Nice for business

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I stayed in this hotel over night as I was working the London Boat Show 2008 at Excel - which is just a golf buggy ride away!

The hotel itself was good and clean, the staff helpful, and the breakfast was yummy.

My room was very comfortable as was the bed and the bathroom was clean and well presented.

All in all, it is good if you need access to Excel or are staying overnight in order to go to the O2 Arena however it is in a bit of a run down area, and I would not use it as a "holiday" hotel - it's more for business or as I said, the O2 Arena."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of January 2008

Good hotel great for london city airport

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We booked ths hotel because we were going to a concert at the o2 arena. its easy to find in the excel area of london.
The hotel has a free carpark (we left our car there for a night after we had checked out and noone seemd to mind)
you can walk to the airport across a bridge and although it is close, once in the hotel there is no noise whatsoever from the planes.
Check in was efficient and staff are friendly. our room was good with a nice clean modern bathroom.
hotel is a 5 minute walk to the DLR (docklands light railway) which is about 25 mins from central london and about 15 to the o2 arena.
Staff were very accomodating with 3am room service and even brought the chip and pin machine up so i wouldnt have to go down in my pyjamas!!! They also refused a tip!!
Check out was fine and i left my bag in their storage room with no hassle."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of January 2008

Pleasant Christmas Trip

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My Partner and I recent had a long weekend in this hotel on a recent trip to london. We picked it for easy access to London City Airport. Unknown to us at the time of arrival, it is an easy 10 minute walk with the footpath coming out directly at the hotel. Altho we since discovered the hotel have a shuttle bus but we had a wee trip on the DLR which required changing trains. Altho the walk to the airport isn't very well sign posted but was found in the end.

Arriving at the hotel early, we weren't allowed to check in early but were given secure facilities to leave our luggage within the hotel in order to enjoy our morning in London. The hotel is situated nicely between 2 DLR stations. Area is desserted which is a bit uncomfortable at night but it is lit and we encountered no problems.

Staff at the hotel appeared to be a mixed bag. Girl on reception when we first entered the hotel didn't speak very good english and wasn't keen to helping. Other staff were happy to help.
Hotel is very quiet and relaxing. Once inside the hotel there was no noise from other guests, the DLR or the airport. Even with the hotel full of Spice Girls concert go-ers.

The standard room was a fair size and was very clean & tidy. only down side we found was the tea/coffee facilities was inside the wardrobe and needed taking out in order to be plugged in. Was quite awkward and the milk/cream wasn't of a good quality. Room had temperature control and was very comfortable.
In the lift area, there is a seating area with views over the river.

We stayed 2 nights and had breakfast each morning as part of our package. The weekend breakfast was slightly better quality than the week day selection altho both had a large selection of both hot & cold foods. Dairy products however were passed their sell by date which appears to have been overlooked by the staff. the dining room overlooks the river which makes for a pleasant dining.

Overall, the hotel helped make it a great weekend."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of December 2007

Wonderful hotel

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Stayed in this hotel as part of a package to see King Tut's exhibition. What a bargain, fantastic room, service was excellent, all staff members were more than helpful and beautiful surroundings. It is withn a 5 min walk from the Docklands Railway giving you access to central London for under £5 for a day ticket travel where you like!!!

Room was spotless, plenty of tea and coffee and enough choice of pillows, extra bedding extra.

Will be staying here again."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of November 2007

It's Okay!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"This hotel is a little out of the way but the plus is that the DLR is a 4 minute walk which will link you to just about anywhere you need to travel to in London. The staff could have been a little bit friendlier since it is a hotel and hospitality should be one of their main goals. There were no problems with checking in early. As far as the rooms are concerned, I think they need to renovate a great deal. Our ceiling had a long crack in it and the decor was rather blah. The matress was not that great as well.

Overall, you get what you pay for with the hotel! As I mentioned, my plus was the location because you are only steps away for the DLR.

Also for those that enjoy the art of exercise, there is a small room that poses as an exercise room with an outdated treadmill, elliptical machine, and bicycle. You can also opt for a jog around the docklands.

If you are looking for a quick place to eat and shop, Canary Wharf is only a few train stops away on the DLR."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of November 2007

Fabulous hotel, bit out of the way though

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Fantastic hotel, fantastic staff, fantastic breakfast but most fantastic was the shower!

The location is a bit out of the way but London is easily accessable with Prince Regent DLR 5 min walk from the front door of the hotel. I stayed in another hotel directly prior to this and this is brilliant value for money if you are willing to travel a little longer to get where you want. There is also ample free parking to the front of the hotel. And the view is fantastic from the side of the hotel of the Thames, directly beside the London City Airport but not once was I disrupted by the sounds of planes.

