Four Poster Room

Good

great location great little hotel

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"My sister and I were booked for 6 nights at the cranely(Dec 14-19) through an auction bid we had won through luxurylink(this is the best rate/offer you will get for this hotel). our package included an executive room with breakfast, all taxes, and the complimentary canapes, tea, champagne in the hotel lounge. What makes this hotel great is the staff. Especially the reception/concierge. Very responsive and informative. The rooms even for an excutive are pretty small so i would hate to see the regular size rooms( then again everything in London is mini sized). great linens and the bed is amazing to sleep on. Breakfast is served in your room and you can even indicate beyond the time suggested on the order card when you would like to be served. Hot pressurized showers, fluffy hot towels, Bathrobe and slippers including mini toilettries, are all added comforts that are great after our long days spent shopping and seeing the sights. Another issue that i cannot forget to mention is the location of this property (South Kensigton) pubs, restuarants are litterly around the corner, including the V&A and natural history museum. Farther down you will find royal albert hall hyde and Kensigton park. all within walking distance. If you are like us and enjoy walking you will enjoy this hotel including its proximity to the metro, which i suggest using to get around london. Now why i rated this hotel as a 4 and note a 5 is for small things really; we were located on the 3rd floor and above us there seems to be other occupants not belonging to the hotel that whenever they would walk/talk were very audible and kept us up for our entire stay( they could not move us as the hotel was full at the time). Room service would forget small things for breakfast a spoon or our order or were late in delivering breakfast. Breakfast in general was also limited and you could not add extra beyond what is on the order card. Over all would defintely come back to this hotel if i am ever back in london for a vacation for it coziness, location, and service, an so should you if you like small personalized hotels."

• Travel date: 24th December 2004

The Cranley has new converts!

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I have stayed at the Cranley a number of times on both business and on vacation last summer with my teenage son. In November I was able to convince two other seasoned London business travellers to try out the Cranley with me while we were in town. We took three Exec rooms on the lower level -- the rooms were very spacious, great amenities and the flat screen TV's were bonus. Upon arriving late after a train ride from the Midlands, we were greated by name as we entered -- which greatly impressed my fellow travellers. We relaxed with a drink while completing the check in procedure. The staff was great as always! The location is very handy to the Gloucester Tube and we used the tube to avoid London traffic which was very convenient. My two US companions both concluded that they now have a new hotel for their London travel. One of the gentlemen remarked how very impressed he was by the small touches and attention to detail -- even the individually printed tissue boxes -- not something you expect in a 30+ room hotel not affiliated with a chain. Great choice -- you will not be dissapointed."

• Travel date: 22nd December 2004

Just as reported, if not better!

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Since I discovered Trip Advisor I always check before I book a hotel anywhere in the world. The Cranley is a rare find at a reasonable price for London. The hotel staff were charming and most helpful. The room was lovely; just as I expected from the reports on the website. They are very proud of their position (it's now 2nd; it was 3rd last week when I booked!) and they are hoping to improve that still further. Travelling alone on business can sometimes be awkward for a woman but the atmosphere at The Cranley is such that I felt completely at ease. The complimentary glass of champagne before I left for a dinner engagement in the City was most welcome. Breakfast was excellent and very good value for money. A little further away from the business centre but such a refreshing change from the nearer, but unpleasant hotels, in the same price range. Very much worth taking an extra 10 minute tube journey to do business! A little gem."

• Travel date: 2nd December 2004

Charming Edwardian Townhouse

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"We've just returned from a 5 night stay at the Cranley. We had considered many properties in London but felt the charm of this Townhouse in a quiet neighborhood in South Kensington would be the perfect night's rest after a busy day. And it was. From the moment we arrived were we were graciously met by a charming staff to the day of our departure when a quality mercedes was quietly waiting to usher us to the next part of our journey. The staff were personal but knew exactlly when to give you your space. They were very helpful and I hope if you stay here you have an oppourtunity to meet Hassan and Melanie. The room was excellent - tall ceilings and beautifully decorated with an old world charm. We have stayed in several places in London but no bed was more luxurious than the bed at The Cranley. The bathroom was meticulous and for the first time in all my stays in London I found myself looking forward to taking a bath to brush the cobwebs away from a busy day. The Indian restaurant two doors away is excellent. The tube is a short walk and we felt fortunate that the Piccadilly Line was available at Gloucster. The Cranley was a perfect respite and we look forward to making it our home again on our next visit to London."

• Travel date: 28th November 2004

Great weekend at the Cranley

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"We stayed at the Cranley for a weekend earlier this year. We picked the hotel based upon the good reviews we read on this site and we weren't at all disappointed. You know you're in a very good hotel as soon as you walk into the Cranley. You are offered a drink as soon as you walk in and the check in is very professionally handled. The rooms (we only chose a basic room) was spacious and clean with a very nice bathroom. The décor was very good indeed and the bed and furnishings very comfortable. The location of the hotel is very good being on a quiet road yet very close (5 mins walk) to both Gloucester Road and South Kensington tube stations. All in all probably the best hotel I've found in London and worth every penny."

