Good

didnt get any sleep AT ALL!

Reviewed 20th September 2016

"Small box room with a brick wall view,quite stuffy so opened the tatty old sash window only to hear air conditioning units buzzing all nite,coupled with the fact they have the most uncomfortable beds in the world, don't expect a good nites sleep unless you've took a second mortgage to fund the bar bill 1st. My advice if you're stopping here is take an air bed a desk fan and sneak your own booze in (or just go camping instead!).."

• Travel date: 6th September 2016

Pleasent Hotel, Beware of Thieves!

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"I stayed in the Cliffs in July 2007. First impressions of the hotel - pleasent, clean, friendly staff. The room had a view of a brick wall, not great but you can get that in any hotel. (It's not something that bothers me enough to complain!) The room was clean, had cable tv, telephone, tea and coffee facilities, and a basic bathroom. Rooms were serviced everyday, (i stayed four nights and there was 16 people in my group). There was a small pool and gym in the hotel also. This hotel is great for kids as it has a kids club and holds events like kids disco's etc. We got to use the pool only on the first day, but to be honest the pool staff weren't the best -read on. On the second day, the pool was closed and the staff advised us that a child had defecated in the pool and it was being cleaned. The pool remained closed for the next 3 days. The restaurant was ok, breakfast was great, but dinner was average. All food was served within about 1min of ordering it (quite worrying!) but the food wasn't anything to complain about or rave about, it was average. The hotel had 4 bars, 3 of which were quite big, and 2 restaurants. The entertainment was good, definitely suited for the older tourists though. Location wise, its not the best. It's about 2.5 miles away from Blackpool tower etc. Trams are frequent enough though, and there is a tram stop outside the hotel. Until the last day, i really had enjoyed my stay at the Cliffs, but beware as there is no air conditioning and the rooms get extremely warm. On the last day i returned to the room to find it had been cleaned and my mobile phone was missing from my room. Only then did i take heed of the signs in the rooms that said to put any valuables in the reception safe! I notified reception staff and they were very helpful but i realized there was probably no way of getting it back. I let it go and proceeded to check out, only to find that another member of the group i had been travelling with had expensive hair straighteners taken from her room also. Luckily, some members of our group stayed on an extra couple of days and kept querying the stolen items with reception staff. The straightener was given back but it appeared that staff were probably trying to hold on to it as there was some reluctance in handing the item back. Another member of my group ordered drinks at the bar to the right of reception, left his change on the bar (for about 10 seconds, it was £30) and turned around and it was gone! So to be honest, i had a good stay at the cliffs but BEWARE OF THIEVES and use the safe's!"

• Travel date: 19th September 2007

waste of money

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Well, where do I start.My husband and I booked into the hotel for my husbands 40th birthday, we wanted to be near the attractions and the firework display but not to close to all the noise from the centre, so after being told how good it was and reading good reveiws on this hotel we dicided to book. The biggest mistake ever. We arrived in the foyer and could see into the bar area. It looked like the local drop in / age concern centre. Not to be put off we went upto our room. The room was plesant enough and clean. We opened the curtains to find we had a view of a brick wall, the windows must have never been cleaned on the outside they where filthy. We got ourselves ready for the evening meal and then we where greeted and showed to a table everything seemed fine . We then ordered our starters, these arrived within 30 seconds of being ordered, but one was a cold starter and the other one was soup. The soup was like dishwater with cubes of potatoes in it. it was supposed to be leek and potatoe. The waiter then asked what we would like for our main course I ordered chicked stuffed with mushrooms, wrapped in ham and in a cream and herb sauce, my husband ordered salmon with shrimp sauce. This then also appeared in 30 seconds, my husbands salmon was floating in water and my chicken still had blood in it. We got them to take it away and bring us fresh this also didn`t look that edible. I tried a little bit of the sauce, this was a tin of soup that had been poured over the chicken. We complained at reception in the morning after listening to the disco which could be clearly heard on the third floor above the rattling air conditioning unit that was situated outside our window. The receptionist didn`t seem to care . I would have rather slept on the sea front . Beware don`t go there. A complete waste of £89."