A very pleasant stay and I highly recommend it."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of October 2007

South London location

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Newly renovated Ramada in the rapidly growing South London/Docklands Canary Wharf area. Location is must more advantageous for those attending events at the new O2 arena than central London. It's a good 90 minutes from Heathrow via 2 underground lines and the Dockland Light Rail system; would be a 75 pound cab ride ($150), yikes but literally a 10-15 minutes walk to the London City Airport. Staff is friendly, restaurant and bar are what you would expect from Ramada. Clean rooms and bathrooms, standard size room from UK/Europe."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of October 2007

We wonlt be using again

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"I stayed here with a colleague on business. We were working at Canary Wharf and this was the nearest we could get. I won't be recommending this place to any of my colleagues.

The rooms were nice and clean and very spacious - I was upgraded to a suite. Breakfast was good and so was room service.

The thing that lets this place down is the location and the mini cab service they insist on using. The hotel is located in the run down and desolate area of the docklands. So unless you're there for the o2 arena, you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and an expensive cab ride to anywhere of any interest.

If you are going here - take a supply of taxi numbers with you, becuse the firm the hotel uses is useless. The first night we asked for a cab to take us to a party in Chelsea - it took nearly two hours to get there because the driver didn't know where he was going and didn't have satnav. In fact he started to get rather angry with us because we didn't have any directions for him - usually an exact address and postcode is enough for most taxi drivers to find their way. The next morning we asked for a cab at 8.30am - at 9.45am we were still waiting for it to arrive and when it did, we had the same irrate driver as the night before - not uncomfortable at all!

Overall - this is not a bad place if you can get a good deal and somewhere to rest your head for the night, but do call for your own taxis."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of September 2007

Get what you pay for...

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I chose this hotel as a base for my husband and I whilst we visited our familys in the UK. It was conveniently siutated in the Docklands which makes it easy to travel between East London, South London, Hertfordshire and Essex.

I booked a Suite. The suite was smaller than I had expected. It had 1 bedroom, a lounge with limited kitchen facilities and a bathroom. The bed was fine if not a little small. We were staying 8 nights and were provided with 5 hangers ? I requested more (twice) and ended up with a total of 10 hangers - I eventually got more from my Mum.

The lounge had a 2 seater sofa and 2 armchairs. They were hard and uncomfortable. The telly was fine but didnt have access to Sky (foxtel). Their in house video library was poor, offering 18 old films and expected to charge 7.50 GBP per film !

The kitchenette had a small fridge and provided limited crockery and cutlery. They did not provide washing up liquid, tea towels, paper-towels or a sponge to wash up with, we had to buy that...
They also did not provide a corkscrew and when we asked to use one from the restaurant they said we would have to bring it back quickly as it was the only one !

We used the tea-bags provided and once gone were never replenished (same goes for the shower cap?).

The suite did not have a washing machine so I enquired about a laundry service. Firstly due to the majority of the staff being from eastern europe trying to communicate effectivley was frustrating to say the least. I am from London and found it really annoying when a member of staff did not understand the word "knickers" ( I was asking how much it was to launder underwear ) she had to ask a collegure to take my call. When we finally broke through the language barrier I discovered they charged 3.30 GBP ( around 8 AUD) for each piece of underwear....
Suffice to say I did not use this service.

The staff were friendly enough but to be honest their understanding of the english language wasnt great and so their spoken english was poor. Not what you expect in the heart of London.

Location is good. Hotel is clean, but thats it. An average experience."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of September 2007

Loved the hotel but too far from main sites in London.

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Location:
Far from central London. Took us about an hour on the metro/DLR to get where the attractions and sites were. No restaurants around. About 5 blocks to the DLR which connects to the metro. Hotel in Zone 3 so metro is more expensive, though not much.

Room:
Very nice. Clean spacious. We were really happy with the room. Has Air-conditioning. No noise at all. Had one window with an ok view. We had a room for 3 which consisted of a queen size bed and a fold out bed from the sofa. All 3 beds were really comfortable. Very clean.
Had many outlets and the hotel would let you borrow adapters needed.

Bathroom:
Big very clean. Included shampoo, conditioning, body lotion, shower caps, good quality soap. Excellent bathroom.

Service:
Very friendly. Had a restaurant and bar with somewhat expensive food. WIFI internet around bar area."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of August 2007