DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park

I got robbed!!!!!

Reviewed Mon 1st of August 2011

"The hotel is expensive, not the greatest rooms. I was on the 7th floor and had no hot water, just lukewarm, and the water pressure was weak. The food is great, that is it!! There was a firedoor close to my room and people would bang it all night long, instead of closing it softly. Then after I got home and was checking my bank statement, found that a number of charges were fraudulent. All but one came from the United Kingdom. Since I only used my debit card to check out from the hotel, I must assume that someone at the hotel pinched my debit card information and it could only have been after I checked out, so a desk clerk or admin clerk is the guilty party. IF you HAVE to stay there, use cash!!!!!! Also ask them for a lower floor. Hopefully you have better water temps and better pressure."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2011

Tatty: needs big make over

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Considering the rooms are charged at such an extortionate rate I am amazed at such complimentary comments and people that this is the best in London, there are 100s of hotels with better prices and much more stylish than this. I stayed with my company who booked our rooms- so perhaps the rooms on the 5th floor where I was were reserved for companies paying at a discount- so avoid 5th floor.

As soon as you get out of the lift you are greeted with peeling cheap blue wallpaper and ugly outdated blue stained carpet. My room was decent size- but it just feels outdated and totally in need of makeover.
Bathroom is tiny and nothing really special- door is a cheap thin wooden door- with a large gap underneath so if you are sharing with someone else this could prove embarrassing! Again there were gaps in wallpaper and lots of wood chip showing. A hotels one of the most vital points to an enjoyable hotel stay and an easy thing to get right. With such a good location this hotel could
be amazing but is in real need of a huge refurbishment to compete with far more stylish and contemporary hotels.
My room stunk of smoke and did not even have a mini bar- though again this was probably because these are rooms reserved for companies paying.
Lighting wise: annoyingly its one of those- have to slot card in by
door to access lights- systems- so either you switched all lights off at night but still had a floor spotlight on which was quite annoying- or took card out, got your darkness but if woke in the middle of the night could not switch any light on at all. Why do hotels insist on doing
this?! Also the lighting was all provided by bright ceiling spotlights- there was no bedside lamp with softer lighting so the room just felt harsh andnot very relaxing.

The few bonuses: the bed was very comfortable, decent TV and I heard no
outside noise despite busy road outside.
I have no idea who- couples or business people would pay what is in lobby as advertised as over £220 for a room in this hotel. Its insane as for this price you can stay at an amazing 5star stylish luxury modern hotel with all the facilities. This hotel felt very outdated, lacking any style and tatty, I would not ever pay even near half this price to stay here. If you want to impress someone: do not take them here!
I did not try food so can not comment on this."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of February 2007

Better than most hotels in London....

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I stayed here on the 23rd of January for 1 night on a Business trip paid for by my company.

Whilst this hotel wasn't close to my london branch, i chose it because of it's location and that's why I have rated this Excellent.

The hotel looks very modern and beautifully lit on the outside and everything you would expect out of a ramada jarvis hotel. I found the reception staff extremely helpful and polite. To me, customer service is a top priority for me when chosing a hotel (whether city break or a holiday abroad). Ok, the decor isn't 100% up-to-date by Colin & Justin's standard, but i thought it was 10 times better than most of the hotels i have stayed in around london.

I stayed in a double room on the 3rd floor overlooking the side street. Facilities were fine (tea, coffee, biscuits etc). Ironing board, iron, trouser press etc. The shower was nice and powerful and hot, and the bathroom was pleasantly modern. I couldnt see the numbers on the tv remote because they had worn out over constant use over the years, but it only takes a bit of common sense to figure out the layout. The bed was extremely comfortable with lots of thick pillows and had a greta nights sleep.

I did find that there was a 'slight' draft from the window (i dont think they are double glazed), and could hear the noise in the side street (not that it was a huge problem as it was minimal), so i just increased the room temperature and then it was fine.

The breakfast was spot on, and again the service was wonderful. They show you to your table and ensure that everthing is ok with the service etc. The food was brilliant. Full english breakfast (eat as much as you want may i add!) Lovely fat sausages, fried and scrambled egg, tomatoes, bacon, beans, toast, mushrooms. They also had a lighter breakfast consisting of cereals (about 7 varieties), they also had fruits and yoghurt. So the breakfast was 10 out 10.

The location was brilliant. 2 mins from Notting Hill Gate and High street (plenty of restaurants/pubs), and 2 mins from Bayswater, so it was an ideal place to stay if you are on business and want somewhere to socialise for the evening with your colleagues/friends/family. I was a female traveller on my own but at no point throughout my trip did i feel unsafe/vulnerable or bored on this trip. So if you are a female traveller on your own, dont worry!

