The Imperial Hotel

North Promenade, Blackpool FY1 2HB England

Third time lucky!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"This hotel has made vast improvements over the past eighteen months. Housekeeping is more thorough, Reception is efficient and the restaurant staff could not be friendlier.
We stayed in a Premier room for three nights from 24th September 2004, and it really is worth the extra cost. We book through discount websites rather than directly through the hotel, and always get a good deal (and a seaview!)
Breakfast is of exceptional quality and room service is perfect.
And the icing on the cake for me.......the plastic flowers in the lobby have been replaced with huge vases of fresh blooms.
This hotel has character. If you want soulless, go stay in a travel motel."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of September 2004

Top stay no complaints.

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"My family of 5 stayed for weekend in sept, 3 boys of 7,9,15 all in a good size family room with 2 doubles & bed settee, room was clean, food was excellant with the breakfast superb, we filled up at breakfast & only needed a snack at Lunch, used the pool & sauna with the kids, which we all enjoyed,reasonable size for a hotel, tram stop outside, staff friendly,expected the hotel bar to be expensive so shock horror we drank in the town!! Why another reviewer is finding fault with not being told about the facilites when they checked in!!! They obviously use the net, why didn't they research it like most people do? or at least ask the staff about the facilities. We had no complaints & would stay there again."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of September 2004

Not quite what was advertised (Again!)

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Imperial during September 2004.
On arrival we were checked in quickly but were not informed about any facilities the hotel had to offer.
Our room on the fourth floor was quite small but like the bathroom was clean. Some of the nearby rooms were occupied by staff members and on the first night we were disturbed at 4.30 am by loud talking and banging doors however this was the only time it happened.
We took no meals at the hotel except for breakfast which was good. Drinks in the bar were expensive. but we havent stayed at a hotel which wasnt.
Contact with the staff was limited but those we spoke to were friendly.
We didnt visit the pool area.
In summary, the Imperial was much like Blackpool itself, rather shabby and faded in places and no longer the destination for decerning travelers,"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2004

did they stay at the same hotel as me?????

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Must be a different imperial hotel in blackpool!! Service was excellent, food was outstanding - gets 5 stars from us - even if the fire alarm went off at 8am on the Saturday!!.
Room was also great - can not fault this hotel, especially if you compare it to others in Blackpool!"

Shoe box rooms

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"This is the third time I have stayed here (ok so I only thought it was two but I showed my dad the photos and apparently I stayed there when I was 5).

The hotel itself is on the Noth Shore, which makes it a bit of a long walk to the centre of the Sea Front, and even further to Pleasure beach. Those of you who have done the Golden Mile will know that Blackpool Tower is, in fact, on wheels and is pushed away by munchkins just as you think you're getting close. On the upside the tram stop is opposite the hotel.

I have no real complaint about the service in the hotel, or the decor, but the rooms are literally somewhere to rest your head. The first time I stayed the room was average size with a frosted glass window view of the other side of the hotel (it's sort of a big square shape with a flat roof to about 2nd floor level in the middle). The second time we were given a real 'catswinger', again with the lovely frosted window view, at least I think the window was frosted but I'm also not sure how long it was since it saw a bucket of soapy water.

A good hotel if you're there for a lively weekend and can get a good deal on the room price, but not if you plan to spend a lot of time in your room / shoe box.

Dad's comment: Apparently when we stayed there in the early 80s some of the rooms didn't have en-suite facilities, which may account for their size now."

Better 2nd time around

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"2nd visit to The Imperial for the Illuminations - yet again can't fault the service from start to finish. Had an absolutely wonderful stay.
Room spotless and lovely, waiters on the ball, especially ours who made you feel he was only serving you! Room service quick and reception staff always efficient and polite.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend at all."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of September 2004

very eratic hotel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"we were so disapointed -change that to disgusted --with the service on our first visit we complained vey strongly and were give a complimenary stay
but only after very forceful complaints . we use this hotel group many time s a year buut threatened never to do so again

on check out my bill was no where near correct i complained the recepionist was at best disinterested but did change the items i was charged for but did not have

i had complained about the terrible dinner we had on both nights and after paying the bill the manager was acctually waiting to check if everything had improved after my complaints

i told him about the mistakes on the bill and also added that the bill was still not correct even after this but i had just paid anyway .
i asked him if he would be prepared to correct the bill even though i had paid it he assured me it would be no problem
so that being his attitiude i gave him my credit card and asked him to charge an extra £100 to the card as i had been under charged by that amount !!!!
they really could not organise a booze up in a brewery

on my return , at their expense, we expected for everything to be tip top as they all knew why i was there

be even now there were several things wrong in our room

dinner had improved but not a lot

breakfast good on th first vist was definatly worse this time

check out was better but as i had no charges even they could not mess that up
or so i though but they still charged me for newspapers we did not have

the building is really elegant but definatly showing its age

final opinion if you are thinking of staying here dont use the nearby hilton istead wedo now it is much better"

• Travel date: Tue 17th of August 2004

Disappointing

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Stayed 19th July 2004, one night: Most beautiful Victorian building with some amazing public rooms.
Don't stay here except in a front or side room where you will view the promenade and sea. The view from the back rooms is very poor - over the hotel back and streets, which is very unattractive.
Bedroom was quite small, with just one chair for a twin room - logic? Room facilities and beds were quite good but the bathroom was disgusting - the porcelain was cleaned ok - but the tiles held months of dirt. (Room 352 July 19 2004). (I rate it ‘terrible’ for this alone, which is inexcusable). This and ‘economy’ toilet tissue killed it for me.

