Bedford Hotel logo

About Bedford Hotel

Good value for area

Reviewed 21st November 2014

"We stayed 2 nights at the Bedford earlier this week, as part of a 'Theater Break' package. The hotel has a lot going for it, particularly the staff, but, sadly, some things against it. On arrival in reception at mid-day, we were greeted with an overwhelming smell of fish which permeated the public areas and, for a short while, was quite off-putting (48 hours later there was still a faint smell, or maybe we just got used to it). The public areas themselves are tired - worn carpeting in reception, chipped and scratched paintwork particularly on bedroom levels. The bar is far from cosy with cafeteria type tables, solid flooring and very few 'comfortable' chairs. The residents' lounge was pleasant, being a comfortable space in which to savoir our after-theater drink. Our room, though basic, was freshly decorated and very comfortable - apart from the pillows which were quite solid. Nonetheless, we had 2 good nights' sleep (our room was at the back away from the traffic). We were very surprised that neither the toilet nor the bathroom (2 separate rooms) had ventilation fans (the same, obviously, as Reception). And, once again, the British notion that we don't want face-cloths mystifies me! However, the whole place was spotlessly clean and the staff extremely willing to give assistance in all areas; unlike many places, their local knowledge was excellent. Breakfast was adequate, although I fear some European visitors who don't like English breakfasts may have been disappointed to find only a couple of uninspired Danish pastries and some toast as the sum total of their meal, there being no charioteer, cheeses, fresh fruit (canned prunes, grapefruit and orange segments were available). Staff in the breakfast room were extremely efficient and, once again, very pleasant and helpful. Location of the hotel in respect to transit (tube, buses) and eateries is excellent: within 300 meters either way there are at least 6 Italian, one French, 2 Indian, one Turkish and one pub that I can immediately think of - and all well frequented. Buses to the Strand take 10 minutes , out to The Imperial War Museum only 20 minutes and into the shopping area 10-12 minutes. The Underground is a 5-minute stroll away, although it is suggested that tourists stay away until 09:30 a.m. at the earliest. For the location, the cost is very reasonable. "

• Travel date: 20th November 2014

It is Value

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Location – Five / ten minute walk from Euston / a couple of minutes from Russell Square Tube & on major bus routes to Waterloo. In the evening if you want to make your way to Covent Garden it is about 20 minutes walk or a £5 taxi ride. In all a good location Parking Surprisingly for a budget London centre hotel there is underground parking – never used it myself so you had better check if this is important to you. The building –. I would say late 1950’s infill block on Southampton Row. . The hotel has five floors – on the round there s the reception / bar & lounge & a small conference room. Condition of décor is OK – but it could do with some updating but it is clean to be fair you would go to the Bedford for value & location rather than architectural beauty. Reception & Public areas – A welcome feature of the Bedford is the rather nice garden to the rear – this opens from the pleasant lounge area. The restaurant is very simple but is roomy. & clean. The corridors could do with a re-carpet & the décor is need of lifecycle update. The Bedrooms – Braise yourself – you step into the 1970’s – the single rooms are long & narrow with a ‘cabin’ feel to them. The bedside switchgear controls lights / radio/ TV – the speakers are built into the curtain pellet – as I say 1970! I have always found the rooms clean – a couple of colleagues have made negative comment but I would say for a night or two it is fine. The double rooms are a good size – so given the budget price suggest you ‘treat’ yourself. A plus of all rooms I that the windows open. The bathroom – A bit small – but clean. Shower is above the bath. Only soap provided so bring your own shampoo. Food – Only ever had breakfast there, which is good. The lady in charge of the breakfast service is very efficient & her team are walking around all the time clearing tables & filling cups. I have stayed at some of the best hotels in London & I have to say the service in the Bedford Restaurant (for breakfast) would put others to shame. The only negative comment on Food & drink is the quality of the house red wine – it is terrible so stick to he beer! Staff – I have been using the Bedford for about a year – staff turnover seems low – the reception people are very helpful, I have already mentioned the restaurant lady The housekeeper I believe has also been there a considerable time. In all you are well looked after. Over all – the Bedford for under £80 a night is OK for a couple of nights on business – you would not go your honeymoon there. It is part o the Imperial group who have larger hotels in the area – The Imperial / The President & the Royal National. I believe Bedford guests can use all the facilities (including Swimming) of the other operations. I think the Bedford represents excellent value & provides good service at this end of the market. Tip – Book a room at the back over looking the garden – or high up if on the front / bring your own shampoo & don’t drink the house red wine."

