The Suite at the Crowne Plaza London - The City

Excellent Location, Excellent Hotel

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Have travelled to England about 15 times and this is the best hotel I have stayed at in London. It is directly across the street from Blackfriars tube and the location is central to everything. The rooms were modern, immaculately clean, quiet, and very attractive. The non-smoking rooms were actually truly non-smoking. I will definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: 5th April 2006

Nice Rooms / Expensive Extras

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Stayed here over the weekend; faultlessly nice room / bathroom. Service was excellent, and it's very good for access too (exit 8 from Blackfriars practically leads into the hotel). On the downside, as a leisure traveller this was VERY expensive in terms of room service / breakfast / entertainment, etc. £10/movie, £17/buffet breakfast, £20/basic room breakfast, minibar was hilariously expensive [we didn't need to buy a movie as we were having too much fun checking the prices out]. The other slight downside, staying here over the weekend, since it's in the financial district everything is closed ALL DAY Saturday & Sunday. So nice & quiet then, if that's what you're after. By the way, we got it for $100 per night Priceline."

• Travel date: 19th March 2006

Pretty standard stuff....

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"Stayed at the Crowne Plaza last weekend, as part of a theatre package, booked online. Was obviously a good deal, as the prices advertised within the hotel were very high. We had a twin room which was clean and pleasant, but by no means five-star standard. I would go as far as to say that is was Travel Lodge standard with some nice sheets and a few ornaments! Couldn't believe the price of internet access, listening to albums and the vastly overpriced mini-bar and selection of snacks. I believe it's standard these days but, be aware that if you as much as pick up something from the mini-bar, it is automatically charged to your bill if not put back within 20 seconds. We picked up the small £3.95 jar of cashew nuts and then had to tell reception staff that we hadn't eaten them and could they be removed from our bill. I don't like being put in that position- I don't even like cashew nuts!! The hairdryer was a box-on-the-wall-with-a-tube one like you find in a swimming baths and my friend found it almost impossible to use as the tube part got so hot it burned her hand. For the price guests are paying, a proper hand held dryer would be nice.... Molton Brown stuff in the bathroom was lovely. Huge queue for breakfast and not enough staff on duty, but loads of choice and good quality food. Reception and general hotel staff are lovely, polite and helpful. Overall, my feeling was that it was not a five-star hotel in many ways but pleasant enough and well located, particularly for the Tate Modern and St Pauls Cathedral."

• Travel date: 20th February 2006

First league!

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"We stayed at the CP-The City for two nights over the weekend. As PC Plat. Ambassador we got an upgrade to one of their beautiful club rooms. The lounge service is limited over the weekend but still on an acceptable level. Very stylish and warm hotel. Excellent staff. Tube station and bus stop are a step away, a pub is across the street and many nice and affordable restaurants are nearby. The nicest CP I know (a disguised InterContinental)."

• Travel date: 19th January 2006

Flawless

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"The perfect location. My room was wondefully appointed and the staff went above and beyond. This hotel is number one on my list for hotels in London. From the sleek martini to bar to front of house staff who were friendly, efficient and went out of their way to make my stay memorable. I consider myself a seasoned traveller and would highly recommend this hotel!"

• Travel date: 9th November 2005

Fantastic hotel!

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Crown Plaza - the City. We absolutely LOVED it. We stayed on the Club level, and it's far worth the difference in price. Unlike most everyone else, we found the breakfast to be truly good (this what included in the Club room charge, and was provided by the restaurant Belugo - so it may be different). Also, it was over the weekend. The hotel is very clean, and in a great location. The thing that impressed me the most about this hotel was the staff. We didn't come across a single staff member that was unpleasant. Almost all of them went out of their way to help us - especially when I woke up incredibly sick one morning. I highly recommend this hotel, and will most definitely stay there again. **If you are traveling to the hotel from Heathrow - a quick piece of advice. Take the tube. It takes about an hour from the airport, but costs less than 4 GBP (a taxi will take almost as long for 55 GBP). Take the Picadilly line (blue), to the District line and change at Acton Town. You will literally only have to hop across the platform to get on the District line. If you wait til some of the other stations, then you may have to climb up and down steps with your luggage. Trust me, I learned this the hard way! Then take the District train to the Blackfrairs station, and use exit 8. The hotel will be directly in front of you. There's a few steps while exiting at Blackfrairs, but not terrible."

