Cardiff Hotel in London

Pricey in Canadian dollars

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"Glitzy, it was not! However, it was handy, and even though we are in our sixty's the climb to the fourth floor was not impossible. Tough, but not impossible! Excellent food for breakfast in quaint dining room in basement. We were shown room in lower (basement) level. Would advise travellers not to take the lower floor as it is not as secure as the upper floors. The accommodation is reasonably clean, but shows wear and the rooms are small."

• Travel date: 3rd June 2005

Best Value in London!

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"Our family of four found the Cardiff to be a real gem. I chose the Cardiff because of its proximity to Paddington station but found that that was not the main benefit of staying there. We were only there for one night as we had a stayover between airports being brought in at Gatwick and flown out of Heathrow. Although the Paddington train station is just a couple blocks away, we found that using the Tube to get to Heathrow was just as easy. It may take more time, but the Tube was much, much cheaper and only involved one transfer. (A serious consideration due to the current exchange rate!) Upon arrival by cab, we were greated most appreciatively and made to feel welcome. My teenage daughters felt so at home they decided not to leave for dinner. They would rather watch the tele! We found the variety of restaurants in the area to be exceptional. Everything is quite convenient in the area as there are many stores close by. We also enjoyed our first English breakfast there and were treated most kindly by our server who was very helpful to us first-timers. We loved the park right out the front door, the very pleasant staff, the cleanliness, and the location of the Cardiff and we would most certainly return."

• Travel date: 21st March 2005

Great value hotel..fantastic location

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"Our family of 3 stayed at the Cardiff for a few days before Christmas 2004 and again for a week at the end of January. We found it to be a vey convenient location, Heathrow Express, and the tube system. Rooms are compact but were kept clean and tidy by friendly staff, tea and coffee making facilities were a bonus. We enjoyed the English breakfast each morning which was always enough to keep us going till late in the day. Laundromat is across the road and inside Paddington Station is Sainsbury's and Marks and Spencer for day to day supplies."

• Travel date: 6th March 2005

A great place to stay

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"A cozy , friendly hotel with lots of character . I didn't have the breakfast as I had to leave early in the morning , but I had a great night's sleep ( what a warm , comfy bed ! ) . Excellent value for money . I would definitely stay there again !"

• Travel date: 24th January 2005

A Dump

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Worst Hotel we ve ever stayed in the carpets in the room and on the stairs were a disgrace the en suite was so small you could hardly move in it, the shower had duct tape around the bottom and was filthy, for what we payed we would have had a five star Hotel in Canada never again."

• Travel date: 15th December 2004

Liked the location and friendly people!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Our first visit to London. Spent 5 nights at Cardiff and liked it for the right price for London and convenient location. Triple room was OK but if you are more than 200 pounds it would be hard to move in the bathroom/shower. Breakfast was good and kept us going till late afternoon. Do not expect any extras in the hotel - very simple but clean. Have your shampoo, etc. with you. People (Brits in general) are very friendly and were ready to help with anything you need -in the hotel, on the streets, on the bus and the tube - we liked it a lot. Couple things we didn't like about hotel and London - lots of people smoke and second hand smoke is everywhere you go. Ask for a non-smoking room if you are non-smoker. Another thing you have to be aware of - the nearby grocery store "Portland food and wine". I was shortchanged there twice and the Indian shopkeeper refused to give my change back. After that we were shopping at Sainsbury store at Paddington station - few minutes walk from the hotel but prices are much cheaper and they do not shortchange you! Overall we really enjoyed our stay at Cardiff."

• Travel date: 2nd December 2004

Satisfactory

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"The best thing about the Cardiff is that it is so near to Paddington station...Buses, underground all is around. No, lift (elevator) so ask for a room on a low floor (and facing the garden), the rooms are definitely small - the breakfast is okay the staff can be helpful. The street noise dies down at night -but you can tell when it is morning. All in all, a budget hotel in London (hard to find). I got in on an Aug/Sept special... ask for specials, and check around different sites for different prices. Every little bit helps when the dollar is so low."

• Travel date: 20th September 2004

We should have stayed in the park.

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We were prepared for small rooms, no a/c, and service different than found in America. But this was awful! We saved London for the end of our vacation so this was the last place we stayed. I am very glad we did, I may not have had the courage to keep going after this place. We stayed here in August and had to keep the window open because there was no a/c. However, there was a window from the next room facing ours about 4 feet away. There was just enough room for one person to walk around the bed at a time. The bathroom was so small you had to bend yourself around the sink in order to sit on the toilet. The light burnt out in the bathroom shortly after we arrived. We notified the front desk, but it was never fixed during our stay. The breakfast was not worth going to. We didn't plan on spending much time watching television, but the olympics were on and we wanted to see the diving. They did have a television, but the only thing with any picture you could make out was the cctv for the front desk. I always try to find something good so I will say the hotel is close to Paddington Station and there is a lovely park out front."

• Travel date: 6th September 2004

Cardiff Hotel. . .just what we hoped!

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We booked the Cardiff Hotel, as one of many during our 10-day U.K. tour, after reading Trip Advisor reviews and were not disappointed. We are a couple in our 60s and knew that the hotel rooms would be small and that there was no elevator, but we only planned to be in the room to sleep and we had packed light (one carry-on each) so did not have problems negotiating the stairs. We requested and got a room at the front overlooking Norfolk Square and it was very clean and bright. The hotel is only 2 blocks from Paddington Station, so it was easy to get anywhere in London. It was also a great location for us since we were heading further north and our train left from Paddington. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the breakfast was hot, quick, and filling. The only negative we saw was the tiny shower (my husband is football player size) which also had some mold in the caulking. In spite of that, we would definitely stay at the Cardiff again and would recommend it to others who have similar requirements."

• Travel date: 30th August 2004

Well worth staying

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"I have stayed at the Cardiff Hotel as my default hotel in London for many years and have got a great affection for it. It is certainly not posh and if you are placed on the upper floors it is a bit tiring to get to the rooms without a lift. I must have stayed in all the single and double rooms over the years and they do differ and can be a little 'faded'. However, gradually many of them are being renovated and are fine as simply a nighttime base with OK beds, clean bedding, small but adequate bathrooms, tea and coffee, tv etc. Generally, I have found the staff behind reception very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast has improved a lot over the years to offer far more choice and large quantities, and I like the fact that the traditional British breakfast is cooked when you want it rather than be prepared earlier and lie around under an inadequate heater. The staff in the breakfast room (who also clean the rooms) have changed over the years from being predominantly Australasian, through Spanish and Portuguese, to the current concentration on people from various Eastern European countries. The guests tend to be an interesting mix of holiday makers from all over the world, UK tradesmen dong contract work in London during the week, and a few professionals like myself, who like the location and the budget price. It is worth looking on their website to find out about bargains especially in the winter months. I have stayed in far more expensive hotels in London and had a less satisfactory stay. As long as you are fairly easygoing, you will enjoy the Cardiff."

• Travel date: 11th August 2004