King Club Room

Enjoyed Our Stay

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"We stayed at the Holiday Inn London-Kensington, 100 Cromwell Road (not to be confused with the Forum) from June 9th to the 16th and I was very pleased with it. Our room had French doors which opened and overlooked the garden at the back of the hotel. The size of the room was adequate and, apparently, if our travel agent is to be believed, this was one of the few hotels in London that could accomodate 3 people. The room itself was very nice and well-maintained, although our housekeeper never seemed to grasp the fact that there were 3 of us in the room, in spite of the 3 toothbrushes on display in the bathroom, so we were always short a glass and short on the coffee/tea supplies, but we never bothered to complain. By the way, if you're American and love your coffee, be aware that you'll be drinking instant coffee with milk--not cream--most places that you dine. Horrible! Anyway, back to the hotel: the bathtub stood about one foot above the floor and was difficult to climb out of--dont' know how I would have managed it if I were a senior citizen/pensioner. But, there was instant hot water and the AC worked just fine--we had to use our room "key" to operate the electricity in the room. I was surprised to find that wash cloths were provided, but I recommend bringing your own soap and shampoo. The squeeze bottle of combination body wash/shampoo in the shower stall was just not cutting the mustard. Breakfast was not included in our price for the room (which was 99 BP/night) and we did have breakfast there one morning at a cost of about $60.00, (or 13.00 BP per person--darned exchange rate!) so, needless to say, we did not return. No complaint about the breakfast itself, but it was just too dear. Fortunately, there are many places to eat nearby and a Waitrose grocery store directly across the street from the hotel. The Glouster Road tube station is also directly across the road, so this hotel is perfectly situated and the area is very safe and rather posh--the buildings on Cromwell Road reminded me of "Upstairs, Downstairs". Finally, the staff were very courteous and the concierge answered our questions adequately. Would I stay here again? Absolutely!!"

• Travel date: 18th June 2004

False advertising, lies, incompetence

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"VERY UNSATISFACTORY hotel. Three of us stayed there May 19-25,2004 in tw0 separate rooms. THIS HOTEL WRECKED A FULL DAY AND A HALF OF OUR TIME IN LONDON. I booked months ago. One smoking room and one non-smoking room, and received e-mail confirmation. I requested early arrival. We received our rooms about 11 am. but my room was a non-smoking room, so we had to be moved to another room. This room was unsatisfactory because it overlooked the street and had a view of only a rail outside when I had specifically requested a view of the courtyard. About 2 pm a smoking room with the courtyard view became available. The 6th floor is the only smoking floor in the hotel and THE WINDOWS DO NOT OPEN AT ALL. THERE IS NO VENTILATION. The Holiday Inn home website specifically states that the rooms are air-conditioned. LIES! (A staff of the Montana Hotel next door explained that the ac in the hotel had been broken foir TWO years!). The hotel asserted that the hotel had AIR COOLING, NOT Air-Conditioning. However, May 19 was warm in London, the hall on the 6th floor was like a furnace (90+degrees --too hot even if there was a bizzard outside) --and no ventilation and windows sealed hut. My 89 year old mom and I constantly quibble over the thermostat temperatures because she likes very warm temperatures but even she was MISERABLE. We brought the manager up to the room and complained. We told them we wanted to cancel the rest of our stay immediately.We talked to guest relations of the Holiday Inn and explained that we were Priority Rewards members (the hotel had us down under two different promotions). Guest relations tried to sell us rooms at the Holiday Inn Mayfair for more than twice the price. We were brought two fans.The next morning I requested to be put through to Priority Rewards on the phone. The hotel told me it was a long-distance call to Belgium at my expense. I then asked to be connected to Holiday Inn guest relations again, who connected me for free to Priority Rewards --who explained NEVER to complain to Holiday Inn guest relations but to go to Priority Rewards directly, and they would follow up with our complaints to the hotel directly. Priority Rewards also checked around for availaibility at a truly ac hotel at our AAA rate. The Kensington moved us about 2 pm (second day) to a better room on the first floor with one door that opened onto the courtyard: a nonsmoking room that they let us smoke in. The room overlooked the GARBAGE DUMPSTER but at least we had ventilation. The temperature had cooled outside so we decided to stay. It was not just us. Our companion on the 5th floor in a non-smoking room had a window that opened and he also suffered that first night. He also got a fan. I met a lady on the sixth floor that first night by the ice machine. She was just in for one night, and at 11 pm she was looking for another hotel because she didn't think she could take the heat and suffocation for that one night. She got a fan after talking to me. I also met numerous others in the hotel staying on the sixth floor even after the temperature cooled and they were very unhappy with the lack of ventilation. But the expression on the gentleman's face coming out of his room across from us after that first night was just priceless: dazed and miserable. Also I had to request numerous times for ANY amenities, ie a bar of soap. We were finally given a TINY bar of soap. We were told to just use the squeezable Dove soap dispensers in the shower and by the washbasin--which are difficult to squeeze if you have carpal tunnel in the right hand or are 89 yrs old. I finally got a shower cap. Forget shampoo. I was told by the chief housekeeper to use the Dove soap used for bathing in the shower. The toilet in the first room often would not flush, and the drains in the bathtub and sink were very slow to drain. The toilet in the second room was easier to flush, but the drain in the bathtub was worse than in the first room. I am requested compensation from Priority Rewards for that first miserable night. And perhaps writing Omnibus at Condo Nast Traveler for totally wrecking one and a half days in London."

