rubbish

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"stopped at travel lodge blackpool central end of oct 3 rooms at 45 each for 3 nights the fan in toilet on all of the time rooms to dark shower blocked up doors banging all night trouble on landing great veiw give me travel inn any time"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of November 2009

Filthy dirty and understaffed but great location with a wonderful view...

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"We stayed for 4 nights at £9 a night and got a room with a gorgeous sea view. The room was modern and reception staff polite and helpful but this hotel has problems.

The staff admit that this Travelodge is understaffed. There were no managers present at any point during our stay and the one member of staff at reception was left (against her wishes) in charge of the hotel. There were constant queues at reception, mainly made up of people who wanted to change room because of cleanliness complaints.

This hotel is a modern conversion and only opened last Christmas. I very much doubt that the windows have been cleaned once since then or that anyone had ever attached the nozzle to the hoover to get into the corners of the rooms as bits of the carpet were caked in a thick layer of dust. There was blood or ketchup smeared down one wall and a greenish-yellowy liquid splashed around the sink that we could only hope was cleaning fluid.

The problem was that we didn't want to move rooms as we had a sea view and, from hearing other people's complaints, doubted it'd be any better in a different room. We also felt bad complaining as the poor woman on reception was clearly under far too much pressure and being asked to do things beyond the remit of her job. When we did complain the cleaners were brought to our room so that I could show them what was wrong with it and explain how they could improve. Agh! We ended up providing our own bin bags and disposable cups as the hotel were awaiting a delivery.

The maddening thing is that I would probably still recommend this place. The view, price and location on Talbot Square by North Pier (and close to Blackpool North train station) are big plus points. And it was quiet too (although we did stay midweek...)"

• Travel date: Sat 7th of November 2009

great hotel great location

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We stayed here for 2 nights in october fri /sat night , we had the same problem you couldnt check in until 3.00.pm fair enough it does state that when you book, we had a
lovely room with great views, we parked the car in the Hounds Hill shopping centre only £15 for the two nights , Location is great it's only a 5 minute walk to the Soul Suite which I thoroughly reccomend if you are into a bit of northern soul or tamla, we would definately stay here again very convenient for everything."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of October 2009

Great!

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Stayed here for one night for my sister's hen do - staff were great and very helpful.

Got a room with a sea view, which was nice.

Like the bottle opener attached to the table!

Tea/coffee making facilities also.

Bar and breakfast service was all good - the food was very lovely.

I would stay here again, no complaints at all!"

• Travel date: Fri 4th of September 2009

What a bargain, great location

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Have just got back from a family 3 night stay at travelodge central Blackpool. We had five rooms, including a well equipped disabled room. The rooms overlooking the sea front were better than the ones at the back with mucky windows. The family members staying in the rooms above the pub and nightclub were disturbed by the banging of the music. However, the rooms were clean and staff helpful. There is a long queue at 3pm when it is checking in time and the lady would not check us in at 2.58pm we had to wait until 3.00pm!!!! On the whole a good value saty for £20 a night."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of August 2009

The shower curtain is in the wash

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"My partner and I stayed at the Blackpool Central hotel on 04/08/09. Firstly upon arrival at reception at 1330 hours we were told that we were unable to book into our rooms until 1500 hours (unless a £10 charge was paid). This was reasonable. We spent the next hour or so in the Travelodge bar and at 1450 hours went to reception to book in. The attendant said that we would have to wait another 10 minutes (?!). I felt that this was very pedantic. We had to sit and wait another 10 minutes for no reason whatsoever. When arriving in the room there were two problems. Firstly there was no shower curtain. Secondly the two cups for the tea/coffee facilitys were dirty, had tea stains around the base and sides. I went to reception - the attendant replaced the cups but offered no apology and said that the shower curtain was 'in the wash.' I found this quite unbelievable and he offered to send more towels up to mop up the water (!). By this time my expextation of travelodge had hit rock bottom so i took him up on the offer and he said he would bring some towels up. We returned to the hotel at 2130 hours to find two members of staff in full uniform stood smoking directly outside the entrance to the hotel. Being a smoker I would not want to deprive any worker of a cigarette but i feel that done so in such open view just looks unprofessional. It was a bad example to set to the many familys and small children walking past the hotel at this time. Suffice to say upon returning to the room no extra towels had been placed in the room. I was very disappointed with the stay and would definately look elsewhere for a future stay. It is noted rooms tend to be cheaper than say main competitors such as Premier Inn but the difference in service is well worth the extra cost. It is sad however - good manners and service cost nothing."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of August 2009

good hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We visited Blackpool Central Travelodge for a bargain £9 a room internet booking.
To be honest for that price we thought the worse room in the hotel would be ours.
We were wrong we had a clean comfortable air conditionend room with sea view
The rooms are a little on the small size but have a decent shower .
There is a nice flat screened tv approx 20inch with about 8 channels.
also you get a small kettle and tea/coffee if you ask for more supplies most travelodges will give you them.
Storage for clothes is limited just a few hangers in a wall contraption.
Nice helpfull staff (Lewis) in particular. He tried to get our air con working but when he couldn't we had a room swap within a few mins.
Has cafe bar but special offer of cream tea for 99p was too popular and ran out of cream so we did not eat there.
Very good value Yates wine bar next door 2 meals for £5.95 or a burger chips and pint of fosters for £4.95 we had the latter and it was good especially with temperatues in the 80's outside.
Altogether a bargain break but the north pier is in the process of much needed work and the sea front was being toughend up after winter storms.
The tower is a bit of rip off these days £12 each and they chuck you out at 5pm. It used to stay open till 1am They have an evening show now cost approx£15 to watch rock legends (impersonators) erm not my thing so we didn't bother going to the tower at all so that was sad.
They even want £5 to go into the pleasure plus extra for the rides getting greedy I think"