• Travel date: 29th August 2005

Great Hotel - Pity about Breakfast

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"I agree with other comments, but like visitor in May 2005 found the breakfast disappointing. Great to discover, then, round the corner at the far end of Tudor Street, the AM breakfast buffet bar open from 5am!! Great service, great food, great price."

• Travel date: 27th June 2005

Lovely hotel, a pleasure to stay in

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"We loved this hotel - got a great online rate mid-week. It's one minute from Blackfriars station, and an easy walk to St Pauls, Strand, Covent Garden etc. Very smart, contemporary rooms, comfortably, with friendly staff. Would stay there each time I go to London if I could get a good rate!"

• Travel date: 19th June 2005

Very pleasant indeed

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"Truly unexpected experience. The hotel sites right on the tube line and is very centrally located only one block from the Thames River. From the moment I walked in I was impressed. Very updated and modern decor. The staff was very polite and friendly, not to mention very helpful. The underground was down that day and they helped me find the right buses to take me to my destinations. Very professional indeed. Being a weekend and that the hotel is in the financial district, I was given a free upgrade to the Club Floor (7th floor). This was a very nice room. Very upscale and polished. Probably the nicest bathroom of all, far better than any Hilton/ Hyatt or Fairmont I have stayed in. The room had internet access with a keyboard and all the amneties you would expect and then some (robes, slippers, CD/DVD player, iron and even a machine that presses your slacks in a few seconds in the armoir. I payed 120.00 US on priceline and it was so much nicer than anything else I found for that price range..I am not sure what the other floors/rooms were like, but the Club Floor is very refined. Would very much recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 5th June 2005

Great hotel and great staff

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"I am a regular visitor to London and have stayed at just about all the InterCon's, Holiday Inn's and Crowne Plaza's in London. I have to say that I was very, very impressed with the hotel. It is next to Blackfriars tube/Thameslink which is very handy if you are travelling into the City from Gatwick. It is also relatively easy to walk into the City and St Pauls is only a short walk away. For those of you that like Starbucks (I do) there is one directly across the road from the hotel. There was only one person at Check-in at 7pm and the receptionist was almost done with another customer and I had only to wait a minute or two. She apologised for keeping me, which I thought was a nice touch. If it had been several minutes, yes, but a couple. Good start. I had been upgraded to a Club Level room (that Platinum Elite Priority Card does come in handy) and given access to the Club lounge. It has a nice view out towards the Thames and has a great selction of beers as well as soft drinks and wine. The breakfast in the morning, although not a huge selection was good and tasty. My room faced out towards the back of the hotel away from the main road. There were huge oversized pillows which are great to watch TV with as they give great support (although there was a comfy chair for that as well!) and were comfortable for sleeping. Bed and bedding were excellent as was the air con (although a little noisy) which for me was set at artic as I'm from Scotland and I prefer it cool. Bathroom had a great shower and nice Molton Brown shower gel and other goodies. Lots of nice, fluffy towels and bathrobes. The shower had a nice glass panel rather than a shower curtain and I am sure that anyone who travels a lot and has done battle with creeping shower curtains will appreciate a power shower without having to fight off the curtain. I had a couple of meetings in the City and I was able to easily arrange late check-out which was handy. Finally, I managed to forget my mobile. I noticed about 20 minutes later and when I went back to the hotel, expecting it to have walked, it was actually all wrapped up and at reception. If that is not impressive service what is? Well worth staying here and I will certainly be back."

• Travel date: 2nd June 2005