• Travel date: 7th September 2007

Great Hotel Shame About The Heat

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Great Hotel, Food and service excellent the only thing which spolit our trip was the heat in the rooms there were horrendous, we were in 127 on the first floor we overlooked a flat roof as did 10 other rooms all of which could easily gain access into other rooms via the windows which you had to keep open because of the heat, god help anyone staying there in the winter with the heating on. The windows were only supposed to be able to open a few inches (so the woman on reception told us) so as people could open them but no one could climb in them, this was not the case our window opened about 2 - 3 feet big enough for someone to climb in. the only thing stopping our window opening further was the ceiling. Apart from that a good value for money hotel a little out the way with excellent service."

• Travel date: 16th August 2007

What a disgrace

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"I cannot express strongly enough how awful this hotel is. We decidid at the last minute to take our four children to blackpool over night and got the cliffs on the internet. We phoned them to book and then to make sure they had a cot for our son. No problem they said. When we arrived, parking is bad so we had to park half a mile down a side street. We checked in and the staff were curt to say the least. The rooms were cleanish, windows were filthy though. On arrival the third bed wasn't there in one room and no cot in the other so we phoned down and they said it would be organised, so we went out and got back at 11.30pm and guess what? ...No cot and a bed not made up. As you can imagine at that time with tired kids and tired mum and dad, we were not happy. On phoning reception, we were told hey didn't know where the cots were kept, so with nowhere for our four month old baby to sleep we had to drive 2 hours all the way home. Now as full payment was taken on arrival, and conveniently noone was able to refund at that time of night, it remains to be seen if we get a refund, will keep you posted, In short, the staff are unfriendly, the hotel is dated and worn, the rooms are just ok, the bathrooms are small and orange! didn't sample the food so can't comment on that but all i can say is that this hotel should have a sign on the door saying enter at your own risk. please don't visit this hotel, it's nasty"

• Travel date: 30th July 2007

Top Hotel, Clean, Friendly Helpfull Staff, Great Food and Entertainment

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"The Cliffs Hotel is a must when you plan a break in Blackpool. The rooms are always clean, the food great as is the entertainment . The swimming pool is a good size . I would suggest that you will not find the same quality and service for anywhere near the price!.....Overall a great hotel on the Queens Promanade (North Shore)...but only a 5 Min Tram ride to the centre of Blackpool."

• Travel date: 22nd July 2007

Good for children

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"Have tried a few hotels over the years in Blackpool - some better than others. The Cliffs on the whole is quite a nice hotel. We thought the entertainment venue was nice and had a cabaret feel. The food was okay but have had better in Blackpool. The room was a nice size and overlooked the sea - always nice to look out on to - though the window is very small. Our only main complaint, would be the children. They are seemingly allowed to run riot through the hotel at all hours, both by their parents and the hotel staff. Our room was at the top of a wide staircase and we could hear the children running up and down the stair and along the corridors quite late at night. The hotel overall is very good value for money."

• Travel date: 11th July 2007

Food was great!!

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Cliffs Hotel. In the taxi on the way there we noticed it was quite a way away from all the life and amusements in Blackpool. When we arrived, the staff were really friendly and checked us in within minutes. When we got to our floor you could tell that the hotel needed updating but this was in progress already. The rooms have recently been done, my only gripe was the brown bathroom suite, but we didnt really spent that nuch time in the room. Dinner was served between 6:30 - 8:30pm and the food was great! The waiter service was really nice and food was served quick and they dealt with every fussy need we had. Entertainment was a bit cheesy but what else do you expect from Blackpool?? Breakfast again was great, couldnt have asked for anything else. Overall we couldnt have picked a better hotel. Yes its a tram/bus/taxi ride away from all the amusements but after walking further down the front during the day and again at night, I think we got the better end of the deal!!! I would definately reccomend to both families and couples!!"

