Good

botique hotel in a convenient location

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"I stayed at the hotel while on a business trip. The location of the hotel is excellent right next to the Haymarket theatre and opposite the Her Majesty's Theatre which is running Phantom of the Opera.

The entrance to the hotel is discreet. Its newly renovated with all the newest amenities. Being a botique hotel, it uses contemporary design. Rooms are spacious with a huge bathroom. In room wireless internet access is very expensive.

The hotel has a very large swimming pool. It also has a rather small fitness centre in a 10 feet x 20 feet room. They have a restaurant at the front of the hotel which serves brunch and dinner and a bar that stays open till midnight.

The staff is very friendly. I arrived before check-in time and wanted to freshen up after a long journey for my business meeting. The front desk checked in my luggage and showed me a shower I could use. By the time, I was ready, they also had a room key for me. I got one of the deluxe rooms 114 which was away from the rest of the crowd - nice but isolated.

There are plenty of restaurants close by with all types of cuisine. The hotel is right between Picadelly Circus and Trafalgar square. If you want to get tickets to the theatre, the front desk will give you suggestions and also help you with tickets. About a block away you can go to the UK tourism centre to get all information you need as a tourist. Overall, a very nice and modern hotel right in the heart of London but bit expensive."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of December 2007

Fantastic. Beyond Compare.

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I travel on a frequent basis and admit to being a fussy hotel stayer. Past stays have included a range from George V through to Le Tousserok so I expect high standards.

This was my second stay at The Haymarket and as per usual they exceeded all expectations.

The hotel is beautifully designed, and those who comment an Art Gallery obviously fail to appreciate their ethos of bringing good design into a hospitality space. The mix of the historical facade and the furnishings throughout are a complete success.

The hotel has a vibe of a small boutique hotel, staff on reception desk and concierge are efficient, friendly and make you feel at home the second you step in the door. No turned up noses in this establishment.

The rooms, first stay I was on Sutton Place, second overlooking Haymarket are spacious, comfortable and a cosy feel. One thing I really loved is the fact the rooms are not sterile like so many contemporary hotels. Mixtures of fabrics and probably the most comfortable bed I have ever experienced combine to make the space more like a retreat than a bedroom.

I had excellent service throughout, including room service.

It's rare I would take time to write a review, but I was so impressed with my stay I felt obliged to.

Highly recommended and this has swiftly become the only hotel I would consider in London."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of July 2007

Lovely rooms, pity about the street

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We love the Firmdale hotels in London - Soho, Charlotte St, Covent Garden, Knightsbridge - but Haymarket is not a hotel, it's an art museum. Great to look around and oooh and ahh about the design, but not great to stay in. Kit Kemp has gone one hotel too far.
Bar and restaurant are totally overlooked by spotty, pasty faced tourists and autograph hunters who loiter around waiting for celebs to exit Her Majesty's Theatre. Please!
Weird public areas designed for conventions rather than me.
I didn't feel cared for here, not like Firmdale's other hotels, which feel like they give you a hug when you walk in.
Horrid location, despite proximity to theatreland. Hey, how far is it from Covent Garden?!"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

a lovely hotel

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at the Haymarket Hotel.
We had a deluxe double room facing Suffolk Place so it was very quiet. The room was beautifully furnished and large, it was also very bright and airy, the bathroom had a plasma T.V. inset into the wall over the bath, if you like that sort of thing.
My husband ordered flowers as it was our anniversary and the manager was kind enough to send us complimentary champagne which we enjoyed before going to dinner.
The only quibble I would have, is with the service at breakfast which was not to the standard of a hotel of this caliber also the tea at breakfast was awful so we went out for breakfast the following two mornings. This is an expensive hotel but wonderful if you want to treat yourself ,also the location is very good for theaters and shopping. The reception and door staff were very pleasant and friendly. I would stay here again and we also visited their sister hotels in Soho and Covent Garden which are very different. The Soho is very buzzy but I did not like the area but I intend to try Covent Garden."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2007