• Travel date: 9th June 2007

What an experience

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"During Sept 2006 my wife and I visited London for the first time and was a little apprehensive. The flight out of South Africa arrives early in the morning and unfortunately we were not allowed to check in. We stored our luggage (at a fee) and hit the streets. Later on we were given a double room with a garden view (as requested) although it was right next to the elevator and this was very noisy!! Fortunately the people above us left their water running, our room was flooded and we were VERY prompted given another room. Here I must compliment the staff at the frontdesk. Our new room was a twin but perfect in all aspects - again with a garden view. We never ate anything other than breakfast as there are so many good quality restaurants in short walking distance. The breakfast is to be polite "hitting the spot". Nothing more and nothing special. We did have a chuckle over the Chinese lady who runs the room like a military bootcamp and the guests are her soldiers. You have to see the humour in this!! The front desk staff is very helpful and friendly with the exception of one gentleman who obviously missed his real ambition of an undertaker. The rooms and the general public areas are clean. We had friends who stayed up the road at one of the sister hotels and they complained about the constant noise. The Bedford is quiet except for the one night when the people in the building adjacent had one heck of a party. The hotel is very conveniently situated close to the Russel Square tube station. From there no place in London is too far with a day pass on the Underground. Being from South Africa we obviously found walking around at night extremely safe. A number of good quality restaurants in the area and for the traveller there's a Bureau de Change across the street. Overall I'll recommend this hotel to anyone not too fussy or used to being in the lap of luxury. It is a good value hotel and it provides everything you want and expect when you are on holiday. In fact this will be the first place I'll consider for my next visit to London."

• Travel date: 17th May 2007

Value

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Stayed at hotel Bedford as part of a 'Superbreak' hotel/travel/theatre package for Sound of Music (you must go if you can, it was fantastic). Hotel fairly good, staff in general fairly good. Breakfast very good. You get what you pay for and I would stay again for a short break, however, my only reservation was the evening meal. The waiter served a bottle of white wine which had never seen any form of cooling, and when asked provided an ice bucket. The food was not good really, my wife's chicken had been cooked for some time and was very dry. My steak which was over cooked was replaced for one that was well done although asked for medium rare. A lady on a nearby table sent her burger back because it was raw in the middle. It is a pity that the lady who is in charge of the breakfast operation isn't used in the evening, she runs a very efficient ship. I would request a high rear room as the road at the front is fairly busy. Plenty of pubs etc nearby and just a short walk to Holborn or Russell Square underground. Overall, fairly satisfied and would stay again but wouldn't eat in the evening."

• Travel date: 17th April 2007

70's revival

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"The bedford is a reasonable base in a prime location for public transport. You are 4 min walking from Russell square tube, and 6 min from Holborn. The hotels public areas are shiny and modern. The hotel room I stayed in was firmly in the 1970's, BUT in the classier end of the 70's. A few of the reviewers commented on the comedy built in consoles, personally I found speakers built into the pelmets quite amusing, the switch to transfer the radio music to the bathroom highly amusing; the important point to note is that this hotel is dated, not worn out; the maintenance people here must be doing a damn good job. I found the breakfast perfectly ok for a 3 star hotel; continental do not get croissants, but do get danish (quite a reasonable danish selection).I would avoid the toast it tastes like cardboard. The staff seem curteous and friendly; the hotel room keys are substantial; I can normally wander off with a bit of metal/wood, these could be used to build bridges with. The standards of cleanleness are ok, room for some improvement I would say, ie they dust where people would normally look. The hotel locale I would consider safe at night, a fair few restuarants in the area; represents good value for money overall."

• Travel date: 28th March 2007

I'd go back!

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Went for weeekend break 22 feb- 26 feb. On arrival i was greeted with friendly staff, i asked for a room out the back and the receptionist smiled so she must get this often and i'm glad i did as i would imagine its quite niosy in the front. Double bed room was ok, its a bit old fashioned but who cares when your only going to be there to sleep. Room is not huge but its big enough for 2 people and the room is clean which is very important. Room was warm but no sign of air conditioning for those going when its really hot. Its cheap and cheerful for London as other hotels are very expensive and the location was excellent, 5 mins from metro and very walkable for those who go for a late late drink. I would recommend this hotel for people who don't have loads to spend on the top hotels and are going to london to see london and not spend all of it in the room."

• Travel date: 1st March 2007

Ok

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"Stayed at the Bedford for 2 nights from Jan 5th \Jan 7th. Really nice , clean , spacious twin room. Breakfast was quite good, ( be careful, you have to pay an extra 4 pounds for English breakfast) continental breakfast is included, but for some, English isn't. I don't know why. Best to ask first. One of the reception staff, a male, wasn't very friendly, but the others were really nice. I recommend the Bedford, and great location. Have agreat time."

• Travel date: 21st January 2007

Back to the 70's

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"Having just stayed at the Bedford, I've looked at the other reviews and can''t recognise the room I stayed in. It may be that we had single rooms, but they were small, extremly dated with furniture. consoles from the 70s, dirty curtains and, being at the front of the hotel very noisy from the traffic on Southampton Row. The bed didn't feel too secure either. The bathroom was a reasonable size, but the shower had an old style mixer tap above the bath and the temperature was difficult to control. On the plus side, it is very conveniently located with it's own underground car park and the breakfast was OK. Not having stayed in Central London for quite some time I don't know how the alternatives compare, but at £71 per night it was at least reasonably cheap."

