Suite

Deserves More Press!

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We absolutely LOVED this hotel! There are so many hip and trendy hotels to choose from in London, and we might try something else when we go back, but I absolutely, hands-down recommend the Halkin (if not just for the fabulous shampoo and soaps!). It has a very cool, modern design, yet is still very comfortable, but it's not so very "Oh! Look at me! Aren't I fabulous!" It's like you are in on a secrete. And the food is so good! We actually only had breakfast and a quick in-room snack (but really one of the best tomato-mozz salads ever! And I'm a tomato freak!) but both were wonderful (granted we were famished, but still the quality was exceptional). Our room was so fun and different, it was like being in a ship; beautiful wood paneling and an odd but fun curved ceiling. The view wasn't so wonderful, but whatever. I am very excited to visit the other Como hotel properties! Do try this hotel on your next jaunt to GB you will not be disappointed!"

• Travel date: 27th December 2006

Ok but not more

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"Hotel is little like sister Metropolitan (see review 23 Feb-06). Bit run down and with "used to be" fashioned interior design. Much to my regret the pictures on the website does not correspond with reality. The lobby is small and uninviting. The bar is nothing to mention. There are absolutely no facilities at the hotel, the reception will refer you to the facilities offered at the Metropolitan. Although this hotel is not quite “around the corner”. I would not recommend the hotel for business traveller. Its location is not ideal. It’s better for tourists with sights and shopping in a near distance. The hotel is situated on a one way street, and to get cab is really difficult (impossible). It is a rather quiet area, but there are no interesting views. Also, be aware, rooms facing the back of the hotel are next to a large ongoing construction/renovation project. I had booked a quiet king deluxe room on a high floor with guaranteed upgrade if available. I received a room on first floor facing the construction work. I was told no other rooms available. After a little discussion they had a “few” other alternatives and I was shown a smaller room on a higher floor facing the front of the hotel (so downgrade instead of upgrade). Rooms are ok, beds are fine and my bathroom was large and comfortable. Although nothing special and definitely not at all as expected. A let down! However, considering London hotel prices it can be possible to get a decent rate here, so for someone not looking for an extraordinary hotel, this one is ok."

• Travel date: 20th December 2006

Modern Oasis in Belgravia

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"This hotel was my idea of heaven: A spacious and extremely comfortable room with clean, modern decor and a spacious and luxurious bathroom. A friendly and helpful staff. A fabulous location near wonderful restaurants and shopping, and close to a Tube station for those sightseeing trips further afield. All this AND free Internet access. What more could you want?"

• Travel date: 13th December 2006

Home away from home

Reviewed 4th December 2012

"Absolutely recommendable - feels like home away from home. We are staying in this hotel on a regular basis (monthly). It's time to write an appreciative note! The rooms (stylish and with all ameniites, clean and modern), the service (especially the concierges and check-in staff), great breakfast. The hotel is situated in the quite diplomatic quarter, walking reach to Knightsbridge shopping mile and famous department stores. It has a small bar/lounge area, which is a bit a shame, a bigger and not so drafty sitting lounge would certainly enhance the place. Great service there though. The hotel with asian touch is ideal for spoiled travellers and business people who depend on a good nights rest."

• Travel date: 7th July 2006

Outstanding Service Marks the Halkin

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"I recently stayed a week at the Halkin, left for Paris for four days, then returned for a day, before departing for home. The outstanding and accommodating service that its staff consistently delivers sets the Halkin apart. In addition to the usual services, such as making restaurant reservations, the staff helped us in many ways. Getting third row seats to a sold-out Royal Opera Theatre performance, holding some of our luggage while we were in Paris and picking up our bags at check-out within two minutes of calling are just some examples of the attentive, helpful service the staff provides. All this with style and grace -- and no attitude. The staff care and want to be of service (for example, once when we needed help with luggage but only the concierge staff was free, one of them stepped in), and I never once observed the "it's not my job" attitude so prevalent today. The small touches equally impress -- a welcome drink at check-in; turn-down service (Frette floor mats) no matter how late (the staff seemed to know instinctively when we were out); lavendar roses and fresh fruits in the room; a sturdy umbrella and a long, leather shoe horn in the closet. The Halkin is situated in a great neighborhood that is quiet and serene while also just minutes from the action (Hyde Park Corner tube station is only three minutes away walking, Harvey Nichols less than ten). The room is large (for London), stylish, quiet and well designed with heated bathroom floors and towel racks (with great towels -- absorbent but not bulky); a large soaking tub and separate shower with lots of water pressure; a comfortable, big bed with great linens and pillows; good lighting; and touch controls for everything at bedside. A flat-screen TV, an air conditioner that goes a little cooler and more dresser space are all I would ask for (also, the room in which I stayed had only one small window, so if sunlight or window space is a priority, book a suite). There were some glitches -- bottled water was left at turn-down on most, but not all, evenings and there were no roses on our return of one night -- but they were minor. I definitely would recommend the Halkin and intend to stay there when I return to London."

