Recommended!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed 4 nights at the Crown for a pleasure and leisure stay in London. The hotel was excellent...clean and fresh with decent-sized rooms, friendly service, beautiful pool and roomy gym. We have previously stayed in central or West London where the same price gets you a cramped room, measly facilities and a skimpy breakfast, so this place was a real haven. The distance from the centre was no real inconvenience. You get a bus from the hotel to Kilburn, and tube the rest of the way, or you stay on the bus and enjoy the adventure. As regards the area, I am English and have lived in areas such as this, mostly as a student, so it felt homely. The local pubs and shops are colourful and a welcome change from the expensive city centre. I think the crime risk was about the same as back home in Västerås, Sweden.
Another point about the location....if you're arriving at Luton Airport you can get the train from there to Cricklewood. The hotel is 5 minutes walk round the corner from the station, so no need to travel into the centre and get the tube back out again."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of July 2006

Great find

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"My daughter and I have just returned from a three-day stay at the Crown Moran hotel.
We had read many positive reviews on this site and that's why we decided to stay at the hotel. We arrived at Stansted Airport and went to the hotel by bus. First a National Express service to Golders Green and then a London Transport bus that got us straigh to the hotel.
At Golders Green we bought a bus pass that served us well for the days to come.

Any bus that stops in front of the hotel will take you to Kilburn Station (Underground) and Brondesbury Station (Silverlink Railway) in about five minutes. Silverlink will take you to Hampstead Heath (about ten minutes) and Kew Gardens (about 25 minutes). If you also want to visit these terrific places, make sure you get a pass for the appropriate zones. Off-peak hours will get you a great deal. Serious shopping can be done at the Brent Cross Mall, also easy to reach on the bus. Takes only about ten minutes.

We've been to London many times and spent a lot of money on hotels that weren 't so good. The Crown Moran is worth every pound that you spend on it. But make sure you do a bit of homework before you go. The London transport system has an excellent website.

Our room was spacious for a European hotel room, spotlessly clean, and the bathroom was really nice. Breakfast was made to order.

We didn't find the neighbourhood to be "rough" at all. Ethnic maybe, but isn't that part of the fun of travelling : seeing how other people live."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of May 2006

Great hotel

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"After reading the reviews on tripadvisor decided to stay at Crown Moran.
As other reviews have stated the area is quite ethnic but never felt unsafe at any time.
Bus right outside hotel which takes you right into the centre of London.
We have stayed in many major cities and this hotel rates right up there with the best of them. It felt like an oasis after a long day touring London.
Found staff very helpful and breakfast excellent. Would not hesitate to recommend to friends and would certainly return again if ever visiting London."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of May 2006

Nice, but average and far from the city centre

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Reviewers complaining about the area are totally over the top - there is no danger at any time. It is a lively neighbourhood, perhaps a bit rought for some, but not at all dangerous. The hotel itself is ok, but nothing really new. The old part of the hotel has been nicely refurbished with a pub and meeting area upstairs. The rooms in the new building are rather average, not enough plugs for a business traveller with chargers, adaptors etc. Overall quite expensive keeping in mind that it is not central London!"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of May 2006

Great little hotel!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We stayed in the crown moran for two nights over a weekend. It is a lovely bright and airy hotel with friendly staff.

Our room was big, for the two of us there was one single bed and a double bed and you could hear the radio and TV in the bathroom, which I was delighted with!

Breakfast was great - full cooked breakfast included within the price.

The leisure facilities were great. Pool was small, but lovely and I had it all to myself one morning. The gym is modern and well equipped.

As other reviewers have said, the only downside is the location and its proximity to the tube. It was a good 20 minute walk but you can get a bus straight down the high street.

The area is a little outside central London. However, I would rather stay in a lovely hotel just outside central London than stay in a not so nice hotel in the centre. It depends what you want.

The area is ethnic, but so are many other areas of London, thats waht you get in a cosmopolitan city. We never felt threatened.

I would definitely stay here again!"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of May 2006

Great Hotel

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"This is the nicest hotel at which I have stayed in the UK. True, it is a bit far out from the City Center, but it is worth it. The breakfast was great. There is a continental type breakfast laid out. But you may order a hot breakfast from the waitress. Everything great. Fresh squeezed orange juice. Dinner was just so-so. Rooms were great. Clean. Staff couldn't do enough to be helpful.
Neighborhood is ethnic....not a slum. Bus stops a front door, a few minutes to tube, then only 15 mins to downtown. Buy all day pass for tube for zones 1 and 2, only GBP4.90 gives unlimited use of tube and buses (get at tube station). Hair dryer in dresser drawer."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of January 2006

Great Hotel, not so great loaction

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"The hotel itself was fantastic. Once of the nicest hotels I've stayed in while in London. Rooms were large and stylish. The bathroon has very nice fixtures. Breakfast was very good.

The only downside is the location. As others have said the neighbood is a bit dodgy (rough). Also, it is not close to the tube, you need to take a 10 minute bus rids just to get to the tube."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of January 2006

Absolutely fabulous

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"This little known hotel was off the beaten track, but well worth the booking. We looked for a hotel that was less expensive than those within the city limits of London. This hotel was clean, modern, spacious, and generous with its breakfast which was included in the price. The cost of the room was considerably lower than those within the city itself. The area was safe and just a #16 bus ride to the center of London. The rooms were newly renovated and service
excellent. The staff seemed helpful and friendly.
I look forward to staying there again if I travel to England in the future."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Maybe it's because my husband grew up in NYC...

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"but we thought this place was great, and didn't have any trouble with the neighborhood. I must have a completely different idea of slums than the average person. The hotel is definately a little out of the way, but a bus can pick you up in front of the hotel and take you maybe a bit down the road to the tube station, and be anywhere you want in no time.

The actual street is nothing terrible - lots of little ethnic restaurants, internet cafes, hole in the wall joints - but I never felt unsafe walking around there, any more than I would have in Daytona Beach at night. I did notice that the whole area just shuts down after a certain point - we ate at the same Lebonese place three times because they were the only ones open when we got back.

The hotel itself was great, as everyone else who reviewed the place says. Was very new, the breakfasts were cooked to order and delicious. Room service was prompt, polite, and served hot from the restaurant downstairs. Smoking was allowed indoors, which was strange to me (how quickly we adjust) but it wasn't a problem - high ceilings allowed for lots of ventilation. Also, the bathroom in our room was larger than any I've had in Europe - ever. It was huge, and completely spotless. The door on the shower was poorly designed, but definately not a dealbreaker.

The staff was excellent, and the price was unbeatable. We'll likely not stay anywhere else in London till we can afford the InterContinental =) Calling it above average not because anything was done wrong, but because I don't want people to think it was a 5 star place. It was great - but there was smoke in the air, and you actually saw cleaning people, and while polite, the staff was not there to cater just to you. You'll really enjoy it if you don't go with too grand of expectations."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of January 2006

Highly Recommended

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed in the Crown Moran Hotel for two nights from 12/1/06-14/1/06, we found the hotel very clean and the rooms were the largest we've ever had in London. We ate in the hotel one evening from their special £5 a course menu and the food was excellent. The leisure centre has a pool, jaccuzi & sauna, when we went it was deserted so we had it all to ourselves.
As to previous reviews stating that the hotel is in the slums and that they were afraid to be out after dark? Where do these people come from, this part of London is not the most up-market but it is hardly a slum. If they were terrified to walk at night they could have caught a bus (they stop directly outside the hotel) to Oxford Street where perhaps it might not be so scary for them?"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of January 2006