• Travel date: 2nd July 2007

Run the choice hotel group

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I Booked via Laterooms I added in the comments box that I requested a room near the lift and a sea view. Next morning hotel phoned me to say that they received my booking but my room does not have a sea view and is not near a lift, that if I wanted a room with a view and near a lift it would be an extra £10 per person per night. Total of £40 extra. I agreed to this but now know the comment boxes are just a way for the hotel to make more money so I won't be making that mistake again. Why couldn't they just have given me that room in the first place? Anyway Hotel looked nice parking is minimal though, we eventually got parked on a side street near the hotel (after which we didnt want to move the car incase we didnt get a space again so tram'd and taxi'd it everywhere). Checking in was no problem although they did take full payment upfront which I was surprised at. On exiting the lift I was delighted to note that my room (211) was directly opposite the lift doors. The room did have an amazing view but the narrow very dirty windows made it dissapointing. Room was very clean the two single beds were very narrow more like bunk bed size but they were very comfy. The lamp above my bed had a too high wattage bulb in it, it was very bright and had burn marks on the shade so I couldnt use it. Plenty storage in the bedroom although the bathroom lacked a decent sized shelf. There was a tiny one which sloped towards you so it was useless. Bath was small and had no handrails on the wall also the socket on the other side of the shower curtain looked a bit dodgy as its easy to get it wet. The telephone in the room rang every 10 mins or so I complained and hotel told me its a fault and their waiting for BT to repair it. It was annoying and not convenient as we had to turn it off for the whole time we were there. After a bath the bedroom window had steamed up and i noticed someone had wrote [--] on the window. I later complained and was told someone would clean it. The nightlme entertainment at the hotel was good and well organised. The food was excellent absolutely no complaints about that. I didn't manage down to the leisure centre but another guest I spoke to said it was terrific. The cliffs hotel is a £2 tram ride into town and £5/6 in a taxi. On checking out off the hotel I mentioned that the room window had not been cleaned and stll had writing on it Isaid I thought it very unfair that I had been charged an extra £40 for the view and was told that they would refund it, I would be sent a cheque as i had paid upfront they couldnt give it to me in cash, EH?? Anyone understand that one? Anyway I will post back on Trip Advisor when I receive the cheque. Overall I did enjoy the hotel and I would go back. Although It would be nice if the hotel spent a small amount of money fitting handrails above the bath and storage space in the bathroom for toiletries. PS. Blackpool didn't let me down as it rained the whole trip."

• Travel date: 1st July 2007

Very unpleasant staff

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"My husband and i have just returned from a 5 night break from this hotel upon arrival the reception area looked as though it could do with a good clean we arrived there at 11am but could not check in until 2pm so we went to the cafe within the hotel which was very expensive we were then allocated our room at 2pm when we approached our room we had to climb over lots of laundry the room was very small and hot i then realised we were next door to the laundry i approached the reception to which they are not very pleasant but allocated us another room the rooms are not clean marks on the carpets dust ect curtains did not fit the windows correctly (let all the light in). The restaurant was very large but the service was very poor no choice as my husband is allergic to meat we explained this to several waiters but they were not english so didnt understand one waiter kept tapping me on the shoulder every time he passed and could not eat in peace!! On the 3rd night of our stay we got in the lift with several others and the lift broke down so another guest pressed the emergency button and it took 10 to 15 minutes to respond which was totally out of order as i suffer from claustophobia i was very panicky when the night porter eventually arrived he opened the lift doors and put a ashtray in between the doors my husband then looked at the doors and realised he could get us both out when we got out of the lift the night porter was very abbussive towards my husband which we reported to the manager but he lacked of interest to our complaint I am in the process of writing a letter of complaint to the director of the hotel I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE!!!"

• Travel date: 15th June 2007

Over - Priced and Over-Rated

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Not Impressed, Parking not good (about 25 spaces for a large hotel, be prepared to park elsewhere). The hotel is very outdated, in need of a serious facelift, the food was terrible and the menus worse!!! The smell in the dining room very unpleasant, The rooms very small, even though we upgraded, and stunk of cigerettes, we smoke ourselves but even this was too much, it took the full 3 nights we were staying and the window open constantly to get rid of the smell!!! The barman was a miserable sod and half the staff could bearly speak English!!! The only good thing I could find in this hotel was the leisure facilities and the helpful reception staff. Other than that I would not return and wouldnt recommend!!"

• Travel date: 5th June 2007

Good Value Hotel

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"A group of 8 of us stayed at the hotel 25-28 May 2007. Have stayed in a number of so called top hotels in Blackpool over the years and this is one of the best. All of our rooms were lovely and had recently been decorated. The food was great, the waiter service was excellent and very quick. The hotel is in the middle of being revamped but it never caused us any problems. The entertainment is a little dated but it does cater for the masses. The only slight niggle I had was our room was directly opposite the stairwell on the third floor and there were still small children running up and down the stairs and screaming well after midnight on some nights but overall I would definately return to this hotel."

• Travel date: 29th May 2007