Expensive

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"I found the Tickled Trout to be pleasant,clean rooms, pleasant staff but oh the restaurant and bar was so expensive considering the meal was small and very average. It is handy if you are traveling the M6 and it is in a nice location overlooking the river but be prepared to eat out."

• Travel date: 26th April 2006

Ok

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"Just got back from a one night stay at The Tickled Trout. The location of the hotel is very convenient for the motorway, Preston and Blackburn. The staff were friendly and helpful, ensuring an early check in for us as we had a wedding to get to. Our room was modern, clean and comfortable. The lighting in the room however was quite dim with the curtains closed (which was most the time as we were on the ground floor overlooking the carpark!) and it took us ages to find the tea/coffee making facilities, hint they are hidden in a drawer!! What really lets this hotel down though is the dining. The bar food is ridiculously overpriced as are the drinks at the bar and the buffet breakfast was very average, with undrinkable coffee, cold toast and limp bacon."

• Travel date: 17th September 2005

Wedding Venue

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"I have just returned from my friends wedding here. The wedding was perfect and the hotel was great. The only gripe I had was the price of drinks - a large glass of wine was over a fiver which I rarely even get charged in London (depending on venue of course!). The bar was understaffed at one point but was quickly rectified by the hotel staff as soon as this was pointed out to them. The breakfast was amazing & the rooms were very comfortable. The evening buffet layed on by the hotel was also faultless."

• Travel date: 30th May 2005

Great hotel at a good price

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"I just stayed one night at the Tickle Trout hotel. I had an exam in Preston and I chose the hotel on the basis of Trip Adviser ratings. I asked for a quiet room and got a room away from all the other rooms with a lovely view of the river. I didnt hear a thing all day and night!! The staff were very friendly and always called me by my name which I thought was an excellent personal touch. The only criticism is the food could be better and there could be more choice.. Other than that, its one of the nicest hotels in the UK that I have stayed in.... (and i passed the exam too!!) KI"

• Travel date: 17th March 2005

Pleasant Surprise

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I was very pleased to get a great room and a great deal at this hotel. I booked a Macdonald Hotels ' 2 nights for 2 people, 2 evening meals and 4 breakfasts for £99 - English Pounds'. And that included a 75cl bottle of (Italian sparkling) Prosecco and a few chocolates in a dish. I think all rooms have by now been refurbished. Ours certainly was. At the price we paid, we had no river view - we were more or less straight above reception. That was fine for the price. Hotel is 1/4 mile from busy motorway and 1/8 mile from busy road, but this was not a prob - there is double-glazing. 8 steps up to a large white bathroom, and a smallish double room and a stylish new-meets-old decor - mahogany wood, but clean lines, maroon bedspread and carpet, with deep rust/red and white and silver chrome decor. Very pleasant. The restaurant food was every good. The restaurant staff were very pleasant and helpful. restaurant is 'Tudorised' with visible fake country cottage ceiling and wall beams etc. Some of the Receptionists were a bit loud, probably due to bossing around conference delegates. but otherwise OK. I would have resented paying £12 for the breakfast, even though it was good. get an all-in deal. Not sure how much evening meals were - I'd guess at £18-20. We came for a rest rather than dashing around doing things. I would say that there is not that much to do in Preston, but Manchester / local hills / coast not too far. See Tourist Board Web site. There is no swimming pool at this hotel. Hope this helps."

• Travel date: 8th March 2005

Happy to return

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"It was with a little trepidation that I booked this hotel on the side of the motorway. I needn't have worried - despite it's proximity to the M6, the hotel has a peaceful feel. Having undergone a recent refurbishment the rooms are well furnished and the bathrooms modern. Mineral water as well as the usual hot drinks kit is provided as part of the hospitality tray. Sadly I didn't eat in the restaurant as plans did not allow, but colleagues reported enjoying a good meal. Interesting to spot that the hotel has car parking spaces reserved by the entrance especially for female guests. Tickled Trout will be my first choice hotel on any return trips to the area."

• Travel date: 18th May 2004

NIce Hotel

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"A very pleasant stay in a modern hotel with polite, helpful staff. The hotel was modern with nice clean bedrooms and en suite with shower and separate bath. The food in the restaurant was well cooked (though the chef obviously loves his balsamic vinegar  it was on everything!). I usually shy away from hotels situated next to motorways for obvious reasons, but the Tickled Trout manages to keep an almost village atmosphere. The staff were very helpful and polite  the only thing is that a lot of the younger ones acted like it was their first day on the job  a bit shy and mumbly . If I had to find a fault it would be that the cleaning in the public areas could be better  a chip I dropped at dinner was still on the floor at breakfast! But maybe that s a one off  I d stay here again."

• Travel date: 1st April 2004

Try The Tickled Trout

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Excellent location for road network - we wanted to visit Blackpool and Manchester and it was ideally placed for that. Not really the location for a romantic weekend but we weren't going to get that with our 2 kids along for the ride. Rooms were immaculate, bathroom really clean, it was evident that they had recently been refurbished. I'll go along with the previous reviewer re: prices. We thought £10 was on the pricey side for a vegetarian pasta dish. To be fair we were out and about for the 2 x nights we stayed and eating in the restaurant didn't fit in with our plans. Definitely a thumbs up from us."

• Travel date: 2nd November 2003

excellant but expensive

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"The Hotel was lovely some alterations going on but the staff apologised for this, anyway you hardly noticed the work going on. Staff were always polite clean and presentable and the breakfasts were super. My only "gripe" would be that It seems to be based on buisness people who can charge their companies and not on everyday folk (2 single brandy's were £7-50, so If you go there pack a little "something" In your bag. Excellant location easy to get on/off motorways and easy to get to Blackpool and Southport. I would go there again."

• Travel date: 12th September 2003

Hotels near Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel

Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel is also called

• The Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
  • hotel macdonald tickled trout
  • macdonald tickled trout bamber bridge