Covent Garden Hotel

10 Monmouth Street, London WC2H 9HB England

Good

Dissapointed

Reviewed 9 months ago

"This was our second stay at this hotel this year, the first time was in August and we had a very pleasant stay, hence we decided to return for a 2 day break between Christmas and new year. The room itself was ok but not as clean as our original visit, the bed was quite hard and the mattress rolled to the middle! I requested a hair dryer from reception on the first morning, only to be told that there were none and to return in 20mins, I did this but still no hair dryer, I eventually managed to acquire one the next morning! Not helpful when I wanted to wash my hair for our visit to the Theatre. The second evening we decided to eat in the bar, we ordered our food at 6pm, it had still not arrived by 6.55, there were various other people also having the same problem, as we were going to the Theatre we decided we would have to cancel our order, there were 3 other couples doing the same thing. It was not at all busy in the bar with a maximum of 25 people in there, therefore we couldn't understand the delay. My husband had paid cash for our meal so when we explained and asked for our refund he was told that the money would have to be paid back onto his card, as we had paid cash we expected a cash refund but the young man was insistent that he could not do this, eventually we asked to speak to the manager who did give us our cash back. All in all it was a very disappointing trip, which after all wasn't exactly cheap"

• Travel date: Sat 31st of December 2016

Great central location

Reviewed Mon 30th of March 2015

"Brilliant place for a London stay, near the shows, near shopping and next to the lively Covent Garden. Room was very clean, lovely comfortable bed and plentiful supply of coffee and tea from reception. Room was cleaned daily and staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. Would recommend highly!"

• Travel date: Mon 30th of March 2015

Never Again!

Reviewed Sat 30th of June 2012

"The picture above is as opposite to the real room we suffered than you could imagine. Barren, characterless and grotty.
When we arrived, Reception gave us our room key card. It didn't work. We went back to Reception and a staff used her master to let us in our room stating Maintenance would fix it while we were out and on our return, all would be right. Wrong! We returned and nothing had been done. Several other guests had the same issue. To sum up, we had to be let into our room our entire stay. We had no control over what could happen to our property whilst we were out sightseeing.
A bar of soap half the size of a credit card, one face towel and one so-called bath towel between two people.
Breakfast not included, for £100 this was a complete rip-off.
NEVER AGAIN! If this is indicative of Travelodge corporate standards, I'm investing my next £100 in a tent."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of June 2012

Excellent base for exploring London, Clean, Cosy & Friendly Hotel

Reviewed Thu 17th of May 2012

"Returned today after a 3 day break staying at the Covent Garden Travelodge, my first visit to London. The hotel was spotless, room was very clean and warm, lovely shower and we barely heard any noise at all from the moment we arrived to the time we left.
I booked us both breakfast mainly because for £6 'all you could eat' seemed to good to turn down. The food was lovely, good selection of cereals and hot drinks, three fruit juices to choose from and hot grilled food for a hearty breakfast to set you up for the day.
Great base for exploring London, Covent Garden itself is approx 5 minutes walk, tube stations are easily reached by foot, fantastic selection of restaurants,cafe bars and bistros serving food from all corners of the globe.
Would recommend with not a moments hesitation. I'll certainly be returning within the next couple of months as it turned out to be the best short break i've had."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of May 2012

Filthy rooms and arrogant management

Reviewed Thu 26th of January 2012

"Cannot fault the location. Badly let down by being very dirty, blood stained sheets, grubby stained carpet, filthy chair, bathroom fan that did not work, tv that picked up more static than a nylon jumper! Staff quite pleasant however the management are rude and ignorant, they seem to feel they are doing you a favour by providing accomodation. BEST AVOIDED, I would rather pay a little more than stay in the filthy badly managed dump again..."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of January 2012

Hotel taxis

Reviewed Mon 16th of January 2012

"Just to warn other guests. We requested reception order us a taxi to Kings Cross station from the Covent Garden Travel Lodge. On our booking in day the taxi from Kings Cross (black cab) cost £7.80...the reurnt to Kings Cross was not by a black cab and cost us £14.00
Make sure you get the fare agreed before you go, or hail a taxi outside the hotel"

