Street at the Hilton London Metropole

Good
1962

Not habitable hotel

Reviewed 18th July 2018

"Think again before considering this hotel: 1. The hotel is not habitable The worst hotel in the hilton brand! 2. The aircons do not work; 3. The hotel staff are rude as hell! 4. Cheap breakfast with regular menu that only is nutritiousness. Do not waste your money on this particular hilton brand tag as 4-Star; it should be at least 1-Star!!!"

• Travel date: 1st July 2018

Loved it!!

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"After reading some of the negative reviews of this hotel, my girlfriend and I were a little nervous about staying at the Metropole. First thing we did was ask for a room in the new wing and a king size bed. Both of our requests were granted even though the hotel was extremely busy with a convention. Overall, the Metropole is a very nice place to stay. Its a very clean and modern hotel. The biggest plus in my book was the Edgeware tube station being right accross the street. And I have to say Marks and Spencer was a great place to get some cheap snacks. The only complaint I had was the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night. It got to a point where I hope a real fire wouldn't happen, because I would ignore the alarm. I would definetely stay here again. It was my first time to London and it was very enjoyable!!!!"

• Travel date: 30th November 2004

Awful adjunct to Paddington Station

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"Hotel feels like part of Paddington Station, with its long, long check-in lines and difficult to comprehend layout. You will have a hard time figuring out which of the various wings your bedroom is located in. Both of the rooms I have occupied here, have been shabby, smelly and cramped."

• Travel date: 29th November 2004

Accessible, clean, safe...

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We stayed at the Metropole for 3 nights in late March 2004 free with Hilton Honors awards. After staying in Travelodges for a week, this was a nice upgrade. The check in was easy and we got a decent executive room in the main wing which had a decent view south of the Eye and Big Ben. The bathroom was really nice, clean, covered in marble, and we got complimentary bathrobes to use the first night which was great. The Metropole is indeed, as others have mentioned, located in a heavily Middle Eastern area, and you just need to pay more attention at night when you're out and about. (I only say this as a blonde female who would go up the street at night and in the AM to get food or whatever, and had to be sure to look more aware and assertive as some people did look and comment a bit at me. I'm from the SF Bay Area though so it wasn't a first) Agree with others here that there's not much to see around the area but it is across the street from Edgeware Rd tube station and Paddington Station where you can catch a direct train to Heathrow. (allow at least an hour to get there on that line) The concierge was extremely helpful and got us wonderful seats to see "We Will Rock You" at the Dominion Theatre which is an absolute MUST SEE. The internet connection didn't work in the room though they tried to fix it, but that was the only problem I experienced at the Metropole. The hotel restaurant is okay, service was hit or miss, but the room was excellent."

• Travel date: 28th November 2004

Fantastic hotel, great location, this reviewer had an A+ experience.

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"I read all of the reviews about this hotel on Trip Advisor before our vacation to London and decided the positives outweighed the negatives. We got a great deal on a room at 79 pounds per night by pre-paying for the whole stay ahead of time, so I figured we'd give it a try. My wife and I were amazed with this hotel. From the moment we arrived, the staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. The concierge arranged theater tickets (at half price after we balked at the cost of full price tickets for an older show) and dinner reservations. The bellman delivered our bags to our room immediately. We never encountered one line at this hotel (except at the bar late at night -- the hotel was hosting a convention during our visit). We requested a room in the new tower based on the reviews we read on this site and it was completely worth it. The view was amazing and the room looked like a page out of an Ikea catalog. Everything was extremely clean and it was great to have such a comfortable room to come home to after walking the city all day. I can't figure out why some people would think this neighborhood is sketchy -- it is an extremely diverse area with a lot of young people from all national origins. The restaurants in the neighborhood stay open late and it is within walking distance of many major attractions. I felt safe walking late at night and we had only very positive experiences with the local crowd. The Edgeware tube station is directly across the street as well. We only found two negatives -- the restaurant at the top of the hotel, Nippon Tuk, is overpriced and the food is very average, so don't go there for dinner (we paid almost 100 pounds for the two of us). Also, the business center in the hotel charges 3 pounds for 15 minutes of internet access, but one block away is an internet cafe that only charges 1 pound per hour. However, if you have your own computer, they have wireless internet access at no charge throughout the hotel. We highly recommend this hotel and will absolutely stay here again on our next vacation to London. Thank you!"

• Travel date: 28th November 2004

Not a great experience

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"This hotel isn't located in one of the nicest spots of London. You're a good walk or tube/bus/taxi ride away from the shopping and tourist attractions. I didn't have a very good experience. Check in took forever and when I got to my executive non-smoking room, not only did it stink of smoke, but there was someone's clothes in it - i.e. the room was already taken! I went back downstairs and complained and after another long wait they managed to check me into a different room - and gave me a little box of 4 chocolates to apologise. My new room was empty and didn't smell of smoke. It didn't however have very good lighting and one of the lamps didn't work, so the room was really quite dark. The whole room was rather dated; the only thing that made it executive was the sofa and the rather claustrophobic shower cubicle. There are some much nicer hotels in London for the same price – and for that reason I used the average priced wired internet access to book myself a different hotel for my second night in London and checked out of the Metropole after just one night."

• Travel date: 12th November 2004

Large but surprisingly pleasant in many ways

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"One doesn't expect that much from a large Hilton, but I was pleasantly surprised. OK, it has its downsides - ludicrously long queues for check-in; only one member of staff on check out at 7am. It's large, busy and impersonal. But my room - in the more modern wing - was new, large for London and comfortable. Their new Thai/Japanese restaurant on the 23rd floor has superb panoramic views over London (and the food's pretty good, too). Many of the staff - in the restaurants, or servicing the rooms - are very friendly and helpful. So overall, a good impression."

• Travel date: 30th October 2004

Can't beat the Hilton

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"Great Hotel, We just got back from our first trip to London and spent a few days at the Hilton. Great Hotel, Great Service, and close to every thing. We are going back next year and will be staying there again."

• Travel date: 4th October 2004

Fairly Good

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Booked through Priceline for 70 USD/ night. Good staff. Was upgraded to Executive room as a holder of Hilton Honours Gold. Executive lounge is good but few things to eat in the evening. Decent breakfast in the lounge. The key to the room never worked so that we had to go and get checked in numerous amount of times. Good location on the tube network. Overall, good stay for the amount paid."

• Travel date: 1st October 2004

Decent hotel

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"We stayed at the Hilton London Metropole Hotel for six nights in August, 2004 as part of a tour group. Our room was located in the older section of the hotel, but the room and the building itself were in very good condition. We got an upgrade to a king bed just by asking, and the room was fairly large. The view out the window was awful, but we didn't mind. The bathroom and shower were a good size, but the maid service left something to be desired. We were shorted towels two days and soap on a third day. The location was good -- just a few blocks from Hyde Park, and the tube stop (Edgeware) was right across the street. Potential guests should be aware that the hotel is located on the border of a heavily Arab area of London. As a result, the surroundings and many of the hotel guests are Arab. For some, this could be a very intimidating experience. For others, this would not be a problem. The breakfast buffet was large and good. For our tour group it was free, but for those who had to pay it seemed pretty expensive."

• Travel date: 29th September 2004

Hilton just average

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Stayed 2 nights in Aug 2004--Hotel is large and modern but I agree with other reviews that they have a hard time handling their size. Had my reservation wrong even after confirming 2 days prior to arrival, fire alarm also went off in the morning when we were there and always a line at the front desk. Buffet breakfast very expensive and not worth the price especially if traveling with a child. Overall it had the amenities you need but nothing special."

• Travel date: 7th September 2004