• Travel date: 31st May 2006

A memorable weekend, a beautiful hotel

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"I wanted somewhere special to spend the weekend of my 40th birthday with my husband, and couldn't have chosen a lovelier or more stylish place. I booked a package called Breakfsat in Belgravia from the hotel's own site (not the LHW one) which, as well as full breakfast, included a late check out at 2pm on our last day which was much appreciated. Our room was a deluxe double facing Halkin St, with a large sofa & armchair in the seating area. The decor was modern with a calming, Oriental feel, also very chic touches such as a bright vase of fresh tulips, and a dish of apples lined with a green leaf. The bathroom was huge & full of lovely touches - bathroom scales, loofahs, gorgeous smelling toiletries - plus an incredibly powerful shower. The 6ft bed was the most comfortable I have ever encountered in a hotel, with high quality sheets and goose down duvet/pillows. There were even 2 types of robe - towelling bathrobes and soft waffle cotton robes for lounging in, plus his & hers-sized slippers! However, what made the Halkin really stand out was the wonderful service we received at every turn. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, every need was thought of & we were addressed by name most of the time, a lovely personal touch. They really seemed to care that we enjoyed ourselves & felt special. This hotel is such a breath of fresh air compared to many supposedly top London hotels with their tired, traditional styles, corner-cutting and sullen service. Yes, our weekend was expensive, but we felt it was worth every penny, and could not recommend it more highly."

• Travel date: 27th March 2006

Oasis of calm

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"My now wife and I booked the Halkin for the weekend of our wedding last year. It was perhaps an unusual choice for the occasion as it's not laden with heavy curtains, deep carpets and rich furnishings like many London hotels. But it's all the better for it. The Halkin is in a very quiet location and inside, it's equally peaceful. For a "design" hotel, the staff couldn't have been friendlier or less pretentious. The rooms were extremely comfortable, particularly the bathrooms. Some well thought-out touches like a toaster with breakfast so you don't get soggy toast. One tip: we were on a splurge but decided against booking a suite as we were so impressed by the size and comfort of the deluxe rooms at half the price."

• Travel date: 24th February 2006

Very mixed service spoils a good hotel

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We have stayed in this hotel before and before were very happy. On our second trip we were still impressed by the room which is of a high quality and the location. The problem is that the service is very mixed, some staff are great but others downright aloof and almost rude. The hotel has no facilities and paying almost $700 a night is very expensive fow what you actually get given the sketchy service. The food at Nahm is great though. Management need to weed out the weak staff in this hotel as they let the side down and in a luxury top end product you cannot afford to have second rate staff serving."

• Travel date: 7th January 2006

Don't hesitate!

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"I arrived at the Halkin well before check in (maybe 10am) after arriving on an early flight into London from Geneva. I was exhausted and while my room was as expected not immediately ready, the check in staff whisked away my luggage and immediately offered me tea while I waited. Instead of waiting in the lobby I walked around Knightsbridge for about 45 minutes and upon my return not only was my room ready but there was a full still-piping hot tea service and fresh fruit waiting in my room. I mean are they mind readers or what? And no extra charge on the bill, whereas I have usually found most London hotels will not hesitate to charge you for anything. The bathroom has a huge and terrific tub, perfect for two, and the bed is divine. The provided hair dryer fizzled out while I was using it and a new one was brought to me within 5 minutes. The room, facing Halkin street, was quiet, stylish but not pretentious - just like the hotel itself. It is on a good end of Knightsbridge - not that there is a bad end, but you can walk easily to Park Lane/Picadilly/Oxford Street along with all the Knightsbridge/Sloane Street shopping etc. Another plus for me was easy short term parking in front of the hotel - I had friends meet me a couple times who had no problems finding spots - unheard of in central London. All in all, a GREAT place - try booking through Orbitz where I found an awesome deal."

• Travel date: 2nd January 2006

A truly superb and incredibly quiet hotel

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I decided to stay at The Halkin based entirely on the positive reviews on this website. I can only say that the rooms and the service are just as outstanding as the most enthusiastic reviewers have said they are, comparable even to a top class hotel in Asia (and I have never said that about a hotel anywhere in Europe before). Another unique quality is the peace and quiet, so very difficult to find in any major city. This is accounted for not by any unusual soundproofing (and any significant external noise would in fact intrude, see below) but by the hotel's location on a narrow one-way street which sees very little traffic. Since I was on a short non-business visit from the East Coast of the US, I decided to stay on my home time zone and sleep from 0300 to 1200. I was able to accomplish this even on a weekday morning. The only exception to the peace and quiet was a function of the room where I spent the first night being on the west side of the hotel, overlooking an alley, Montrose Place. This must be where the service entrance is located, and I was woken up before dawn by the usual rubbish collection noises -- bags of bottles being slung into a truck, the truck revving up to compact them, the beeping noise as the truck backed out, miscellaneous shouts and yells. Rooms on this side are definitely to be avoided. Thereafter I slept in a room facing Halkin Street, where I was not disturbed at all. I believe rooms on the east side (where there is no alley) and at the back would probably be quietest of all. Although there is a massive, block-long construction project under way right behind The Halkin, it is noisy only during "normal working hours" (this not being Asia, after all). It looked to me as if it has about another year to go. The only complaint that I would have is the outrageous charge of 20 pounds ($35!) per day for internet service in the room. When will hotels in Europe stop charging for internet service as if it were some new, rich man's toy, instead of a routine utility, like electricity and TV?"

• Travel date: 13th December 2005