Good

Ask for a room at the back

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Stayed at the Sun recently but next time will try somewhere else. . We had booked a standard room which unfortunately was on the top floor facing the road. This was VERY noisy till the early hours and unbearably hot even though we had switched off both radiators. (I should have paid more attention to previous posts) If you do stay here make sure you stay in a more expensive room and not facing the front. Breakfast was ok, nothing special and on the first morning the staff were quite rude although their attitude did improve over time. On the plus side you are in the middle of town so can easily walk everywhere but make sure you budget for parking as this can work out expensive."

• Travel date: 27th February 2007

best breakfast ever

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"we had been staying at a lodge in carnforth for christmas,and the locals all said how great this hotel was and that the breakfast is out of this world. Slightly reluctant to go straight home, we decided to stay the night at the sun. The room's are contempory in style and are finished to the highest standards. We had a room with a spa shower which was brill!! The biggest bed I have ever seen and a plasma wall mounted t.v. Also a beutiful sofa chairs and table in front of a real fireplace. As for THE breakfast of all breakfasts what can I say other than WOW!!! All food at this hotel is freshly cooked to order so you may wait slightly longer than other hotels but the difference is amazing. You have the choice of duck eggs or hen eggs right up to a breakfast omelette. This is an omelette with everything in it. You can choice between 2 or 3 different sausages, eggs how you like them and the most gorgeous potatoe scones.It really does show that nothing has been lying on a hot plate keeping warm as nothing is dry, greasy or shrivelled up. I really could go on for ever about the food but I think I have got my point over. The staff are also very helpful. I was shown 3 different rooms so as to pick the one I really wanted. My only sadness was they were fully booked for the next 3/4 nights as I would have stayed longer."

• Travel date: 4th January 2007

Excellent Hotel..

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"We recently stayed in The Sun and had a marvellous weekend. Our room was a Superior room which was superb!!!!! An upgrade is definitely worth the money. When we arrived we had a problem with the radiator that wasn't working but within an hour it was fixed. The staff were excellent, friendly and polite and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms really are soundproofed as we noticed when we came downstairs for an early evening drink to find the bar a hive of activity with a wonderful atmosphere yet we were unable to hear any noise from our room which was directly above the bar area. Lancaster was a beautiful town with a mixture of culture and quaint pubs/bars. The parksafe carpark over the road was a bit pricey at £20 for the weekend but at least the car was secure. Definitely recommend a return trip very soon."

• Travel date: 11th December 2006

Bloody Fantastic...

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"You'll be amazed, it didn't look much from the website or photographs, and was a second choice as my usual 4 star hotel in Lancaster outside of lancaster was fully booked. Didn't actually know this was a four star hotel before booking, but this was in a prime central lancaster location, just seconds walk from the main shopping area. on arrival it didn't appear much from the outside, but they had maintained the historical integrity of the building, and was only informed later of it true history. However once inside, my opinions of the place changed dramitcally, the bar area cosy yet modern, the rooms are fantastic, worthy of any boutique hotel, and service and friendlyness of the staff I couldn't fault. Having spent an evening in the bar area, which seemed to be bustling all evening, I was concerned that the noise of the bar area and revellers outside would keep me from my beauty sleep. But no noise came through those old thick walls and I slept like a baby Breakfast, well was certainly not for the faint hearted, choose from different eggs, sausage, black pudding, fried bread, you name it it was on there, all cooked to perfection. Well, to summarise... Bloody Fantastic, when travelling to Lancaster again, I will certainly not be staying everywhere else. Certainly one of Lancaster best kept secrets."

• Travel date: 21st September 2006

Superb

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Its just a short review really as I was thinking of my stay at the Sun earlier this year and after googling the name found one or two almost negative reviews. I hope mine balances the critics. The Sun is my favourite hotel in the UK. I moved to Italy 7 years ago and return to the UK every August. Upon visiting friends in Lancaster I came upon the Sun completely by accident. The hotel is a delight. The rooms are relaxing, stylish, comfy, quiet and different - different to anything id staying in previously - totally modern and yet in keeping with the rest of the hotel. The bar is modern yet centuries in conception, the staff are very young and yet very keen to assist. I loved it, it's soundproofed to the hilt and people that complain about the lack of lifts need to stick to Travel Taverns and Holiday Inns. You'd pay £200 a night in London for a hotel like this. Anyway - critical balance addressed... back to work."