• Travel date: 24th November 2004

Great hotel in a good location.

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"We stayed at the Cranley in September, choosing it after many, many hours of pondering hotels on various online sites. It was a great choice, and mucho thanks to Trip Advisor and TA's patrons for highlighting it. We passed by some of the other hotels during our stay and were so happy we'd chosen the Cranley. Its location is great. it's near enough to a major road to have easy access to restaurants (including a great Indian restaurant just 3 doors down, excellent for those nights when you're just too weary to go any farther). But Old Brompton Rd. is only a medium-sized major road, so the Cranley still feels like it's in a neighborhood. The underground is a bit of a walk, but a nice walk, and very convenient to lots of lines. The staff was very helpful, even though the London taxis didn't always cooperate. And the room--we had a smallish room on the 2rd floor--was a great combination of beauty and comfort, which made it just perfect for restoring us after a long long day of touring. One small thing: if you bring your laptop, ask ahead to make sure there's a working connection. In our room, the connection wasn't operational. The hotel offered a room switch, but it was to a lower-ceilinged room of essentially the same size, and we decided it wasn't worth the effort of moving."

• Travel date: 17th November 2004

Great Experience at the Cranley!

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"The Cranley was a superb boutique hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful and provided many amenities, including afternoon tea, drinks and snacks during late afternoon hours. The rooms were very clean and included flat screen TVs. They were also big enough with ample closet space and a nice sized marble bathroom with quality toiletries provided. It is in a beautiful neighborhood and within a five minute walk to the subway and a Starbucks! Many restaurants surround the hotel. The only downside is that each time you leave, you must surrender your key to the front desk. When you return, you buzz to get in and they give your key back."

• Travel date: 3rd November 2004

Very nice, but overlooked some little details.

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"I spent a weekend with my boyfriend in the Cranley recently. I booked the romantic package which amongst other things promised an executive double room and Penhaligans bath oil, scented candle and body lotion. Our room was a standard room and not an executive room, I have no doubt about that. It was lovely but very small and did not have a half canister bed, which is apparently the case with their executive rooms. I let this go on the basis that the bed was still lovely and we had a nice view onto the street. When we arrived the bath oil was in the room, but no candle and no body lotion. It is quite embarrassing to have to ask for these things but as they were quoted as part of the package, I did . The candle arrived that evening with the maid service, but I was told by the maid that the 'body lotion' which they had promised was the stuff in the little mini bottles in the bathroom, along with shampoo, shower gel etc (which is surely a standard thing!). I had one tiny bottle of lotion which I was supposed to accept as part of the package!!. My boyfriend then asked the concierge who reiterated the maids explanation - I should have made more of a fuss but I didn't want to seem greedy. I know it is just a small thing but I thought it was a little misleading to advertise this part of the package if they were not intending to follow through with it fully. The package was not cheap and the deciding factor to go with it was the added extras they were offering. Apart from this, I would recommend the Cranley, it is a lovely hotel in a lovely area and the champagne and scones etc are a really lovely touch - I just wish they had stuck to their word when it came to the little things - as they do make a difference!"

• Travel date: 3rd November 2004

The Cranley, THE Place to stay in London!

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"This was simply the most amazing place I have ever stayed in my life. We had a Suite on the roof top, overlooking London, and the view was spectacular. There is nothing better than sitting with your friends enjoying some drinks (from the fully-stocked "honor" bar) in the Hotel Lobby. The Receptionist, Dominic, really went out of his way to make us feel at home. We arrived early in the morning, rang the call button on the front door, and he instantly recognized who we were. You should stay at the Cranley Hotel for the hospitality and the amazing service - you will not regret it."

• Travel date: 1st November 2004

Thumbs UP for Cranley

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Stayed at THE CRANLEY Sept 30 through Oct 4. Staff very professional and responded to every request. Property is spotless. Weekend rates (cheaper - Fri, Sat, Sun) include deluxe continental breakfast which is served in your room AT THE TIME REQUESTED. We had deluxe double, king size, VERY COMFORTABLE, bed. Large room with roomy, very nice bathroom. Linens and towels were luxurious. We stayed in a front room and there was no street noise. It is in a quiet location. We met several repeat customers who have been coming back for years. Property is easy 10 minute walk to the Gloucester road tube. Piccadilly, Circle and District lines all stop there. Plan on using the tube, it is the cheapest and fastest way to go and EASY TO USE. Just one world of caution, do to the layout, to get to our room on the third floor, you could directly up the stairs or take the elavator to the third floor, go up a flight, a few steps and down a flight. It was no problems for us, but it you have issues with stairs you want to be sure to request a room that has direct access to the "lift". THE CRANLEY may not be cheap by US standards but it is not bad by London standards. It was a great place to stay and we would definately return."

• Travel date: 9th October 2004