Breakfast was fine but the room was very hot. Didn’t eat dinner. The bar staff (No. 10 bar) should be working elsewhere.

A very big shame as it could be so good."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of August 2004

Pleasently suprised after reading previous reviews!!

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"I was a bit nervous after booking this hotel and then reading the reviews, but me and my husband have just come back from a great weekend in Blackpool. Ok, we had got rid of the kids and the weather couldn't have been better, so that really helped.

We were quickly checked in and entered the room to find a bit of a smoke smell, even though we soon forgot about this. Other than that the room was very nice. It is a grand old hotel so I wasn't expecting plush modern interiors. Only ate breakfast here which was lovely. The pool wasn't very big or the water very clear, but I enjoyed a swim and a steam room anyway.

Would deinately go back again."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of August 2004

Had a lovely time....

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Stayed at The Imperial Hotel this weekend Friday and Saturday 21st - 23rd of May 2004 with a group of friends including a 5 year old. Thought the staff were friendly and helpful, all said a cheery "hello" whenever we walked past them. Rooms were all fine, clean and well proportioned. Ate in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast and enjoyed it all. The staff even managed to sort out fish fingers and chips (with ketchup) for a very hungry 5 year old without any fuss. The only downside was the noise and disturbances in the coridors outside all of our rooms (3 in total) on different floors, during the early hours. We were delivered room service at 1.20am, which we had not ordered and my neice was woken by a couple playing football at approximately 2am. Overall, we had a lovely stay in a very grand hotel and would certainly return and recommend it to our family and friends."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of May 2004

A pleasant surprise

Reviewed Tue 2nd of August 2016

"We got a deal on this hotel and booked for a one night stay with dinner, bed and breakfast and a bottle of wine at such good value for mid-summer that our expectations were suspiciously low. How wrong could we be!
We were met by wonderfully friendly staff at Reception who were welcoming and professional and provided us with all the information we needed to make full use of the facilities and find our way round, etc. (Special thanks here to Diane for laughing at/putting up with my partner's attempts at Blackpool humour!!)
Our room (a first floor, side room near the front of the hotel with a view of the sea from the bay window) was very clean and spacious. It had an ante room with dressing table, wardrobe, chest of drawers and tea/coffee making facilities, leading into a large bedroom with king size bed, bedside cabinets, large screen TV, two armchairs and a coffee table in the bay, and through into a large, light (window which opened) bathroom with a full size bath and shower over. The bed was very comfortable too.
It didn't stop there though. Dinner was superb from start to finish. All the staff were attentive, friendly and efficient. There was a good choice of dishes and the food itself was beautifully cooked, well presented and delicious. We couldn't believe our luck! Breakfast too lived up to the standard of the night before, with carefully cooked, wide ranging choice and plentiful too. All the staff were pleasant and we never felt rushed. We were especially grateful to Kate for her pleasant and attentive service and also to the lady Maitre D', whose name sadly we did not get, who made us feel very welcome.
There were minor niggles - the coffee I was served in the bar on arrival (both the original cup and the replacement when I complained) was horrible - I could not drink either - and overpriced. We had to request a small bar of soap as this was not provided in the bathroom - a request which was readily met by the Reception staff - but it seemed strange to be expected to use the bath products (one small tube of shower gel and one of shampoo) for hand washing. We also had a TV which was only tuned into BBC 1 and 2 and a remote control which didn't work.
Architecturally, 'The Imperial' is an amazing, stately building reflecting a bygone era at every turn. I especially loved looking along the ground floor corridor from the dining room towards Reception. You could almost see the men and women of Victorian/Edwardian times walking gracefully along it. Location-wise - an easy walk to North and Central Piers and situated on the front with an open view of the sea.
A great experience all round and an incredible find. Thank you to all concerned.

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of August 2016

Great stay

Reviewed Tue 22nd of July 2014

"Would recommend this hotel stayed there twice up to now and would like to go again for my 65th birthday if I could get the same room 407 lovely sea view clean room very nice staff can't ask for more thanks to all the staff Don Riley."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of July 2014

Hotels near The Imperial Hotel

Stayed at The Imperial Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for The Imperial Hotel

• Journeyman by Journeyman

"Blackpool Tower - fantastic value for money but book online!! "

• clarkja69 by clarkja69

"If you can afford the extra I would advise booking a premium room for the added extras and the sea view "

• K F C by K F C

"Get a deal which includes dinner, bed and breakfast. You will not be disappointed! "

The Imperial Hotel is also called