A pleasant surprise

Reviewed Tue 2nd of August 2016

"We got a deal on this hotel and booked for a one night stay with dinner, bed and breakfast and a bottle of wine at such good value for mid-summer that our expectations were suspiciously low. How wrong could we be!
We were met by wonderfully friendly staff at Reception who were welcoming and professional and provided us with all the information we needed to make full use of the facilities and find our way round, etc. (Special thanks here to Diane for laughing at/putting up with my partner's attempts at Blackpool humour!!)
Our room (a first floor, side room near the front of the hotel with a view of the sea from the bay window) was very clean and spacious. It had an ante room with dressing table, wardrobe, chest of drawers and tea/coffee making facilities, leading into a large bedroom with king size bed, bedside cabinets, large screen TV, two armchairs and a coffee table in the bay, and through into a large, light (window which opened) bathroom with a full size bath and shower over. The bed was very comfortable too.
It didn't stop there though. Dinner was superb from start to finish. All the staff were attentive, friendly and efficient. There was a good choice of dishes and the food itself was beautifully cooked, well presented and delicious. We couldn't believe our luck! Breakfast too lived up to the standard of the night before, with carefully cooked, wide ranging choice and plentiful too. All the staff were pleasant and we never felt rushed. We were especially grateful to Kate for her pleasant and attentive service and also to the lady Maitre D', whose name sadly we did not get, who made us feel very welcome.
There were minor niggles - the coffee I was served in the bar on arrival (both the original cup and the replacement when I complained) was horrible - I could not drink either - and overpriced. We had to request a small bar of soap as this was not provided in the bathroom - a request which was readily met by the Reception staff - but it seemed strange to be expected to use the bath products (one small tube of shower gel and one of shampoo) for hand washing. We also had a TV which was only tuned into BBC 1 and 2 and a remote control which didn't work.
Architecturally, 'The Imperial' is an amazing, stately building reflecting a bygone era at every turn. I especially loved looking along the ground floor corridor from the dining room towards Reception. You could almost see the men and women of Victorian/Edwardian times walking gracefully along it. Location-wise - an easy walk to North and Central Piers and situated on the front with an open view of the sea.
A great experience all round and an incredible find. Thank you to all concerned.

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of August 2016

Great stay

Reviewed Tue 22nd of July 2014

"Would recommend this hotel stayed there twice up to now and would like to go again for my 65th birthday if I could get the same room 407 lovely sea view clean room very nice staff can't ask for more thanks to all the staff Don Riley."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of July 2014

A beautiful hotel, elegant and clean with great staff

Reviewed Thu 15th of August 2013

"We arrived at the hotel at 10am into a huge lobby and even though check in was not until 3pm we were able to “pre check in” and were given our room number. When we returned in the afternoon we were issued with our key card and given information about the restaurant, meals, newspapers etc.

We had reserved a family premium room and upon entering it was immediately evident that we had made the perfect choice. The room was quite large with a separate changing area and wardrobe, a double, single and sofa bed, flat screen TV, iron and ironing board, kettle, desk,slippers and robe and a lovely bathroom with bath, shower, heated towel rail and a beautiful old style basin. The most amazing part was the fabulous view which was straight out to the front of the hotel looking out to the sea and shore line. The room itself was spotless, during our stay we could not fault the cleaning standards, the room was cleaned and replenished daily with fresh towels and drinks and we could not find anything else out of place in the rest of the hotel.

The breakfast was served from 7am to 10am and I can quite honestly say it was the best hotel breakfast I have ever seen or eaten. Upon entering the restaurant you are shown to your table where on the first day everything is explained while either your tea or coffee is brought to the table. The selection was outstanding, it started on the right with an extensive selection of cold meats, this was followed by the hot selection which comprised of both fried and scrambled eggs, sausages (these I can tell you were out of this world), bacon, black pudding, tomatoes, small fried potatoes, baked beans, fried bread and mushrooms. On the next section were at least 5 or 6 types of fruit juice, a wide selection of cereals and a vast array of fresh fruit. On the last section was fruit, yoghurt, there were two toasters with white and brown bread, croissants, doughnuts, pain au chocolate and numerous other pastries.