• Travel date: Fri 13th of January 2012

More comfortable if you stay in a cardboard box

Reviewed Sat 8th of October 2011

"Have always stayed at premier inn's across the country but thought I'd try a Travel Lodge because of the excellent location. Wish I hadn't. My wife and I stayed on the 1st October 2011. The overflow on the toilet leaked all night and the mattress on the bed had completely sunk in the middle and looked like an elephant had slept in it for the past year. Couldn't sleep all night as a result and got up with a bad back. To make matters worse I couldn't even have a bath as there was no plug. Stay well away, especially room 204!!!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 6th of October 2011

Tired Rooms

Reviewed Tue 26th of July 2011

"We have just returned home from a 2 Night stay at Travelodge Covent garden Hotel
we refused the 1st room very dirty carpets walls and sofa, broken bed head a lose elect socket
Second Room was a bit better but was still run down poor shower dirty sofa dirty Carpets all walls need re painting
, the location was great the manager was helpful "

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of July 2011

great

Reviewed Fri 22nd of July 2011

"had disabled room fab.on the way to royal garden party staff friendly and caring will stay again if in london"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of July 2011

Basic is too good a word

Reviewed Thu 12th of May 2011

"First it is not in Covent Garden. Don't believe the advert there are no English Staff. You have to ask for towels, pillows and even loo paper. One day we didn't have the room serviced as the maid could not open the door. Every day we had to have the electronic door key reactivated. The so called power shower was as effective as a watering can and the extractor did not work
All in all an expensive cheap B&B Very disappointed"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of May 2011

My one might stay

Reviewed Sat 8th of October 2011

"Having just returned home from a 1 night stay at the travelodge Covent garden I decided to read other reviews before writing this.I travel a lot with my job but have never felt the need to write before.I think most of the other reviewers must have stayed in a different hotel.It was shabby and the single room was so awful I asked to be changed to a different room.They then offered to put me in one of the newer rooms which was exactly the same except the furniture was not from the 1950s.The bed had no mattress protector an looked like something from a junk shop.I then asked for an extra sheet and bedding as the room was cold.The staff were ok but the building was awful.Reading further down I had no idea you could add photos because no one would want to stay in my single room.
The building was very tired and the room reminded me of a college dorm.I understand its a no frills hotel but there is basic and basic I would never stay again.There was also a condemned heater on the wall which the reception staff told me not to switch on but it had no signs on it .It has put me off of travelodge for life ! "

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of March 2011

Awful and Avoid Avoid Avoid!!!!!!

Reviewed Thu 18th of November 2010

"There was a small piece of writing on the website saying it was currently under renovation and some disturbance might happen. We wasn't expecting the entrance to resemble Steptoe's yard, the reception to look dowdy and miserable, the staff to look like they hated it there, the room to have a black hair on the toilet wall, a leaking shower, a shower curtain that didn't reach the floor so even when closed water sprayed everywhere, the view to look directly into the window of the council block opposite, the noise of cleaners outside the room having what must have been an argument in the morning, slamming doors and shouting, and the construction work was so loud, the second morning we were woken by a bang, then a bang so loud that it made us jump, and then a third bang that was so loud it jolted the curtains open. When we left a member of staff was talking to a potential resident, but her customer service was clearly poor and she was poking holes into a piece of paper with a pen. It was the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. The location was mediocre and tucked away down an ally, and at one point there was a gang of kids smoking outside making us residents feel incredibly uncomfortable. I will NEVER stay with a Travelodge again. EVER. Even if it is paid for by work. This time was leisure and it ruined our whole experience and we couldn't wait to leave. NOT worth the £260 we were charged to stay. I've written TWO complaint letters, which we were told we would get a response within 10 days, however nearly a month later no reply to either. DO NOT STAY HERE EVEN AFTER CONSTRUCTION HAS FINISHED!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of November 2010

Hotels near Covent Garden Hotel

Stayed at Covent Garden Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Covent Garden Hotel

• PaulOrton by PaulOrton

"Not never ever book anything with this hotel "

• Rugster by Rugster

"Don't expect to sleep much "

• Yorky by Yorky

"Ask for a refurbished room "

• Ian P by Ian P

"Book in advance to get the best prices as if i'd have left it a few more weeks it would of cost me a further £90 for the 3 day stay "

• Parawheels by Parawheels

"If going in the summer, take a fan as the rooms get very hot! "

Covent Garden Hotel is also called