• Travel date: Mon 6th of July 2009

Great Value- depending on which room you get!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I travel all over Europe and in the UK so I am very experienced in staying at all grades of hotels. This new central Blackpool hotel is an excellent choice - depending on which room you are allocated and which night of the week you stay there. We stayed on a Monday evening (Easter weekend) and although the rooms are triple glazed- you can hear the distant thud of the bass of the music coming from the clubs/pubs situated nearby. It did not spoil our stay as the music stopped at midnight but if you were staying there on a Friday or Saturday night it could go on until the early hours. It is Blackpool and you are staying central so you expect this but to be forewarned is better than it coming as an unexpected suprise.

The rooms, although all the same price, are completley different in size,my partner and I were first allocated a room overlooking the courtyard of the adjacent pub where the smokers go, so we asked for another room,this was even worse, it was like a boxroom with hardly any space to move around the double bed (we are both very slim by the way), we were then allocated another room with a seaview which was twice as big as the previous room (it was still a double room and not a family room) and all was well. All the rooms we were given had air-conditioning.

If you come by car, you have to pay to park your car in the nearby multi-storey, so you might be better staying at one of the other 2 Travelodges which are not as central as this one if parking is an issue. The hotel is superbly situated opposite the North Pier, Tram stop, shopping centre 200 yards away and the pubs and clubs on your door step.

We had breakfast at the hotel - £5.99 if booked on line and under 15's eat free per 1 paying adult - great value for families and anyone who can eat a big breakfast which is buffet style consisting of cereals,juice,scrambled eggs (no fried eggs), bacon, sausage,beans, tomatoes and toast.

If you can get a good price and a decently situated room(allocated on arrival) and its not a Friday or Saturday night, then go for it and book. For price versus quality and cleanliness its unbeatable and I will stay there again."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of July 2009

Highly recommended

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Stayed on a Saturday night in a very modern, very very clean, very spacious air conditioned double room with a sea view, great location ......for £39 a room????? What more can I say??? You can't go wrong..I can't fault it...very impressed!!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of June 2009

A pleasant surprise

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I chose this hotel as I wanted somewhere central in Blackpool without paying the earth as I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time in the hotel.

I booked the room for £40 via Travelodge website. It was a "saver" price which meant is was non-refundable if I needed to cancel my trip. Full price was about £59, I think, but this price was refundable. I pre-paid online and was sent a booking confirmation.

The hotel is directly opposite the North Pier and couldn't have been more central if I had tried. The hotel was about a 10 minute walk from Blackpool North railway station and was easy to find. I made my way by the stairs to the reception on the first floor (2 lifts are also available) and was greeted by the sight of 5 people queuing to check-in. I put this down to the time being 15.10 as you can't check-in before 15.00. Anyway, the queue was quickly dealt with by the 2 staff on reception and it was soon my turn to check-in. I passed my e-mail confirmation to the friendly member of staff and had my door card within a minute. He explained that as well as needing my card for my room, I would need it for the floor to my room and also to enter the hotel after 23.00.

My room on the same level as receptionwhich meant me walking through the cafe bar area. It was unoccupied at the time, b ut looked spotless. The room was just what I would expect from Travelodge: double bed, desk/chair, hangers for my clothes (no wardrobe, just a rail). The window was double-glazed. The bathroom was in fact a showeroom (which I noted from their website was typical of every room in this hotel so no surprises there). The shower cubicle itself was plenty big enough. Hand towel and bath towel were on a rail. A small tablet of soap was the only other thing in evidence in the bathroom (this was also mentioned on the website). The shower itself was powerful and there was no shortage of hot water. I just had to make sure the shower curtain was inside the shower cubicle to avoid flooding the bathroom.

I returned to the hotel about 23.45 after a night out and my heart sank a little as I approached it: a typical Friday night in Blackpool was in full swing with plenty of revellers in the street and music from the bar below my room thumping out. I was resigned to my not getting any sleep until the early hours. How wrong I was. Despite my room being immediately above the bar, I could only hear the faintest of "thumping" from the music and absolutley no noise from the party-goers in the street. Amazing! The room was warm with the duvet on the bed providing enough warmth. I was awaoken briefly in the night by somebody talking in the corridor, but I have experienced this in other hotels I have stopped at, so couldn't blame Travelodge for this!

After another hot shower in the morning, I placed my card key in the drop off box and left the hotel with no fuss. Breakfast was in full service when I left with diners helping themselves to what seemed to be a decent buffet breakfast (both hot and continental). I think the cost for this was about £7."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of April 2009