Loved the look of the hotel but service needs improving

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"We needed a hotel near Leicester Square as we were invited to the Pre-screenig of the New Harry Potter on 24th June at 9.00am. We booked 2 rooms, and the reservations desk was very helpful.We all agreed the hotel is beautiful, the decor lovely and the rooms spacious and well-designed. The pool area is stunning to look at and everyone seemed very friendly. These are the good points.
Now the bad...The service was poor especially in the restaurant. We booked a table for 8 for 8 o'clock. I explained we had our 6 year old with us and we wanted to eat in the hotel so she could eat with us and then go up to bed when she was tired..(.we have a monitor and often do this when we go to stay in small hotels)\
Having had a pleasant lunch in the restaurant we had high hope for dinner. After sitting at our table for 15 mins we finally got a waiter to take a drinks order...more waiting 15 mins at least before we accosted another waiter to ask for our drinks...finally hey arrived but the champagne bought to us was not the right sort. We asked for bread and were told- (rudely) that we could only have bread once we'd ordered our food.....noooo we are the customer and if we want bread, please get us bread!! Sitting at the table for more than half an hour with no drinks or food is very annoying. especially when you have a tired child with you. We waited so long for water my husband went to fetch some from the honesty bar in another part of the hotel.Eventually the food did come but by this time our daughter was much too tired to eat her rissotto, so left most of it, and I had to take her to bed. All the veal was very poor, tough and dry. the fish and side dishes were good but not amazing.
We were left feeling very fed-up.
We did let the hotel know about this at checkout and by email and they reasponded with an offer to refund the cost of the veal ,and the service charge and an up-grade iplus a free meal if we return, so I feel they understood that they did not provide a good service and they have taken responsibility.Hopefully yhey can get these glitches sorted out as the hotel is exceptionally lovely and very central.
One other sore point, the pool looked gorgeous, but was freezing! Both my husband and daughter went in but got out again in a flash. The whole point of a pool is for it to be swum in, so if it can't be heated until it is pleasant then don't waste the space by having one. I think the hotel uses the space in other ways and probably doesn't want the atmosphere in the pool area to be too hot and steamy, but cold and uninviting isn't condusive to swimming.
Again the management have accepted this point and told us the pool was well below temp on our visit. but it was dissappointing as we chose the hotel because it has a pool...we often stay at One Aldwych for a similar reason.
In summary we will return, as we feel the hotel has to be given a chance to redeem itself. But if it dissappoints again.......
As a complete contrast, we had lunch the next day at Galvin at Windows on the Park overlooking Hyde park, the meal there was exceptional. Very professional, ( mostly French) waiters who were attentive, friendly and funny. the food was perfect, and the whole meal left us all in very high spirits. It was actually less expensive than the meal at Brumus, but the food was in a whole differnt league! 5 stars!)"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of June 2007

Best hotel in London

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Up to date and stylish room. One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Great fixtures. Excellent location."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

Exquisite

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"It is always a gamble staying at a new hotel but this one paid off. The hotel is in the heart of the West End and yet was perfectly quiet.The rooms are a good size with a great bathroom albeit without a bath! A large powerful shower was fine.
The bedding was crisp and as good as anything i have ever encountered.
The staff were attentive and a last minute request for a rollaway was met without fuss. A proferred tip was refused-they were just doing their job i was told.
Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2007

loved it!

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"Had a great dinner in 'Brumus' the hotel's restaurant which faces directly opposite Her Majesty's Theatre...my bedroom was fabulous and the bathroom enormous...on the day I stayed Posh and Becks were also in house....what more can one say! The pool is spectacular and if you can take a peek at the Shooting Gallery..it's stunning! The hotel's a winner in my book!"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of May 2007

Expensive Luxury

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"The Haymarket Hotel is really the 'greatest hits' of the Firmdale group, owned by Kit Kemp. This place has all their design trademarks: lots of pattern, art, wallpaper, quirky furniture and decent materials. It opened 10 days ago, though clearly there is more work to do. We checked in and were disappointed to be told that the fabulous swimming pool was not open. Our room was upgraded from superior to luxury which seemed a nice gesture...though the room was on the 3rd floor with funny slot windows. There was no double glazing so you really hear the life of the street outside. We enjoyed the Library bar and Conservatory and ate well enough in the restaurant (which is a bit overpowering on the wallpaper front)...My main issue would be the cost. I had not realised their room rate did not include VAT and our bill for dinner with one bottle of wine, 2 glasses of Champagne the room and no breakfast was over £450. That is a lot of money - even for London. I might suggest to get the Firmdale experience you might be better of staying at one of their other properties which are cheaper."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of May 2007

Hmm, needs work

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I am a huge fan of the Firmdale hotels and love the Covent Garden Hotel in particular. Unfortunately the CG was fully booked and so I was directed to the Haymarket which is the newest member of the group and had been open a mere 48 hours.

First, the positives - there is no doubt it has been beautifully and elegantly designed and furnished. The location is also fantastic.

However, there are some serious problems. The many staff who greeted us every time we were in a public space were universally ineffectual. Worse still they were often intrusive - questions such as 'why are you here' and the manager not taking the hint that we really didn't want to go down to the basement to admire the pool were irritating in the extreme.

The staff proved hopeless whenever we needed anything. Several requests were needed before we could (expensively) access the internet. Repeated calls requesting our car be waiting for us on check out were ignored resulting in a 20 minute wait we could ill-afford. And the check out itself was interminable. 7 separate members of staff asked about our experience, but no one seemed able to produce a bill. If I were in a hurry, it would have been infuriating.

And to the bill - all hotels in Central London, especially expensively equipped ones are expensive, but this was extraordinary - internet access was twice as much as any other hotel, parking was over £40, breakfast (nice but not that nice) was £36 and some weird 'handling' fee of £10 appeared. An exorbitant amount for a very nice room but with decidedly amateur service which really left me very disappointed.

Maybe these are early day teething problems, but I won't be rushing back I am afraid, even if the Covent Garden Hotel is full."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of May 2007