Victoria. Room amenities and maid service was also much more than expected. Big fluffy towels, clean rooms with turn-down service, bathroom amenities, coffeemaker, trouser press, an informed concierge and a friendly desk. Hey! For a three star I felt way ahead of the game.

Plus: I was permitted to check in a bit early. The desk staff told me that my room would probably be ready at 12:30 instead of the ironclad 2PM rule that I've come to expect from other hotels in London.

Minus (a mere quibble): No room safe. Single rooms are small, but I've had smaller in other European three stars."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of February 2004

Nice exterior but interior is lacking

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"I stayed here for 2 nights from a Priceline rate of $55 USD. I took a taxi from Paddington Station and it cost about 8 pounds. If you're taking the tube, it's just down Wrights Lane on the corner of the High Street Kensington tube station. Quite convenient. The exterior looks very new and beautiful.

I asked for a room at the back and got it. Yes, it's a long way to walk to the back of the hotel but looking at the hotel chart of the back of door, it seems these rooms are larger than the others. Ok, when I say larger, the rooms are still very tiny. The room though, was in much poorer condition than I thought. Everything was old including furnishings, walls, etc. There are NO CONTROLS for heating. Because of that, I tried calling for an extra blanket the first night. It was only about 10:30 pm but I got no answer from the Reception, Housekeeping, and Concierge for about 20 minutes. They must have logged my complaint because the heat was going strong the second night I was there. There seemed to be quite a lot of tour groups staying at this hotel.
Considering I also stayed at the Copthorne Tara Hotel next door for about the same price, I would definitely skip this hotel and stay next door."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of February 2004

LOVED IT!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My husband and I just returned from LondonHaving booked the kesnington Close Hotel through a travel agent for a great deal I was not expecting such a nice, quaint hotel. As others before me have written the location was great, just 5 minutes from the high street kensington stop, and close to tons of shops. Upon arrival we immediately checked in and within 5 minutes we walked into a very cute and clean room. It was very small but the cleanineess and quatiness made up for lack of space. The bathroom was hidden behind a sliding glass door that had a full length mirror The tub small by U.S. standards was clean and great for soaking in Lush products (Which you can purchase on high street kensington, for you vegetarians 50% of their products are vegan). The staff was gracious and the concierges desk was awesome. When I needed to call my airline they allowed me to use their phone. Having been to london several times all on budget travel. This hotel was definetly worth every penny and more. Until I am filthy rich and can afford the Ritz. This place is it!"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of January 2004

Friendly and Helpful staff, Great breakfast and Clean Rooms

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I stayed at Kensington Close for 10 nights and loved every bit of it!
The staff was very friendly and helpful...The breakfast buffet was wonderful and the room was very clean. The room was extremely tiny, but who cares? I was there to see London, not stay in my room! I would recommend this hotel to anyone! The staff at Kensington Close did not disappoint! Thank you for your great service!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of January 2004

Nice Hotel/good rates

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed for four nights at the Kensington Close in October. Although the room was very small, it had a bathtub which is rare in Europe and I love a good soak after a long day of sightseeing! The staff was helpful and courteous and the location near the metro was great. The only thing that we really did not like was the breakfast. The continental breakfast room was dark and somewhat sloppy and the breakfast buffet line was tremendously long and slow. If I was to go again, I would definitely eat breakfast elsewhere."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of December 2003

Overpriced, dated, small rooms, dreadful customer service , website very misleading

Reviewed Tue 11th of August 2015

"Reception could only be described as not friendly, helpful or welcoming!

Waited downstairs for room to be prepared but when we got to it they were only just starting to clean it!

We were shown to our room and were horrified by the size of the room....the smallest we have EVER stayed in. Add do that was the problem of a damp horrible smell coming from the aging bathroom, which surprised us as their website clearly states the hotel has undergone a HUGE renovation!

Gave up the idea of a bath due to slow input not helped by tepid temperature of water. Certainly no cold required. Most unhygienic bath ever...dirty and unkempt with old towels.

Asked for a refund and blankly refused.

This hotel is poorly run and managed and in need of a major overhaul and the staff from the management downwards require retraining."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of August 2015

I must have been lucky!!

Reviewed Thu 12th of February 2009

"I stayed here 6th-8th Feb 2009. After reading some of the other reviews I wasn't too hopeful, but I found this hotel to be very good indeed. Check-in was swift and painless with very courteous staff. My room was on the 3rd floor round the side overlooking the neighbouring hotel. The room was a little small but it was absolutely spotless and recently decorated (Ithink). The bed was very comfy and the bathroom surprisingly large with a great shower. There is a very good sports bar at the hotel with very reasonable (FOR lONDON)prices. The buffet breakfast won't win any awards but it was decent enough and the staff very speedy with the tea and coffee, while everything else was self service. Didn't have time to use the Health club but I overheard two people in the bar saying that it was very good.The hotel is perfectly situated just two mins walk from Kensington High St tube.
If you want a good meal locally, try Chez Gerard Brasserie which is 8-10 mins walk from the hotel towards Kensington Gardens.
Overall, if you are going to be out and about in London a lot,this is a great hotel to stay at.

• Travel date: Thu 12th of February 2009

Hotels near Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street

Stayed at Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Holiday Inn London - Kensington High Street

• MollyCat1275 by MollyCat1275

"Don't stay at this hotel. "

• T FOX by T FOX