• Travel date: 10th December 2006

A well located and most pleasant hotel for a week's stay

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We enjoyed our first visit to London in the fall of 2005 so much that we planned to return the next year. This time we checked "Trip Advisor" for reviews of the hotels offered with our airline package, and chose The Bedford with its full included breakfast. From comments on "Trip Advisor" we requested a rear facing room on a lower floor. As our room faced out to the Garden it was relatively quiet even with the windows open. We appreciated being on a lower floor when the fire alarm went off one morning about 5:30 am. After a day or so we got used to our room key being at the end of a long rod that you deposited with front desk when leaving the hotel. We also checked our passports and cash into a depository rental at the front desk. If you lose the safety deposit box key you are charged 150 pounds. When the fire alarm went off that key was our first concern. Our room was comfortable with a fairly spacious bathroom. A minor annoyance was the flimsy shower curtain that tended to blow in on you when the shower was running. Also, for all the available space, can't understand why they only had one towel rack with four towels squeased onto it. We usually had a hearty breakfast in advance of our sight seeing. We called our Filipina hostess at breakfast "Our Lady of the Morning" for the friendly way she had of seating everyone. She told us as she had to move 240 guests through a 60 seat dining room each morning, she had to be pleasant while really being efficient. On this visit we concentrated on learning the bus routes. Nearly all of the London buses pass within a block or two of the Bedford which was great. As sightseers sitting on the upper deck of a bus we were happy with being slowed down by congestion. My wife enjoyed her shopping on Oxford Street. We usually walked one way, and returned by bus with our shopping in a back-pack. A note of caution to fellow travellers ... think twice about buying heavy books and shoes as they can easily make your check in luggage overweight when you check in for your return flight. Surcharges can really be expensive for overweights. As Vancouverites we enjoy Chinese "Dim Sum". London's almost hidden China Town was a twenty minute walk from the Bedford with a reduced price on Dim Sum from 2:30 pm to 5 pm. We also enjoy Japanese and East Indian Food which were available in the many restaurants and pubs within a few blocks of the Bedford. A well stocked Sainsbury super market was also within a few blocks of the Bedford. Being adjacent to London University and the British Museum makes for very interesting surroundings. Just as well as our room TV didn't seem to have many channels. But it did have "Coronation Street" which runs in Canada 9 months later. Now it seems like an almost religious experience in knowing the future lives and deaths of Corno so much in advance. While not luxurious, the Bedford completely suited out needs. The front desk people were very helpful. Our room was clean and well maintained. Our package included "Hotel Link" from Gatwick Airport via the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station and then by mini-bus to the hotel. As we listened to our fellow travellers being picked up from other hotels by the mini-bus on departure, we seemed to be the only ones with no complaints. Which is not a bad testament as to our week's stay at The Bedford."

• Travel date: 2nd December 2006

Simple, Friendly Staff, Super Location, Good Value!

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Stayed for 2 nights in Sept 2006: Pluses: - Location location location! Fab part of London! - Lobby - airy and lots of glass for people watching! - Friendly staff - cheerful and helpful! - Breakfast was fine and better than expected! Although a £4 supplement for Full English. - Twin bedroom was spacious Minuses: - Bathroom was basic and could have been a little cleaner - 11:00 AM checkout - No A/C (ok in winter but probably terrible in Summer) - False fire alarm at 06:30 HRS! Overall - I booked this hotel at very short notice and having scoured the tripadvisor pages decided this was the best option available to me. I paid £90 for a twin room inc breakfast. We were given a lovely room at the front with views up and down Southampton Row. This could work out a bit noisy if you are a light sleeper because it is likely you will have to open the windows most of the night. I loved it because it was all the hustle and bustle of London. Directions - from Gatwick get the Gatwick express train into London Victoria (£25 return fare). At victoria buy a day ticket for zone 1+2 on the Tube (£4.50). Catch the tube to Green Park (one stop) and then take the piccadilly line 4 stops to Holburn. Come out of the station - turn right - cross the road and walk straight ahead along Southampton Row. The hotel is on the left hand side after about 5 minutes walking. Great wee find!"

• Travel date: 12th October 2006

good for business

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"It was my second stay in Bedford hotel for 4 nights. It's good for business trip. Central located. Room was clean. But breakfast is poor (like in all english hotels under 3 star)."

• Travel date: 11th September 2006

Hotels near Bedford Hotel

Top traveller tips for Bedford Hotel

• by lydiaann

"Ask for a 'quiet' room overlooking the courtyard."

Bedford Hotel is also called