The hotel has a charming bar which is through the corridor between the two lifts, this is open every evening but you can still purchase drinks throughout the day via the reception desk. There is also a children’s room with a pool table, X-Box’s, air hockey and table tennis, this at the time of our visit required some work as the items had been severely damaged by misuse. Outside, at the front there is a seating area around a water feature and a rather large barriered car park charged at a reasonable £3.50 per day. As the hotel is away from the centre, it has the added advantage of being extremely quite during the nights. To get into the centre it is either a 20 minutes’ walk to central pier or there are both tram and bus stops straight outside, these are very reasonable, especially if you buy a day ticket. There is also a well-stocked convenience store to the rear of the hotel down Eaves Street.

There are many other features of the Imperial hotel and I can honestly say that you will be hard pushed to find anywhere better and more elegant. I have recommended it to my family and I will return again and stay here when the illuminations are on."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of August 2013

mint imperial

Reviewed Tue 29th of September 2009

"We have just returned from a weekend break with two children and thought this hotel was amazing,the history and character produce an ambience of days gone by, although everything that the 21st century traveller requires is catered for.

The breakfast buffet offered a superb choice from a healthy option of fruit, yoghurt and cereals to the traditional "full english" breakfast.

Modern facilities such as the indoor pool,sauna,spa and gym were also available for use.
The room service menu was extensive(if a tad pricey)

Our family room for four of us was of adequate size,it was clean and in very good order.

We found that all the staff were polite and courteous and were a credit to the hotel.

Blackpool has it's critics and I guess you could say it is what it is,you either love it or loathe it but staying at the imperial definetly enhanced our short weekend break and we would have no hesitation staying in this hotel again. "

• Travel date: Mon 28th of September 2009

Given room 130 which was immediately abo...

Reviewed Tue 24th of June 2008

"Given room 130 which was immediately above function room below. Occupied room, unpacked case and intended rest, after long drive, was interupted by loud band starting rehearsal for evening function. Bathroom floor in room was resonating to base speaker below!. Having taken the trouble to unpack, endured the loud sound for approximately 2 hours.
Other impressions and observations showed this hotel to be in a decayiny state of repair( as is the whole town )
Have given overall rating of 3 only to reflect the good breakfast, the cost of which was included in our booking otherwise the menu price was £12.95!
Would not visit Hotel or town again"

• Travel date: Tue 24th of June 2008

Third time lucky!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"This hotel has made vast improvements over the past eighteen months. Housekeeping is more thorough, Reception is efficient and the restaurant staff could not be friendlier.
We stayed in a Premier room for three nights from 24th September 2004, and it really is worth the extra cost. We book through discount websites rather than directly through the hotel, and always get a good deal (and a seaview!)
Breakfast is of exceptional quality and room service is perfect.
And the icing on the cake for me.......the plastic flowers in the lobby have been replaced with huge vases of fresh blooms.
This hotel has character. If you want soulless, go stay in a travel motel."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of September 2004

Top stay no complaints.

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My family of 5 stayed for weekend in sept, 3 boys of 7,9,15 all in a good size family room with 2 doubles & bed settee, room was clean, food was excellant with the breakfast superb, we filled up at breakfast & only needed a snack at Lunch, used the pool & sauna with the kids, which we all enjoyed,reasonable size for a hotel, tram stop outside, staff friendly,expected the hotel bar to be expensive so shock horror we drank in the town!! Why another reviewer is finding fault with not being told about the facilites when they checked in!!! They obviously use the net, why didn't they research it like most people do? or at least ask the staff about the facilities. We had no complaints & would stay there again."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of September 2004

Shoe box rooms

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"This is the third time I have stayed here (ok so I only thought it was two but I showed my dad the photos and apparently I stayed there when I was 5).

