Holiday Inn Express London-Swiss Cottage

Very clean!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The hotel was very easy to find, and it's very close to the tube station at Finchley Road. It's also extremely close to the National Express bus stops (if you were to go to Stansted or Luton airports). Right across the street was a mall with a lot of restaurants, a Sainsbury's, and a book store. Definitely try eating at Cumin - great Indian food. The hotel room was extremely clean, and after a very long flight...the sight of it made us tear with joy! haha. The room was very well air-conditioned, and the entire building just looked so clean and technologically advanced. Beds were comfortable, and bathroom clean (they had shampoo/soap dispensers). The bathroom door was very cool - it had a dual function, where it either closed off the entire bathroom, or just the toilet area...which would let others use the sink/shower while you're using the toilet. At night, you definitely hear the traffic noise outside, and a surprising amount of cars pass by. But this didn't bother us (3 of us) since we're pretty heavy sleepers. I can't comment on the breakfast because we left really early to catch a flight. Definitely would stay here again."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Tourist Alert! Clean, bright, budget hotel in London!

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"This sparkling, modern, well-located hotel was one of the reasons we enjoyed our August trip to London. (Well, the mercifully cool weather was also a factor allowing unlimited sightseeing. But the hotel is fully air conditioned . A must for summer trips to London.) We had a family room for 4 nights, £89 per night, under 500 Euro for the whole trip. Brilliant high season value. We were 2 adults and 2 kids, one aged 17 in one family room. Sounds crowded, but somehow the room layout, sparkling decor and general.ambience created a sense of well being and comfort. If ,like us, you are no longer prepared to rough it but refuse to pay a king's ransom for a few nights in London (all the other hotels we contacted insisted on a full price second room for our 17 yr old) then book this hotel. Its beside the tube and beside the drop off point for National Express coaches to and from Stansted. We knew where we were going so had little contact with staff, but they were extremely friendly. Our luggage was stored after checkout, an evening flight allowing an extra day sightseeing. Our kids loved the O2 centre across the road with its great value Pizza Hut. We found the food stodgy and would have preferred a better choice of restaurants, but if your kids are like ours, always howling for pizza or hamburger, you can feed them cheaply here. There is a pretty bar in the hotel for a nightcap.Farewell to grim, depressing budget hotels! This is a find."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of August 2006

Avoid front rooms at all cost

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Have just paid £109.50 (plus £15 hotel parking) for the worst nights sleep of my life. Before booking for this hotel confirm with them that you want a rear room. We stayed in room 214 which faces the main road. The hotel is at a crossroad junction. ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT you have vehicle noise compounded by braking noise and reving-up to pull away from the traffic lights. Fortunately the hotel is new so cleanliness was first-rate, the bathrooms are large and clean, this was a blessing as I resorted to sleeping in there for a few hours. The staff are friendly and apologized about the noise, I understand that its not their fault as they didn't build the place. I also understand and expected the place to be just a little above the standard of a Travel Inn or Premier Lodge hotel. I won't be staying there again."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

Very nice hotel

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"This hotel is very new and modern and thus sparkling clean. The O2 Centre across the street has a movie theater, a bunch of restaurants and a supermarket. The Finchley Road Tube station is a block away.

Staff was very welcoming and understanding. In-room wired Internet access was 7.50 GBP. There is an Internet cafe nearby."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of July 2006

Reasonable value business hotel

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"I had two days in London to ensure my holiday in France could become a business trip and booked this hotel so I could spend an evening with friends in nearby Hampstead. It was just fine for a standard business hotel but I was only staying there becuase of location."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of July 2006

We liked a lot

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I'm Italian and I've been in London last week with my girlfriend. We read a lot of reviews on this site and we chose the Express By Holiday Inn.

The hotel is very very confortable, very clean and everything worked fine. My room was very big (especially the bathroom) and the price (224 pounds for three nights, booked through internet) was really reasonable. It seemed to me that the photos on the site weren't nice like the room in fact is, so I took another picture. The staff is kind and helpful.
Continental breakfast (served till eleven!) was good and enough.
In front of the hotel there's a big shopping center that's a good place to go when you need something (anyway subway stop finchley road is at three minutes by walk). No probs to reach the hotel in the night (this area seems to be quite safe).