Checking in and out was fine - no queues atall and they were very friendly and apologetic (as the system was slow on the computer for all of 5 mins, but they still apologised twice!) - to me, the customer service was perfect and all the staff were polite and friendly saying hello etc.

I would definately stay here again!"

• Travel date: Thu 25th of January 2007

Good, well located hotel - just ignore the decor..yuk.

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Stayed here for two nights in November 2006 on a business trip.
Booked into a single room, which was well equipped but poky. Anyone wanting to indulge in some cat-swinging would have been sorely disappointed, but I'd left mine at home, so wasn't that bothered. This hotel looks as if it has been decorated by a blind person. The corridors have bright blue wallpaper and dark brown doors. Dark brown is their favourite colour as this is the predominate colour in the rooms too. In the bathroom there are tiles in dark brown/black shades which are truly awful. These dark colours don't help in a tiny room.
Anyway that's enough criticism because this is actually quite a good hotel. Comfy bed, good powerful shower, iron, ironing board and trouser press present, everything worked.
A good game to play is find the air-con controls. I eventually found them hidden behind a pillar on the second night, after listening to what sounded like a jet-engine roaring in my ear the previous night. But controls are there, and they do work.
Noise from the traffic could also present a problem for a light sleeper - I was on the third floor overlooking the main road.
Breakfast was a most pleasant experience. Shown to your table by a cheerful and friendly maitre'd, at the buffet there is a good range of cereals and fruits, cold meats, bread, and the fried food was warm, fresh and well cooked. The vegetable 'sausages' were quite delicious, as were the proper meat ones.
A 150 yard walk takes you to Queensway Underground Station on the Central line, and from there you can explore the city easily.
London is possibly the greatest city in the world this hotel is a fine place to stay if you're not to bothered by the decor."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of November 2006

Loved the location

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Booked through Globus. First time to London, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I loved it. Had a room on the 7th floor facing Baywater Street. It was noisy during the day, but we were always out sightseeing so the noise didn't impact us. It did get quiet at night, as it seems to be in more of a residential/embassy area than in the busy downtown area, so we always had a great sleep with no noise. Close the curtains to keep out the sun and the room stayed cool. The breakfast exceded my expectations (best eggs in Europe - not too runny) We had the breakfast included in our room. There were lots of options -both hot and cold choices. Exellent location for the tube and buses and walks. Our room had a view of Kensington Gardens and one morning there was fog over the park and it was gorgeous. Staff was very nice and accomodating. The bar was a little smokey and it did waft out to the lobby. Our room had an iron and mini bar and lots of extra room. The lift worked every time we pushed a button. The public areas seemed recently remodeled and fresh. I have no complaints about this hotel and would love to stay again if I ever had the chance to be honest with you. I loved the hotel and the location."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of September 2006

Great location, ok for one night

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend for one night, as we were going to an event in Notting Hill.

Booked online with ebookers - as it was the best price and included continental breakfast.

On arrival, we were asked if we would like to upgrade to a superior room for an extra £25 - for the room not each. The difference covered bathrobes and slippers in the room, two small bottles of wine, bottles of water and chocolates. We also received our choice of Sunday paper.

Our room was on the 7th floor and at the back of the hotel.

The bathroom was much more impressive than the room itself - sseemed as though the bathroom had been recently been refurbished.

Room was a little small and the satellite picture was poor but there was little noise from other rooms and the bed was comfortable.

Selection for the continental breakfast was excellent - could have everything available except the cooked breakfast - cereal, dried fruit and nuts, selection of yoghurts, wide choice of fresh fruit, pastries, croissants and rolls, cheese, cold meat and fruit juices. To be honest I don't think anyone would have noticed if we had eaten the hot food too.

The breakfast was £15.95 each if you didn't have it included in your room rate, but we could have had changed to full english for £5 extra.

Hotel is in a great location. Bus and tube stops close by, short distance from Marble Arch / Oxford Street, directly opposite Hyde Park, short walk from Portabello Market and fab restaurants in Notting Hill - great food and excellent value."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

Pretty good

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"When you book a hotel in London, you should never expext very much. London hotels (and Englisch hotels) usually have not the same standards as in other countries (especially not compared to the US). London hotel rooms are often in old buildings, small and in pretty bad shape. Having stayed in London now for a dozen times, I managed to find some hotels, which are okay.

This time I needed a hotel for just one night with my family (two adults, one baby). Via needahotel I found the Ramada Hyde Park for 106 pounds including breakfast. This is the good price for a better hotel in London. The Tripadvisor-reviews were pretty good, so I booked it.
In an email I asked the hotel for a quiet room and a baby cot, which was confirmed.