The hotel itself is on the Noth Shore, which makes it a bit of a long walk to the centre of the Sea Front, and even further to Pleasure beach. Those of you who have done the Golden Mile will know that Blackpool Tower is, in fact, on wheels and is pushed away by munchkins just as you think you're getting close. On the upside the tram stop is opposite the hotel.

I have no real complaint about the service in the hotel, or the decor, but the rooms are literally somewhere to rest your head. The first time I stayed the room was average size with a frosted glass window view of the other side of the hotel (it's sort of a big square shape with a flat roof to about 2nd floor level in the middle). The second time we were given a real 'catswinger', again with the lovely frosted window view, at least I think the window was frosted but I'm also not sure how long it was since it saw a bucket of soapy water.

A good hotel if you're there for a lively weekend and can get a good deal on the room price, but not if you plan to spend a lot of time in your room / shoe box.

Dad's comment: Apparently when we stayed there in the early 80s some of the rooms didn't have en-suite facilities, which may account for their size now."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2004

Not quite what was advertised (Again!)

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Imperial during September 2004.
On arrival we were checked in quickly but were not informed about any facilities the hotel had to offer.
Our room on the fourth floor was quite small but like the bathroom was clean. Some of the nearby rooms were occupied by staff members and on the first night we were disturbed at 4.30 am by loud talking and banging doors however this was the only time it happened.
We took no meals at the hotel except for breakfast which was good. Drinks in the bar were expensive. but we havent stayed at a hotel which wasnt.
Contact with the staff was limited but those we spoke to were friendly.
We didnt visit the pool area.
In summary, the Imperial was much like Blackpool itself, rather shabby and faded in places and no longer the destination for decerning travelers,"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2004

did they stay at the same hotel as me?????

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Must be a different imperial hotel in blackpool!! Service was excellent, food was outstanding - gets 5 stars from us - even if the fire alarm went off at 8am on the Saturday!!.
Room was also great - can not fault this hotel, especially if you compare it to others in Blackpool!"

Better 2nd time around

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"2nd visit to The Imperial for the Illuminations - yet again can't fault the service from start to finish. Had an absolutely wonderful stay.
Room spotless and lovely, waiters on the ball, especially ours who made you feel he was only serving you! Room service quick and reception staff always efficient and polite.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend at all."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of September 2004

very eratic hotel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"we were so disapointed -change that to disgusted --with the service on our first visit we complained vey strongly and were give a complimenary stay
but only after very forceful complaints . we use this hotel group many time s a year buut threatened never to do so again

on check out my bill was no where near correct i complained the recepionist was at best disinterested but did change the items i was charged for but did not have

i had complained about the terrible dinner we had on both nights and after paying the bill the manager was acctually waiting to check if everything had improved after my complaints

i told him about the mistakes on the bill and also added that the bill was still not correct even after this but i had just paid anyway .
i asked him if he would be prepared to correct the bill even though i had paid it he assured me it would be no problem
so that being his attitiude i gave him my credit card and asked him to charge an extra £100 to the card as i had been under charged by that amount !!!!
they really could not organise a booze up in a brewery

on my return , at their expense, we expected for everything to be tip top as they all knew why i was there

be even now there were several things wrong in our room

dinner had improved but not a lot

breakfast good on th first vist was definatly worse this time

check out was better but as i had no charges even they could not mess that up
or so i though but they still charged me for newspapers we did not have

the building is really elegant but definatly showing its age

final opinion if you are thinking of staying here dont use the nearby hilton istead wedo now it is much better"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of August 2004

Hotels near The Imperial Hotel

Top traveller tips for The Imperial Hotel

• Journeyman by Journeyman

"Blackpool Tower - fantastic value for money but book online!! "

• clarkja69 by clarkja69

"If you can afford the extra I would advise booking a premium room for the added extras and the sea view "

• K F C by K F C

"Get a deal which includes dinner, bed and breakfast. You will not be disappointed! "

The Imperial Hotel is also called