The only negative point I can underline it's that the hotel is in zone two so you need a travelcard for the zones one and two at least and more or less 20 minutes to reach the center (piccadilly, trafalgar etc.). That's why I don't advise this hotel to that people who wants to be free to reach the hotel many times a day.
At the opposite I really advise the express holiday inn to all the others (at the same rate naturally).
I definitively will came back here another time.

Bye
Trella"

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of May 2006

Ideal for short break in London

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Really enjoyed our recent 3 day break in London and much of this was as a result of booking into this convenient and clean hotel. We booked ahead & paid £79 for a twin.

The hotel has an attractive, fresh decor - photos posted are exactly what we got. Plenty of storage & comfy beds. Continental help yourself breakfast had plenty of choice & fresh foods.

Yes it's on a busy road so traffic can be noisy at rush hour (wear ear plugs if you're a light sleeper). I booked the hotel for its location & didn't expect to hear birds tweeting. The 2 minute walk to the tube was ideal. The O2 centre opposite is packed with a range of restaurants - this is ideal if you don't want to pay London prices for food&drink or don't fancy a late night return on public transport. All you can eat buffet at China Red for under £10 and the usual dependable Wetherspoons kept us happy!

The option to store luggage gave us an extra half day in London city. The staff were great - polite & helpful at all times. Even when I phoned the night before to change the booking."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of May 2006

Beware where you park!

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"We have just stayed in this Holiday Inn as a family of 4. Location of hotel is very good, only a minutes walk to Finchley Road tube station on the Jubilee line which had a very frequent service. Room a bit squashed for 4 but at the price still very good value and very clean. Staff friendly. Breakfast buffet good, kids loved it. Supermarkets and restaurants on your doorstep.

But BEWARE if you are bringing your car. Do not leave your car unattended while checking in. The hotel has a very small car park you can get into if not full to unload. More permanent parking is available at a nearby supermarket at reasonable cost. We made the costly mistake of leaving the car on the road beside the car park while we spent 5 minutes or so checking in. In that short time the car was clamped and on the point of being towed away. This proved to be very costly and we are following it up with the clamping company. The lesson learnt is do not leave the car unattended if not in the official car park.

Otherwise a great location for a London holiday."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of April 2006

Almost Flawless Experience

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"LOVE this hotel! If the windows didn't allow so much street noise in and the late morning/early afternoon staff was a little less clueless, it would have been a 5!

Clean rooms, albeit a little small, clean, nice bathroom. Double bed can be split into 2 singles. Has internet access, but is not included in the room rate. Such a great location; less than a block from the Finchley Road tube station. A quarter of a block from the National Express bus pickup to Stansted airport. A mall with Sainsbury's, bars, and restaurants across the street.

They will hold luggage for you, which helped us when we just got in from a transatlantic flight.

Would definitely stay here again. Great place."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

fabulous

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My sister and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights.

Everything was clean, neat and tidy. As the hotel isn't very old there's almost no signs of it being worn down. The interior is modern and looks really good. The breakfast- and all other areas had modern design furnitures and surroundings.

The breakfast was good as well. Although limited options, good enough. a mini-box of cereal and a whole-wheat roll is good enough for me in the mornings. They also had fresh fruit, all sorts of coffe and teas and also some "cakes".

The room we stayed in was a good size bedroom. We were meant to be 3 people travelling and had asked for a triple bed-room. Even though the 3rd person cancelled we got the triple bed-room. Although if we were to be 3 people staying in this room, the space would have been cramped. Lovely and clean bathroom with a lovely shower with actual water-pressure where you don't have to stand for 20 minutes trying to get the shampoo rinsed out..

Absolutely recommend this hotel!! And will stay there next time I go to London as well :)"

• Travel date: Fri 31st of March 2006