• Travel date: 16th September 2006

So so

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Check in nice and fast but the first big problem was there was no elevator. So beware of the top floor (3 in all but hard to get to with heavy luggage). The free internet access wasn't from the room, nobody knew what the password was and we could access it only from the bar. The complimentary breakfast was fine (traditional English breakfast). The room wasn't soundproof. The bathroom did not have a window, nor did it have a fridge. It did have an in-room coffee facility (a water heater and a frother). The lighting was *very* dim, so you can't work at your pc or even just read a book during the night with that light. We did ask for another bulb but they brought us another dim one. The staff also tried (very forcefully) to get into the room to "put some paintings on". If you don't mind about not being able to work and/or read and you want to stay here for a vacation, it might be ok."

• Travel date: 8th August 2006

What a fantastic hotel!

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"My wife and I, together with a wedding party stayed here on 27/28th July 2006. We were pleasantly surprised by the outstanding interior decor and delighted by the friendliness and efficiency of all the staff. Although it was quite a "hike" to our room on the top floor, we were compensated by a large comfortable bed, electric fan, filter coffee machine, TV and en suite toilet and shower.Our room was a standard room and very compact but still a bargain at £50 including breakfast. Whilst on the subject of breakfast-fabulous! It was lovely warm weather during our stay so we eat outside in the courtyard. Lashings of orange juice coffee and tea and toast. Eggs (including duck eggs) fried, scrambled or poaches, bacon smoked or not, a variety of sausages,beans, tomatoes, black puddings,mushrooms and plenty of it. This is a selection from the basic included breakfast, other items and breakfast meals are available at an extra supplementary charge. There is a great choice of drinks at the bar with a fantastic collection of local and European beers The only faults I found about the hotel was the absence of a lift and air conditioning in the bedroom. I was told by Dominic (the manager) that the hotel was prevented to install these facilities owing to it being a listed building. There is no car park attached although there is a secure car park less than two minutes walk from the hotel and because of parking restrictions at the hotel, if you are able, go to the car park first (Parksafe)and carry your bags to the hotel, otherwise you will have to drive all the way round the city one way system. I shall go again Overall, a great place to stay, especially for quiet mid week break, or a "buzzing" weekend"

• Travel date: 29th July 2006

Hot but cool hotel

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Spent six nights at the Sun in serious heat (thank God for the fans). The hotel is basically a modern twist on a traditional coaching inn. My room was extremely well appointed, every fitting looked top of the line. The showers had about fifteen different jets, the tv was a large lcd and the general feel of the place is quality. This is definitely not a run of the mill b&b but more like a small 5 star hotel. Keen and friendly staff, excellent bar area and an absolutely first rate (and very unusual) breakfast. A lot of room and breakfast for £70. Also - I read a few of the reviews below and I'm guessing the management have taken the comments on board as all the rooms have now (apparently) got secondary glazing over the sash windows. No problem with noise in my room (25) at all."

• Travel date: 27th July 2006

Weekend Break in Lancaster

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Just stayed one night at The Sun and really enjoyed the visit This is an excellent pub with a good range of real ales - excellently kept. The breakfasts (included) are amazing and I tried my first Duck egg omlette The staff are uniformly pleasant and willing to please The room ( I stayed in number 13) came with a massive bed that was large enough for 3 !. Unfortunatly the sash windows offered little soundproofing from the street noise - there was no noise at all from the pub downstairs. Having said that we had a good nights sleep - if you are disturbed by noise take earplugs or ask for a room at the back. There are some building works underway at present - I was advised they are to be completed by the end of June The Sun also own The Water Witch restaurant which is a short walk away - the food there is outstanding. I strongly recommend a visit there. The Water Witch won pub of the year last year ( even though it is also a restaurant) and The Sun is a finalist in the same competition this year. Would definitely use The Sun again"

• Travel date: 17th May 2006

Worth a return visit

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"On a short break and with two of our children we stayed at The Sun for 2 nights. Despite refurbishment and the inevitable associated upheaval, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our rooms whilst small were very comfortable, breakfast was excellent and staff couldn't have been more helpful. The combination of Lancaster and The Sun have made a return visit a very likely event in the near future."

• Travel date: 10th May 2006