At arriving of course no one knew of that email. I got a room to the front side, which was very loud (main road just 5 yards in front of the building and english windows never shut tight) and no baby cot.
I asked for a change and then got a room to the back. This was much better, especially not so loud, as the back side goes to a pretty quiet court. A baby cot was brought and okay (also no linens for it - we took a towel).

All in all the hotel room was quite new and nice. Of course with the baby cot it was full, but London hotel rooms are never big. We slept very well.

Breakfast was okay. Because of a very large tour group at the time of our breakfast it was quite full and the service had some problems to get away the dirty dishes etc.

All in all: Not perfect, but for a London hotel quite good. The location at the Kensington Gardens Park is very nice, if you want to jog in the morning or just take a walk. The next subway is around the corner.
But make sure to get a room to the back!"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

fabulous hotel

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"just got back from three nights at the hyde park ramada. booked through superbreak but found their brochure reviews and trip advisor reviews never matched up on nearly every hotel. the public reviews were always worse.
the reveiw for the ramada was very good so i booked it. it was excellent,. room exactly as requested. across the road from hyde park and in a great area. the staff were all unbelievably pleasant. the bar was great. the reception friendly and helpful. the breakfast was faultless. would give it 10 out of 10. book with confidence."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of August 2006

Totally disliked this hotel and would never tell people to stay there!

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"We too were on one of the Globus Tours and arrived a day early as PLANNED. We had the vouchers but the hotel was not expecting us, even though they took the voucher. We were led to an elevator that didn't have room enough for the 3 of us and our bags. We aren't large people and one of us a child.
The room, as well as the lobby and hallway was overpowered by smoke. We had of course requested non-smoking room but given this room because it was called a "triple".
A cot was brought in for my daughter. It almost fit in the room. The bags (3 total) had to be placed on top of each other because the room was so small.
Housekeeping.....I can't really say there was any. Beds and cot simply had the sheet pulled up and pillows placed. Towels were hung up and still damp from morning shower. Half used bottle of water was left right were it was with the cap next to it and replacement bottles simply weren't!
The bathroom was dirty from arrival time until we left 3 days later. Very outdated and rust was even on the tub drain as well as the shower head. I am not even sure the toilets were ever cleaned.
I saw no pants press, nor was there any space to put one.
The charge for this filthy place was $347.00 USD.
The food was simply the same over and over. Not a real creative chef in this place."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

Good Location, Great Staff, Decent place to stay

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We recently visited london again and we were not able to book a room at the Winston Churchill (Was Intercontinental..now Hyatt). We let our travel agent book us at Ramada Jarvis with some trepidation. The pictures listed were not that wonderful and to be honest compared to the Churchill it wouldn't hold up...but wait....

We were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It is directly across the street from an entrance into Hyde Park near Kensinton Palace. Very easy to get to and the park is always a great place to run, walk, play with your children. Very wonderful place to visit.

The staff at the hotel were gracious, funny and very responsive to our needs. We had our children with us and they very kindly adhered to our requests to put us next to, adjoining or across from one another. They upgraded our rooms and quite frankly that in itself was enough to make us want to be return customers.

The only bad thing, if I had to mention, is that with your accomodation...you get a continental breakfast....sort of. It was quite confusing. It's not at all separated in the dining area, so we had to make sure to caution the children to only take the cold foods or we would have been charged 25 pounds for breakfast. I think they should take a look at how to better that service, and look at the cost.

The rooms were decent sized. The rooms with two twin beds were actually larger than the room with the queen bed. The one thing that I did not care for is that the loo is right in view of the bed, so if you had to get up in the middle of the night...you had to have the light on right in front of your husband/wife and that is just not a good layout. The bathrooms were good size, the water pressure was great. Overall a good room situation.

The staff are the Ramada Jewels! Anthony was one of our favorites and from the bartenders to the front desk staff, we just couldn't have asked for a nicer group of people to deal with.

We would definitely visit this hotel again!"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006

Great Hotel near Kensington Palace

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed here as part of a tour group for 3 days. The location is walking distance from Kensington Palace and located between the Underground Queens Gate and Notting Ham terminals. The entrance to the hotel is on the side street, not the main street as we had expected. The main London attractions are a distance away, but reachable by bus or the Underground.

Our room had 2 twin beds that were firm, and that slid together adequately. The nicest feature for my tall husband, was the extra long bathtub in the bathroom!

Staff was very courteous and friendly. Our room was cleaned daily, and stocked with fresh towels and complimentary soaps. Each time we entered the hotel from our excursioins, we were greeted with a friendly, warm smile and hello.

Although we liked our stay very much, we would probably choose a hotel closer to the main attractions on our next stay."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006

Hotels near DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park

Top traveller tips for DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park

• travelnut by travelnut

"Dont use this hotel, you could get your credit/debit card information stolen "

DoubleTree by Hilton - London Hyde Park is also called