• Travel date: 26th May 2004

Great Value

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"This hotel is a great value. I wasn't sure what I would get for 125 pounds per night but I was pleasantly surprised. As you may know, getting a hotel in London for less than $200/night is not easy especially with the exchange rate. However, this hotel is in a good location near the Gloucester tube station. You can walk to Kensington Palace Gardens, Harrods and Knightsbridge, the science museums and the Victoria and Albert Museum. Traveling with a young child, I was also pleased with the travel cot provided in the room and a grocery store right across the street to buy snacks, drinks, etc. The rooms were nothing special but they were roomy enough, clean and the staff were friendly and accomodating. The breakfast was a great surprise - fresh fruit, pastries, cereals, eggs, sausage, etc. I have stayed in more expensive places in London and was not as satisfied as I was with this hotel."

• Travel date: 18th May 2004

Great place to stay

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"My family stayed at this hotel for 7 days last month. The hotel is ideally situated across from the tube station, a grocery store and down the street from a post office. The post office also has currency exchange and tickets for tours and theater performances. Very handy. The rooms were clean and quiet. We faced the back garden which was very nice. The room became a little small for 3 adults staying for a week but for a shorter stay would not be a problem. The neighborhood is lovely and seemed quite safe. The full buffet breakfasts were complete and very good. The hotel restaurant had an Asian-Mediterranean twist that was not really to our taste so we only ate there twice. We were in Great Britain for 3 weeks and this was at the top of our list of hotels. We would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: 27th April 2004

Very Nice Hotel

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"I have stayed with my family at the Holiday Inn London Kensington last year in August. The rooms are very specious, we had two twin rooms they were both with double beds and interconnecting. We have enjoyed staying there. The hotel has very large garden which is wonderful, I havent expected to have some nice, quiet and relaxing holiday in London, this Hotel was the best choice in London we have ever stayed."

• Travel date: 18th April 2004

Enjoyable stay at the Holiday Inn Kensington

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Our family enjoyed recent stay Holiday Inn - London (Kensington). Rooms were sleek and with definite Eurpoean style. Lobby and public areas tastefully decorated. We didn't have any meals at the hotel (our rate did not include breakfast) so can't comment on food service, but the restaurant was packed most mornings of our stay so other guests obviously liked it. Staff was mostly friendly, some more than others but nothing to complain about. The hotel is in a great location, right near the Glouster Rd tube -- a definite plus. Overall, I definitely recommend this property; it is small and "intimate" unlike it's big brother (Forum hotel) down the road."

• Travel date: 13th April 2004

got my airline rate here

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"I've stayed here 2 times in the past 5 yrs. I like the location and the rooms are standard Holiday Inn rooms large with nice big bathroom, we have stayed here when we had 3 people as many London hotels don't have enough room for 3 and one time it was a senior cit with us and we needed to be close to tube and have elevators. The cost was 87.00 pounds and that was 1/2 price since I work for an airline. So needless to say I wouldnt stay here if I had to pay full rate. We didnt have breakfast inc but there are many places to eat right in the area and the fact that there is a small shopping ctr next to hotel with a Boots pharmacy and 2-3 restaurants made it convenient--they also held our bags when we got the early in the AM cuz we couldnt check in that early. Staff seemed to be nice--I have no problems with this hotel would stay again if I got the rate."

• Travel date: 23rd March 2004

Holiday Inn Kensington good value

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"The Holiday Inn 21 day advance plan allowed us a good rate for London. Many hotels change by the person while Holiday Inn charges by the room. Did not include breakfast...we hopped across the street to the Waitrose for muffins and yoguart which was very affordable. Our room was small but not by London standards...very comfortable. Only a short walk to Natural Muesum of History and a bit longer to Harrods! Only complaint...don't ask them to get you an early morning taxi...we ended up with a private driver...and paid twice what a taxi would have been to Victoria...flag down your own taxi!"

• Travel date: 23rd March 2004

Run Down

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Have stayed here before and whilst a good location directly opposite Gloucester Rd tube and on the Heathrow line or just as near Paddington for heathrow express on circle line the rooms are starting to suffer. This time (5 day stay in March 2004) air in the water pipes caused loud shuddering throught he night and the room thermostat did not work - despite being reported. Otherwise clean, reasonable breakfast and friendly staff. Howwever, will probably go elsewhere next time"

• Travel date: 14th March 2004

Excellent

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"We were in London on a package deal that we actually bought while living in Spain. The hotels looked great in the brochure, but what a suprise when we got there. We were supposed to stay in the Hotel Majestic, just down the road from the Holiday Inn Kensington. It was nasty, hairs all over, dirty rooms, just a mess. After staying there one night we decided it would ruin our christmas trip and that we needed to find another hotel. We stopped in at the Holiday Inn Kensington and it was excellent. The lady at the front desk understood our situation and was very accomodating throughout our trip. The rooms were immaculate, cozy, and offered a bunch of ammenities. On christmas day we just stayed in the hotel room and handed out gifts and it felt almost like home. I would definitely reccomend this hotel to others!"

• Travel date: 12th March 2004